2011 - Break Out

Remove this Banner Ad

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Okay we have a lot of negative stuff on the board of late. How about a little positive thinking. Who do you think will have a break out year in 2011 and why?

I will leave the obvious choices for others and go with Jesse O'Brien. O'Brien got a game this year and looked a little out of his depth but at least he knows what to expect and knows what he needs to do in the offseason. He is a very smart footballer who reads the play well and has excellent skills. He will play on the wing or half back and he is one I can see doing a Rocky and really blowing people away in his second year. He has a similar type of skill set and I think will surprise many next year.

I will go with Proud. Pretty simply he has to or else he will be delisted. Has shown some glimpses and I think if he can get fit he will be a good contributor.

Going a little left field with this one, but i think adcock will become a consistent and proven ball winner after being moved to the midfield.

Going a little left field with this one, but i think adcock will become a consistent and proven ball winner after being moved to the midfield.

Was just about to say. Injury free who knows maybe AA. Polkinghorne is another who if he gets his body right may be able to become a solid midfield contributor.

Great iea Quigs.

For mine - I think Todd Banfield will come on leaps and bounds - even on his 2010 performance. Hopefully he can get a run further up the ground and use his pace and carry. Staighter kicking and he'll kick us 40 odd in 2011.

Because of the reverse psychology of this forum. End of season last year was all backslapping and high-fives about how awesome our recruiting was and Vossy's amazing vision etc. then the 2010 turned to shite. This year all the talk is about the lions being a basket case and we're screwed and needing a 5 year plan. I say the lions will have a breakout year next year just to prove us all wrong (again!).
On a similar vein maybe Vossy. His pride would have been stung big time and he is not one to be outworked. Look for him to leave no stone unturned and demonstrate how good a coach he is.

I have Claye Beams pencilled in my dream team already. If not for management issues he would have debut this year. With another preseason under his belt, and positions available in our midfield he is going to be important to us very quickly.

There's a lot to admire about Polkinghorne, I love the way he goes about it. With another pre-season under his belt and a more of a go in the midfield I think he will make a name for himself.

Harwood would be my other pick.

I immediately though about O'Brien as well. I think if he can get his fitness up, he could really make an impact in our team. Playing as an outside mid / winger. We don't have a lot of players that play this role well, and there is plenty to like in the kid.

I immediately though about O'Brien as well. I think if he can get his fitness up, he could really make an impact in our team. Playing as an outside mid / winger. We don't have a lot of players that play this role well, and there is plenty to like in the kid.

I've heard that O'Brien at school lacked commitment and had many distractions (wasn't anywhere close to a coach's dream). He may have turned it around and is naturally gifted but I'm not sure he has the commitment like Rockliff has to take the next step into the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure he has the commitment like Rockliff has to take the next step into the AFL.

that must be a record - 12 posts in and our first negative. Come on Jackess - positives on this thread :D

I'm really hoping Rich will start to have the same kind of impact he did in his first year. After a year being tagged and a preseason after that, I reckon he will be able to do it!

There's a lot to admire about Polkinghorne, I love the way he goes about it. With another pre-season under his belt and a more of a go in the midfield I think he will make a name for himself.

Harwood would be my other pick.

Agree with this post entirely. With so many players leaving there will be a number of opportunities for these young lads to cement a spot in the midfield. Both are hard nuts and I would really like to see these two play a battering ram style of footy next season ala Michael Voss.

Along with Albert Proud these youngsters all have the credentials to put the fear of god in opposition players.

Will surprise a few (especially Tassie 4 ever), but I'll go into bat for Proudy. Hopefully he'll get his knee right, lose 5 kgs and have the best darned pre-season possible. Whack him in the guts and let him rip. :thumbsu:

I think there were some great signs in the last month of the season that he's turned a pretty significant corner, both off and on field.

EDIT: And where I said "whack him in the guts", I didn't mean deliver a short sharp jab to his solar plexus. :eek:

DOUBLE EDIT: I've been looking for an excuse to post this:
[YOUTUBE]kxqhEbTAdME[/YOUTUBE]

Leuenberger.

I'm hoping he can pack on 10kgs in the preseason as he has the skill and athleticism to dominate in the ruck, just needs to gain back some more strength he lost this year due to the infection.

I will go with Proud. Pretty simply he has to or else he will be delisted. Has shown some glimpses and I think if he can get fit he will be a good contributor.

Now that's funny, Proud is crap. He has a fundamental flaw in his game that will make him appear on the delist list next year - that is his disposal is below standard. Can't hit a tarhet. This is something a preseason won't solve

Will surprise a few (especially Tassie 4 ever), but I'll go into bat for Proudy. Hopefully he'll get his knee right, lose 5 kgs and have the best darned pre-season possible. Whack him in the guts and let him rip. :thumbsu:

I think there were some great signs in the last month of the season that he's turned a pretty significant corner, both off and on field.

EDIT: And where I said "whack him in the guts", I didn't mean deliver a short sharp jab to his solar plexus. :eek:

DOUBLE EDIT: I've been looking for an excuse to post this:
[youtube]kxqhEbTAdME[/youtube]

haha :thumbsu: Yep a break out and 2011 will be 'Glee Club' time... if not 'The Blame.... can be put in a negative thread elsewhere.

[youtube]PwpjWeXpCkE[/youtube]

My vote is for Bort - but obviously needs to get to 2011.

Now that's funny, Proud is crap. He has a fundamental flaw in his game that will make him appear on the delist list next year - that is his disposal is below standard. Can't hit a tarhet. This is something a preseason won't solve

The idea of this thread is to bring out a few positives in peoples hopes for next year. **** off to any one of the multitude threads where people are bagging our players if you have nothing but this shit to contribute.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 - Break Out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back