Francis Soyer

Senior List
Sep 28, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
BRAVO Company
From the advertiser yesterday:

"Heritage Round will be renamed next year with the AFL asking its clubs to wear throwback jumpers dating to the 1980s. Given Adelaide and Fremantle did not start until 1991 and 1995 respectively and Port faces protests from Collingwood if it wears its black-and-white prison-bar jumper from the 1980s. It is questionable how the Crows, Dockers and Power will fit into this round."

Thoughts ?

crackers57 said:
These three sides will be just left out of that round

Port Adelaide had a guernsey in the 1980's ..... in fact they even played at least one game against Collingwood int it.

Malibu#27 said:
Port Adelaide had a guernsey in the 1980's ..... in fact they even played at least one game against Collingwood int it.

I think the AFL are too worried about the stink Eddie would kick up if they allowed Port to wear the B&W stripes.

MaccasNeighbour said:
I think the AFL are too worried about the stink Eddie would kick up if they allowed Port to wear the B&W stripes.

The AFL shouldn't be .... they should do whats right for the game ... not whats right for Eddies ego.

Of the 13 current sides who played during the 80s how many have a significantly different jumper nowadays?

Brisbane
Melbourne (had royal blue)
Sydney
Western Bulldogs

So a Heritage Round that only affects 4 clubs? Forgive me if my excitement is somewhat subdued.

I think its a bit strange they have changed the concept of the 'Heritage Round' for next year especially after it had pretty much been embraced only this year, with the previous years more of a 'warm-up/trial run'......Ahh well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marstermind said:
Of the 13 current sides who played during the 80s how many have a significantly different jumper nowadays?

Brisbane
Sydney
Western Bulldogs

So a Heritage Round that only affects 4 clubs? Forgive me if my excitement is somewhat subdued.

Good call.
When a heritage jumper means some fake stitching printed on the front, then well maybe the concept is past its use by date...

eddiesmith said:
They are obviously just copying the Rugby leagues concept of picking an era where all clubs wear their jumper from that era instead of clubs picking and choosing their own jumpers

So will Brisbane wear the Brissie bears or Fitzroy jumper from the 80's?

Should wear the old Fitzroy jumper i think.

My ideas...

Adelaide -- Black, White and Red from original AFC, a founding club of the SA Football Association, which became the SANFL a long time later.
Brisbane -- One of their Bears jumpers with the big 'BB' symbol at front or a Fitzroy red and blue with yellow FFC symbol.
Fremantle -- red and white from the Fremantle / Unions club from first WA league, or the blue and white from the original FFC in the same era.
Geelong -- the one with five blue stripes.
Hawthorn -- always did like that predominantly brown one with the yellow 'V' and HFC symbol to the right of it.
Melbourne -- 1897 blue with red stripe through middle.
Port Adelaide -- Black and white, whether Eddie likes it or not.
Richmond -- 1908 vertical stripes, lace up version.
St. Kilda -- 1919 red with yellow shoulder to shoulder 'V'
Sydney -- red with white sash.
West Coast -- Hmmm... rather limited. Can they draw on any links to WAFL clubs? Their premiership strip from '92, perhaps?
Western Bulldogs -- the 1935 jumper could make a return, or the one from the 1980's that didn't carry the Bulldogs symbol on the front.

The other clubs not mentioned... well, not much have been done with their strips over the years.

Simple solution, we wear black and white.

MaccasNeighbour said:
There'll be something in the conditions of the licence that deals with the issue of Port and black stripes. What Eddie McGuire thinks won't worry the Commission. For all his bleating, Sydney and Brisbane continue to get extra allowances and win premierships whilst Collingwood continues to decline.

Marstermind said:
Brisbane
Sydney
Western Bulldogs
The "significant difference" between the Footscray jumper of the '80's and the current design is the silly dog's head.

If we are picking new choices for the uniforms:

Adelaide - the SANFL state uniform from the early 80's;
Brisbane - the original Bears uniform from 1987;
Carlton - return of the pre-1997 jumper;
Collingwood - there's a jumper from the 1940's that is split 50/50 white and black;
Essendon - only move now left is the red shorts :eek: ;
Fremantle - that old full green and white thing they had for their away games;
Geelong - pre-1969, the old style numbering on the back of a full jumper;
Hawthorn - pre-1975, similar to the Geelong design with the numbers;
Melbourne - the 1897 suggestion mentioned earlier;
North - the 1975 premiership jumper;
Port - that jumper they wore in 2004!
Richmond - keep as is - yellow shorts?
St. Kilda - the well known jumper and St. Kilda crest on left shoulder;
Sydney - the old South jumper;
West Coast - the 1987 strip;
Western Bulldogs - the 1975-78 strip with the red edging.

Francis Soyer said:
From the advertiser yesterday:

"Heritage Round will be renamed next year with the AFL asking its clubs to wear throwback jumpers dating to the 1980s. Given Adelaide and Fremantle did not start until 1991 and 1995 respectively and Port faces protests from Collingwood if it wears its black-and-white prison-bar jumper from the 1980s. It is questionable how the Crows, Dockers and Power will fit into this round."

Thoughts ?
If that is true then it's a shame. The heritage concept is informative. It encourages us to look at the history of our clubs. This year's winner was Hawthorn, hands down. The '80's !!

Remove this Banner Ad

2006 Heritage Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Back