Review 2009 Draft Revisted: Your Wish Lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Draft Picks 10, 24, 26 & 33

You don't get dropped from the Kangas for nothing.
You don't play 22 games in the 2s if you can still play.

Ah yes, but when the coach does not like you for some reason, what are you to do?

Who would you pick up the PSD then, or at pick 70 odd in the ND?

Ah yes, but when the coach does not like you for some reason, what are you to do?

Who would you pick up the PSD then, or at pick 70 odd in the ND?
FFS he can't run or kick. He shouldn't be liked!
We'd be better off giving JJ another run, he's slightly less ugly but basically the same player.

Ball in the PSD for mine. Makes more sense with McPhee gone. Either him or a kid. He's the only de-listed player I'd even think about, since it looks likely Thorp is gone.

FFS he can't run or kick. He shouldn't be liked!
We'd be better off giving JJ another run, he's slightly less ugly but basically the same player.

Ball in the PSD for mine. Makes more sense with McPhee gone. Either him or a kid. He's the only de-listed player I'd even think about, since it looks likely Thorp is gone.

Ball wont even be available in the PSD. and he as you said about maguire or harris :confused: "FFS he can't run or kick. He shouldn't be liked!".

Dont rate Jesse Smith? Joel McDonald?

their are still some quality players that have been delisted, they may not become world beaters, but they may become handy acquisitons for a team, much like Skipworth was this year.

Ball can still play. I just wouldn't be happy getting him in the top 35, I think that's over the odds. Harris is a very, very, very poor man's Luke Ball. Harris' best would be as good as Ball's worst.

We're going to get sweet fannie adams in terms of draft picks over the next 2-3 years. IMHO we need to make every one stick this year. If it's a mature bloke, we need to be pretty sure he's going to give us 80 or 100 good games.
I don't know if Smith's body is going to hold together. McDonald wouldn't really add much to our list.

Ball can still play. I just wouldn't be happy getting him in the top 35, I think that's over the odds. Harris is a very, very, very poor man's Luke Ball. Harris' best would be as good as Ball's worst.

We're going to get sweet fannie adams in terms of draft picks over the next 2-3 years. IMHO we need to make every one stick this year. If it's a mature bloke, we need to be pretty sure he's going to give us 80 or 100 good games.
I don't know if Smith's body is going to hold together. McDonald wouldn't really add much to our list.

I agree that we should not take him (Ball with picks 24 or 26, but if the club is that keen on him, then I think they will take him with on of these picks. Collingwood are stupid enough to waste their first pick (#30) on him. Even the lions are keen on him at 27 apparently too.

Who would you take in the PSD then Slattery_20?? just would like to know your opinion on this topic, nothing more, nothing less, just a bit of banter :thumbsu:

2009 National, Rookie, PS Draft Previews - Who I Think We Should Take

Just going over all the pages that people have been writing and I thought I would bring this to the front so people can have a look at see what they think, here is who I think Essendon F.C should take with each pick, in no particular order they are re ordered in preference and hopefully, come draft day, we just come out of the draft day with a good bunch.

Enjoy

PICK 10:

Ben Cunnginton, 186cm, 84kg, MID, Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

Tough, Hard, power athlete, sums him up. Runs all day and will not shirk a contest. Is able to go forward and play as a taller option. Would love to see him at Essendon, but doubt he will slip to # 10.

Kane Lucas, 188cm, 79kg, MID, East Fremantle/Western Australia

WA representative after another superb year with Easts. Was dropped midway through the year to work on some things, mainly deffensive pressure but managed to work his way back into the senior line up late in the year. Has excellent ball use and breaks the lines as a goal kicking option where he was named All Australian. If he drops to us, we nab him.

Koby Stevens, 187cm, 83kg, MID, Gippsland Power/ Vic Country

Tough hard at it inside midfielder, super overhead who would be able to play as a resting forward when not playing on the ball.

Luke Tapscott, 180cm, 86kg, MID, North Adelaide/ South Australia

Going back a fair while here, but the kid can play, we all need to remember this. Best kick in the draft who is more than comfortable playing deep forward as a crumber before moving into the midfield.

PICK 24/26:

Callum Bartlett, 184cm, 75kg, MID, Geelong Falcons

Very quick and very agile goal kicking midfielder. Has an awesome side step who reminds me a little bit of Shaun Burgoyne in the way he is willing to take the game on. Coming off a knee injury though may be a turn, i'm not.

Mitch Duncan, 188cm, 81kg, FOR, East Perth/Western Australia

Another WA product. Duncan was probably the best third tall in the U18s this year where he was duly rewarded with AA honours. He is strong overhead and is a good decision maker.

Jordan Gysberts, 188cm, 83kg, MID, Eastern Rangers/ Vic Metro

Smart player who knows where to run, when to run. Has clean hands and uses the ball really well. Is more than handy going forward, being able to take a strong grab overhead and kick the goal.

Ryan Bastinac, 183cm, 74kg, MID, Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Stingrays co-captain and one of the real bolters this late in draft talks. Underlined his potential with a near best on ground performance in the TAC cup grand final. Contested ball winner with clean hands in traffic and good awareness to bring others into the game also a feature. I would not be surprised to see him nabbed late in the first round. If he is still here at pick 24, pick him.

Andrew Moore, 188cm, 81kg, FOR/MID, Eastern Rangers/ Vic Metro

Tall or small, on ball or forward. Moore is able to do it all, a really well rounded game. Good decision maker who uses the ball well and has a nice set shot routine that will hold him in good stead at AFL level.

Allen Christenson, 176cm, 75kg, MID, Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

A player who makes things happen. Breaks the lines at Falcons, whilst showing his wares as a small forward for Vic Country. Finshed second in the Morrish Medal for best player in the TAC cup.

Bradley Sheppard, 186cm, 78kg, DEF, East Fremantle/Western Australia

Has really shot up the rankings since the championships. Came away without the title of being just a tagger. A really good running half back/wingman type who uses the ball really well of both feet. A player I can see becoming a 100+ games player.

PICK 33:

Max Gawn, 206cm, 97kg, RUCK, Sandringham Dragons

Terrific contested marker who has good skills that should enable him to play forward as well as ruck. Is recovering from a knee recontruction however that may put him back in the draft orser, Highly doubt it though, so grab another developing tall.

Mark Hutchings, 180cm, 82kg, MID, East Perth/Western Australia

WA captain who had another super season with Easts. A tough hard uncompromising inside midfielder, good awareness and evassiveness are features of his game.

PRE SEASON PICK:

Daniel Harris

Hard at it inside midfielder who could be able to help out Watson at the clearances without having to pay over the odds.

Daniel O'Keefe

Ex Swan and firsr round draft pick. O'Keefe is an excellent ball user who has a good engine and is able to consitently find space. He would be a worthwhile accquistion to our squad IMO.

Stuart Crameri

I may be completely off the money here, after a couple of very impressive years with Essendon's affiliate Bendigo, the bombers may offer him a place on the senior list after withdrawing the offer in favor of Hayden Skipworth last year. I would not be at all against this, a hard running half back, defender. Crameri has all the attributes to make it as a solid AFL player, he just needs to be given a go now.

Matt McGuire

May be premature, but after another set back to Neagle, who is yet to complete a full pre season in 4 seasons at the club, they may need another tall to be able to play at either end of the ground. Still only 25, McGuire still has at least another 5 years left in him if his body holds up.

ROOKIES: No particular order

Broc McCauley, 200cm, 96kg, RUCK, Southport Sharks/Queensland State Team

Super impressive ruckmen who hails from a soccer background. Shows with his nimble footwork across the **** and his good athletic jump that he uses to jump over his opponenets. Is able to play forward and kick a goal with a couple of bags of 4 this season. Finished top 5 for League B&F.

Levi Casboult, 197cm, 102kg, FOR/RUCK, Dandenong Stingrays

Overage player who dominated for the stingrays this year edging out more highly fancied players such as Tom Scully and Ryan Bastinac. Levi comes from a soccer background that shows his nimble feet. Took the most contested marks and is a very good shot for goal. I would think he may not be available come rookie draft however.

Mitch Fisher, 181cm, 78kg, DEF, Geelong Falcons

Strong, big bodied defender who uses the ball really well. Has good speed and is ultra competitive.

Anton Woods, 170cm, 70kg, MID, Northern Knigths/Vic Metro

A tough hard at inside midfielder who won the TAC cup Morrish medal for best player in the league. Clean in traffic and has excellent vision. Size may see him slip outside of the draft, if he is still their in the rookie draft, grab him.
Josh Thomas, 178cm, 70kg, MID, Gold Coast/Queensland

Hard at it contested ball winner, has good pace and is very clean by both hand and foot. Avergaed 19 possesions including 5 contested at this years championships representing Queensland.

John Rayner, 184cm, 69kg, MID, Western Jets

Super consistant, has a really nice good turn of speed and uses the ball pretty well. Is able to play both inside and out who averaged 21 disposals a game for the Jets this year, whilst also being named in the best in 12 of the 18 games he played for them.

Roland Ah Chee, 181cm, 79kg, MID, Norwood/Northern Territory

Tough hard at indingenious boy who goes against nearly everything indigenous players are. Good in the contested ball stakes, has nice pace whilst skills are clean without being outstanding.

Alex Carey, 181cm, 76kg, MID, Glenelg/South Australia

Smart and skillful inside midfielder who poseses good awareness and neat skills. Picks up a lot of ball and rarely wastes it.

George Long, 173cm, 76kg, DEF, Port Adelaide Magpies

Strong bodied small defender who has exceptional pace and a very good long booming kick on him. Injuries this year have cost him a bit but when on song, some people say "he is almost unstoppable".

Cameron Milne, 198cm, 98kg, RUCK, Lauderdale/Tassie Marriners

Developing ruckmen who uses his body really well in the ruck. Is willing to work hard around the ground and assist team mates and looks more than capable of providing a target in attack.

Brendan Fewster, 198cm, 91kg, RUCK, Calder Cannons

Good mobile tall who offers something around the ground. Is capable using both sides of his body. Can often go missing sometimes but as a ruckmen he was probably just on the bench.

Dylan Mcneil, 178cm, 75kg, MID, Murray Bushrangers/ NSW/ACT

Hard at it, tough inside midfielder who feels at home in the clearances. Won the Hunter Harrison medal for Div 2 at the championships and also won the Bushrangers B&F.

In Summary:

PICK 10:

1. Kane Lucas (Utility Midfielder)
2. Ben Cunnington (Inside Midfielder)
3. Koby Stevens (Inside Midfielder)
4. Luke Tapscott (Forward Midfielder)

PICK 24:

1. Callum Bartlett (Forward/Midfielder)
2. Ryan Bastinac (Inside/Midfielder)
3. Mitch Duncan (3rd Tall Forward)
4. Allen Chistenson (Burst Player, Forward/Midfielder)

PICK 26:

1. Ryan Bastinac (Inside Midfielder)
2. Mitch Duncan (3rd Tall Forward)
3. Allen Christenson (Burst Player, Forward/Midfielder)
4. Bradley Sheppard (Defender)

PICK 33:

1. Mark Hutchings (Inside Midfielder)
2. Max Gawn (Ruckmen)
3. Jesse Chichton (Inside Midfielder)

PRE SEASON DRAFT:

1. Daniel Harris (Inside Midfielder)
2. Daniel O'Keefe (Outside Ball User)
3. Stuart Crameri (Defender)
4. Matt Mcguire (Key Position Player)

ROOKIES:

1. George Long (Small Defender)
2. Levi Casboult (Forward/Ruckmen)
3. Broc McCauley (Ruckmen/Forward)
4. Josh Thomas (Inside Midfielder)
5. Joel Rayner (Inside Midfielder)
6. Roland Ah Chee (Inside Midfielder)
7. Mitch Fisher (Small Defender)
8. Anton Woods (Inside/Outside Midfielder)
9. Alex Carey (Inside/Outside Midfielder)
10. Brendan Fewster (Ruckmen)
11. Cameron Milne (Ruckmen)
12. Dylan McNeil (Inside Midfielder)

So there we are guys, some are in hope. others are a reality. I have tried to go after some of the needs (inside midfielders, ruckmen) a bit closer. Hopefully we can just get a good draft day now, that is all I am hoping for.

Thanks in advance

HFF_07[/quote]

Thorp or a kid.
Just not interested in any of the other delistings TBH.
There's often a few decent kids left for the PSD.

Thorpe has played 4 games in 4 years or something like that hasnt he? whats the difference between him and Jesse Smith? I do agree though, we should go after a kid though, I like the idea of Harris, he would just be a cheaper stop gap version of Ball.

Thorpe has played 4 games in 4 years or something like that hasnt he? whats the difference between him and Jesse Smith? I do agree though, we should go after a kid though, I like the idea of Harris, he would just be a cheaper stop gap version of Ball.
Thorp's been playing VFL a bit too.

Harris would give us nothing. Worse than Skipworth IMHO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: 2009 National, Rookie, PS Draft Previews - Who I Think We Should Take

I do not want Thorpe at the club, he's a ****.

Also, HFF, I reckon that Kobe Stevens may have fallen off the radar and am surprised Melky isn't there!

Pick 10: Tapscott Or Lucas.
Lucas will more than likely be gone by then, but Tapscott should still be around. Im guessing we will be able to pick up one of these players, more than likely Tapscott.
Lucas is an amazing athlete and good ball winner who can collect his own ball and pass it off to running players who have better foot skills than him, because that is where his downfall is.
Tapscott has an amazingly big kick, similar to Luke Hodge in distance i would say. His ability from set shots to kick goals from 50m+ is a rather large asset. He has a built body that would allow him to walk straight into AFL if required, similar to Porplyzia from Adelaide.

As for PSD, I would not touch Mc Guire, his body cannot handle it for the long term. Harris would be handy, but we already have watson who does his job better in all forms of the game.

I agree that we should not take him (Ball with picks 24 or 26, but if the club is that keen on him, then I think they will take him with on of these picks. Collingwood are stupid enough to waste their first pick (#30) on him. Even the lions are keen on him at 27 apparently too.

Who would you take in the PSD then Slattery_20?? just would like to know your opinion on this topic, nothing more, nothing less, just a bit of banter :thumbsu:

That in itself tells the story. If so many clubs are keen enough to use their twentysomething picks, he must still have incredible worth. I will beleive the opinion and expertise of all these clubs over most people who doubts Balls ability to still play football on here.

That in itself tells the story. If so many clubs are keen enough to use their twentysomething picks, he must still have incredible worth. I will beleive the opinion and expertise of all these clubs over most people who doubts Balls ability to still play football on here.

Could play far better at Essendon than at St Kilda.
Would be happy to use pick 26 on him,
but i would not touch him if he didnt want to play here.

Harris is trash. Maguire can't run. We could get Crameri on the rookie list if we were interested at all.

Agree with Crameri.

Could look at Harris as a mature age rookie in case the midfield goes pear shaped.

Agree with Crameri.

Could look at Harris as a mature age rookie in case the midfield goes pear shaped.
He's trash.
We'd be able to get something better. Keeping Skippy would be a better option ffs and he is clearly not up to it. Harris is a taller, uglier, slower, blonde Skippy who can't hit targets by foot.

If we picked him up as a rookie, it would be intresting to watch what the club could do to him.
His natural athelticism if playing in ruck, would allow him to get into space.
liken him to paddy ryder in a way, but far less classier and all that.

who is a realistic player that could fall to pick 10 that can win his own ball, good delivery on his kick and can pop up with a goal at times?
does anyone fit onto this category?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back