Review 2009 Draft Revisted: Your Wish Lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Daft Picks 10, 24, 26 & 33

Really hoping Jetta gets to us...

has anyone heard anything about Gilbert McAdams boy.. pretty sure his a rebounding half back flank for Queensland or the NT... any potential?

Can not agree at all with that. I actually think Melksham is a better player than Stevens , better in close and better in the stoppage/clearance work.
Personally i would not be looking at Stevens in the top ten.
Somehow the hype on him has grown and grown.
It has grown from the fact that he is a bit of a hard nut but to be honest having seen Stevens play 15 or so games i have to be blunt and say there have been a lot of times that he has not overly impressed me at all and he spends a lot of time playing up and down a wing.

Ben Cunnington is a mcuh better option at 10 in my opinion.

I agree.

I have only seen youtube footage, but nothing about him blew me away. Cunnington on the other hand looked brilliant, so quick with his dispoasal and just buzzing in and under, just what we need.

My ideal draft

Pick 10 - Tapscott
Pick 24 - Critchon
Pick 26 - Bastinac
Pick 33 - Smith

Pick 10: Allan Christenson - Ben Cunnington
Pick 24: Ryan Harwood - Ryan Bastinac
Pick 26: Roland Ah Chee - best available
Pick 33: Jesse Smith - State League Player

Would really like the look of that draft, alot of smalls, but we are good in the tall stocks, ruckmen we can look for in the rookie draft in the form of Orren Stephenson/Broc McCauley, would love that though.

I think a small crumbing forward may be on the cards, and that is what Christenson can do to get into the AFL to begin with, then he may be able to move into the midfield.

Harwood just sounds like class, along with Bastinac, so one of the two would be great.

Ah Chee is not a stereo typical aboriginal kid, he does not posses the flashy runs and beautifully weighted passes, but he does posess an uncanny ability to find the pill, and is hard enough to go and get it himself.

And Jesse Smith when fit, is too good not to have on our list.

And as mentioned would love to get a state league ruckmen in the form of Northern Bullants ruckmen Orren Stephenson, or AFLQ state ruckmen Broc McCauley, both only 22, both big bodies, so a good time to take them I would imagine.

Really think we may take our luck in the PSD also, even if it means we take a state league player here.

Pick 10: Allan Christenson - Ben Cunnington
Pick 24: Ryan Harwood - Ryan Bastinac
Pick 26: Roland Ah Chee - best available
Pick 33: Jesse Smith - State League Player

Would really like the look of that draft, alot of smalls, but we are good in the tall stocks, ruckmen we can look for in the rookie draft in the form of Orren Stephenson/Broc McCauley, would love that though.

I think a small crumbing forward may be on the cards, and that is what Christenson can do to get into the AFL to begin with, then he may be able to move into the midfield.

Harwood just sounds like class, along with Bastinac, so one of the two would be great.

Ah Chee is not a stereo typical aboriginal kid, he does not posses the flashy runs and beautifully weighted passes, but he does posess an uncanny ability to find the pill, and is hard enough to go and get it himself.

And Jesse Smith when fit, is too good not to have on our list.

And as mentioned would love to get a state league ruckmen in the form of Northern Bullants ruckmen Orren Stephenson, or AFLQ state ruckmen Broc McCauley, both only 22, both big bodies, so a good time to take them I would imagine.

Really think we may take our luck in the PSD also, even if it means we take a state league player here.

Who would we delist to do this?

The really strong buzz is Martin is a lock for Pick 3 at Richmond and Cunnington is well liked by Roos at 5. Interesting to see if they work out to be accurate. Morabito and Freo seem to be an obvious link as well.
I think we would have the chance to draft at least one of Melksham, Stevens or Tapscott with Pick 10. From there it really is in the lap of the gods.

A question for Ant555. How often did you watch Koby Stevens play last year? I thought he looked much better last year and he had his fair share of injuries this year which really affected his game. I wonder if he needs an opportunity to get his body right? I think Essendon will really look at Callum Bartlett who is returning from a knee injury.

10- Lucas/Tapscott/Stevens
24- Bastinac
26- Harwood/Ball
33- Bartlett/Ah Chee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Troy Taylor sounds exciting... could be the perfect replacement for Lovett.

Johnny Bennell is an exciting smaller forward that was delisted by the Pies... could be a good rookie option.

I hope for Lucas/Tapscott at 10. Then Taylor & Colyer at 24 & 26 (unlikely). Undecided on 33 as to go best available or to punt on someone like Smith..

Can not agree at all with that. I actually think Melksham is a better player than Stevens , better in close and better in the stoppage/clearance work.
Personally i would not be looking at Stevens in the top ten.
Somehow the hype on him has grown and grown.
It has grown from the fact that he is a bit of a hard nut but to be honest having seen Stevens play 15 or so games i have to be blunt and say there have been a lot of times that he has not overly impressed me at all and he spends a lot of time playing up and down a wing.

Ben Cunnington is a mcuh better option at 10 in my opinion.

Whilst I thought Stevens got caught ball watching at the clearances at times last season, I'd still say he's probably got Melksham covered in that area.

I'm a massive Melksham fan, but I don't think he's going to dominate in close at AFL level. I think he'll excel far more in the role of receiver than provider. In the structure of an AFL club, Koby's awareness in the middle should improve and his contested ball skills should come into play.

I'm not going to disagree that Stevens spent a fair bit of time working up and down the wing this year, I've thought the same thing myself at times, but his body has struggled with the workload this year and I think that's played a role.

I watched a tape of him play with the AIS the other day when he was fully fit and up and running at the start of the year. The roaming he was doing during the Champs and later in the year with Gippsland wasn't anywhere near as prominent, he was in every contest and won the vast majority.

I think that's the player we'd be getting at 10 - a tough, strong through the hips midfielder with a great work rate and I think he's every bit worthy of it. I'd probably take Cunnington over him as well, but the likelihood of Cunnington being there is very small.

I think we would have the chance to draft at least one of Melksham, Stevens or Tapscott with Pick 10. From there it really is in the lap of the gods.

I think ti'll be Stevens or Melksham. That's my feeling, but in saying that I'm not a massive Tapscott fan.

I lean towards Koby.

I think Essendon will really look at Callum Bartlett who is returning from a knee injury.

If we're looking at a kid at Pick 33, we could do a lot worse than Callum.

I think there are 29 quality picks in this draft, so I'm certainly not against taking a risk at pick 33.

The really strong buzz is Martin is a lock for Pick 3 at Richmond and Cunnington is well liked by Roos at 5. Interesting to see if they work out to be accurate. Morabito and Freo seem to be an obvious link as well.

A question for Ant555. How often did you watch Koby Stevens play last year? I thought he looked much better last year and he had his fair share of injuries this year which really affected his game. I wonder if he needs an opportunity to get his body right? I think Essendon will really look at Callum Bartlett who is returning from a knee injury.

Last year i think it was 5 or 6 games , not 100% sure of the top of my head. I dont know why but i have never been a big warp for him as a top 15 pick. I know he plays hard and tackles well but he is only average to just above average pace and for all the talk about him he does not make a big impact a lot of weeks.
I liked his game against SA from last years Champ series whn he played half forward and had a bit of the ball. I can remember a couple of good TAC Cup games as well where he did well at half forward.

I may be off the mark a bit but i just dont see him as a top 15 pick. I guess it stems from the fact that having seen him play a good number of games you sort of expect a bit more given the big wraps on him. There are just too many games where i thought he could be working a bit harder or more involved or making a bigger impact.

I guess we will see. I was not a big wrap for Zaharakis last year either becasue i thought his lack of skill on the left side that got him in trouble in a few under 18 games would also hinder him at AFL level and that porved not to be the case.

As far as pick 10 goes i will not be shocked if we go a bit left field. The most likely scenario when you look at it is to take a midfielder but with massive restrictions coming in after this year and lasting for a few seasons it would be no shock at all to me if they drafted someone like Talia.

Very mobile 195cm key position players who can average 18 possessions a game with a reasonably good kicking efficiency are not exactly spread through this draft in numbers. The prediction with him is he will go anywhere between pick 12 or so to pick 20. I suspect he will actually go a bit higher up.

Another KPP? Why exactly, we need some elite class in the midfield. We have enough class in KPP posts, especially if Gumbleton is up and running. Plus we drafted Still last year who is a KPP.

Another KPP? Why exactly, we need some elite class in the midfield. We have enough class in KPP posts, especially if Gumbleton is up and running. Plus we drafted Still last year who is a KPP.

Think outside the square.
How many talls will be avialable in the next 3 drafts given the GC and West Sydney ?
Secondly what elite players around at pick ten will be certain elite midfielders ? Chances are that someone we pick up at pick 24 or 26 will be just as good as who we get at pick 10 given the top 6 or 7 mids from this draft will be gone before we pick them.

The concept is simple. Draft what will be in strongest demand in the next 3 seasons before it is.
In two years from now if Gumby or Neagle have struggled to have an impact then how do we look to replace them if the best talls have already been picked off due to draft concessions ?

It comes down to picking at 10. If we where in Melbournes position i would be saying Scully and Trengove would be a no brainer. You just pick the best two players.
In our position we have a chance to pick one more tall to cover any short falls before picking talls becomes more difficult and then we can go three mids with 24,26 and 33 and probably still get very close to what we could pick at 10.

The 2 elite mids in this years draft are Scully and Trengove. Then there are a few very good types who should be good players in Cunnington , Martin , Morabito , Lucas etc.

Do not get fooled into thinking this draft is something it is not. It will produce some good players but they are an even bunch and it will be hit and miss.

How many talls will be avialable in the next 3 drafts given the GC and West Sydney ?
Secondly what elite players around at pick ten will be certain elite midfielders ? Chances are that someone we pick up at pick 24 or 26 will be just as good as who we get at pick 10 given the top 6 or 7 mids from this draft will be gone before we pick them.

The concept is simple. Draft what will be in strongest demand in the next 3 seasons before it is.
In two years from now if Gumby or Neagle have struggled to have an impact then how do we look to replace them if the best talls have already been picked off due to draft concessions ?

It comes down to picking at 10. If we where in Melbournes position i would be saying Scully and Trengove would be a no brainer. You just pick the best two players.
In our position we have a chance to pick one more tall to cover any short falls before picking talls becomes more difficult and then we can go three mids with 24,26 and 33 and probably still get very close to what we could pick at 10.

The 2 elite mids in this years draft are Scully and Trengove. Then there are a few very good types who should be good players in Cunnington , Martin , Morabito , Lucas etc.

Do not get fooled into thinking this draft is something it is not. It will produce some good players but they are an even bunch and it will be hit and miss.

I agree. With drafting, I assume the idea is not always to pick what you need now, but what you need in 2 to 3 years. Plus, as Ant said a mid we may get with 24 may be only slightly inferior to one we get at pick 10. Someone like Talia or Butcher or a ruck like Vardy could be the way to go. Vardy because Hille is getting towards the end and Bellchambers has shown very little.

I have been saying this for a while ant so good work. I just dont see how the first 6 picks can be midfielders when the bottom teams need to develop some prospects in there spine (bar maybe west coast). The next few years will be guttered for quality talls. And they take the longest to get on. I see less of a risk in a team like north picking up Best available KPP (butcher?) then taking a mid and chancing it with 2nd rounders and picks in comming seasons.

I know this may seem irrelevant, but look at what Melbourne did with Watts. Decided against the tall, athletic Naitinui and... i bet they'd love that choice again.
Daniel Rich, who was drafted at 8, was the best midfielder of the bunch, while only 2 teams (i think) chose KPPs.

I hope Knights realises we need to look for KPP's, and i desperately hope Malthouse and Clarkson dont.

I know this may seem irrelevant, but look at what Melbourne did with Watts. Decided against the tall, athletic Naitinui and... i bet they'd love that choice again.
Daniel Rich, who was drafted at 8, was the best midfielder of the bunch, while only 2 teams (i think) chose KPPs.

I hope Knights realises we need to look for KPP's, and i desperately hope Malthouse and Clarkson dont.

1) Watts will be a decent player. maybe better than Nicnat, maybe not. but it's stupid to claim they got it wrong. alos, are you trying to suggest that watts isn't a key position player?

2) the history of Essendon's drafting has been to get the best big guys. Taking Hurley last year, and Pears before that, suggests that the club are fully aware of how to build the list and plan for the future.

3) Malthouse and Clarkson don't have a "live" pick in this draft until all of the decent KP's are almost certainly gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back