List Mgmt. 2011 AFL Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will add more meat on the bones in the next few days, but I thought I'd get the discussion started for now.

What: AFL pre season and rookie drafts

When: Tuesday December 13 10am'

Geelong's picks:
We can have seven rookies (9 rookies minus two vets outside the list) and we have retained Simpkin Walker Bathie Burbury and Stringer so we have two slots to fill:

Round 1 Selection #18

Round 2 Selection #36

Strategy:
The national draft has seen us really re-stock the forward line for the future with Kersten plus Murdoch and McCarthy, the latter two could also play higher up the ground. Hamling looks set to be moulded into a defender. Stephenson removes the need to take a ready made ruck prospect as a rookie, but we may want to take a development ruck prospect to follow the trend of doing so in 05 07 and 09.

We could probably also use another key defender to develop, both for the short and long term, as we haven't got much cover other than Gillies.

We will know more soon if we get any guys in to train as last year we took all the guys who trained with us, except Dahlhaus who the Dogs got first. We often take a player from our VFL team, and if we do I'd be considering names like McLean, Raidme, and maybe a bolter in Sheringham who had a great back end to the year. McLean is the best one we have, but he's also the same age as Stephenson, and I'm not expecting us to take 2 29 year olds.

Some guys who missed out in the draft that I'd look at:

Myles Bolger
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=123385

-Ruckman from WA, very surprised he didn't go as he is quite a good tap ruckman. Has had foot injuries in the past and this may be why he was overlooked, but one I'm keen on.

Andrew Boseley

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=120634

-key defender from the Falcons. Is quick with a 2.93 sprint, to put it into context that's 0.3 slower than Hamling and 0.3 faster than McCarthy and has good endurance plus reads the play well and will attack out of defence. I agree he needs to improve one on one but he's the ideal guy for the rookie list-has several AFL attributes if you can back your development to improve the rest.

Ben Darrou
Good size, love his tackling intent and seems to read the game quite well for a big guy and has a nice kick on him. One I'd be quite interested in having on our list.

Brody Mihocek

Julian Dobosz

Ben Brown
Coming off an ACL last year, had some good form at the Champs for TAS playing both forward and in the ruck. Quite athletic for his size, is very much the raw project player type but if we look for another ruck he has enough talent to work with on the rookie list.

Jack Crisp
Averaged 4.5 tackles at the champs, has good skills, positional versatility and the sort of hardworking nature that we value.

Xavier Richards

Shane Nelson
-Tested incredibly well for sprint and kicking and handballing, good endurance. Very surprised he didn't go main draft and would be happy to take him with our first rookie pick.

Josh Waldhunter

Mature age guys could include Jarrad Dalton who we reportedly had some interest in last year

(more to come)

Feel free to add names and start the discussion in the meantime.

Here I sit thinking about the Rookie Draft and its machinations, and all my questions and more are answered. You make our board amazing reading.

Anyway, really rate Michael Bussey as both player and person. Surprised he was overlooked. Eastern gun . Very teachable, mature, classy. Tall, 196 cm, only 82 kg, but plenty of scope as a KPB, though mainly played forward with Eastern

Alex Greenwood, highly rated at Eastern, mid, beautiful left footer, quick and clever. Best and Fairest.

Max Warren. Another Eastern mid that was highly respected by opposition coaches, never shirked a contest, fearless and creative.

Crozier and Patton naturally stole the limelight, but these 3 are worth a look.My bias is that I saw them play a dozen or more times.

Like Darrou, top player for premiers and Vic Metro rep, says it all, we missed on Lockyer but we could snare a similar heavy hitter like Darrou.
Richards
Bussey
Boseley
There's alot of quality youth in this one.

We are probably pretty right now for taller types after Thursday. I would imagine that Wells will look to use the 2 spots with speculative midfielders. I could see him surprising us again with someone very left field that he has seen in the back blocks of Camperdown or Colac.

Of the ones that I have seen vision of though Darrou hold some interest though I'm not sure we necessarily need his type. Bussey and Boseley likewise now.

What Buddha 230 put in the ND thread deserves to be here.
So here it is.

The rookie draft will have plenty of depth by the looks of things! This list of 50 names is filled with some quality.

Myles Bolger, Justin Clarke, Damian Mascitti, Jack Crisp, Shane Nelson, Julian Dobosz, Jordan Staley, Sam Frost, Waylen Manson, Michael Bussey, Marley Williams, Dylan Orval, Shaun Marusic, Brody Mihocek, Andrew Boseley, Jai Sheahan, Ben Brown, Jackson Coleman, Josh Waldhuter, Brett O'Hanlon, Mitch Wooffindin, Haiden Schloithe, Shaun Wyatt, Lachlan Boyd, Danny Butcher, Jake Hammond, Simon Deery, Fletcher Roberts, Nick Murphy, Anthony Tipungwuti, Ben Darrou, Cam Eardley, Piva Wright, Cam Valentine, Xavier Richards, Sam Gordon, Max Duffy, Lachlan Edwards, Steven Verrier, Lewis Hender, Frazer Dale, Lauchlan Dalgleish, Leif Cope, Michael Mascoulis, Hal Hunter, Aseri Raikiwasa, Matthew Jupp, Alex Howard, Matthew Jacquier, Steve Rusca.

I actually find most of these guys very draftable. There isn't too many I'd be really disappointed in.

Here are 15 potential State League players that you could add.

Jack Frost, Jack Hannath, Tom Langford, Cameron Shenton, Lee Spurr, Kyal Horsley, Darren Pfeiffer, Tom Sundberg, David Mirra, Sam Dwyer, Brad Mangan, Matt Suckling, Kyle Hartigan, Jarrod Dalton, Sam Gibson.

So there is 65 quality players to choose from. Add to that any recycled recently delisted players and you are looking at a decent available group.

What Buddha 230 put in the ND thread deserves to be here.
So here it is.

The rookie draft will have plenty of depth by the looks of things! This list of 50 names is filled with some quality.

Myles Bolger, Justin Clarke, Damian Mascitti, Jack Crisp, Shane Nelson, Julian Dobosz, Jordan Staley, Sam Frost, Waylen Manson, Michael Bussey, Marley Williams, Dylan Orval, Shaun Marusic, Brody Mihocek, Andrew Boseley, Jai Sheahan, Ben Brown, Jackson Coleman, Josh Waldhuter, Brett O'Hanlon, Mitch Wooffindin, Haiden Schloithe, Shaun Wyatt, Lachlan Boyd, Danny Butcher, Jake Hammond, Simon Deery, Fletcher Roberts, Nick Murphy, Anthony Tipungwuti, Ben Darrou, Cam Eardley, Piva Wright, Cam Valentine, Xavier Richards, Sam Gordon, Max Duffy, Lachlan Edwards, Steven Verrier, Lewis Hender, Frazer Dale, Lauchlan Dalgleish, Leif Cope, Michael Mascoulis, Hal Hunter, Aseri Raikiwasa, Matthew Jupp, Alex Howard, Matthew Jacquier, Steve Rusca.

I actually find most of these guys very draftable. There isn't too many I'd be really disappointed in.

Here are 15 potential State League players that you could add.

Jack Frost, Jack Hannath, Tom Langford, Cameron Shenton, Lee Spurr, Kyal Horsley, Darren Pfeiffer, Tom Sundberg, David Mirra, Sam Dwyer, Brad Mangan, Matt Suckling, Kyle Hartigan, Jarrod Dalton, Sam Gibson.

So there is 65 quality players to choose from. Add to that any recycled recently delisted players and you are looking at a decent available group.

Good stuff Vinum, beat me to it. :thumbsu:

Our history with "Rookies" is not that great , in part I believe its because we generally give max effort to the guys on the main and our picks generally have been so good. I see we have invited Andrew Boseley to train with us. Just not sure about him but as a Rookie we have little to lose.

The Rookie draft is always a good chance too top up the perceived holes. Thats the key , but only GFC would really know how they rate certain guys. Bathie for instance. Is he a really key back or alt 4th ruck ? He looked the former to me but I have only seen glimpses of him. Then again if they have asked Boseley to train with us.. It seems Mclean is less of a chance than others and maybe we will look at another ruck. Someone like Mitch Brewer perhaps. Not so young to place him as half a decade away but certainly someone that will take time to get his body to AFL standard

Do we have enough ready to go kids. The talent we have taken is elite considering our postition in drafts but to compensate that its generally more long term. how have Hyphen and Guthrie developed? I personally would like a little extra ompff around the ball , Jack Crisp perhaps.

What about the kid Marc Lock from the Suns , nobody seems to be mentioning him but he is a nice size and got pushed aside by too much talent
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2011/11/24/marc-lock-looks-to-draft-afl-player-football/

Andrew Boseley or Sam Frost would both be good as they were both predicted to got around pick 30 in the national draft. Nathan Ablett could also be useful for some reason I keep thinking he would do well in the back line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our history with "Rookies" is not that great , in part I believe its because we generally give max effort to the guys on the main and our picks generally have been so good. I see we have invited Andrew Boseley to train with us. Just not sure about him but as a Rookie we have little to lose.

The Rookie draft is always a good chance too top up the perceived holes. Thats the key , but only GFC would really know how they rate certain guys. Bathie for instance. Is he a really key back or alt 4th ruck ? He looked the former to me but I have only seen glimpses of him. Then again if they have asked Boseley to train with us.. It seems Mclean is less of a chance than others and maybe we will look at another ruck. Someone like Mitch Brewer perhaps. Not so young to place him as half a decade away but certainly someone that will take time to get his body to AFL standard

Do we have enough ready to go kids. The talent we have taken is elite considering our postition in drafts but to compensate that its generally more long term. how have Hyphen and Guthrie developed? I personally would like a little extra ompff around the ball , Jack Crisp perhaps.

What about the kid Marc Lock from the Suns , nobody seems to be mentioning him but he is a nice size and got pushed aside by too much talent
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2011/11/24/marc-lock-looks-to-draft-afl-player-football/

Where did you see the info re Boseley training? If so that's good, he's a good fit for us and have lots of talent.

I do agree that we could use another ready player if we want to do the rotate the squad. I wouldn't be against McLean but I doubt we will take him.

Brewer would be eligible to be a zone selection for Bris wouldn't he?

One guy who is still looking for a chance is Jai Bolton. Jai is 19 and from Leopold but was rookied by Collingwood last year. He played several pre seasons games and looked okay. He was delisted and would have gained plenty from the year at the Lexus centre. Worth a punt at 36 also.

He seemed ok in the NAB cup. Came through Nick Maxwell's "football academy" which makes me irrationally dislike the idea of taking him.

Of the state league players Pfeiffer is an interesting one. Had the talent to get a couple of chances with AFL clubs in the past but was a bit wayward IIRC. Maybe he has that sorted out.

I see we have invited Andrew Boseley to train with us. Just not sure about him but as a Rookie we have little to lose.

I personally would like a little extra ompff around the ball , Jack Crisp perhaps.

Get Boseley & Crisp and that is another successful draft raid by Geelong...from what I have read.

Not seeing guys play, I realise, makes it hugely difficult to pass judgement but these two guys sound alright to me.

And Sam Frost...just so I don't look like a dick for selecting him in my draft comp entry.

Some good common sense posts here, but I think we should consider one extra dimension that Wellsy obviously does, and that is not only holes in the positions played on the list, but the age profile, eg, Harry Taylor, and now Stevenson. If you look at his logic of keeping the list robust in the depth for now as well as later, Nathan Ablett as a back-up for the backline makes sense, given his age. He can cover for the next few years if needed due to injury, he could surprise everyone and play on merit, and this gives cover while Hamling is developing and if Gillies isnt up to it right now. And if he is a bust due to attitude, then its no biggie. That also allows us a free swing at the best mid we can find with the other pick who brings something different to our mid group.

NABLETT for me goes without saying.
Really really hope both he and the Club are serious about each other.

Ablett could very well be serious at the moment... but for how long?

His body language has always been woeful and unlike Gary, never seemed to actually enjoy the game. His lack of intensity also frustrated many.

He would need a complete and utter metamorphosis to even be vaguely considered. Frankly, can't see it happening.

Here I sit thinking about the Rookie Draft and its machinations, and all my questions and more are answered. You make our board amazing reading.

Anyway, really rate Michael Bussey as both player and person. Surprised he was overlooked. Eastern gun . Very teachable, mature, classy. Tall, 196 cm, only 82 kg, but plenty of scope as a KPB, though mainly played forward with Eastern

Alex Greenwood, highly rated at Eastern, mid, beautiful left footer, quick and clever. Best and Fairest.

Max Warren. Another Eastern mid that was highly respected by opposition coaches, never shirked a contest, fearless and creative.

Crozier and Patton naturally stole the limelight, but these 3 are worth a look.My bias is that I saw them play a dozen or more times.

Damien Volta from eastern, he has amazing speed and agility, great balance,hes versatile ,can play through the middle or iether end of the ground.would be a great rookie pick up.

Some good common sense posts here, but I think we should consider one extra dimension that Wellsy obviously does, and that is not only holes in the positions played on the list, but the age profile, eg, Harry Taylor, and now Stevenson. If you look at his logic of keeping the list robust in the depth for now as well as later, Nathan Ablett as a back-up for the backline makes sense, given his age. He can cover for the next few years if needed due to injury, he could surprise everyone and play on merit, and this gives cover while Hamling is developing and if Gillies isnt up to it right now. And if he is a bust due to attitude, then its no biggie. That also allows us a free swing at the best mid we can find with the other pick who brings something different to our mid group.

Pass. Sorry but I stuck up for the kid for years. Talent was there but the desire wasn't. Only saw him smile a couple of times on the ground, even our angry ant Chappy smiles 10 times more than that.

Would rather the club invest time & money on someone that will give their all to make it and I don't think Nathan has that in him.

In all honesty, if a decision came between the two, I would rather take Fev!! He has shown a hell of a lot more at the top level and has showed that he wants to play.

In saying that though I really don't want him either :D

Pass. Sorry but I stuck up for the kid for years. Talent was there but the desire wasn't. Only saw him smile a couple of times on the ground, even our angry ant Chappy smiles 10 times more than that.

Would rather the club invest time & money on someone that will give their all to make it and I don't think Nathan has that in him.

In all honesty, if a decision came between the two, I would rather take Fev!! He has shown a hell of a lot more at the top level and has showed that he wants to play.

In saying that though I really don't want him either :D
Fair points. But, surely IF Nathan even wanted to comeback to Geelong after all that has happened in his life, wouldn't that be a positive sign?

Nathan would not be a disruption to our existing set up as he can play CHB etc, whereas Fev can only play one spot, and we have that well covered.

Check out the post 07 GF scenario, Nathan was genuinely happy, and lack of smiling , you must be kidding about that being a reason for not looking at him. Maybe he wasn't at peace or really happy then. He may have matured and realised he's been gifted some talent that people dream about, and he has 5 years to make it happen. I'd rather he does that at Geelong than at one of our rival Melbourne teams.

I feel very strongly about Nathan, I know, but there is something about him that makes me think UNFINISHED BUSINESS, and it's not yet over for him. I have been wrong about some players, but correct about others, but a rookie spot for Nathan would be the icing on the cake , specially if he proves to be a worthy recipient. Is there really that much to lose?

Fair points. But, surely IF Nathan even wanted to comeback to Geelong after all that has happened in his life, wouldn't that be a positive sign?

Nathan would not be a disruption to our existing set up as he can play CHB etc, whereas Fev can only play one spot, and we have that well covered.

Check out the post 07 GF scenario, Nathan was genuinely happy, and lack of smiling , you must be kidding about that being a reason for not looking at him. Maybe he wasn't at peace or really happy then. He may have matured and realised he's been gifted some talent that people dream about, and he has 5 years to make it happen. I'd rather he does that at Geelong than at one of our rival Melbourne teams.

I feel very strongly about Nathan, I know, but there is something about him that makes me think UNFINISHED BUSINESS, and it's not yet over for him. I have been wrong about some players, but correct about others, but a rookie spot for Nathan would be the icing on the cake , specially if he proves to be a worthy recipient. Is there really that much to lose?

Not much to lose but I'd rather give the opportunity to someone who is going to give everything to make it. I know Nathan had injuries over the past couple of years but he looks to have gone backwards a long way since he left us.

The smiling thing is based on his demeanor. He never really looked like he was enjoying himself. I would think that getting paid a heap of money to play footy with your brother would result in some decent goal kicking celebrations. Look at Moons & Stokes, the way they celebrated when the kicked goals, that's passion and a want to win. That's what I didn't see enough of with Nathan. Yes it was probably his personality and he my have had a change since, but I'm not convinced.

Add to that there might be a bit of bad blood about his previous departure and him being used as a pawn in the Gaz departure too.

If he really wants it then sign him up on the VFL list and let him prove himself. Yes we won't have dibs on him come draft time but a lot of clubs would think twice on drafting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back