Review 2009 Draft Revisted: Your Wish Lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Draft Picks 10, 24, 26 & 33

I can't remember a draft when there hasn't been a tall go well before expected.
I reckon that will be either Talia or Butcher jumping up into the top 4 or 5 this year. Every single one of the bottom clubs would be interested in a good tall.

Agreed.. Despite the consensus of top 6 as mids i would be shocked if this occurred especially with wats going to happen in the future.

Ant,

Can you give me any info on Colyer and your thoughts of his chances of getting to us?

As mentioned in my initial post on all the prospects. I think that Melksham will be there at 24/26. He had an indifferent year. Although he did play well in the grand final, he was not an out and out superstar all year. I would love to see him at the Bombers but seem to be getting the impression that he will go somewhere in between 13 and 22.

As for Gawn, I just wrote, I think he is the best pure ruckmen from this years pool. Really showed something before his injury, and although he is going to be coming off the back of a knee reconstruction, two rookies in the forms of Bock and Gawn would be a super combination to back up on.
As you have mentioned, he is a younger player, and has plenty of development left in his young frame, in terms of him growing, I dont think he will catch Sandilands height, but may get up to 210cm.

Melksham will not be available at 24/26. I just dont see it. I cant see him getting past Sydney and Port Adelaides 5 picks combined. Gawn is the best ruckman in the TAC for mine. Vardy is a solid player and Fewster is creative around the ground in the Barnes mould.

And if that mentioned BF poster is part of the recruiting team from another AFL club and has been for 3 years now albeit only as a part time lacky :)

Not that it really matter as it is all subjective until the boys have been on the lists for 2 or 3 seasons and are playing footy.
Merv Keane is a good operator so i have confidence in what he does.:thumbsu:

You dont need to justify your opinions by mentioning your work for an AFL club. It just makes you look like a braggert and low class. Your opinions are strong enough to stand on their own without justification:thumbsu:

Anton Woods sounds alright after having a look at his profile. His only problem is his height. I don't see height as a massive issue if he is an in and under type. Reminds me of Kerr.
Pick 33?
Rookie?

Height: 170cm
Weight: 71kg
DOB: 6/10/91
Recruited from: Northern Knights (VIC)
Bio: In-and-under midfielder who is extremely clean in traffic. Standout performer in 2009 TAC Cup winning the Morrish Medal and the TAC Cup Coaches Award. Lead the competition in contested possessions, clearances, hard ball gets and loose ball gets. Showcased his athletic ability at Victorian screen with a 2.96sec 20m (top 20 per cent) and level 14.8 beep test (top 11 per cent).
Matt Burgan's draft prediction: 30-50

I'd love Bartlett, but I think one of the clubs that are up the top will punt on him earlier than you think. I am starting to think he may not even be there at 24- West Coast apparently are very keen on him at 22 or 23.

hey guys, ive just put up a new phantom draft, ive done the first round, 2nd round is coming, our pick 10 will surprise you:eek:

Thought I'd give my thoughts.

10: Talia/Lucas

Talia would be an ideal first round selection. His versatility and adaptability are perhaps some of his biggest strengths. He's a KKP who I believe could even make an impact in the midfield at stages throughout a game. I rate him very highly. I feel that he'd be addressing our every need. However, I understand and respect the opinion that we should be drafting a pure midfielder, but players of this caliber are a lot harder and less frequent to come by.

24: Christensen/Bastinac

Christensen could well be selected earlier, but I'm hoping he's still available here. He'll strengthen our midfield considerably. Plays predominantly an inside role but is equally effective as an outside receiver. His disposals are at times ordinary, but he has good pace and clean hands. I'd be very happy to select him with selection twenty-four.

26: Crichton/Gysberts

Perhaps I'm slightly biased, but being Tasmanian, I've watched Crichton very closely and whilst many have labelled his year as disappointing I still see huge improvement and tremendous upside. He's quite skinny and gets pushed off the ball in a lot of midfield encounters, but what I love most about him is his willingness, hardness at the contest and the ability to find the ball. Wherever the ball is, Crichton is usually there. He has good endurance, a lovely left foot kick and is very quick across the ground. He's not the most talented, but he's ferocious, he's a playmaker and is extremely damaging with the football.

33: Roland Ah Chee/ Bartlett

I'll be honest, unlike the previous three selections I'm quite clueless as to how Roland plays. My very basic knowledge is that he's able to play both inside and outside roles in the midfield and once again adds more pace across the ground. My apologies for my luckluster explanation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey guys, ive just put up a new phantom draft, ive done the first round, 2nd round is coming, our pick 10 will surprise you:eek:
no offence, but not that early. 24 please

Has seen a few people mention depth in regard to drafting ball but be surprised at what happens in the rookie draft.
With the new rules clubs are lining up to draft whatever mature age players they can find with AFL experience. The way it is looking anyone who does not go in the PSD is a real chance to go in the rookie draft as the first $49,500 does not count on the salary cap.

To give an example Essednon could draft someone like Luke Ablett in the rookie draft if no one picks him in the PSD.
Gives you depth, gives you a good VFL player that makes Bendigo stronger which in turn helps development.

I had wondered why we cleared the decks so quickly in regards to the rookies but the more i read about the mature age rookie rules the more i can understand why.

As long as we don't go OTT, I guess drafting some mature aged delistees wouldn't be a bad option.

What's your view on Ball, Ant? Do you think Ball is better than any draftee we could pick up, or does the depth of the draft mean that we can still pick up someone decent at 24/26?

10- Talia
Best defender in the draft, and plays in a similar vein to Andrew Mackie. Can also play in the midfield and go forward.
24-Nat Fyfe
Versatile and could become anything. Robert Murphy type.
26- Luke Ball
Essendon finally grab a big fish from another club. Will aid Watson immeasurably.
33- Max Gawn
Big ruck who helps Essendon's ruck stocks, which will look thin once Hille hangs up the boots.

Way too early for Fyfe, there are better options. Geniune midfielder like Batsinac or Christensen at 24, espeicailly if we are going to take Ball. 2 KPP's in 4 picks is one too many for my liking!

Christensen a genuine midfielder? Now I've heard it all...

I'd rather Batsinac actually. Christensen has played through the middle. He really could end up being the top midfielder as some of his qualities are elite qualities though. We don't need any more 3rd talls and that is what Fyfe is!

Christensen has played through the middle.

He has, but not enough/impressed enough (IMO) to be considered a genuine midfielder in the making. I understand others may have different views...

Has seen a few people mention depth in regard to drafting ball but be surprised at what happens in the rookie draft.
With the new rules clubs are lining up to draft whatever mature age players they can find with AFL experience. The way it is looking anyone who does not go in the PSD is a real chance to go in the rookie draft as the first $49,500 does not count on the salary cap.

To give an example Essednon could draft someone like Luke Ablett in the rookie draft if no one picks him in the PSD.
Gives you depth, gives you a good VFL player that makes Bendigo stronger which in turn helps development.

I had wondered why we cleared the decks so quickly in regards to the rookies but the more i read about the mature age rookie rules the more i can understand why.

I can understand using the Matura Age Rookie positions for players who have had injury interrupted seasons but to use it on a Ablett type = Who you think won't play AFL worries me.

Way too early for Fyfe, there are better options. Geniune midfielder like Batsinac or Christensen at 24, espeicailly if we are going to take Ball. 2 KPP's in 4 picks is one too many for my liking!

Fyfe is not really a KPP, I'm not the greatest expert on the draft, but he's more like I descibed- a Robert Murphy type player. Perhaps could end up a Ben McKinley type forward. I think he and Talia can become guns, and can become good value picks. I would like Troy Taylor but I think he might be gone by our second pick.

He has, but not enough/impressed enough (IMO) to be considered a genuine midfielder in the making. I understand others may have different views...

So the fact that he lead the TAC Cup in contested possessions and was in the top 10 for clearances indicates he is not a genuine midfielder ?

I suggest you take a look at the Vic Metro v Vic Country game if you can.
He averaged 3.8 clearances a game over the champ series despite spending 50% of his time in the forward line.

Everyone has an opinion but i think you are selling him short. His numbers back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back