2009 big improvers thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Jobe Watson - Hopefully in the preseason/off season can slim down to get a bit more speed in his legs and work on his footskills could really take the next step.

2. Leroy Jetta - Kid just radiates class, after nearly a full year 08 the experience will be invaluable coming into 09, with our midfield strengthening he will be getting more and more opportunities down forward hopefully can kick those 1-3 goals a game.

3. Andrew Welsh - Showed glimpse of brilliance 08 hopefully with a full season in the middle can become a premier tagger in the competition while also finding his own ball)

4. Adam Mcphee - Was brilliant 08, time after time sacrificed his own game to perform a role for the team. With forward options back in 09 hopefully can swing back into defense and his AA form comes with it.

5. David Myers - Will show why he was picked in front of Palmer, while on limited game time this year he showed class well above his years, would love to see him playing the Hodge loose in defense role.

HM: Tayte Pears, Kyle Reimers, Bachar Houli, and Sam Lonergan.

Myers Reimers Hocking are the guys I think will find another level. Reimers did it for a quarter here, a quarter there, needs to link those bursts with solid footy before he can be a superstar. Myers... reminds me of Cam Bruce a bit - in a good way. Tall, poised, has great vision and the skills to pull it off. Hocking I don't think is very far away - IMHO we need a few more nuggety accountable types and he could well fill that need. Did OK off limited preparation tagging good players, showed he has the application required.

Laycock and Hooker are the guys we most need to. I still think there's time left for Laycock and I dearly dearly hope that his issues mid-season - & getting dropped - will be the wake-up call he has needed
Hooker might be a very nice sneaky little late-draft cheapy for us, if he can do some sort of a job on a tall forward every week next year. If we're going well from the midfield, it'll make his job a lot easier, and (aside from Roughead) there aren't that many quality 2nd tall forwards around these days.

What would improve the team as a whole is Lucas, Davey, Houli & Winderlich having full seasons. Easy to underestimate how much we miss Houli, & the others are immediately obvious.

I am not overly confident in Winderlich. Now i know you should not compare mediacl operations but i have had the same operation as Winderlich twice (12 months apart), between L4-L5 and L5-S1 and after. Two years and a couple of quarterzone injections later and it is still not right and i am only working a couple of days a week on limited duties.
Dont want to put a mock on him but the operation does have a bit of a failure rate and he would want to be 200% right before playing footy again as i stuffed my L4-L5 disc up again when i backed into a door handle at work about 8 months after the operation.
The will need to take his injury very slowly.
Don't lie, you're just bludging so you can sit on the forums all day! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing Winderlich next year. I hope he can get a full season in 2009. He showed heaps in 2007 but sadly got bloody injured (like most of our bloody list) and could'nt play. It will be interesting to see who gets the places in the midfield. I'm expecting Lonergan to improve heaps and hoping that players like Hislop and Myers get some time in the middle. There is lots of competition. Not a shitload of skill like Geelong but it is good to have a competitive midfield. If players like Winderlich can stay fit, Watson and Stanton better watch out because there are players who will gladly take their spots if they aren't pulling their weight. Now I'm not saying that Watson and Stanton don't give 100%, but if they didn't they are in danger of losing a spot.

Yeah I'm also expecting steady improvement from Neagle, Jetta, Remiers etc. As they get more experienced they improve. Also need to watch out for Gumbleton in 2009. 15 games would be nice from Gumbleton.

It mostly has been already said, but i would like to see a bit more from Stanton....And i expect Ryder, Myers Houli and Reimers to all get better and better.

I know he has only been there one year...but i expect John Williams to throw his name in the mix and surprise a few in 09. I also think we will see more than a bit of Tayte Pears

I think a lot of improvement is need from Laycock. I he can stand up in 2009, try harder, he can make a massive difference to the side, as both a back up ruck, and as a forward, even as a back..

Inst another Ruckman like Laycock, he's a keeper, i mean, this is the year Hille has really broken through, give the kid time.

Improvers:

Monfries - Really matured as a player and found some consistent form. Developed into a Defensive forward.

Ruck Combo: Hille and Watson - :)

Welsh: - Played many roles, great work as a tagger as well.

Reimers - Dale Thomas potential

Im looking for Bellchambers to take over as our second ruckman next season - with Laycock being the one to be made to work for his spot. He's had enough chances and should be treated as such. We'll certainly find out how hungry he is - rather than automatically be picked as our backup ruckman.

I liked the look of this big behemoth of a lad and right away - he displayed that he can win more hitouts that Laycock has ever produced.

If clubs can allow for players like Renouf - Warnock and Kreuzer to play consecutive games of senior football extremely early to gain experience - we should adopt this same practice and have this kid play against his peers right away.

There would have to be at least 8 teams right now rebuilding their ruck division and it would be to our detriment if we don't endeavour to do the same.

Im looking for Bellchambers to take over as our second ruckman next season - with Laycock being the one to be made to work for his spot. He's had enough chances and should be treated as such. We'll certainly find out how hungry he is - rather than automatically be picked as our backup ruckman.

I liked the look of this big behemoth of a lad and right away - he displayed that he can win more hitouts that Laycock has ever produced.

If clubs can allow for players like Renouf - Warnock and Kreuzer to play consecutive games of senior football extremely early to gain experience - we should adopt this same practice and have this kid play against his peers right away.

There would have to be at least 8 teams right now rebuilding their ruck division and it would be to our detriment if we don't endeavour to do the same.

I totally agree with that.. But does anyone think that Laycock could be molded as a backmen? I know its a bit "out there" but with his size, and with a bit more agility it isn't such a bad idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree with that.. But does anyone think that Laycock could be molded as a backmen? I know its a bit "out there" but with his size, and with a bit more agility it isn't such a bad idea.

He could fill a hole down back if required - and at least get to a contest - but would prefer to stretch opponent's defences up forward - providing he adopts much more aggression than he has shown up until now.

Would love a Dean Wallis clone right about now. Have there been any reports of disgruntled KP backmen recently?

Im looking for Bellchambers to take over as our second ruckman next season - with Laycock being the one to be made to work for his spot.

I'd also like to see more pressure on Laycock for the second ruck spot, but Bellchambers isn't ready to play week in week out yet, so won't provide that pressure. I'd like to see us consider White or Griffen to pressure Chook.

Compensation is not all that great when your earnings are down about $400 a week on what you usually make :(:thumbsdown:

True, but think of all the guilt free BF.;)

mcphee= pretender

thrust is on the money

Do you want to back that up, or just continue looking like a Stanton/McPhee/Monfries basher?

Guys, your forgetting the main thing...... no michael

too keep either ryder or fletcher in that sweeping role we have had over recent years we'll need a new fullback, or we take mcPhee to defence which i don't like. Theyfore i pick one of these to have a great season.

- Pears
- Lee
- Daniher
- Hooker

Guys, your forgetting the main thing...... no michael

too keep either ryder or fletcher in that sweeping role we have had over recent years we'll need a new fullback, or we take mcPhee to defence which i don't like. Theyfore i pick one of these to have a great season.

- Pears
- Lee
- Daniher
- Hooker

Lee has been delisted.

whoa! it's here!

So who will improve majorly and who will stagnate and end up being delisted, this is the prediction thread.

Improvers:
Myers - I think the most likely to win the RS from Essendon.

Ryder - I expect his first 6 weeks to be sensational then drop off a bit but still be very good

Lonergan - Gun, Could become our second best midfielder after Mcveigh (if he has a very good year). More likely that he will just continue to improve.

Unsure:
Stants, has the potential but needs to start sheparding etc.

Gumby, 2 years on the sidelines now hopefully he can just get on the field

Dempsey, 3 years on the sidelines now hopefully he can just get on the field

Mcphee - will probably just continue to be average.

Stagnate:
Dyson - Severely limited footballer

Bump...

Myers - wrong
Ryder - 50/50
Lonergan - Very wrong
Stants - 50/50
Gumby - Jinx
Dempsey :thumbsu:
Mcphee - alright

on the whole a pretty crap effort by myself how'd everyone else go?

Here is my list of main improvers:

1. Jason Winderlich

• After a season ruined by injury, Licha will be burning to get out on the park in '09. In '07 he displayed all the qualities to become a very good player - skill, pace, endurance and work ethic. He needs to add robustness to his repertoire in 2009. If things can fall his way I'm expecting him to blow a lot of his doubters out of the water, and become the genuine classy midfielder Essendon have been crying out for.
My main improver is Winderlich, the rest of our list is very young so we can only expect the natural improvement that comes with experience in the firsts.

excellent call

Remove this Banner Ad

2009 big improvers thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back