2009-10 NHL Regular Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Stars win a tough game in Calgary, turco sublime, which he has been over the last 4 games, (building up some trade value hopefully)..

Great to have ribeiro back, he scored a creative little dazzler to get us going today..

1 pt out of a playoff spot. Get a win in Phoenix and we could go into the olympic break in an unlikley playoff spot

Go Stars!

Stars win a tough game in Calgary, turco sublime, which he has been over the last 4 games, (building up some trade value hopefully)..

Great to have ribeiro back, he scored a creative little dazzler to get us going today..

1 pt out of a playoff spot. Get a win in Phoenix and we could go into the olympic break in an unlikley playoff spot

Go Stars!

I think i undersold that, a highlight reel goal from ribs...

Couple of roster-freeze deadline deals done.

Most notably Matt Cullen to the Sens and Cam Barker to the Wild, Nick Leddy and Kim Johnsson back to the Hawks.

Two more days of NHL then bang, Olympics.

Cheechoo on waivers? suprised a trade didn't happen, not even for a late draft pick or something. I'm sure someonbdy will claim him in the playoff race..

Couple of roster-freeze deadline deals done.

Most notably Matt Cullen to the Sens and Cam Barker to the Wild, Nick Leddy and Kim Johnsson back to the Hawks.

Two more days of NHL then bang, Olympics.

Pretty good trade by the hawks, picked up johnsson who is comparable to barker, and a 2009 1st round pick in leddy..

i thought johnssons cap hit would have been bigger than barkers this year:confused:

Cheechoo on waivers? suprised a trade didn't happen, not even for a late draft pick or something. I'm sure someonbdy will claim him in the playoff race..

If he moves, it won't be until the final hours of the trade deadline when teams may get desperate to add foward depth. He is expected to provide scoring and even after moving to Ottawa, his stats have continued to drop. And he is the wrst +/- on the team.
He also has another year left on his contract, so whoever picks him up will likely need to keep him around for another year. If this was the final year in his contract, he would probably get more interest.

:( Jody Shelley, I will miss you. He was one of the best enforcers I've seen play because he rarely took a stupid penalty and was good at his job, plus his forechecking was brilliant.

We weren't going to keep him after this as we have entry level contracted guys like Staubitz and McLaren to take his place (although Staubitz takes ******ed penalties), so getting a draft pick for him now is good.

Pretty good trade by the hawks, picked up johnsson who is comparable to barker, and a 2009 1st round pick in leddy..

i thought johnssons cap hit would have been bigger than barkers this year:confused:
It is, but obviously given they only have to pay a certain % of it, it works for them.

Interesting trade, a top prospect and Johnsson for Barker? Chicago did very well.

It is, but obviously given they only have to pay a certain % of it, it works for them.

Interesting trade, a top prospect and Johnsson for Barker? Chicago did very well.

Doesn't Johnsson's contract end this season? Unless Chicago unloads some other contracts, you wouldn't expect Johnsson to be back next season. Also, the 'top' prospect, Nick Leddy, was only drafted last year, and there is speculation that the pick was more of a hometown pick and to add, the program at U. of Minn, where Leddy plays, is screwed right now.

If Johnsson isn't in Chicago after this season, then it's really Leddy for Barker. So, this trade, I think, is a wait a few years and then see how the trade really worked out.

But I do think Chicago did well to get Johnsson especially without adding to their cap.

Doesn't Johnsson's contract end this season? Unless Chicago unloads some other contracts, you wouldn't expect Johnsson to be back next season. Also, the 'top' prospect, Nick Leddy, was only drafted last year, and there is speculation that the pick was more of a hometown pick and to add, the program at U. of Minn, where Leddy plays, is screwed right now.

If Johnsson isn't in Chicago after this season, then it's really Leddy for Barker. So, this trade, I think, is a wait a few years and then see how the trade really worked out.

But I do think Chicago did well to get Johnsson especially without adding to their cap.
Yeah, Johnsson's contract does end next year, but its an already expensive contract at 5.5m, didn't think they could afford it but apparently they can. They lose Barker for next year which helps but will need to dump some more.

Leddy is still a decent prospect to give up. Barker is going to be a good player, but I dont think he is worth Leddy and Johnsson, Johnsson for Barker would have been enough imo, given that Barker is contracted for a while.

Yeah exactly, they lose Barker for the cap room, but take on Leddy, a first round pick, as compensation for losing someone of Barker's quality. Leddy and cap room for Barker's not a bad move.

Brian Campbell and his monster contract might just be what keeps the Hawks from Lord Stanley's merchandise, what they would do to have him off their books.

Yeah, Johnsson's contract does end next year, but its an already expensive contract at 5.5m, didn't think they could afford it but apparently they can. They lose Barker for next year which helps but will need to dump some more.

Leddy is still a decent prospect to give up. Barker is going to be a good player, but I dont think he is worth Leddy and Johnsson, Johnsson for Barker would have been enough imo, given that Barker is contracted for a while.

Yeh, pretty much agree.

Johnsson is earning more than Barker this season, but Johnsson's cap hit is only 1.483m according to nhlnumbers.com and Barker's cap hit is only 943k. Are the cap hits lower compared with actual salary earned because they have been traded and only the remaining salary for the rest of the season counts toward the cap and not the entire salary amount?

Given that Johnsson is in the final year of his contract and Chicago's cap situation, it's likely he will be used as a rental by Chi. Chicago probably wanted something more than just Johnsson in return. Minn probably wouldn't have re-signed Johnsson for next season either.
However, to me Barker and Leddy cancel each other out, so one would think because Johnsson was added, Minn would want something else back besides only Barker. In that regard, I agree with you that Leddy AND Johnsson for Barker seems a little to much to give up.

And the interesting part was Leddy, it just seems strange for Minnesota to trade him away when they only drafted him last year. They must of been pretty high on Barker by the sounds of it.

I think it also depends on whether Johnsson re-signs with Chi. If he does, then I think Chicago definitely did very well in the trade. But if he doesn't re-sign, then I would call it a mute trade until I know how well Leddy and Barker are going in 5+ years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnsson is earning more than Barker this season, but Johnsson's cap hit is only 1.483m according to nhlnumbers.com and Barker's cap hit is only 943k. Are the cap hits lower compared with actual salary earned because they have been traded and only the remaining salary for the rest of the season counts toward the cap and not the entire salary amount?
Yep. It's worked out by how many days each player is active on the roster for during the cap year. So players that are sent down to the minors are not counted to the cap during that time. Players that are waived or traded will have a cap hit for how ever long they were active on the roster.

So in the case of Kovi, his salary is 6.4m but he'll only be on the NJ roster for 62 days so his cap hit is 2.222m.

Yep. It's worked out by how many days each player is active on the roster for during the cap year.

Ah ok, thanks!

---

And Brades, I very much agree with you. Wild looked to have overpaid. You would think a prospect or 2nd rd pick or something else would be coming back to Minn. with Barker. :confused:

Ah ok, thanks!

---

And Brades, I very much agree with you. Wild looked to have overpaid. You would think a prospect or 2nd rd pick or something else would be coming back to Minn. with Barker. :confused:

Barker has the ability to be a stud and his game is improving more an more each year, and is signed on a reasonble deal, the only reason it hurt the hawks is becuase of their finances next year, trying to juggle the current cap situations with keith, kane and toews' increase...barker (and probably versteeg soon) had to go

Minnesota got probably the best player in the deal, seeing that johhnson is only a rental..

Anyone bold enough to predict the rest of the season heading into the last quarter??

ill have a crack

East

Washington
Pittsburgh
Ottawa
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Buffalo
boston
Tampa Bay

Leafs last

West

San Jose
Chicago
Vancouver
LA
Phoenix
Colorado
Detroit
Dallas (homer pick)

nashville, calgary and anaheim all with 2-3 pts of a playoff spot

last oilers

Hart - Ovechkin from Miller and Crsoby
rocket - Ovechkin from Crosby and Marleau
Art Ross- Ovechkin from Crosby and Thornton
Vezina - Miller from bryzgalov and anderson (thought id throw in a couple of roughies)
Norris - Keith from Green
Calder - Duchene from Myers and Howard

East finals

Washington V Pittsburgh (please)

West finals

Sharks V Hawks (obvious pick)

SCF

Penguins V Sharks (original pick from September)

Kovalchuk to sign with .....

..The islanders:p

i'll give it a crack.

East:

Washington
New Jersey
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Ottawa
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Montreal

Leafs last

West:

San Jose
Chicago
Vancouver
Los Angeles
Colorado
Phoenix
Nashville
Detroit

Edmonton last.

Hart - Ovechkin
Rocket - Ovechkin
Art Ross - Ovechkin
Vezina - Miller
Norris - Keith
Calder - Howard (for something different heh)

East Finals: Washington vs New Jersey
West Finals: Chicago vs Vancouver

Stanley Cup Finals: Washington vs Chicago - Caps 4-3.

Kovi to sign with LA Kings.

East:

Washington
New Jersey
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Ottawa
Philadelphia - Only if they get Turco
Atlanta:thumbsu:
Boston

Toronto last

West:

Chicago
San Jose
Vancouver
Phoenix
Colorado
Los Angeles
Detroit
Calgary

Edmonton last

Hart - Ovechkin
Rocket - Ovechkin
Art Ross - Ovechkin
Vezina - Miller
Norris - Keith
Calder - Duchense

East Finals: Washington vs New Jersey
West Finals: Chicago vs San Jose

Stanley Cup Finals: New Jersey vs San Jose - New Jersey 4-2

Kovalchuk to sign with Atlanta - No team is going to match that $100m offer

East:

Washington
New Jersey
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Philadelphia
NY Rangers
Tampa Bay

Toronto Last

West:

San Jose
Chicago
Vancouver
Phoenix
Colorado
LA Kings
Calgary
Nashville

Edmonton Last

Hart - Miller
Vezina - Miller
Art Ross - Ovechkin
Rocket - Ovechkin
Norris - Keith
Calder - Myers

East Finals: Washington v New Jersey
West Finals: San Jose v Chicago

SCF: Sharks v New Jersey - Sharks 4-1

Kovalchuk to go back to Atlanta

Washington
New Jersey
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Boston

West:

Chicago
San Jose
Vancouver
Phoenix
Los Angeles
Colorado
Nashville
Calgary (just)

Oilers win lottery.

Hart: Ovechkin (though Miller deserves it, look at the Caps team compared to the Sabres. Ditto Bryzgalov.)
Vezina: Miller
Art Ross: Ovechkin
Rocket: Ovechkin
Norris: Keith
Calder: Myers

West Finals: Chicago def. San Jose
East Finals: Washington def. Buffalo

Finals: Chicago def. Washington

Pete whats your view on the thrashers team post-ilya so far??

bergfors has looked good in that environment and the team has looked sharp. can they make the playoffs?

They have some games in hand and 15/23 of the remaining games are at home. However they also have a tough month of April - Washington and Pittsburgh twice and the return of Kovy to Philips Arena.

Bergfors has found chemistry straight away with Antropov and Bryan Little (whom has started scoring again).

They have heaps of cap space and Waddell has stated the team will be buyers at the trade deadline. They would probably target a top 6 forward like Ponikarovsky (Antropov's best mate). They defense is set with the recent addition of Oduya and they are content with Hedberg and Pavelec in goal (Hence Lehtonen traded).

Keeping Kubina is critical to any playoff run. Apparently Waddell is talking to his agent during the olympic break, to see if he is interested in re-signing. If not, then Kubina probably gets dealt at the deadline and the Thrashers miss the playoffs again. Apart from potentially Kubina, other trade bait would be Colby Armstrong, NJ 1st pick and Kozlov (in the doghouse with coach at the moment).

East:

Washington
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
New Jersey
Ottawa
Philadelphia
Boston
Montreal
--------
Rangers
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
Florida
Carolina
Islanders
Toronto

West:

San Jose
Chicago
Vancouver
Phoenix
LA Kings
Colorado
Calgary
Nashville
--------
Anaheim
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
St Louis
Columbus
Edmonton

Hart: Ovechkin (from Miller and H Sedin)
Vezina: Miller (from Nabokov and Vokoun)
Art Ross: Ovechkin (Crosby 2nd, Thornton 3rd)
Rocket: Ovechkin (Crosby 2nd, Marleau 3rd)
Norris: Green (from Keith and Doughty)
Calder: Duchene (from Myers and Tavares)

East Finals: Washington v Pittsburgh
West Finals: San Jose v Chicago

Stanley Cup: Sharks 3 v Washington 4

Remove this Banner Ad

2009-10 NHL Regular Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back