2009-10 NHL Regular Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we're in pure olympic talk mode but some minor NHL news today..

Turco's off the trade deadline table.

The stars waived Alex Auld today, and Niuwendyk has stated he is going with Turco/Lehtonen for the rest of the season..

My guess is he has spent the last week calling every GM potentially interested and he realises he wont be able to trade marty, so he saved some money by putting Auld through waivers by Friday which is payday.

surely a team like the rangers, sabres or devils could use a back up like Auld, he is good enough to be a solid back for 5-7 games down the stretch to rest some playoff starters. and by the time he goes through waivers he will only cost 115k for the rest of the year.

The way Turco played his last 6 games i think he is our best shot to make the playoffs and also gives Kari some time to get back into the groove of the NHL without having to immeditely shoulder the load..

Yeah I'm with you about Auld.

In other news, Andreas Lilja will be cleared to play and will be activated in time for our game at Colorado after more than a year out with concussion related symptoms following a fight with with Shea Weber. Maltby's the casualtly who's going in for season ending surgery on his shoulder (and on the LTIR) to make room in the cap for Lilja. To be honest we badly need Lilja back. Lebda and Meech in the same team, let alone the same line is not good for us.

And with Kronner and the Mule back, there's no excuses now. Except that Rafalski has wasted his patch of form on the olympics pfftt!

Bring on the shitfight for that last spot in the playoffs!:D

and now we head over to the general manager olympics..

the trade deadline is about 2 and ahalf days away..things will heat up in teh coming days..

some of the big questions..

Will the hawks or caps go after a goal tender?? vokoun and turco appear best available..

will kaberle waive his NTC and head to a contender?

Boston seem to be a big player..will they get savard a winger? will they deal one of their first round picks for a run this year??

What will teams like philly and san jose do??

will souray and his big contract head out of edmonton?

I cant wait!! love the trade deadline.

Ah, what way to get back into the swing of things with an old Avs-Wings game tomorrow afternoon.

And then a trade deadline what, 7 o'clock Thursday morning? Fantastic.

Bring it.

It's the year of the 2nd rd draft pick!

Also a few re-signings:
CGY re-sign Matt Stajan: 4 yrs, $3.5/year (4 years seems a bit long)
DAL re-sign Ott: 4 yrs, $2.95m/year

Atmosphere inside the can is fantastic. Should be a 17k+ crowd easy, edging the max of 18,007.

We shouldn't win this game, Detroit looks fantastic, on paper, on in the flesh.

I'll be happy with a point. This is the 50 win a season team basically.

Had that Outside the Lines show on ESPN on this morning while getting ready for work and the lead discussion they had was about the Ice Hockey and how hopefully the NHL don't stuff up all the good stuff the Olympics have done for the sport.
Mentioned that the Gold medal game was watched by 6 times more people than watched Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final last year.
Obviously a lot of people would have had it on because of the opposition, and because it was the Olympics
, but still, thats quite a big audience.

Anyone know when they start bidding for the next TV rights?

Atmosphere inside the can is fantastic. Should be a 17k+ crowd easy, edging the max of 18,007.

We shouldn't win this game, Detroit looks fantastic, on paper, on in the flesh.

I'll be happy with a point. This is the 50 win a season team basically.
How did I know we'd blow that 2 goal lead lol. Kudos to Colorado, really improved in that 2nd period. Very relieved to get the 2 points.

Great leg save by Anderson on The Mule in the 2nd. God we missed him this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ray Emery will need surgery to repair his right hip and will miss the rest of the season, the team announced Tuesday.
"He is suffering from avascular necrosis and will have a bone graft done to alleviate his hip issues," general manager Paul Holmgren said in a news release.
With Emery out, the Flyers may look to trade for a goalie ahead of Wednesday's 3 p.m. ET trade deadline, although Michael Leighton has played well for the team.
Emery, 27, went 16-11-1 record with a 2.64 goals-against average and .905 save percentage, including three shutouts, in 29 games this season. He is slated for unrestricted free agency July 1.

From espn.com

Leighton/boucher wont be nearly good enough if the flyers want to get past washington, pittsburgh or the devils...

perhaps philly makes a play for vokoun? might be tough for them to get a good goaly though with no 1st round pick to offer..

Philly may go after Vokoun, but thats a big contract and Philly would likely need to move some salary themselves. There are rumours of PHI/FLA trade talks, but not necessarily involving Vokoun.

Also, apparently PHI were after Hamhuis, but he wants to stay in NSH.

A few minor trades today. And hey, Chelios signed with ATL, so the old man could be back in the NHL soon!
Biggest trade so far today, Sutton to OTT for a 2nd. And I just saw now that ANA traded Boynton to CHI for the famous future considerations.

As for Wolski, he technically isn't 'on the block'. There isn't any urgency to trade him, it's very much a throw out the name, see if anyone is interested and if they can give something back that's really enticing. There were rumours that a trade between PHX and COL involving Mueller and Wolski. Mueller does nothing for me. As Boyes is on the block, something involving him would be of more interest. We do need a top 6 LW though.

Remove this Banner Ad

2009-10 NHL Regular Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back