2008 Player Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Bird is seen by some, including me, as a future Swans captain. His work ethic and his general attitude are outstanding, and his all-round skills and decision-making will improve with game time. He has very, very good hands.

You want to see mistakes, look at tapes of Marty Mattner's disposal and general sense of confusion, particularly in our defensive 5om. I still can't believe he doesn't cop it from more people on this board.

I am one who is not completely convinced by the Mattner trade. He is not great defensively (except he CAN tackle) and his skills (and moreso decision making) leave a little to be desired at times.

I think he belongs on the wing, not the half back line.

if we had the list in the first post, we'd be way over the salary cap.

crouch is good, but he must go, too old.
leo barry hasn't done enough. too old.

jesse white - one more year.

MOL - i dont want to pre-emp, he's a champ, but we need to let him go. this year was probably his last gun year, hire him as coach.

ROK - vital he stays, maybe premanent switch with goodes as HF, and o'keefe as rover. OP is very bad and we must not waste goodes.

fosdike - gone

davis - trade or delist.

LRT - you either start playing like jude has this year, or your'e gone for all money.

hall - this guy can play for a long time - 3yrs - get the head right, he's a gun. Strength of an ox, boxing physique will help his endurance as a player.

This was the last year of the 2005 brigade. we NEED to move on, if we are to challenge in 2012 - realistically. until then we try to make finals and find some gun draft picks.

MOL will definately play next year, I have no doubt, if for no other reason than the emotional lift it'll give the players for the Sydney/South Melbourne Swans to gain its first 300-games player.

Bird is seen by some, including me, as a future Swans captain. His work ethic and his general attitude are outstanding, and his all-round skills and decision-making will improve with game time. He has very, very good hands.

You want to see mistakes, look at tapes of Marty Mattner's disposal and general sense of confusion, particularly in our defensive 5om. I still can't believe he doesn't cop it from more people on this board.

I am one who is not completely convinced by the Mattner trade. He is not great defensively (except he CAN tackle) and his skills (and moreso decision making) leave a little to be desired at times.

I'm not completely sold on him either. I'll stand by our decision to trade for him but I have to agree with TheMase in that his defensive skills are not up to scratch. As for decision making... I'm generally willing to give players that are creative and try to get the game moving a bit more leeway in this area. It's the players that don't move the ball on quickly and then turn it over that really annoy me. I can forgive being caught with the ball or the odd turn over if it's a result of trying to take the game on (probably why I never tire of defending Leo Barry).

Agreed, and I also think it's a furphy that Mattner, Kennelly and Malceski formed some amazing running halfback line. I think it actually worked against us by somehow establishing that the three did not need to be as accountable when it came to actually defending, because that's how it seemed.
Craig Bolton, Leo, LRT, Richards and Bevan all copped criticism (including from me) for defensive errors, yet the other three seem to be immune, or protected from that.
Mattner made some howlers this season, and so many of them were either inside our defensive 50m or led directly to opposition goals.
He is, indeed, a very good tackler but his general style seems to be to play without the necessary urgency in defence, but moreso, without the required composure.

if we had the list in the first post, we'd be way over the salary cap.

crouch is good, but he must go, too old.
leo barry hasn't done enough. too old.

jesse white - one more year.

MOL - i dont want to pre-emp, he's a champ, but we need to let him go. this year was probably his last gun year, hire him as coach.

ROK - vital he stays, maybe premanent switch with goodes as HF, and o'keefe as rover. OP is very bad and we must not waste goodes.

fosdike - gone

davis - trade or delist.

LRT - you either start playing like jude has this year, or your'e gone for all money.

hall - this guy can play for a long time - 3yrs - get the head right, he's a gun. Strength of an ox, boxing physique will help his endurance as a player.

This was the last year of the 2005 brigade. we NEED to move on, if we are to challenge in 2012 - realistically. until then we try to make finals and find some gun draft picks.

Not only is that a harsh call on Jesse White, I'll say it now: it's a wrong call.

Not only is that a harsh call on Jesse White, I'll say it now: it's a wrong call.
Fair call M.P.B

Didnt we only get Jesse this year...hence he's only been able to show us what hes got for less than a year??

Why not look at someone whos been with us for a bit longer, like Laidlaw for example, or Thornton, although even these 2 have just been unfortunate on the injury front but even so they would deserve more consideration of being delisted than White...

Fair call M.P.B

Didnt we only get Jesse this year...hence he's only been able to show us what hes got for less than a year??

Why not look at someone whos been with us for a bit longer, like Laidlaw for example, or Thornton, although even these 2 have just been unfortunate on the injury front but even so they would deserve more consideration of being delisted than White...

Pretty sure White was 2006 draftee. Two seasons. His contract will be up for renewal.

Pretty sure White was 2006 draftee. Two seasons. His contract will be up for renewal.
Realllyyy?? I seriously only heard of him this year haha

But your right...but even so, hes only 20 and we arent really in a positon to delist semi-newbies

He was drafted I think No 96 in 2006, a very late, project pick.
He's 196cm or so, and at about 110kg the heaviest player in the club. And yes, he's 20, I'd think ALL of that suggests he's still got growing to do.
But apart from all that, he's been a regular in the best list in seconds, kicked four goals in at least one preseason game (in 2007) and ... oh for fck's sake. He has to be given more chance than what he's had so for, a debate about Jesse White's future is pointless.
He stays.

We've spent two years or so lamenting a lack of KPPs in our younger ranks, we whinge and complain when our coach talks about drafting more mids while we all insist we have to get some big kids, and someone thinks it'd be a good idea to put Jesse White on notice that he has one season to make it work???

Brilliant.

Jesse has a few kinks to iron out in his game. Mental application was the big worry last year, seemed to zone off from time to time, thankfully he has improved this aspect of his game. Second one is he drops too many simple marks, I'm not even talking about the contested marks.

I see him as a backman, not a forward, good athletic type who could do Leo-style runs (without the indecision) from defence

Amon Buchanan had a pretty good season IMO. He is in our top 10 and is only trade bait because he some some worth on the market.

Craig Bird is the most overrated on here, sure he is only 18 but he didnt do too much to impress me. Statistically he was one of our worst to play 10+ games.

We need replacements for LRT, Playfair, Grundy and Everitt. We can only afford 1 of these in our team at any one time.

Craig Bird is the most overrated on here, sure he is only 18 but he didnt do too much to impress me. Statistically he was one of our worst to play 10+ games.

We need replacements for LRT, Playfair, Grundy and Everitt. We can only afford 1 of these in our team at any one time.

bird isn't overrated here... he's hardly ever spoken about... vesz been pumped up a little too much though

i'm not sure on the replacements for lrt and playfair.... playfair adds some structure to our forward line... lrt is not that bad.... there's no one to replace them anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amon Buchanan had a pretty good season IMO. He is in our top 10 and is only trade bait because he some some worth on the market.

yayyy someone who's got some sense

aside from Everitt, (thats a given that he needs replacing) your spot on!

But seriously LRT has been pretty shocking
Playfair...even worse omg he was getting like 6 touches a game and not doing anything WHYYYY did we pick him up??
& Grundy...sorry but he just shits me...he has to go!

& Bird...highly overrated! I definatley dont see him becoming a future captain

bird isn't overrated here... he's hardly ever spoken about... vesz been pumped up a little too much though

i'm not sure on the replacements for lrt and playfair.... playfair adds some structure to our forward line... lrt is not that bad.... there's no one to replace them anyway

A) care to read the previous 3 pages, and the OP for opinions on Bird?
B) Wasnt my point that we need to find replacements for this lot? (ie trading/drafting)

LRT is regarded as one of the worst players getting a game in any team, all he has on his side is height. Playfair averaged less than a goal a game and less than 5 marks, if by "structure" you mean a tall guy that can lead, then yeah i guess he does add structure but by that definition who cant?

And to those bagging Mattner, what team were you watching this year?Sure he made some howlers but he was easily the best attacking defender on our list this year. The only reason he made those errors was because he was under pressure because no other backmen were pulling their weight, and that includes C Bolton in the latter part of the season. I

I like Craig, and can understand why so many others rate him so highly. He can be a linebreaker as well as an in and uner player, doesn't shy away from physical contest, has good hand/foot skills and holds his own on the field.

That might be an issue. He (Schmidt) has deserved a seniors spot and didnt get to keep it. He would be a walk up starter to a number of clubs. Hes hard can kick long and accurately and beteen the sticks. I just hope they can throw enough of whatever it takes at him to stay. Give him the number 4 or number 10 Guernsey.

am i the only person that doesnt rate craig bird?

i just dont think he was able to match the intensity of the afl this year, made lots of mistakes, too many skill errors at crucial times and was just too slow

i think he needs a full year playing ressies. but if the idea was to blood him this year, give him a feel for it, then maybe he will come out better for it next year
Craig Bird in his 1st year on the list averaged 14 disposals or more 13 times in 21 games.
Tim Schmidt has achieved 14 disposals or more only twice in his 17 game career.

Bird has come in and established himself as a midfielder/clearance player in his first season. Schmidt never looked like doing so, up to the time he injured his knee.

Schmidt is a standout in the ressies, but apart from kicking a couple of goals when resting up forward, has never looked remotely like a first team regular.

Neither is quick, but Bird at least has some marginal explosiveness off the spot. Schmidt is just slow and his knee injury isn't going to make him any quicker.

Bird is 19, Schmidt 22.

I know I'm tipping the one wearing #13 for the brighter future.

He's 196cm or so, and at about 110kg the heaviest player in the club. And yes, he's 20, I'd think ALL of that suggests he's still got growing to do.

If he was, and if he did, he would not be at the club.

110kg players are of no use at his age, and if he got bigger he would be nearly bed-ridden

Check your facts before going on a rant, otherwise you just look stupid.

If he was, and if he did, he would not be at the club.

110kg players are of no use at his age, and if he got bigger he would be nearly bed-ridden

Check your facts before going on a rant, otherwise you just look stupid.

Ahh, Everyman's annoying little brother.

He IS 196cm, he certainly WAS reported at 110kg earlier this season, possibly preseason when training hadn't fully wound up, and seeing as he was listed at 101kg when he joined the club, I can't see why it's such a surprise, or why he would not be far off it now. And he IS still at the club.
What else do I need to check?
He's 20, turns 21 in January.
I'm not sure how you define a "rant", Mr Dudley, but I didn't think that's what my comments were.

My "opinion" of Jesse White is that he is a talented young big man who should be given a lot more time; just as it is my "opinion" that Leo Barry should have retired, not accepted another one-year contract.

Ahh, Everyman's annoying little brother.

He IS 196cm, he certainly WAS reported at 110kg earlier this season, possibly preseason when training hadn't fully wound up, and seeing as he was listed at 101kg when he joined the club, I can't see why it's such a surprise, or why he would not be far off it now. And he IS still at the club.
What else do I need to check?
He's 20, turns 21 in January.
I'm not sure how you define a "rant", Mr Dudley, but I didn't think that's what my comments were.

My "opinion" of Jesse White is that he is a talented young big man who should be given a lot more time; just as it is my "opinion" that Leo Barry should have retired, not accepted another one-year contract.

Here we go again;

Jesse White is NOT 110 kg if he were at 196cm he would either be overweight or so immobile that he would be useless.

He is around the 100kg mark, you were wrong, just get over it. If you make rash, unsubstantiated assertions, and get called on it, stop carrying on like a pork chop.

Here we go again;

Jesse White is NOT 110 kg if he were at 196cm he would either be overweight or so immobile that he would be useless.

He is around the 100kg mark, you were wrong, just get over it. If you make rash, unsubstantiated assertions, and get called on it, stop carrying on like a pork chop.

That's not actually proving I'm wrong. That's just YOUR unsubstantiated response. AS I said, it was early in the season but at 110kg he was reported to be the heaviest player in the club. I'm sure he lost some of that weight.
But you're saying a difference of 9-10kg would be enough to render White immobile.
What a load of utter wank, Dudley.

Dud, not trying to stor up anything but I believe the commentators at his first game (North 19 saga game) said during commentary 110kg

.... I went WTF!:eek: :eek:...at the time !!!!

(Lockett rarely ever, and at no stage at Swans, got to that weight!)

That's not actually proving I'm wrong. That's just YOUR unsubstantiated response. AS I said, it was early in the season but at 110kg he was reported to be the heaviest player in the club. I'm sure he lost some of that weight.
But you're saying a difference of 9-10kg would be enough to render White immobile.
What a load of utter wank, Dudley.

Seriously, the usual clap trap, he is and always was listed at around 100kg (101, 102kg) check any stats site you care to trust.

9 or 10 kilos on a frame that big would make him very immobile, yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Player Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back