Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomdog45 said:
great game drewie, one word of advice, get out of the habit of kicking torps into 50.

Agree with that. He did the same thing against West Coast. Makes it very tough for the forwards to mark.

I'd still prefer to develop Hale in the ruck and have Drew do those 1%ers at CHF.

Would any other play be so comprensively and consistantly beaten in their position and have this much praise?

I like him, as much as I like all the North players but it hurts when we are getting murdered in the ruck and end up murdered in the midfield, particularly in clearances, when he is rucking. I don't want him out of the side, just out of the ruck. Let him do the forward line ruckwork and he can still push into the midfield and get his possessions there.

Just develop Hale who has the potential to be a decent ruckman in the years to come. Laidley keeps using Hale during the crunch time of games, late in the games against Eagles, Crows and now Port. He can't realistically expect him to go from cold turkey to star in the ruck in the last 5-10 minutes in games when games are in the balance.

Really liked Drew's game today. Had a real impact around the ground. He has been steadily improving over the past month.

His big problem is that he gets annihilated in the ruck contests, which is annoying because he is playing the around the ground ruckman role really in all other facets. Hopefully Spider B can put some extra hours into his rucking over the summer and turn this around for him.

Hale must be hurting pretty bad to be spending such little amounts of time in the ruck at the moment.

That's a fair call by Briedis (on the CHF call). I'm not convincied Drew is CHF material. The problem is, he's not really a dominant ruckman either. I don't know if Laidley's trying to develop him into one in the Corey McKernan style or just using him as a make-shift while Hale develops and we look for a true ruckman.
Petrie's value comes in giving a lot around the ground and having great ticker. That's what's good in having him on the ball. For me, it's hard to say where his ideal position on the ground is though.
BTW Briedis - just spotted you're a Manly supporter. That's two heart-stopping games in one day for you. The blood pressure must have taken a beating.

RooVegas said:
That's a fair call by Briedis (on the CHF call). I'm not convincied Drew is CHF material. The problem is, he's not really a dominant ruckman either. I don't know if Laidley's trying to develop him into one in the Corey McKernan style or just using him as a make-shift while Hale develops and we look for a true ruckman.
Petrie's value comes in giving a lot around the ground and having great ticker. That's what's good in having him on the ball. For me, it's hard to say where his ideal position on the ground is though.
BTW Briedis - just spotted you're a Manly supporter. That's two heart-stopping games in one day for you. The blood pressure must have taken a beating.

Bloody Manly.... :mad:

What about Drew for the old Ruck Rover type role? :)

Tas said:
He (JYD) can't realistically expect him (Hale) to go from cold turkey to star in the ruck in the last 5-10 minutes in games when games are in the balance.

It's the JYD 'brainstorm' factor. :p Get use to it Tas. JYD may get transcripts of BF Roos posters reccommendations but at the end of the day, the players turn those instructions inside out and make JYD the villian, mastermind or just emotionally drained. I can feel for him sometimes as many things that we think is JYD's tactic may well be any players initiative to 'come alive' or 'hit the snooze button'. Not even Nostadumus can predict what's gonna happen next.

As for Drew, great game around the ground. As long as he plays in FRONT and has teammates front, side and crumbling from behind, I'm happy.

Briedis said:
Did you watch Drew play CHF for the past two season?

What he did today he could have done from the CHF position.

He hasn't been good at CHF but he is worse as a ruckman, we have 6 forwards for players to go to, we only have one person that rucks, you can't afford letting the opposition get 3x the hitouts every week.

He has failed as a traditional CHF but nothing stops him playing at CHF and dragging a defender out into the middle, open up the forward line a bit and he can do all his 1% stuff out there where he is not getting in anyones way. It is not like we have a CHF at present.

Woodson said:
It's the JYD 'brainstorm' factor. :p Get use to it Tas. JYD may get transcripts of BF Roos posters reccommendations but at the end of the day, the players turn those instructions inside out and make JYD the villian, mastermind or just emotionally drained. I can feel for him sometimes as many things that we think is JYD's tactic may well be any players initiative to 'come alive' or 'hit the snooze button'. Not even Nostadumus can predict what's gonna happen next.

As for Drew, great game around the ground. As long as he plays in FRONT and has teammates front, side and crumbling from behind, I'm happy.

I'm not blaming JYD, he is trying the make the most out of a side which has some KPP deficiencies, has done okay.

I just think we have a great midfield and we are getting so little out of them because they have to not only beat their man but have to beat their men getting spoon fed by their ruckman all the time and its a freaking mircale we are 11/7 when we are getting pants every week in the ruck.

For Hale to show such promise and then just revert back to Petrie 95% in the ruck is a major disappointment. He is not going to get better on the bench. He would seriously be better off playing at Port.

Think most of this would be agreed with. Wouldn't surprise me that Dean is protecting Hale a bit after a rough few weeks with injury. Just because he's becoming a better player doesn't mean his body won't still take more time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Hale Protection

Tas said:
I just think we have a great midfield and we are getting so little out of them because they have to not only beat their man but have to beat their men getting spoon fed by their ruckman all the time and its a freaking mircale we are 11/7 when we are getting pants every week in the ruck.

For Hale to show such promise and then just revert back to Petrie 95% in the ruck is a major disappointment. He is not going to get better on the bench. He would seriously be better off playing at Port.

Playing at Port ? Hale ? don't go there Tas. I agree with you what our midfield have to encounter each week but it's the BIG PICTURE JYD is looking at by keeping Hale safe. I can understand & appreciate that. If we gave Hamish a run instead of Hale like u have have hinted, it's a similiar situation to Hale. I reckon JYD has most likely downgraded Hamish.

shintemaster said:
Think most of this would be agreed with. Wouldn't surprise me that Dean is protecting Hale a bit after a rough few weeks with injury. Just because he's becoming a better player doesn't mean his body won't still take more time.

I too have thought perhaps Hale is being protected (due to recent heavy knocks) by keeping him out of the ruck. But CHF is hardly the position for protection.

2 Interesting Points

Petrie was Top 5 in the game for Rebounding. Suggests he did a lot of good work down back

Hale spent a of time off the field after he got crunched in the first quarter. Laidley was probably trying to protect him

Petrie is doing ok, and at present seems to be our best around the ground option.

He still isn't in our best 22 going forward as he neither has the CHF or ruck prowess to be included in a successful side but if the more talented juniors continue to struggle with form and injury, he might be there for a while, because one thing he doesn't lack is heart.

Moti said:
Petrie is doing ok, and at present seems to be our best around the ground option.

He still isn't in our best 22 going forward as he neither has the CHF or ruck prowess to be included in a successful side but if the more talented juniors continue to struggle with form and injury, he might be there for a while, because one thing he doesn't lack is heart.

You still can't bring yourself to give Petrie an unconditional pat on the back, huh?

Have never doubted his heart or his intentions, just his overall ability.

Did you see some of his kicks in the first half?? Rex has a great German word for them.

For an unconditional pat on the back, he will have to prove his overall worth, but hey, its only me :D

shintemaster said:
I get the same feeling. I think JYD has somewhat butchered Drew's development as a ruckman as I believe he has something to offer in that position. Don't forget ruckmen generally don't hit their straps until about 27.

Moti said:
Did you see some of his kicks in the first half?? Rex has a great German word for them.

Slightly selective.

Did any North players hit a target in the first half? Jam packed full of rubbish, and all of them were responsible at some point. Alot more of them were worse than Drew.

Woodson said:
Playing at Port ? Hale ? don't go there Tas. I agree with you what our midfield have to encounter each week but it's the BIG PICTURE JYD is looking at by keeping Hale safe. I can understand & appreciate that. If we gave Hamish a run instead of Hale like u have have hinted, it's a similiar situation to Hale. I reckon JYD has most likely downgraded Hamish.

It is not about Hamish, it is about Hale playing so little game time over the last few months, especially in the ruck. I think most players that sit on the bench and play limited time lose form because they do not get to run games out.

I think a full game at Port would be better for his development than 5 minutes in the ruck in the seniors. He will get a chance to contest in 60 odd ruck contests rather than 5-10. I can only agree with the current way he is being developed only if the club wants to turn him into a forward rather than a ruckman.

We are talking about a guy that rucked all day against Everrit (because Drew injured himself in the first 5 minutes) and had more taps to advantage than the AA ruckman. Why we don't persist with him given our other options is a little mystifying. I know he has a lot of work to do, a lot of improvement required but you would think playing in the ruck was the way to go about that.

Hale will most likely see out this year with limited impact in the ruck and play a more pivital part in the ruck next year... but when you have a player like the wizard who needs a ruckmen?? I'd play Harvey in the ruck ;) if we could assure that the wiz would still get 75% of the center clearances!!!

Seemed to drop off a bit this season. Maybe a change of clubs could do wonders. With Lance Whitnall a chance to leave the blues would you guys consider this a fair trade? Personally I would like to keep Lance but not if he holds us to ransom! We may even pay some of his salary to sweeten the deal!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Back