Game Day 2024 Brownlow - AFL & Nmfc

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know how the Umpires determine their 3-2-1 after each game, whether they get a quick look at the stats or if it's just a "vibe", but I don't think they look past the centre square these days, and Cripps dominates in the centre square.
As a matter of protocol, they don't look at the stats. It's literally the vibe. And because they're busy making 800-1000 decisions a game, there isn't much cognitive space left for appreciating good performances. Hence why the Brownlow is a discredited popularity contest.

As a matter of protocol, they don't look at the stats. It's literally the vibe. And because they're busy making 800-1000 decisions a game, there isn't much cognitive space left for appreciating good performances. Hence why the Brownlow is a discredited popularity contest.
That's what I thought, surely have a quick 2-3 minute look at the stats can only assist them in making a better decision.

Congrat's to LDU, off a 3 win season, 1 vote behind Bont, equal with Merrett and Dawson, and >>>> Walsh, Anderson, Petracca, Rozee, H. Young, McLuggage, Holmes etc........... no doubt, the best is yet to come.
But, but, he is lazy defensively and can't kick...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't get me wrong by the way, 18 votes for LDU this season is ridiculous too. Like, they just got lazy and gave it to the flashy stoppage midfielder in most of our games, clearly. Brent Harvey got more than 18 votes in a season once in his career, in a year where he was our best player by some distance and we won 14 games. I don't want to devalue the season LDU had, it's just that the voting is completely out of step with reality, moreso than ever.

I have stopped watching this circus about 10 years ago. But it has steadily gotten worse from there going by the votes.
It's staggering that one can get votes for a 19 posession game wiht 14% kicking efficiency. It's also staggering that X could be in AA contention and widely accepted as a second best ruck in the country this season, with just 1 vote

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have stopped watching this circus about 10 years ago. But it has steadily gotten worse from there going by the votes.
It's staggering that one can get votes for a 19 posession game wiht 14% kicking efficiency. It's also staggering that X could be in AA contention and widely accepted as a second best ruck in the country this season, with just 1 vote
In fairness, how could the umpires be expected to even notice who's winning ruck contests when they're still doubled over from bouncing the ball into the ground, or busy running back to clear the area, or facing away from the play because they just threw it in over their heads?

In fairness, how could the umpires be expected to even notice who's winning ruck contests when they're still doubled over from bouncing the ball into the ground, or busy running back to clear the area, or facing away from the play because they just threw it in over their heads?

Because their supposed to watch the ruck contests to see if there are any infringements ?

Just a guess.

I like the Brownlow. Sure it’s not very reflective of the season anymore, maybe it never was since the voting has been done by the umpires for as long as I can recall. It’s just an opportunity to recap the season, debate who might win or who got stiffed. Make some jokes about it with friends. There’s other awards that are probably more accurate in highlighting the best player but I’d love to see a North player win. Still recall how flat I was when Corey missed out. Anyway, there’s my 2 cents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Brownlow - AFL & Nmfc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back