Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser Powser

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Ok, there has been a lot of speculation on who we should take at pick 10, but we are in a great position, where all four of our picks are in the first two rounds.

So what are peoples feelings and desires regarding our needs or our likely movements with these picks? Will we draft for our needs and take a pure mid, a small back and maybe a ruckman, or will we simply go best available?

I feel we have a great opportunity to have a really good draft before the GC come in, what does everyone think?

I personally would love Cunnington or Tapscott at 10, if they are gone, then we should take best available. I think we should take best available at 24 and then draft for needs with our last two picks. I won't suggest names, as I am not a draft expert and would only be regurgitating Phantom drafts from the main board.

Re: Daft Picks 10, 24, 26 & 33

10- Stevens (assuming Tapscott is gone)

24- Christensen

26- Bastinac

33- Jesse Smith

They would probably be the ones I'd try and get. The Jesse Smith one could be used for a crumbing forward, but I am taking the punt on Smith at pick 33.

10- Stevens (assuming Tapscott is gone)

24- Christensen

26- Bastinac

33- Jesse Smith

They would probably be the ones I'd try and get. The Jesse Smith one could be used for a crumbing forward, but I am taking the punt on Smith at pick 33.

I'd probably take Ball before Smith, but would ultimately like us to use the pick. We have made pretty good use of second round picks in recent years. Pears - Zaharakis - Dempsey.

pick 10 - any of butcher, lucas, martin, rohan, melksham, talia, tapscott, cunnington given scully, trengove probably only certainties to definitely go before pick 10. i wouldn't be too fussed with selecting any one of these.

pick 24 - i can't see bastinac or christensen lasting past pick 20 so do not include them. i'd have the following as possibles - aaron black, dylan mcneil, serhat temel, roland ah chee, byron sumner, charlie mcadam, nicholas winmar, travis colyer, mitch duncan. obviously the same blokes again for picks 26 and 33 with jesse smith possibly also coming into the mix with the latter two selections.

No body seems to be looking at Lewis Jetta a good speedster to replace Lovett, i have watched him play and looks like a star, watch this interview till the end( only 1 minute 25 seconds long) which shows a couple of highlights of him, especially his run on from the backline at about 39 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWVKxTFPJk

No body seems to be looking at Lewis Jetta a good speedster to replace Lovett, i have watched him play and looks like a star, watch this interview till the end( only 1 minute 25 seconds long) which shows a couple of highlights of him, especially his run on from the backline at about 39 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWVKxTFPJk

i don't think lewis jetta is good enough to warrant being taken at pick 10 and he probably won't be available by pick 24.

pick 10 - any of butcher, lucas, martin, rohan, melksham, talia, tapscott, cunnington given scully, trengove probably only certainties to definitely go before pick 10. i wouldn't be too fussed with selecting any one of these.

pick 24 - i can't see bastinac or christensen lasting past pick 20 so do not include them. i'd have the following as possibles - aaron black, dylan mcneil, serhat temel, roland ah chee, byron sumner, charlie mcadam, nicholas winmar, travis colyer, mitch duncan. obviously the same blokes again for picks 26 and 33 with jesse smith possibly also coming into the mix with the latter two selections.
Stevens > Melksham

Where do you think Ben Griffiths will go? and Ayden Kennedy for that matter?

Christensen is probably the most interesting player of this draft, as he could go anywhere from 6 to 30. Has a lot of upside in my opinion, and he is one I would not mind us taking at pick 10. Just has that something about him that screams "star" in the making.

Pick 10 Koby Stevens
Pick 24 Ryan Harwood
Pick 26 Roland Ah Chee
Pick 33 Nicholas Winmar

IMO if we could get these player our mids would hopefully be sorted for years to come with other players coming through and then in the next couple of years look for a ruckman, small and med forward. But back to topic Stevens, Harwood and Ah Chee look like solid inside players with each being a bit different eg Ah Chee big posses winner that we have been missing, Stevens a mid with a bit of class and harwood just a pure clerance players. Then there is Winmar a player that could go either way but looks well worth the risk, a pure outside mid/wingman but looks like he could be a star, the mark in his clip speaks for its self.

Stevens > Melksham

Can not agree at all with that. I actually think Melksham is a better player than Stevens , better in close and better in the stoppage/clearance work.
Personally i would not be looking at Stevens in the top ten.
Somehow the hype on him has grown and grown.
It has grown from the fact that he is a bit of a hard nut but to be honest having seen Stevens play 15 or so games i have to be blunt and say there have been a lot of times that he has not overly impressed me at all and he spends a lot of time playing up and down a wing.

Ben Cunnington is a mcuh better option at 10 in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can not agree at all with that. I actually think Melksham is a better player than Stevens , better in close and better in the stoppage/clearance work.
Personally i would not be looking at Stevens in the top ten.
Somehow the hype on him has grown and grown.
It has grown from the fact that he is a bit of a hard nut but to be honest having seen Stevens play 15 or so games i have to be blunt and say there have been a lot of times that he has not overly impressed me at all and he spends a lot of time playing up and down a wing.

Ben Cunnington is a mcuh better option at 10 in my opinion.

So you still hold some hope of Cunnington falling to us

Can only go by the youtube footage but the only player that stands out to me as being the special player that we haven't got, and could conceivably pick up, is Jetta. Very impressive in his game against Peel.

Cant tell if he works well the other way but his evasiveness, turn of speed, quick-thinking deftness and one-touch skill suggest he could be anything.

Wasn't that impressed by what I saw of Stevens, Melksham looked better, and if the footy gods worked with us I think Cunnington would be a safe long-term mid for us.

And to be honest, Martin looks the best of the draft to me. Has poise and seems to be a midfield general. Has the ability to leave it to the last possible second drawing players to him before dispossing well to a teamate. Think Hayes, Black, and Cousins.

Daniel Rich was supposed to go top 3.

Rich did not fall to pick 10! Plus at least with Rich there was some reasoning behind the fall- i.e the number of KPP taken.

Rich did not fall to pick 10! Plus at least with Rich there was some reasoning behind the fall- i.e the number of KPP taken.
Actually Watts and NicNat were always going to be top3.

The reason Rich fell was Freo preferring Hill (mid), Port Hartlett (mid), us Hurley (KP) and Carlton... (tries not to laugh...) Yarran.

Was more clubs having different preferences, which, shock horror, could happen again this year.

Stevens > Melksham

on the basis that cunnington is gone (and, just maybe, even if he wasn't), i'm now hoping we take melksham at #10. able to play inside, and also get out and find space, his versatility stands out a bit in a midfield draft crop that is a little workman-like, rather than brilliant.

one of bastinac/crichton in the 20's would be great too.

My mum's boyfriend is good mates with his dad so I'll be happy to take him.

Well.. I am not so much her boyfriend per se.

10 - Melksham/Christensen - Would love Lucas
24 - Ah Chee/ Harwood
26 - See above
33 - A state league player - Barlow.

A good draft to stock up with midfielders.

Question for ANT555

Would you rate Barlow higher than Picken ?

Yeah so would Tom Scully or Trengove..but all 3 will go top 5 in the draft!

And WTF do those two have to do with anything ? Are you saying that Cunnington is a lock for pick 3 ?
Sure Cunnington may be gone before pick 10 but he may not either. Unlike other years there is not any clear cut order this year and you will find that players may be taken a number of spots firther along.
There is every chance that any of Butcher , Morabito , Lucas , Talia , Melksham , Martin , Rohan or Tapscott could all go before him.

Lets fact it no one thought Palmer or Rich would go outside of the top 5.

In a way i hope Cunnington does go top three as before last years draft he was the player i put down on the draft and trading board as the player to watch for this years draft.

So piss off imposter and go and watch some more you tube so you can hone your expert opinions :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back