Delisted #20: Henry Slattery - Leaving to "pursue other opportunities"

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 20. Henry Slattery

would 1 bad game against the best team we've seen since the brisbane sides of 02-03 warrant being dropped to Bendigo?
I know that im a collingwood supporter but i wouldnt do the same if say a dale thomas or scott pendlebury or even chris egan were upstaged by the might of geelong this early into the season
just my 2 cents, sorry to intrude

would 1 bad game against the best team we've seen since the brisbane sides of 02-03 warrant being dropped to Bendigo?
I know that im a collingwood supporter but i wouldnt do the same if say a dale thomas or scott pendlebury or even chris egan were upstaged by the might of geelong this early into the season
just my 2 cents, sorry to intrude

Thomas, Pendlebury and Egan are different type players to Henry Slattery, in that they've all got plenty of natural talent.

Henry's an honest battler that's made his name restricting the influence of opposition stars, and when he's not doing that, he's not anything to our side whatsoever.

He has major trouble finding the football, and his skills were a long way off acceptable against Geelong.

He's now a senior player, and he has to learn that performances like his last weekend are not acceptable.

He's now a senior player, and he has to learn that performances like his last weekend are not acceptable.

He's played two more games than Ryder and was beaten by the best player in the comp and is adjusting to a new role.

Is Ryder also a senior player?

You're a hard task marker, do you not think he has the character to have already learnt that last week wasn't acceptable?

I'd drop him this week too, but those that think he has no skill need to look back to the class he showed in his first two games.

Those that think he can't do a job need to look back on his first 32 games.

Those that think he has no future need to look at the way in games gone by he has lifted others around him with his aggression.

The kid should be afforded the time to develop. Garry Ablett will make plenty of blokes look silly this year.

He's played two more games than Ryder and was beaten by the best player in the comp and is adjusting to a new role.

You're a hard task marker, do you not think he has the character to have already learnt that last week wasn't acceptable?

I'd drop him this week too, but those that think he has no skill need to look back to the class he showed in his first two games.

Those that think he has no future need to look at the way in games gone by he has lifted others around him with his aggression.

The kid should be afforded the time to develop. Garry Ablett will make plenty of blokes look silly this year.

How poetic. Was able to lift those around him that much that we finished near the bottom 2 years in a row. All these players that we've had that apparently lift those around them however we've been pumped for the last 3 years.

How poetic. Was able to lift those around him that much that we finished near the bottom 2 years in a row. All these players that we've had that apparently lift those around them however we've been pumped for the last 3 years.

So you can't make your side better and still lose?

Thanks for clearing that up.

If you don't think Slattery has made a positive contribution to the side, that's fine. I think he has.

What you've just said there is pretty soft though.

I think we should send him back to Bendigo, and maybe just experiment with him as a attacking midfielder and maybe it could help him to become a better player and win a bit more of the ball. It'd be interesting to see how he goes.

But IMO, i think he will be replaced by Hocking, and he will take on the defensive roles in the team. He's Slattery but quicker, slightly better skills, bigger motor and attracts alot more of the pill. Hocking played well when he was played as a tagger last year for Bendigo and i reckon he'd probably do a good job at AFL level as well. Would like to see it happen for sure.

I think he is a senior player. He's been considered a first team player for the last 2 years, this his third. That's longer than plenty of guys in or around the senior side.

Ryder on the other hand played no more than development games in 2006 and only stepped up to be worthy of a week in, week out spot last year.

And is he adjusting to a new role? It's certainly not drastically different.

I have no doubt he realises that last week wasn't acceptable, I expressed that wrongly. More of what I was getting at is that for a player at his point in development, a dropping is in line for performances of last week's quality.

I'm remaining hesitant on his skill level and ability to consistently do a good holding job, but I'm not saying he's a write off. I think it's time he shows us a lot more though.

And is he adjusting to a new role? It's certainly not drastically different.

It is drastically different.

He's now a rotation midfielder, even though tagging he still rotates in and out of the midfield. He doesn't follow his player forward, back and to the bench.

There is now an emphasis on him winning more footy, which he still needs to improve and it's why I'd send him back to Bendigo this week.

But that's a big change for him, he's now playing a Mark McVeigh role rather than the complete lock down role and he's going to play bad games because of it.

I'm remaining hesitant on his skill level and ability to consistently do a good holding job

I reckon he proved that last year, however the challenge is now to hold and find footy and from what I've seen of the last two weeks I've got no doubt that's what's been asked of him.

He managed to improve against the Roos IMO and was towelled up by Ablett. But Ablett's the best in the business at the moment.

As for the Ryder, Slattery comparison in experience, Slattery went into last season having played 12 games, Ryder 9.

Not a lot of difference.

Longy, even if hes played around the same amount of games than Ryder lets not forget he is 22 and ryder is 20. In his career, hes hit the 15 possession mark only twice and thus why i think he should be dropped to develop the confidence and ball winning ability.

Longy, even if hes played around the same amount of games than Ryder lets not forget he is 22 and ryder is 20. In his career, hes hit the 15 possession mark only twice and thus why i think he should be dropped to develop the confidence and ball winning ability.

I said he should be dropped.

Alwyn Davey is the same age as Chris Judd, should we be comparing them or are they at different stages of their development?

Slattery has been in the system one year longer, but has been injured for a lot of his first two years.

It's games that fast track development, not your birth certificate.
They are very much at the same stage of their development.

Henry has heaps of aggression and tries really hard, but these are things that can be found in players every local competition. An AFL player needs skill, decision making ability and to be able to read the play, Henry does not have an overabundance of any of these.

The thing that really annoys me about him is that when the ball is in dispute he lloks for his apponent rather than attacking the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's now a rotation midfielder, even though tagging he still rotates in and out of the midfield. He doesn't follow his player forward, back and to the bench.

There is now an emphasis on him winning more footy, which he still needs to improve and it's why I'd send him back to Bendigo this week.

But that's a big change for him, he's now playing a Mark McVeigh role rather than the complete lock down role and he's going to play bad games because of it.
yup
Was poor, but plenty of other guys have also struggled with the different game plan & their role within it. Here's hoping he can use his time @ Bendigo to improve his skills & push for selection later on in the year, we'll probably need stronger bodies as the season progresses

Personally, I don't believe that's a drastic change.

Probably more change than I was giving credit for, but it comes down to basic versatility.

As for the Ryder, Slattery comparison in experience, Slattery went into last season having played 12 games, Ryder 9.

Not a lot of difference.

There's a lot in determining seniority than a simple games tally.

In 2006, Ryder played 9 games for development, he was a long way off our best side. Slattery may have missed many games, most due to injury, but he was in or around our best side. He's had an extra year as a first team player.

Also, Henry's age puts him older than half the list which in my opinion, puts him in the more senior area, especially as a guy who's played more games than more than half the list.

I've been pretty harsh on Henry, to be blunt I think he's absolutely crap. But credit where credit is due, he was pretty good on Friday, it was the first time I've seen him attack the ball with a little confidence. I'm still not convinced, but he has at last shown something other than being able to tackle.

Anyone who thinks he played well against Collingwood is deluded, he was a disgrace. His skill level, vision and decision making are at about D grade Amateur level. He attacked the ball better again this week, but if he can't choose a decent option the majority of the time and develop at least a reasonable level of skill there is no place for him on our list.

Anyone who thinks he played well against Collingwood is deluded, he was a disgrace. His skill level, vision and decision making are at about D grade Amateur level. He attacked the ball better again this week, but if he can't choose a decent option the majority of the time and develop at least a reasonable level of skill there is no place for him on our list.

Ok, One of the main reasons we lost on Friday was the fact that almost all of our players never do anything defensive. So we are gonna drop one of the very few players who do defensive work? Pretty bad logic IMO

As for skill level. I think everyone knows that. Sadly, Slatts was one of the few working hard to create space. It says a lot about our team right now when Slatts was one of the best options to kick too. He was working hard whilst other players just expected the ball to come to them without having to do anything...

Plenty of other people to drop before Slatts IMO.

What's dumber? A less skilled guy having a crack, or some of the other supposedly "better" (& definitely higher rated on here) half-backs not sticking to their man & not even trying to create space from half back
I think it's sad that we need Slatts. But we do. We lack cahunas and have done for many many years. IMHO he will get a game until all of Reimers, Hislop & Hocking at least are established

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #20: Henry Slattery - Leaving to "pursue other opportunities"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back