Review 2009 Draft Revisted: Your Wish Lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Daft Picks 10, 24, 26 & 33

1) Watts will be a decent player. maybe better than Nicnat, maybe not. but it's stupid to claim they got it wrong. alos, are you trying to suggest that watts isn't a key position player?

2) the history of Essendon's drafting has been to get the best big guys. Taking Hurley last year, and Pears before that, suggests that the club are fully aware of how to build the list and plan for the future.

3) Malthouse and Clarkson don't have a "live" pick in this draft until all of the decent KP's are almost certainly gone.

4) Daniel Rich was drafted at 7, not 8

Are there any players who are late to the game, and from a basketball background in this years draft?

If so, I would hope we looked at picking at least one up.

If you look at other teams, they have been able to pick up extremley gifted footballers, with 2nd/3rd/4th round picks, who have played basketball for the majority of their life.

For example off the top of my head in the last few drafts-

Tippet. 2nd round pick. Most dominant young foward in the afl.

Jesse White. 3rd round pick. Extremley promising foward who I rate very highly.

Todd Goldstein. 3rd round pick. Talented foward/ruckman. 5 goals in a game from the ruck this year.

Then there are of course many others such as Pendlebury, Brogan etc.

It is clear that the way the game is now played, it suits ex basketballers.

So, is there any standout players who have only been playing football for a few years, and are of a basketball background in this years draft?

Are there any players who are late to the game, and from a basketball background in this years draft?

If you look at other teams, they have been able to pick up extremley gifted footballers, with 2nd/3rd/4th round picks, who have played basketball for the majority of their life.

Todd Goldstein. 3rd round pick. Talented foward/ruckman. 5 goals in a game from the ruck this year.

So, is there any standout players who have only been playing football for a few years, and are of a basketball background in this years draft?

That sort of theory already helped us get Quinn.

Hey there Ant, what do you think of Josh Donaldson?
Could he be a chance at 33 or there abouts.:footy:

The club has given every indication that they will focus on midfielder - but one never knows !

Ant - You must rate Talia highly, because i am certain that you posted in the last twelve months that Essendon has a need for elite midfielders.

The club has given every indication that they will focus on midfielder - but one never knows !

Ant - You must rate Talia highly, because i am certain that you posted in the last twelve months that Essendon has a need for elite midfielders.

We do but the two elite mids in this draft will go at pick 1 & 2.
Given a choice i would pick Trengove then Scully every time but we have pick 10 and those mids left at pick 10 will be no more elite than those that could be around at pick 24 or 26.

I think are overlooking the actualy quality of the draft. Very few of the top mids had disposal efficiencies in the 70's. A hell of a lot had a kicking eff around the 60% mark.

You can only draft elite if it is available and as far as Talia goes i like him more than Butcher becasue he can play both ends and he plays a running defensive role similar to what Wellman gave us.

We do but the two elite mids in this draft will go at pick 1 & 2.
Given a choice i would pick Trengove then Scully every time but we have pick 10 and those mids left at pick 10 will be no more elite than those that could be around at pick 24 or 26.

I think are overlooking the actualy quality of the draft. Very few of the top mids had disposal efficiencies in the 70's. A hell of a lot had a kicking eff around the 60% mark.

You can only draft elite if it is available and as far as Talia goes i like him more than Butcher becasue he can play both ends and he plays a running defensive role similar to what Wellman gave us.
Well I'm sold, Talia for pick 10 :thumbsu:

Is there much chance Duncan will be around at 24?

Could well be. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go a little earlier though.

Would be extremely happy with picking up Dunc with our second pick. :thumbsu:

i'm not sure if its totally about suiting basketballers - the agility factor definitely helps but i believe the burn-out factor also has a massive impact. kids that play footy from a young age right thru juniors cop more knocks and injuries than a kid playing basketball. long term this may make a difference.

jake carlisle is a bit of a late bloomer - his background has been cricket though. he could also be a surprise selection at pick 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm not sure if its totally about suiting basketballers - the agility factor definitely helps but i believe the burn-out factor also has a massive impact. kids that play footy from a young age right thru juniors cop more knocks and injuries than a kid playing basketball. long term this may make a difference.

jake carlisle is a bit of a late bloomer - his background has been cricket though. he could also be a surprise selection at pick 10.

I agree, but basketballers who move to football seem to have mobilty, agility and a good contested mark, I think this has something to do with winning rebounds in baskteball and having to learn to jump at the right time to get the ball at the highest point possible.

Unlike almost every team in the AFL, Essendon havent taken a punt on any local ex basketballers who move to football late. This should be a focus on late picks/and or rookie picks.

At Freo- they have picked up what looks to be a 150+ game ruckman in Zac Clake with pick 50 odd. If you have watched Collingwood VFL, they have picked up a tall ex basketballer in Keefe who is extremley promising with a late rookie pick. At Melbourne they picked up Stefan Martin with a late pick and is now one of their best talls already. Now Port have picked up a 200cm small guard who grew up in Melbourne with a footy, and is now a 100kg athlete who runs a 15.5 beep test and is every chance to make it under Brogan and Primus' guidance.

Adelaide who I believe have the most talented young list in the AFL, have currently on their list- Kurt Tippet (ex basketballer) James Sellar (ex volleyballer) Brodie Martin (ex basketballer) Will Young (Gridiron) Brad Moran etc etc.

I think Essendon has been a bit safe in their drafting recently compared to other teams, who utilise late picks and rookie picks, to take players with huge potential, and in most cases come good in an AFL environment. Essendons main picks outside the square recently are Courtney Dempsey (Rugby) Quinn from Ireland and David Hille (Volleyball). Why don't we do this more?

So, apart from Carlisle are there any late bloomers from other sports that we could look at with one of our national draft picks or rookie picks?

No body seems to be looking at Lewis Jetta a good speedster to replace Lovett, i have watched him play and looks like a star, watch this interview till the end( only 1 minute 25 seconds long) which shows a couple of highlights of him, especially his run on from the backline at about 39 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWVKxTFPJk

when he got a tag in the prelim final he went to water and had no effect on the game so he would have to learn how to deal with the taggers asap.

when he got a tag in the prelim final he went to water and had no effect on the game so he would have to learn how to deal with the taggers asap.

no black ducks player had an effect on the game. surely we would have other players being tagged before him. if we dont get him i hope he stays at swans :p

I agree, but basketballers who move to football seem to have mobilty, agility and a good contested mark, I think this has something to do with winning rebounds in baskteball and having to learn to jump at the right time to get the ball at the highest point possible.

Unlike almost every team in the AFL, Essendon havent taken a punt on any local ex basketballers who move to football late. This should be a focus on late picks/and or rookie picks.

At Freo- they have picked up what looks to be a 150+ game ruckman in Zac Clake with pick 50 odd. If you have watched Collingwood VFL, they have picked up a tall ex basketballer in Keefe who is extremley promising with a late rookie pick. At Melbourne they picked up Stefan Martin with a late pick and is now one of their best talls already. Now Port have picked up a 200cm small guard who grew up in Melbourne with a footy, and is now a 100kg athlete who runs a 15.5 beep test and is every chance to make it under Brogan and Primus' guidance.

Adelaide who I believe have the most talented young list in the AFL, have currently on their list- Kurt Tippet (ex basketballer) James Sellar (ex volleyballer) Brodie Martin (ex basketballer) Will Young (Gridiron) Brad Moran etc etc.

I think Essendon has been a bit safe in their drafting recently compared to other teams, who utilise late picks and rookie picks, to take players with huge potential, and in most cases come good in an AFL environment. Essendons main picks outside the square recently are Courtney Dempsey (Rugby) Quinn from Ireland and David Hille (Volleyball). Why don't we do this more?

So, apart from Carlisle are there any late bloomers from other sports that we could look at with one of our national draft picks or rookie picks?

Maybe Essendon are focused on finding players who can actually play the game, and not basketballers, soccer players etc

Maybe Essendon are focused on finding players who can actually play the game, and not basketballers, soccer players etc

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

Im not saying we shouldnt draft outstanding natural footballers with early picks, ie Hurley.

Im against drafting slow plodders who have little potential and get delisted within a year with later picks/rookie picks. Ie German, Kade Klemke etc, over a Keefe type rookie.

Stefan Martin, Kurt Tippet, Shaun Hampson, Jesse White, Todd Goldstein are probably 5 of the top 20 young talls in the AFL.

Funny that 1/4 of the top 20 young talls in the AFL, grew up without a footy in their hands......

AND, on average i reckon they were all pick 40+.

Stefan Martin, Kurt Tippet, Shaun Hampson, Jesse White, Todd Goldstein are probably 5 of the top 20 young talls in the AFL.

Funny that 1/4 of the top 20 young talls in the AFL, grew up without a footy in their hands......

Stefan Martin - Pick # 3, Pre-Season Draft
Kurt Tippett - Pick #32, National Draft
Shaun Hampson - PP Pick #17, National Draft
Jesse White - Pick #79, National Draft
Todd Goldstein - Pick #37, National Draft

So, no.

I would argue that only Tippett, White and maybe Martin are in the Top 20 young talls in the AFL.

Im not saying we shouldnt draft outstanding natural footballers with early picks, ie Hurley.

Im against drafting slow plodders who have little potential and get delisted within a year with later picks/rookie picks. Ie German, Kade Klemke etc, over a Keefe type rookie.

Epic lulz if you think these guys never played footy underage...although I can understand that with Hampson because he's a spud.

Gee - why don't AFL recruiters just give up and recruit from the NBL/A-League..stuff the guys who actually have good skills and an understanding for the game :rolleyes:

Stefan Martin - Pick # 3, Pre-Season Draft
Kurt Tippett - Pick #32, National Draft
Shaun Hampson - PP Pick #17, National Draft
Jesse White - Pick #79, National Draft
Todd Goldstein - Pick #37, National Draft

So, no.

I would argue that only Tippett, White and maybe Martin are in the Top 20 young talls in the AFL.

Ok. Martin is well and truly in there. He can play any position on the ground, and keeps getting better each game.

Shaun Hampson is improving and is a huge prospect. Port threw pick 8 at Carlton to try and get him. You dont throw top 10 picks unless they are great prospects.

Todd Goldstein kicked 5 goals from the ruck this year, not the fowardline. 3 brownlow votes from memory in his 5th odd game. Tell my how many RUCKMAN have kicked 5 goals in one game at 20 years old in 1 game?

I could go on and on.

Just look at the saints...

Sam Gilbert- rugby all his life, now a fantastic defender (should have been all australian this year)

Sam Fisher- golf all his life, recruited as a foward from sanfl with pick 70 odd. (all australian)

etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back