What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea what his capacity is but I want to build a portion of our midfield around Cam. Just put it on him to perform. He will make mistakes which is fine, but he needs a sink or swim moment to push through the barriers that are holding him back.

Don’t @ me.

Really needs to happen doesn't it. Otherwise watch him leave at the end of next year and go to a team that will. It may fail, but I'd much rather try and fail than not try and never know for sure.

Putting him in the reserves and telling him to just go for it in the midfield could be the making of him.

But we have a line in the sand about dropping him so would rather have him in the Seniors but in bit part roles where he has little impact most weeks anyway.

It's still to be proven whether he's good enough to be a permanent midfielder ,who knows, but nonetheless he's been mismanaged in my view.

I think he will be too old for their list build by then.
Word from the Age Real Footy podcast, is Richmond looking to go hard in this and next year’s draft, then going hard at free agents in 2026.

Going a year early on Cam, at the end of 2025, when they have the money, won’t hurt them.

They have quite a few good kids already, they’re just being smashed by injuries. Those kids should be ready by 2026 to contribute.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they end up with 3 first round picks this year, and go after mids with all 3 picks, and possibly a half back with their early second round pick.

They have enough second and third round picks to trade for our first round pick.

They probably trade Riolli (the good one) to GC for one or two of GC’s first round picks as well.

We’ve been trying to develop him as a midfielder for probably 5 years now with little to show for it and it’s stalled his development as a forward.

I say leave him as a forward and let him start being a consistent contributor there instead of being an average forward and below average midfielder
I'm not against that either if you thought he could be a consistent/good contributor.

We’ve been trying to develop him as a midfielder for probably 5 years now with little to show for it and it’s stalled his development as a forward.

I say leave him as a forward and let him start being a consistent contributor there instead of being an average forward and below average midfielder
I've been thinking about this and the high probability is you're right.

I don't think he'll ever be a permanent mid but because he's not doing a lot anywhere else you have to roll the dice.

But on reflection his lack of chasing and harassing and spasmodic efforts that seem to pepper his career might be due to him saving himself for when he has to play upfield , just focusing on being a mid because that is where they tell him he needs to end up.

Maybe accepting what he is and getting him to focus solely on forward play could make him the damaging player we want him to be.

I've been thinking about this and the high probability is you're right.

I don't think he'll ever be a permanent mid but because he's not doing a lot anywhere else you have to roll the dice.

But on reflection his lack of chasing and harassing and spasmodic efforts that seem to pepper his career might be due to him saving himself for when he has to play upfield , just focusing on being a mid because that is where they tell him he needs to end up.

Maybe accepting what he is and getting him to focus solely on forward play could make him the damaging player we want him to be.
Honestly I'd be plonking him at half back and Answerth into the forward line 🤷

Honestly I'd be plonking him at half back and Answerth into the forward line 🤷
Dunno myself but sometimes when you believe something should or will be a certain way in life there comes a time when you just have to take a few quiet breaths and accept what is. And make the most of that.

I'd say there's no one with a chance of selection who'll want to miss out this week. Answerth has played himself back in to the best 22 but in reference to my first paragraph i.e. the belief bit ,I'm still not on board. But in terms of effort yeah , at least he and Ah Chee would keep the pressure up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno myself but sometimes when you believe something should or will be a certain way in life there comes a time when you just have to take a few quiet breaths and accept what is. And make the most of that.

I'd say there's no one with a chance of selection who'll want to miss out this week. Answerth has played himself back in to the best 22 but in reference to my first paragraph i.e. the belief bit ,I'm still not on board. But in terms of effort yeah , at least he and Ah Chee would keep the pressure up.
I'm sort of thinking out loud here, but a guy like Zorko is somewhat discerning with his kicks and decision making. Whereas a Rayner type coming from a similar spot might allow us to play with more of that change of pace between the arcs, allowing us to move the ball quickly through the middle. Which I think we need to do more at times.

So the two in tandem might provide a compelling contrast to our transition through the middle third of the ground.

Rayner also showed at least a willingness to be accountable to an opponent during his brief stint in defence early last year. This option ideally gives us the best of several worlds... it gets him more involved in the game without requiring him to play in a midfield role. It invokes his ability to break tackles. And if his half forward opponent wants to run him up the ground, well he becomes an attacking threat, with a guy like Answerth able to drop in behind to fill his half back position during those brief periods.

Zorko and McKenna and Reville and Brain are the guys we should look to when we want to change angles and spread the defence. Rayner and Wilmot are the guys we should look to when we want to get the ball inside 50 quickly. Both methods have their time and place and we should look to employ both depending on how the field looks in front of us at that point in time.

I'm sort of thinking out loud here, but a guy like Zorko is somewhat discerning with his kicks and decision making. Whereas a Rayner type coming from a similar spot might allow us to play with more of that change of pace between the arcs, allowing us to move the ball quickly through the middle. Which I think we need to do more at times.

So the two in tandem might provide a compelling contrast to our transition through the middle third of the ground.

Rayner also showed at least a willingness to be accountable to an opponent during his brief stint in defence early last year. This option ideally gives us the best of several worlds... it gets him more involved in the game without requiring him to play in a midfield role. It invokes his ability to break tackles. And if his half forward opponent wants to run him up the ground, well he becomes an attacking threat, with a guy like Answerth able to drop in behind to fill his half back position during those brief periods.

Zorko and McKenna and Reville and Brain are the guys we should look to when we want to change angles and spread the defence. Rayner and Wilmot are the guys we should look to when we want to get the ball inside 50 quickly. Both methods have their time and place and we should look to employ both depending on how the field looks in front of us at that point in time.
Well we've got all options on the table for Cam except ruck.

Fwiiw I thought he went ok when we played him in the back half and was assured enough there.

We've got half back flankers coming out of our ears haven't we.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back