2008 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More to the point, he's not included because he hasnt played the past 5-6 weeks due to off field issues. Was the leading kickgetter at that point and remained so until Round 21.

Back luck for Dids - would have been a certainty in the 40 - but if you miss games you cant show your wares.

Well he missed the last 4 games and missed the squad; last year Steve Johnson missed the first 6 and still made the team.

Exactly my point. He's played there for the last little part of the season. But he is primarily a midfielder, therefore if he is selected that's where he should be.

He actually played a fair few games this season up forward too.

But he's the best medium sized defender/half-back on that list, and as such he should be picked there for the actual side.

Can't be as insulting as having Ryan O'Keeffe in there, who is nominated for a forward spot after kicking a whopping 21 goals this season. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more. O'Keefe is massively overrated. Sydney don't deserve anyone in the team after getting way too many selections in the last 5 years

Are you sure that is right?? not including him because of his off field issues?

According to Gerard Healy it was a criterion:

[youtube]aUgO0BUklE4[/youtube]

I know Healy talks about consistency and being good enough, but the fact is he played 18 games in 2008 and the question should be whether he was worthy of the 40 man AA squad on the basis of those 18 games. To say he didn't play "long enough" is clearly not a real concern - as plenty of other players have played around that mark. Pavlich, Milburn, Scarlett played 19. Ablett, Mackie played 18 games. Hodge played 17. It's a mirror image of the Steve Johnson 2007 AA selection (which I think was indisputable for what it's worth) - except Didak's off field indiscretion was more a crime against his club and teammates than anything else.

Couldn't agree more. O'Keefe is massively overrated. Sydney don't deserve anyone in the team after getting way too many selections in the last 5 years

Exactly. I was stunned when I looked up his stats and saw how low his goal tally was. I don't care how much emphasis is now placed on defensive pressure, and tackling, harrassing, and yes it's all important. But if you're picking the best 6 forwards in the competition (plus 1 or 2 on the bench) then they should have some impressive goal tallies.

For instance I hate to put Motlop in, but 57 goals in a really crap side has to merit serious consideration.

FB T. Harley (C) M. Scarlett D. Morris

HB L Hodge S. Fisher C. Enright

C M Richardson J. Corey A. Cooney

HF M. Pavlich N. Riewoldt S. Johnson

F B Fevola L. Franklin B Harvey

R D. Cox G. Ablett J. Bartel

Int R. Murphy D. Petrie J. Selwood C. Judd

always gonna be a few really stiff to miss out... simon black is def the next midfielder, but just had a few shockers in the middle of the year. medhurst had a rippa year, but murph has been a bit more consistent, and stevie J gives more goals off. Nathan bock is stiff too, was him or sam fisher for CHB, but i reckon fisher gives the saints more going forward than the bock bock chicken.
BTW - where the f*** is Jarrad McVeigh and Scott Thompson in this squad. both def had better years than Hayes and Cross. get rid of sandilands too

Has Deledio been that good this year? He's had a good last month i know but not sure about the rest of the year? Havent seen alot of richmond so may be wrong?

Has Deledio been that good this year? He's had a good last month i know but not sure about the rest of the year? Havent seen alot of richmond so may be wrong?

He's been far more consistent than Richardson, averaging 25 or so possessions, and at least one goal a game.

He deserves to get in on the wing/I.C.

Exactly my point. He's played there for the last little part of the season. But he is primarily a midfielder, therefore if he is selected that's where he should be.

It's the same as Harvey up front. It isn't their real position, but they have played there a few times, so the AA selectors can get away with picking them there, freeing up 2 midfield spots for the likes of Kirk, Judd, Richo, etc.

why does matthew lloyd not even get a mention in these discussions. in a shit team where he is the sole target and is often triple teamed his stats far eclipse motlops.

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare...Add+to+Comparison&SelectedPlayers=21,414,305,

i dont think he deserves to get in but does motlop really? the only thing he beats him in is tackles. and i count lloyds hip and shoulder/headbutt on judd as 20 tackles so personally i think that he wins that anyway

oh and he gets more free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please stop putting Andrew Mackie in your teams. He's a very very average player in a great team and it's insulting to even have him int he squad. Surely Hodge and Enright are light years ahead of all the other HBFs

Whilst i don't believe Mackie should be there, to suggest he's "very average" is ludicrous.

Andrew Mackie plays the exact role that Grant Birchall does, only difference is that Mackie does it better.

Mackie wins more of the footy, a greater percentage of contested footy, lays more tackles, kicks more goals, has more inside 50's, more rebounds from 50 and more goal assists.

Given all that, how is Mackie "very average", yet Birchall is a star?

Exactly. I was stunned when I looked up his stats and saw how low his goal tally was.

I raised that issue to the plethora of O'Keefe fans (who have gone quiet in the last month) who were suggesting he get in the team before Johnson and Didak (from memory).

Their only defence of that stat was that he plays as a midfielder.

In which case he should be treated as a midfielder, and as a midfielder he wouldn't be in the best 20 in the league, let alone the best 12.

O'Keefe is a very good footballer, but he isn't All-Australian quality, or even close.

You post some weird crap in this thread, but this takes the cake.

Last 5 years:
2003 - Goodes, Williams
2004 - Hall, Kirk, Barry
2005 - Hall, Barry
2006 - Goodes, O'Keefe, Bolton
2007 - No one.

Goodes and Hall definately deserve both their AA honours and if you dispute them, you just hate Sydney. O'Keefe and Bolton in 2006 where deserved.
I have never rated Leo Barry that highly but I think his 2005 one was warranted. Kirk had a decent 2004, but I was slightly surprised when he got it. So along with Kirk, Williams in 2003 and Barry in 2004 are the only ones you could put a serious case against.
But every year there will be people who think players are undeserving.
Also Sydney have been on of the dominant teams over the last 5 years so I don't understand your views at all.

BTW - where the f*** is Jarrad McVeigh and Scott Thompson in this squad. both def had better years than Hayes and Cross. get rid of sandilands too[/quote]
jarred mcviegh wasn't much last year and they rekon you need two consistent years daniel cross there deserves his call up as his been consistent the last 3 years and is very important to the dogs midfield runs hard and tackles well

Who is putting Birchall up for All-Australian though?

A few Hawthorn fans have done.

My point wasn't about who was AA worthy (i already said that i don't believe Mackie should be in the team or squad), it was more about Mackie being called "very average" and the hypocrisy of it all.

Have no idea why so many people are putting Tom Harley in their teams... :thumbsdown:

He does not play on a man during a game. All he does is when the ball is kicked long with Scarlett wrestling with his man and Harley takes an easy mark.

No way should he in the AA Team

It's interesting to see who falls away or hits form throughout the season. My Mid season AA team:

B: Craig Bolton; Matthew Scarlett; Dale Morris
HB: Grant Birchall; Nathan Bock; Graham Johncock
C: Matthew Richardson; Brett Kirk; Chance Bateman
HF: Ryan O'Keefe; Matthew Pavlich; Scott Thompson
F: Alan Didak; Lance Franklin; Daniel Bradshaw
R: Dean Cox; Gary Ablett; Adam Cooney
INT: David Hille; Simon Black, Adam Goodes; Paul Medhurst

Riewoldt, Harvey, Enright, Hodge, Mitchell, Fevola, and Bartel had brilliant ends to their seasons.
Birchall, Bolton, Johncock, and Goodes fell away badly.
Bateman, Kirk, Thompson, and Hille will miss but have still had decent ends to their seasons.
For consistent brilliance Cox, Ablett, Franklin, Bock, Richardson, Scarlett and Morris have been the standouts. Corey, Mitchell and Kirk also deserve a mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back