Kangaroos vs. Hawthorn Telstra Dome (TEN) 2:10 pm
West Coast vs. Fremantle Subiaco (FOX) 2:10 pm
Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney Gabba (FOX) 6:10 pm
Essendon vs. Carlton MCG (TEN) 7:10 pm
Sunday, Apr 06
Geelong vs. Melbourne Skilled Stadium (FOX) 1:10 pm
Richmond vs. Collingwood MCG (SEVEN) 2:10 pm
Adelaide vs. Port Adelaide AAMI Stadium (FOX) 4:10 pm

Victorian teams play Victorian teams, the derby is on, the showdown and the Brisbane v Sydney match.

Rivalry round has got to be round 3

Friday, Apr 04
Western Bulldogs vs. St. Kilda Telstra Dome (SEVEN) 7:40 pm
Saturday, Apr 05
Sunday, Apr 06

Victorian teams play Victorian teams, the derby is on, the showdown and the Brisbane v Sydney match.

Kangaroos vs Hawthorn....the Bay 13 rivalry match :D

I just get a feeling there isn't a heritage round this year as it has not been mentioned in anything I have read.

Rd 19 is called Tom Wills round. You'd reckon that will be hertitage round this year. The Friday game is a day after the 150 anniversary so if that doesn't mean celebrating heritage of the game and clubs then nothing does.

Round 19 starts with Melbourne vs Geelong on Friday night. A day after the 150th anniversary. Has to be.

Interesting to see what Ch 7 do with that game. The AFL would want to something decent with the game to promote the 150th anniversary of the first game. However that Friday is the opening ceremony of the Olympics. If Bejing opening ceremony starts at 8pm local time that's 10pm EST. There are no scheduled times on the Bejing offical site. Ch 7 always have an hour lead up program before the offical opening ceremony. I wonder if Ch 7 would bit the bullet ask for the game to be put at 6.10pm, show it live around the country and then go to the lead up program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you wanted heritage maybe you should play them at Punt Road? :rolleyes:

Seems a bit nonsensical, the two original MCG tenants playing each other on a neutral ground in a Sunday twilight match.

And maybe your mob should move back to Corio Oval...oh sorry, you can't fit 50,000 in there either. :rolleyes:

FFS! there is no rivalry between hawthorn and the kangaroos! there was for abotu 2 yrs in the 70's, now there is none. Hawthorn vs Stk, and Bulldogs vs Kangaroos are better rivalry's.

Also, combine two themes, Heritage and Rivalry round in one. Too many themes

FFS! there is no rivalry between hawthorn and the kangaroos! there was for abotu 2 yrs in the 70's, now there is none. Hawthorn vs Stk, and Bulldogs vs Kangaroos are better rivalry's.

Whats wrong with a rivalry round, despite some of the more contrived rivalries its good to have a weekend with some feeling, then they have indigenous round which is important and the Tom Wills round to celebrate the 150th year of football, sound pretty good to me.

Whats wrong with a rivalry round, despite some of the more contrived rivalries its good to have a weekend with some feeling, then they have indigenous round which is important and the Tom Wills round to celebrate the 150th year of football, sound pretty good to me.

Indiginous round is only important to those who regard aboriginies as "other people"

They are australian, plain and simple, they did not want to be singled out, yet want a round dedicated to them.

Tom Wills Roundis a good idea for the 150th year, however, the origins of Aussie Rules are hazy, and there for a simple "Aniversary round" would be much better (a simmilar round is used in NFL each year).

As for Rivalry round, my ideal rivalries would be...

Essendon vs Richmond
Carlton vs Collingwood
Showdown
Derby
Hawks vs Melbourne - The merger still lingers in all Hawk hearts. The true fans hate Melbourne for wanting to merge with us.
Geelong vs Brisbane - Not too sure what it is, but there seems to be imense hostility between the two clubs.
Kangaroos vs Western Bulldgos - Two lowest supported clubs, two "poorest" clubs, Two clubs most likely to re-locate thats just the start.
Stk vs Syd - what better then the chippity chip stuff we all love to see? Master vs Apprentice style.

If they are going to mess around with novelty rounds and the draw, they should at least make it interesting.

E.g. 90's rivalry round, schedule Bulldogs vs Crows, Eagles vs Cats etc., clubs wear their 90's jumpers etc.

I've never said this before on Big Footy, but i really like that idea.

Probably only works for the 90s and for VFL teams before then. Having said that the interstate teams play each other anyway.

For various questions:
Round 19 is Heritage Round, but named Tom Wills round, in honour of one of the founding fathers (whatever the arguments about how big was his role) in the 150 year.
Melbourne plays Geelong on the Friday night, so that the oldest club hosts the second-oldest club, 150 years to when Melbourne Grammar first played Scotch in what is now the MCG parklands.
The match starts slightly early that night, at Seven's request to the AFL, because it directly leads into the opening ceremony at Beijing and consequently should be the biggest Friday night audience of the year, bar maybe a prelim.
The two schools will also play in a curtain-raiser at the 'G that Friday afternoon, as a 150-year re-enactment game.
Wills round aims to recognise the whole 150 years of footy to this point, rather than a particular decade like the last two years of Heritage Rounds. Various ideas have been talked about, including bringing all living VFL / AFL players etc together, but planning schedule was first mapped out in mid-August and didn't get a lot of coverage at the time.
Think that covers a fair bit of it.

There is zero rivalry between North & Footscray. If anything, the supporters of these clubs have a 'soft spot' and empathy towards each other.

Where does the Hawthorn & St Kilda rivalry stem from? Sharing a venue at Arctic Park?

While Hawthorn aren't our major rivals (Essendon & Carlton are FWIW) - we have plenty of history. 3 Grand Finals during the 70's and a couple of other finals stoushes in recent years.

Unfortunately, we don't have any big game history or rivalry with the Dogs due to their lack of success over the years.

Seems a bit nonsensical, the two original MCG tenants playing each other on a neutral ground in a Sunday twilight match.

And maybe your mob should move back to Corio Oval...oh sorry, you can't fit 50,000 in there either. :rolleyes:
I thought that Richmond didn't move to the MCG until the 50's-60's. Oh well thats what I get for being a smartarse :eek:

Rivalry round has got to be round 3

Friday, Apr 04
Western Bulldogs vs. St. Kilda Telstra Dome (SEVEN) 7:40 pm
Saturday, Apr 05
Sunday, Apr 06

Difference between heritage and rivalry rounds.

There is zero rivalry between North & Footscray. If anything, the supporters of these clubs have a 'soft spot' and empathy towards each other.

Where does the Hawthorn & St Kilda rivalry stem from? Sharing a venue at Arctic Park?

While Hawthorn aren't our major rivals (Essendon & Carlton are FWIW) - we have plenty of history. 3 Grand Finals during the 70's and a couple of other finals stoushes in recent years.

Unfortunately, we don't have any big game history or rivalry with the Dogs due to their lack of success over the years.

If you read the rest of my post, you would see explinations of the matches.

It is simply the "feel sorry" match of the AFL.

As for Hawks vs saints, since the early 90's there has been a rivalry, or was.

Hawks moved to waverly, Stk Moved to waverly. Hawks sold matches to Tassie, Stk then sold matches to tassie. And also, a lot of hawks fans i knwo blame stk for the death of waverly and selling up.

As for our "rivalry" there is none. If the Afl wanted merge heritage and rivalry round, then perhaps it would be more relevant.

Also, there is always the "one odd match" of rivalry round, and it would sort of be played down a little if Dogs and roos played.

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Heritage Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Back