2006 ring a bell?

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw us heading for a loss in the first quarter. The shitful performance we dished up to Melbourne at the MCG 06. Shocking effort only equalled by todays. Actually todays was far worse.

Can I ask? What is with everyones attraction blaming the coach for the gameplan? There are a number of factors for why we are playing the way we are ATM and I'll tell you what the main reason is:

Confidence. Absolutely shot ATM. Just as it was in 06. Nothing breaks a team like the lack of confidence. But the reasons why our confidence hurts the team so badly is because a number of other factors. And just so you know, I think anybody disputing that confidence is the number one reason for our losses ATM is an absolute tool.

The problem is that our team overall is so devoid of skill that when we start mis-kicking, handballing, creating clangers, whatever, the problem snowballs and kills the confidence of the players in question and the rest of the team. This is not something that can easily be recovered from, at least not within the time of a single game.

Another issue is that we have terrible team-work, even in games where we are up and going. This is where I think there is the largest gap between the styles of Pagan and Laidley. There is just no shepherding, calling, blocking out etc. Its just non-existant. And don't get me started on the lazy tackling. I have to say that I hate players like Rawlings and Power in the side because they just lack any semblance of awareness, but half of this problem is that teammates don't communicate with them to make them aware of when there is pressure. Its just poor form. Again this is partly to do with confidence because when the team is confident there is better communication but really its not up to the required standard. And its an area the new coach must address quickly. Its an area where a decent coach can improve the performance of the team vastly.

Yes the gameplan hasn't been ideal. We seem to go around in circles 90% of the time and there just isn't enough attacking style in the way we go about it.

Good teams can still pull wins out even when their confidence is a bit down. Especially against the easybeats of the comp. This is because they have the skills, teamwork and coach to get out of it. We have none of those.

I think we have to just scratch this year. I would be looking to get in a new coach ASAP. Get the team working on the important things like skills, teamwork, tackling, communication. Continue the recent good recruitment years (minus some of the recent trading debacles) with some good pickups in the draft, cut the deadwood, and get us back to a premiership contender. Because from the coach to the style to the players, we aren't showing we are one at the moment.

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw us heading for a loss in the first quarter. The shitful performance we dished up to Melbourne at the MCG 06. Shocking effort only equalled by todays. Actually todays was far worse.

Can I ask? What is with everyones attraction blaming the coach for the gameplan? There are a number of factors for why we are playing the way we are ATM and I'll tell you what the main reason is:

Confidence. Absolutely shot ATM. Just as it was in 06. Nothing breaks a team like the lack of confidence. But the reasons why our confidence hurts the team so badly is because a number of other factors. And just so you know, I think anybody disputing that confidence is the number one reason for our losses ATM is an absolute tool.

The problem is that our team overall is so devoid of skill that when we start mis-kicking, handballing, creating clangers, whatever, the problem snowballs and kills the confidence of the players in question and the rest of the team. This is not something that can easily be recovered from, at least not within the time of a single game.

Another issue is that we have terrible team-work, even in games where we are up and going. This is where I think there is the largest gap between the styles of Pagan and Laidley. There is just no shepherding, calling, blocking out etc. Its just non-existant. And don't get me started on the lazy tackling. I have to say that I hate players like Rawlings and Power in the side because they just lack any semblance of awareness, but half of this problem is that teammates don't communicate with them to make them aware of when there is pressure. Its just poor form. Again this is partly to do with confidence because when the team is confident there is better communication but really its not up to the required standard. And its an area the new coach must address quickly. Its an area where a decent coach can improve the performance of the team vastly.

Yes the gameplan hasn't been ideal. We seem to go around in circles 90% of the time and there just isn't enough attacking style in the way we go about it.

Good teams can still pull wins out even when their confidence is a bit down. Especially against the easybeats of the comp. This is because they have the skills, teamwork and coach to get out of it. We have none of those.

I think we have to just scratch this year. I would be looking to get in a new coach ASAP. Get the team working on the important things like skills, teamwork, tackling, communication. Continue the recent good recruitment years (minus some of the recent trading debacles) with some good pickups in the draft, cut the deadwood, and get us back to a premiership contender. Because from the coach to the style to the players, we aren't showing we are one at the moment.

Confidence number 1 factor my butt, i must be a tool as you put it. The gameplan he has in place you have to have skills to execute it, we do not. The first 10 mins we were getting the ball in quickly to our forwards and it worked you do not need to much skill or confidence to do it. It is basic football. Look at 2007, fast into the forward line = prelimanary final.

I said the same thing in a post about three weeks back.......
we don,t look like kicking more than 10 goals in a game a la 06.....:mad:

but lets be fare, hale is just very average at best hopefully effing gold coast want him...edwards needed a run, will be better for it..

WELLS sucks the big one, also can piss off to gold coast....

LT is our new Adrian McAdam.....very sad really...

Levi long way off playing at this level regularly....

I would like to see the coach come out and say ok we will play attacking football and if we get beat well so be it but at least we try to kick goals....

30,000 members blow it out your arse.........

enjoy our final years, i thank god at least i lived through the 90,s ....
enough memories to keep me going.....:rolleyes:

800+:eek: Surely Buckley aint that deluded Scotty?

800K for an untried coach is ridiculous - he shouldn't be a coach he's just put his hand up for the position of CEO of Fantasy Land.

but lets be fare, hale is just very average at best hopefully effing gold coast want him...edwards needed a run, will be better for it..

I would like to see the coach come out and say ok we will play attacking football and if we get beat well so be it but at least we try to kick goals....

You should shut up now and not post again. That is a disgraceful thing to say.

I was a fan of Laids, but after this game, it pretty much sealed his own fate. Only way I can describe it is - pathetic. No risk, down the wings footy ain't gonna cut it. He deserves credit for getting the club to finals year in and out, but can't get them to the next level.

I was a fan of Laids, but after this game, it pretty much sealed his own fate. Only way I can describe it is - pathetic. No risk, down the wings footy ain't gonna cut it. He deserves credit for getting the club to finals year in and out, but can't get them to the next level.

It's the same game plan his mentor, one Mick Malthouse, has used for nearly 20 years.
And I seriously wonder where this club would be if it weren't for Adam Simpson's influence in recent years.
I think Simpson's ability to lead the team has been grossly undersold, while outsiders have lauded Laidley for his ability to get the best out of an average list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ripping off the band-aid hurts at first, but then subsides.

If anyone thinks that up to 15 of those players are capable of propelling us to a premiership, then your ****ing joking.

We lost to the bottom placed side, but what pisses me off more, we led by 20 points after 4 minutes, and then kicked 38 points for the rest of the match.

Some supporters need some home truths about some of our players unfortunately.

Some are just not upto par.

Agreed. No point continuing to play the duds.

Yeah, he didn't play tonight champ. But yeah, can't play with an injury and all that.

Compliment to LT. LT needs a rocket of the highest order.

Disagree. Got caught sometimes but generally played well. Will learn quickly I suspect and his disposal wasn't too bad under pressure.

We honestly don't have the players to play attacking and direct footy. Spud was integral early and used the corridor, but he was one of the only players tonight that (after Boomer went down) can actually use the footy well when bringing it forward. Simmo, Rawlings and Power won't go through the middle... they'll handpass and handpass and handpass...

see above.

Does to me.

And Dean, you've been great, but thanks.

And Josh Gibson, sorry mate but Port was probably a good fit. You're just not quite good enough for AFL level.

And David Hale can go to the Gold Coast. At least Aaron Edwards presents. What's this blokes caper? Sorry, all bullshit aside, not good enough.
My signature says it all

Remove this Banner Ad

2006 ring a bell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back