NFL 2008 NFL Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Al got a thing for Carters at the moment?

It's interesting tho in that it could be taken two ways. That we're not going DE in the first. However, it could also be that we are - Gholston, starting back-up behind Carter, competition, soon will take over the position there.

Sometimes FA pick ups are purely to create competition or characters who are brought in to work alongside a rookie.

It's interesting tho in that it could be taken two ways. That we're not going DE in the first. However, it could also be that we are - Gholston, starting back-up behind Carter, competition, soon will take over the position there.

Sometimes FA pick ups are purely to create competition or characters who are brought in to work alongside a rookie.

Lets turn this into 'Raiders Discussion' time:

Do you reckon the Raiders will go Gholston over Mcfadden/Dorsey/Ellis (being that Long x 2 will likely be gone)?

Lets turn this into 'Raiders Discussion' time:

Do you reckon the Raiders will go Gholston over Mcfadden/Dorsey/Ellis (being that Long x 2 will likely be gone)?

I think I jumped the gun on Kevin Carter....he visited today. Not yet confirmed signing (i dont think). But he could still be. How long did it take to sign Drew Carter!

I think the Raiders are shoe-ins for a trade-down with Dallas. I'm telling you it will happen if McFadden is on the board at #4. Why the Raiders re-signed Rhodes JUST at the same time there were 'inside' reports of a trade deal in the works between Al and Jerry.

Giants sign QB David Carr
Former number one pick overall signs with Giants

EAST RUTHERFORD - David Carr, the first overall selection in the 2002 NFL Draft, today joined the Giants as a backup quarterback to Eli Manning.
08_0312_carr.gif

Carr joins a cast of quarterbacks that includes Manning - the first choice of the 2004 draft and the Most Valuable Player of last month’s Super Bowl – as well as Anthony Wright and Jared Lorenzen.
The 2008 season will be Carr’s seventh in the NFL. He played five years for the Houston Texans before moving to the Carolina Panthers in 2007.
Carr has played in 82 career games with 79 starts. He started all 16 games four times in his five seasons with the Texans, including the last three. Last year with the Panthers, he played in six games with four starts.

When given time, Carr has been a prolific passer. He has completed 1,316 of 2,206 passes (59.7 percent) for 14,026 yards, 62 touchdowns and 70 interceptions. His career passer rating is 74.4.
But Carr often played behind porous offensive lines in Houston. He has been sacked 262 times in his career, including a record 76 for 411 yards in losses as a rookie in '04.

“I have a lot of calluses,” Carr said. “I’m like an old carpenter – I’ve been through it. If you let that stuff affect you, you’re not going to be able to do your job. One of the reasons I’m excited about coming here is they protect the quarterback well and they have playmakers on the outside.”
Carr knows he must prove that he can produce on the field.
“I think any player coming into a situation like this has to prove something,” Carr said. “I have to work just as hard or harder than the guys there. They’ve been to the top. They won a Super Bowl. They don’t need our help.”

Carr’s offensive coordinator his first four years in Houston was Chris Palmer, who is entering his second season as the Giants’ quarterbacks coach.
“I’m excited to meet up with Chris again,” Carr said. “That’s really the main reason I came up here. He has the best feel for what I’m doing. He knows what’s best as far as what my mechanics should be when I throw the football.”

The Giants are eager to see what Carr can do and if they can further develop his skills.

“David Carr is a talented player who came out as the number one pick in the draft,” Coach Tom Coughlin said. “He is a smart and athletic player who has put up some big passing game numbers. We look forward to working with him on the fundamentals of the game. We do have some technical things to work on, but we are anxious to work with him in our program. If we can place him in a positive environment, perhaps he can reclaim some of the things that people saw to draft him in the first round.”

“He has a strong skill set for the position and he has a history with Chris Palmer,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “He is here to compete for a job, and I am looking forward to seeing him compete.”

Carr had career-high totals of 54 passes and 39 completions in Giants Stadium against the Jets on Nov. 26, 2006. He tied the NFL single-game record with 22 consecutive completions vs. Buffalo on Nov. 19. 2006. Carr has passed for more than 300 yards in a game four times, including a career-high 372 against Minnesota on Oct. 10, 2004. He has directed 11 career game-winning drives in which the decisive points were scored in the fourth quarter or overtime, including one last Oct. 7 in New Orleans. Carr led the NFL with a career-high 68.3 completion percentage (hitting 302 of 442 passes) in 2006.

Last season in Carolina, Carr completed 73 of 136 passes (53.7 percent) for 635 yards, three touchdowns and five interceptions for a passer rating of 58.3. He stepped in late in a victory at Atlanta in Week 3 after starter Jake Delhomme suffered a season-ending elbow injury. The next week, Carr started for the first time and completed 19 of 41 passes in a loss to Tampa Bay. Carr started again the following week and hit 10 of 17 passes and threw a touchdown in the victory in the Superdome. His 10-yard pass to Steve Smith on third-and-10 set up John Kasay’s 52-yard field goal as time expired. Carr later started games at Tennessee and the rematch with New Orleans. He did not play in the Panthers’ final five games.

Carr was the first-ever draft choice of the expansion Texans in 2002 after an outstanding career at Fresno State. Despite facing constant pressure as a rookie, he completed 233 of 444 passes for 2,592 yards (the second-most for a rookie quarterback on an expansion team), nine touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

The next season, Carr started the first seven games, extending his streak to 23, a record for consecutive starts by a quarterback on an expansion team. He missed four games with ankle and shoulder injuries and completed 167 of 295 passes for 2,103 yards, nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions.
Carr returned to the starting lineup against Tennessee on Dec. 21, 2003 to begin a streak of 50 consecutive regular season starts. His best season was in 2004, when he led the Texans to seven victories, a franchise-best until they were 8-8 in the recently-concluded season. Carr had career-high totals of 285 completions on 466 attempts for 3,531 yards, 16 touchdowns and 14 interceptions – despite being sacked 49 times.
At Fresno State, Carr started the last 26 games of his 37-game career and completed 587 of 934 passes for 7,849 yards, 70 touchdowns and just 23 interceptions. As a senior in 2001, he was the Western Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Year and earned the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm (top senior passer), Sammy Baugh Passer of the Year (nation’s top quarterback), Pop Warner (most outstanding player in the Western United States) and Football News Offensive Player of the Year awards.
Carr is married (Melody). They have three sons, Austin, Tyler and Cooper. Carr was born on July 21, 1979.

By Michael Eisen

Now me and TGBB have already had a bit of a convo about this... I for one don't think its too bad. He isn't going to cost much at all over time and he will still be an experienced back up, and certainly better than Wright/ I love the Hefty Lefty but I don't see the point in keeping him as backup and still being behind Wright. Sorry gg :p

Carr's not great, but he 7 years and still a bit of youth is nice is Eli gets taken out for any extended amount of time. I wouldn't be happy if it came to that, but its a little reassuring. Who knows, maybe moving may bring a bit out of him when required...

Do you really think Lorenzen or Wright are better backups gg? Wright is a joke (As proven in preseason games) and a 300 lb QB won't cut it. We badly needed a different back up

Carr isn't great as I said but better than Wright IMHO . Carr was a victim of being on an average team in his early career...

I like the cheap and short contract. A year in, if he does okay, just give him a few more short contracts, same money probably. If he does shit he can go away with ease given its a one year contract.

Do you really think Lorenzen or Wright are better backups gg? Wright is a joke (As proven in preseason games) and a 300 lb QB won't cut it. We badly needed a different back up

Carr isn't great as I said but better than Wright IMHO . Carr was a victim of being on an average team in his early career...

I like the cheap and short contract. A year in, if he does okay, just give him a few more short contracts, same money probably. If he does shit he can go away with ease given its a one year contract.

Neither really works. You need a QB similar to Manning. Starter and back-up should be similar types, similar to the system. No point having Vick and Schaub. McCown and Culpepper. Manning and Lorenzen.

Carr was chosen because he's similar. It's just Carr is no good.
But Giants should look for a late round QB to grow into the back-up role and piss Carr off in a year or two.

Team doesn't seem interested sorry... Probably still looking for the D deep into the draft... Possibly a very late WR to try and grow him up to replace Toomer (Had a fair bit of success with youth in the WR role recently so i am hoping...)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Al got a thing for Carters at the moment?

Al's been watching the movie "Get Carter" a few too many times :eek:

I think the Raiders are shoe-ins for a trade-down with Dallas. I'm telling you it will happen if McFadden is on the board at #4. Why the Raiders re-signed Rhodes JUST at the same time there were 'inside' reports of a trade deal in the works between Al and Jerry.

I actually think Dallas will trade up in the first but not with Oakland and not for D-Mac. I'm thinking maybe moving up just ahead of Philly (#19) who are after a CB and WR just like Dallas.

I actually think Dallas will trade up in the first but not with Oakland and not for D-Mac. I'm thinking maybe moving up just ahead of Philly (#19) who are after a CB and WR just like Dallas.

Could you imagine MB3 and Mcfadden (if he lives up to the rep as best player in the draft) in the backfield though. In theory (would have to see in reality) that would be BONER material for Cowboys fans I would have thought.

Could you imagine MB3 and Mcfadden (if he lives up to the rep as best player in the draft) in the backfield though. In theory (would have to see in reality) that would be BONER material for Cowboys fans I would have thought.

yeah that duo would be awesome except for the part where we have to give Oakland everything we have including the kitchen sink...I think it's better if we left that stuff for fantasy and Madden games etc. though. An analogy would be like having sex with a cheese grater (sure you're having sex but the consequences wouldn't be worth it)

yeah that duo would be awesome except for the part where we have to give Oakland everything we have including the kitchen sink...I think it's better if we left that stuff for fantasy and Madden games etc. though. An analogy would be like having sex with a cheese grater (sure you're having sex but the consequences wouldn't be worth it)

lets not forget the big money Mcfadden would command as the number 4 pick, we havent got sa shitload of cap room at the minute.

The Broncos fired their GM Ted Sundquist after 16 years with the team today.

Not really free agent news, but it doesn't deserve its own thread either.

I've just got to get something off my chest....

because its been bugging me for about a week now....

what the hell is going on with the Redskins???

Where are all the big free-agent signings that we've seen over the last few years? has Snyder given up on free-agency? WTF??

The Broncos fired their GM Ted Sundquist after 16 years with the team today.

Not really free agent news, but it doesn't deserve its own thread either.

Saw this yesterday and raised both eyebrows. I mean FFS why this close to just about the most important draft for the franchise in years? We've fa rked up so many drafts lately, another one could turn us into a basket case. If we were going to do this why not immediately after the end of last season. I don't know the full goings on, there could be more to it, but thought it was a little strange...

The Houston Texans have signed free agent running back Chris Brown.

Its about time the Texans did something about their biggest need (RB). Ahman Green, Darius Walker and Ron Dayne certainly don't out the fear of god into opposition defensive lines and I'm sure the Texans don't want to use there 1st round pick on a running back as they don't have a 2nd round pick and its a deep class for RBs this year...

I'm sort of surprised the Lions have given up on Jones. Leads me to believe the medical prognosis can't be too good. If he is healthy it's an insane move.

Ben Utecht has signed with the Bungals. He must want a criminal record.

Saints have signed Mark Brunell as a backup. F*** knows why.

Derrick Ward has signed a 1 year, $1.1m contract. A tripple Nelson?

Bryant Johnson has also signed a 1 year deal with the 49ers.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2008 NFL Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back