Opinion 2011 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney:

1. Goodes (where would others have him, I've bumped him up a fair bit because I think I've been a bit cautious in rating him too high, probably around 13th?)

8th to 10th.

Great list. Only query is whether Luke Shuey deserves to be in the top 50. Particularly with Black being out.

TBH I wouldn't have him near it tbh.

Sometimes we get sucked into the young players a bit too much.

For instance as a comparison.

Shuey:

20 disposals, 23 goals, 17 goal assists

B.Harvey

23 disposals, 32 goals, 15 goal assists.

And most havn't had Harvey near it.

D.Martin kicked 33 goals this season as well as getting it 22 times a game, I'd have him ahead of Shuey.

The difference between Shuey/Martin vs Harvey? Harvey gets the hardest tag of the North side, more often than not, where as Martin/Shuey can run around as they please.

The hard tag that has to be taken into account when deciding between players.

Good post Chrome Dome. To be honest it looks like I have rated Schuey too highly. Looks like most have him in the 50-70 range.

Boomer Harvey definitely a victim of his own high standards as often happens with the great players.

Shuey also gets double the clearances that Harvey does, and 20 more than Martin. Gets more contested possessions, inside 50s and tackles than the other 2. Uses the ball better than Harvey as well.

Might not make him top 50, but I think he'll finish 3rd in our B&F after Priddis and Cox.

Id have Shuey as unlucky, on the cusp.

WCE
1. Cox
2. Priddis
3. Glass

Unlucky/borderline: Hurn, Scott Selwood, Naitanui, Shuey and Kennedy

Any 50 without Jack Redden will not be taken seriously by me.

They are both in. Bartel as well. So that's 45.

It's the last five I'm struggling with.

Big names like Pavlich/Goddard. The two HB's Birchall/Murphy. Key defenders Tarrant/Richards/Rutten. Extra mids Kennedy/Moloney/Martin?

No idea.

Does Tom Rockliff winning Brisbane's B&F give more weight to him claiming a spot on the list in favour of Simon Black/Jack Redden?

Rockliffs last few games were elite, the reason why he won the B&F. Redden has been consistently better throughout the year and probably deserves to be in front of Rockliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson was right at the top in the first few rounds of the year, but by the end he had missed too many games to fit in. I would put him on a level with Stanton over the season. It's either both or neither for me.

i know everyone has different opinions

im a brisbane supporter, how did merrett and adcock get in before rockliff, redden and black, who have all been standout players all year.

was this for the first half of the season, because watson and mundy had good first halfs, until injury struck for both of them

my top 5 would be

1. goodes ( untaggable, only few players can match him, when on song, he makes the swans win off his own boot )
2. judd ( probably going to win a 3rd brownlow, just amazing )
3. ablett ( for the situation he is in, playing with all younger players and a weaker team, hes done an exceptional job and is a big impact for the suns )
4. pendlebury (very smart player, always has space, bloody good)
5. swan ( amazing player, knows how to find the ball and gets a heap of touches )

They are both in. Bartel as well. So that's 45.

It's the last five I'm struggling with.

Big names like Pavlich/Goddard. The two HB's Birchall/Murphy. Key defenders Tarrant/Richards/Rutten. Extra mids Kennedy/Moloney/Martin?

No idea.
Pavlich had a horrible year, can't possibly be in consideration.
Goddard had a really good last 2/3 of the season, but the start he was in all sorts.
Martin probably had the better year of those three midfielders but even then, he'd be right on the borderline.

Watson was right at the top in the first few rounds of the year, but by the end he had missed too many games to fit in. I would put him on a level with Stanton over the season. It's either both or neither for me.
The general perception of Stanton is clouded by the very ordinary 5 or 6 weeks he had while playing injured (was it a cracked sternum??) but how well did he finish the season. Possibly the best footy he has ever played.

Goddard had a really good last 2/3 of the season, but the start he was in all sorts.
Martin probably had the better year of those three midfielders but even then, he'd be right on the borderline.
Pavlich had a horrible year by his standards. Still good by AFL standards. I definitely prefer him as a forward though.

Completely forgot about finishing this.

I brought Glass in. So three more spots left. R.Murphy was borderline so his AA spot might be a good reason to put him in.

Only have two Swans and Richards/Kennedy were borderline. Tarrant/Rutten the other two off the top of my head. Milne?

1. Pendlebury
2. Ablett
3. Murphy
4. Mitchell
5. Judd

I'll go with the above top 5. Murphy has probably ended up overtaking Judd now. Flip a coin for Murphy/Mitchell.

Moloney was much better than Martin this year.

No he wasn't, the only game he was horrible in was the Geelong game.

He had the flu and was subbed out before 1/2 time.

I can't imagine trying to play elite sport with the flu.

Better late than never. Sorry I didn't really put as much effort into it this year as I should have. Too busy now and I probably won't do it next year if I can't do it properly. No point really because I'm just guessing about 50% of the time now.

Used the AA team to help fill the last two spots with Milne and Murphy. Plenty unlucky. Pavlich and Goddard are probably victims of their own high standards. I could nearly throw Frawley and J.Riewoldt in to that group. The high quality of defenders with Rutten, Tarrant and Richards having good seasons. Martin another who was close. I've struggled with West Coast and Essendon all year and that's still the same now. Wasn't too sure with Carlton either. Walker or Simpson probably next in line.

How our coaches saw it:

FINAL LEADERBOARD
1 - Murphy 678
2 - Judd 469
3 - Gibbs 448
4 - Scotland 408
5 - Simpson 376
6 - Walker 319
7 - Robinson 301
8 - Betts 285
9 - Jamison 257
10 -Yarran 237

Murphy's tally by far the highest any player's gotten under this system. Next best is Judd in 2009 with about 560. Polled in a remarkable 22 of 24 games - how's that for consistency?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2011 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back