Remove this Banner Ad

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
Our season is shot lets look to 2007. What would you do if you were List Manager?
Lets make the assumption that we will finish 15th just in front of Carlton. I hope we are fantasizing about what our footy club is actually doing.
Delistings/retirements- Hird, Rioli, Solomon, Henneman, Bolton, Ramanauskas, Reynolds, Johns, Peverill.
Major trade bait: Scott Lucas.
The Lucas call is a HUGE one because he has been superb but if we can get 2 first rounders or a 1st rounder and a super kid then we would have to take it. I cant see scotty playing in another premiership side for us but he could help win one for WC, Bulldogs or Geelong. If we snared a couple extra first rounders it would give us a STRONG position in a strong draft. Possible trades would be 1st round pick + Higgins, 1st round pick + Kelly, 1st round pick + Waters. Kids we would eye off in the draft would include Gibbs, Gumbleton, Jetta, and Hansen. We would also have salary cap room for a free agent. Be creative, Be controversial and respect diversity of opinion. good luck.

I've heard Jetta has had a pretty average start to the year, be interesting to see how he goes at the carnival because he was one bloke I was looking forward to having a good look at. He might slip down the pecking order a little bit.

The other variable you might have forgotten is our rookie list. McKinnon will get another year, Jolley is giving himself every chance of earning a promotion. If a Hocking or Firman comes on in the second half of the year we may well be in a position were we could have three rookies looking for a promotion.

foj1 said:
Our season is shot lets look to 2007. What would you do if you were List Manager?
Lets make the assumption that we will finish 15th just in front of Carlton. I hope we are fantasizing about what our footy club is actually doing.
Delistings/retirements- Hird, Rioli, Solomon, Henneman, Bolton, Ramanauskas, Reynolds, Johns, Peverill.
Major trade bait: Scott Lucas.
The Lucas call is a HUGE one because he has been superb but if we can get 2 first rounders or a 1st rounder and a super kid then we would have to take it. I cant see scotty playing in another premiership side for us but he could help win one for WC, Bulldogs or Geelong. If we snared a couple extra first rounders it would give us a STRONG position in a strong draft. Possible trades would be 1st round pick + Higgins, 1st round pick + Kelly, 1st round pick + Waters. Kids we would eye off in the draft would include Gibbs, Gumbleton, Jetta, and Hansen. We would also have salary cap room for a free agent. Be creative, Be controversial and respect diversity of opinion. good luck.

I am really glad you wont ever get a chance to manage our list.

For a start delist Johns?? yes he hasnt done a lot but this is really the first time he has had a pre season and has only played 5 games. He is one player who should be retained for next year to have a decent look at him over two seasons.I know he has been around for a while but we have only really seen just under 12 months of footy from him.

Next you want to delist Solly. Now he hasnt been in great form but it is injury related as it was last year.How much of a morale killer will it be to just disgard him after he has played injured for us and even though his form isnt great still gives 100%

Trading Lucas really caught my eye. He is a very big part around the club and i dont think it would go down too well if he was traded. Along with Lloyd and Fletch i belive they have 3 to 4 years left in them. There are no guarantees and we are talking about if some players step up and if we draft well but there is no reason why we cant turn our current position around before they retire. Given the fact that clubs have been burnt by offering number one picks for Ottens and Hay i think you will find that not too many would be stepping up to the plate to offer a good kid and a first round pick.

Delisitngs or retirements for me are Hird (maybe) Ramma (maybe), both depending on how their bodies come up. Rioli will retire , his knee is simply not up to the training. Henno and Bolts for reasons mentioned so many times. Reynolds because IMO he isnt up to it. Pev because i think AFL has caught up to him now and he isnt one of our better options for the midfield. Cartledge hasnt gone on this year. Currently we have better options in Hille, Laycock, Ryder and Bradley.

So this is in my opinion what i would do.
Rama to retire , i just think it will be too much of a battle to get him up again (i really hope i am wrong)
Rioli to retire.
Henno delisted
Bolton traded or delisted.
Reynolds traded or delisted.
Pev delsited.
Cartledge traded or delisted.

That is another seven off the list with maybe Hirdy gone as well. More than enough to draft 4 or 5 kids and promote a Jolley of the rookie list.Hocking could also be in line for promotion but could also be re rookied along with our other rookies this year.

By the way i am not suggesting that we would get anything for the guys i have listed as traded or delisted they are simply the ones who someone may look at.
Once again i dont think we will be in the market for any big trade deals.

ant555 said:
Just something from left field and that is if we finish last how much would the Crows be prepared to give up for a chance to get Gibbs?

Adelaide are a fantastic side, but there isn't anyone in the age range that we would be looking at trading for, if we had the first pick in the draft.

Goodwin, McLeod, Roo, Edwards all superstars but they don't fit our mix.

Rutten and Thompson would be fantastic, 23 y/o. but both are local boys. Not likely to come to Vic.

The only one we'd really consider would be Reilly, but we'd probably be looking for a lot more than that.

Longy413 said:
Adelaide are a fantastic side, but there isn't anyone in the age range that we would be looking at trading for, if we had the first pick in the draft.

Rutten and Thompson would be fantastic, 23 y/o. but both are local boys. Not likely to come to Vic.

The only one we'd really consider would be Reilly, but we'd probably be looking for a lot more than that.

Knights is another younger player that have that looks ok, like i said very left field for two reasons. the Crows probably arnt going to give up enough and we dont trade our first picks that often if at all.

deeps said:
Mark McVeigh would be good trade bait.

yeah i agree.. sheeds is also going to trade lloyd.. and worsfold is giving judd away for free same with matthews parting with brown

ant555 said:
So this is in my opinion what i would do.
Rama to retire , i just think it will be too much of a battle to get him up again (i really hope i am wrong)
Rioli to retire.
Henno delisted
Bolton traded or delisted.
Reynolds traded or delisted.
Pev delsited.
Cartledge traded or delisted.

That is another seven off the list with maybe Hirdy gone as well. More than enough to draft 4 or 5 kids and promote a Jolley of the rookie list.Hocking could also be in line for promotion but could also be re rookied along with our other rookies this year.

By the way i am not suggesting that we would get anything for the guys i have listed as traded or delisted they are simply the ones who someone may look at.
Once again i dont think we will be in the market for any big trade deals.

Well said ant. They are the 7 in the firing line and 7 players is enough to turn over in one year. For what its worth the only one we may get something for is Bolton and it would be either a swap for a similar type player or a 3rd round draft pick (at best).

Also, you don't trade players and blokes of the calibre of Lucas. It quickly destroys the fabric of the club.

I think the main thing is to ensure that we manage the list well throughout the remaining 13 games to ensure that everyone is given a fair chance and opportunities to prove themselves over the course of the year.

My thoughts on everyone:

1. MJ . A champion but I have no idea how to get him back into form. I would probably go back to basics and play him in the backline.
2. Dyson. Give him 6 games in a row, including 2 or 3 where he plays the majority of the game.
3. Henno. definitly needs all of sheedys love at the end of the year.
4. Watson. Great year, keep him in the middle
5. Hird. Beg and plead with him to play on. Even if fit play him 2 weeks on, 1 week off.
6. Gus. Give him a couple of weeks with Bendigo in the midfield at some stage, as I think that would be beneficial to his development.
7. Solly. Get the knee right, whatever it takes. I still believe that he has a career ahead of him.
8. Winda. Do not drop him again at all this year! Unless his leg falls off this is the perfect year to see if he has what it takes.
9. Rama. I would give him special consideration and let him decide.
10. McVeigh. Keep alternating him between the midfield and backline. His position each match will depend on the opposition and the other blokes in our team.
11. Pev. I have loved the bloke but I'm afraid we have seen the best of him. I would delist him as I think Heffernan has taken his spot.
12. Welsh. Never going to be a superstar but is not a complete dud. I think he works hard enough to stay in the team. I would only trade him if someone gave us a decent offer.
13. Lovett. Happy with his progress. keep developing him.
14. JJ. He is a warrior and hopefully in 07 we will see the JJ of 00 to 15 return.
15. Dempsey. Give him only a couple of senior games. Would prefer him getting whole games at Bendigo to learn the game.
16. Keps. To be honest i'm not sure what is the best way to handle him.
17. Campo. Save him for next year.
18. Lloyd. Dont rush his recovery! He must be 110% fit when he returns, we can't afford a reaccurance!
19. Hille. Must shoulder most of the heavy ruckload while laycock and Ryder learn the craft.
20. Slatts. Give him 6 weeks weeks of consistant senior game time at some stage and the rest can be at bendigo.
21. Johns Perfect opportunity to see what he has while Lloyds out. Hopefully at one stage will show something to see it has all been worth it.
22. Carts. The coachs have shown their hands. He will be delisted or traded if anyone wants him.
23. Bolts. Spare parts man for rest of year. Does anyone want him? Freo?
24. Stants. Coming along nicely...
25. Lucas. Has struggled without Lloyd and Hird. Plays better when not the main forward. Keep him as he is still an intergral part of the spine for a few more years yet.
26. Heff. Great comeback, lets hope he can repeat next year.
27. Laycock. Play for rest of year. Must give this guy every opportunity to become an integral part of the team for the years ahead.
28. Cole. He must play a couple of good games for Bendigo once back before giving him a senior berth.
29. Reynolds. I dont see him as a backman. HF Flank or wing. Give him a good 5 or 6 weeks so that he can either prove most of us wrong or so that we can confidently delist him.
30. Ryder. Has had his taste of senior footy, and now I think he needs to play full games for Bendigo to learn his craft.
31. Fletch. Can't see why he couldn't play into his mid 30's...
32. Lee. Give him 3 or 4 senior games at some stage.
33. McPhee. Not sure if he needs a break. I like him as the coming accross the pack backman. Do whats needed to have a B&F season in 07
34. Neagle. Not ready, needs another year at least at Bendigo
35. Jolley. Deserves a couple of senior games. I am undecided whether to promote to the senior list next year, depends on how he performs for the rest of the year.
36. Lonergan. Keep devolping in the two and give him one senior game just to get a taste for it.
37. Lucy. Ditto, same as Lonergan.
38. Nash. Needs 3 or 4 senior games. Not sure if the coaches have much faith in him yet.
39. Hocking. Give him 1 senior game and retain on rookie list next year.
40. Firman. Ditto as per Hocking
41. O'Keefe. I have no idea how this guys going?
42. NatRat. Has improved, keep him in the smae position for the rest of the year.
43. Rioli. Sad, but if he is thinking about retirement he is practicly already retired.
44. McKinnon. Injured. Havn't seen anything of him so idea of whether to keep on rookie list.

As for draft day lets make sure we simply pick the best players available with our first couple of picks.

anyway enough of my two cents...

is judd out of contract, if so i hope we finish last and sceure him for a million in the pre season draft. Him lloyd if fit and fletcher would win us the premiership themselves all the rest could play as taggers in the backline.

we could also get that brce gibbs as the number one draft pick, i wouldnt care who we retained if we got gibbs and judd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Retirements: Rioli, Rama
Delistings/ or trade to some poor soul: pev, Bolts, henno, reynolds
Tradebait: mcveigh (I think he will eventually want to go back to sydney), Soloman, Welsh, Bradley - 1st round draft pick for one of these players

Gibbs No 1 draft pick and hopefully get a good pick up from the PSD. IOf Hird retires be a bit of space on the salary cap to entice a bigname player not to sign contract with their club. Judd won't come for the money however, no matter how much we offered him. Not that kind of player.

jules101 said:

Agree. Throw in Cartledge as well. Thats 7 players and thats all we need to get rid of.
jules101 said:
Tradebait: mcveigh (I think he will eventually want to go back to sydney), Soloman, Welsh, Bradley - 1st round draft pick for one of these players

We might get a late first rounder for Kepler (pick 12-16). Very slim chance though. Even if we could, why would you trade a player who we got at pick six and that we have spent 3 years developing just to watch another club reap the rewards ???

McVeigh you might get offered pick 20-30.
Welsh 25-40
Every club has small defenders. There is no need for anyone to trade for one.

Solly would be a 3rd rounder unfortunately and I for one don't want to offload a great servant of the club for pick 40 or something like that.

DaSawx said:
Pretty sure he signed till end of 2007, Crawford is out of contract i think????

He may be a tosser but add him and Gibbs to a fully fit Bombers side and we could be dangerous again next year.

I don't wish us to come last but it may happen :eek:
F.F.Sake dont say things like that:mad: :mad: :mad:

Scotty Lucas has proved to be a bit controversial. We would get two first rounders for him IMO as he would help dogs or eagles or cats bigtime. Sometimes you burn a forest to help it grow. I was a devastated kid when Hawker was traded but we got Michael Long in return. 4 Draft picks in the first round would be powerful. Suggesting Crawford is silly IMO as we have been burnt by recycles. Go for youth in a STRONG draft. I like the Adelaide suggestion for pick 1(if we get it) I would ask for Reilly and Douglas. Cant see the point of trading a 20 year old Bradley unless we are getting Judd in return.

I think the recruitment strategy will be the same as it was last year. Delist players who aren't up to it, pick up some handy midfielders in the preseason draft and trade a fringe player if they want to leave or we get a good offer on them. Lucas shouldn't and won't be traded. The rest of the year needs to be spent developing the youngsters and ensuring the middle tier get some confidence and fitness back. Players like Solomon, Welsh, McVeigh, MJ, JJ, Bradley, Lucas (the list goes on) are all capable of better and the club knows it, they're down on confidence and fitness but get them up for next year and Lloyd back and a solid preseason draft and we still have the core of a competitive side.

foj1 said:
Scotty Lucas has proved to be a bit controversial. We would get two first rounders for him IMO as he would help dogs or eagles or cats bigtime. Sometimes you burn a forest to help it grow. I was a devastated kid when Hawker was traded but we got Michael Long in return. 4 Draft picks in the first round would be powerful. Suggesting Crawford is silly IMO as we have been burnt by recycles. Go for youth in a STRONG draft. I like the Adelaide suggestion for pick 1(if we get it) I would ask for Reilly and Douglas. Cant see the point of trading a 20 year old Bradley unless we are getting Judd in return.

After the great success of Ottens and Hay do you really think clubs will be looking to give away two first round picks ? Lucas would help Geelong but they wont fall for giving away another tallented player to get the two first rounders needed again ;)

8. Winda. Do not drop him again at all this year! Unless his leg falls off this is the perfect year to see if he has what it takes.

Good to hear something else thinks a bit of the kid. I think he could be a very handy player for us. He tried his heart out on Sat night and really showed something. Gave us a bit of dash which is just what we need, obviously has a way to go yet to be a consistent AFL player, but I can see it happening.

1. MJ . Keep but Trad able
2. Dyson. Keep
3. Henno. Delisted or Trade
4. Watson. Keep
5. Hird. Keep
6. Gus. Keep
7. Solly. Keep
8. Winda. Keep
9. Rama. Unsure
10. McVeigh. Keep
11. Pev. De listed or traded
12. Welsh. Keep
13. Lovett. Keep
14. JJ. Keep but consider as Trad able
15. Dempsey. Keep
16. Keps. Keep
17. Campo. Keep but considered as Trade bait
18. Lloyd. Keep
19. Hille. Keep
20. Slatts. Keep
21. Johns. Keep I like the Kid
22. Carts. De list or Trade
23. Bolts.
24. Stants. Keep
25. Lucas. Keep
26. Heff. Keep
27. Laycock. Keep
28. Cole. De list or Trade
29. Reynolds.
30. Ryder. Keep
31. Fletch. Keep
32. Lee. Keep
33. McPhee. Keep
34. Neagle. Keep
35. Jolley. Keep
36. Lonergan. Keep
37. Lucy. Keep
38. Nash. Keep
39. Hocking. Keep
40. Firman. Keep
41. O'Keefe. Keep
42. NatRat. Keep
43. Rioli. Retire thanks for the memories
44. McKinnon. Keep

jules101 said:

I think you're dreaming. Bradley went 1st round in a fairly weak draft year. The others are aging footballers. If this year's draft is as good as has been suggested then there is probably depth down to pick 40, which would mean most clubs would consider a 2nd round at the most. I don't see any club offloading 1st round draft picks this year unless its for an established superstar!

Longy413 said:

Would you be open to this trade

Adelaide give up Reilly, 1st round pick (likely between 12-16), 3rd round pick (likely 44-48).

Essendon give up No 1 pick, 4th round pick (approx 49-51).

End Result

Essendon get Reilly, Pick 12-16, pick 17 (2nd priority pick), pick 18, 2 third round picks.

Adelaide get Gibbs

Could be benficial for both clubs.

Essendon get to reload with 3 picks in the top 20 (most judges say this draft has 15 players better than last years No 1 plus 2 third round picks. Overall 5 quality selections in the best ever draft. Plus get Reilly, has now served his apprenticeship is a quality damaging onballer with toughness, skill and 150 games in front of him.

Adelaide get Gibbs who we rate as possibly the next James Hird. I kid you not this kid is head and shoulders above anything SA has produced wince the Buckley-Roo Draft years. He has played 2 years of SANFL footy and has been getting a lot of the footy in a bad side. Adelaide Effectively trade out of rounds 2 and three of the draft.

I think the reason why this trade could actually work is that both clubs would be happy if it didnt go through i.e. Adelaide rate Reilly and would be happy to keep him, Essendon rate Gibbs and would love to have him. Neither team would lose either way

Remove this Banner Ad

2007 You are List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Back