Opinion 2011 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal

Sorry for the delay. I won't be watching as much football this year, so there will be more dodgy selections than previous years. I have watched a fair bit over the past two weeks, due to the spread of games, but I won't be able to watch the 5+ games per week I have watched over the past few years.

I'm not too fussed about the order just yet (especially from 25thish spot down). So if you say why is 35th player higher than 48th player, I don't really have an answer. Not enough games to get a good form line on the players, plus I haven't been watching as much.
For the first half of the year it's just about getting the right players so we know early season form won't be ignored. I'd appreciate more input this year because I might be way off with a some players. Plus I would have completely missed some.

Seems pretty good to me although if I had to say one thing it'd be that the forwards aren't rated very high across the whole board.

I mean ( Buddy Love to the max here) Buddy's averaging 3.6 goals, 20 disposals and 5.6 marks per game and he's 22nd? Also I'd like to see Jacky Riewoldt, Fletcher and Priddis tad higher. But yeah couldn't have done any better myself, nice.

Was wondering whether you were going to be doing this again this year. Loved your work last year. One of the few posters who is able to put common perceptions of players aside and just judge them by what they do on the field that season.

First list here looks spot on again. Probably being a little bit picky but would like to see Ablett in at least the unlucky category. I know he has missed a game and already had a bye but imo he has been great in every match bar round 1 so far.

Good point about the forwards. I can change that for next week.

Ablett is in the unluckies but probably should be on the list. I missed the Bulldogs v GC game. So I've only seen him play Port and Essendon.

Good point about the forwards. I can change that for next week.

Ablett is in the unluckies but probably should be on the list. I missed the Bulldogs v GC game. So I've only seen him play Port and Essendon.
Happy to provide some Buddy-defensive insight:) but nah I do love Jack as well as do most now.

Glad to see you're doing this again AG. One of my favorite threads from last year.

From a Geelong perspective I think you've got the right group of players. Bartel is maybe a little high; I'd have a hard time splitting him, Chapman and probably Enright as our best so far. I'd also have Scarlett higher up but as you said, the difference between players 30/35+ is pretty small.

Much separating the top five? In particular Watson, Pendlebury, Swan and Judd who seem pretty hard to order atm.

Great work as usual.

Fairly even so far but getting the order of the top 7 was hard. If there is a gap anywhere it's between 7th and 8th. I think those top 7 have been the standout players imo.

As you said Bartel might be too high, Scarlett to low etc. but movements will fix themselves up over the next 5-6 weeks. At the moment I just want the right players on the list.

Also players won't move when they have their bye. eg. Pendlebury will only fall if Cox has a blinder.

Might wanna put sammy mitchell a bit higher as well his disposals aren't incredilbly effective but atm he would be in the top 3 for disposals if he hadn't missed a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the delay. I won't be watching as much football this year, so there will be more dodgy selections than previous years. I have watched a fair bit over the past two weeks, due to the spread of games, but I won't be able to watch the 5+ games per week I have watched over the past few years.

You're really letting the team down.

Struggling with Bombers and Pies this year. Way too even across the board. Watson the obvious standout and I think Hocking is sort of a clear 2nd best but after that..no idea. Fletcher hasn't been a standout apart from the Carlton game, so I guess reputation is playing a part with him. Hardingham? Crameri? Heppell? Too even.

Same with Collingwood, the didn't play this week but Dawes is on the cusp and that just leaves 5 pies on the list. Yet they have been a standout team. Reid? Ball? Blair? All playing well but after the clear top 4 in Pendles, Swan, Shaw and Cloke it gets hard. I probably have Thomas too high as it is as well.

Struggling with Bombers and Pies this year. Way too even across the board. Watson the obvious standout and I think Hocking is sort of a clear 2nd best but after that..no idea. Fletcher hasn't been a standout apart from the Carlton game, so I guess reputation is playing a part with him. Hardingham? Crameri? Heppell? Too even.

I've got a stand-out player for you this year - Ben Howlett.
He is looking fantastic and I think he has been every bit as good as Hocking.
Just needs to get more of the pill to be as damaging as Watson.

Same with Collingwood, the didn't play this week but Dawes is on the cusp and that just leaves 5 pies on the list. Yet they have been a standout team. Reid? Ball? Blair? All playing well but after the clear top 4 in Pendles, Swan, Shaw and Cloke it gets hard. I probably have Thomas too high as it is as well.

IMO our best players, in order so far, are as follows:

Swan
Pendlebury
Shaw
Cloke
Thomas
Reid
Dawes
Ball
Johnson
Sidebottom
Blair

I've got a stand-out player for you this year - Ben Howlett.
He is looking fantastic and I think he has been every bit as good as Hocking.
Just needs to get more of the pill to be as damaging as Watson.

Got big wraps on Howlett, he had a slow start, but finding his feet more every game. That said, Hocking, Hardingham, Heppell, Fletcher, Jetta, Stanton and Crameri would all would be ahead in our B&F atm. Would probably have Hardingham ahead of Fletcher as our best defender so far, but it would be close.

Good to see the list rolling again AG, always a good read.

boyd should be higher. second in average disposals, and whilst he isnt doing as much with it as others, still a heap. Isnt that much worse then Jobe Watson, apart from the fact he doesnt kick goals.

Essendon is tough to rate. But you have to go with consistency.

Watson
Hocking
Crameri

Fletcher
Stanton
Jetta
Hardingham
Howlett

Hooker
Lonergan

It's very tough though. Watson is clearly best, and Crameri and Hocking are top 50 players to date if you ask me.

Jetta, Hardingham and Howlett might push up there but Fletcher and Stanton are the kind of guys who will always be on the cusp, their output is pretty predictable at this stage.

boyd should be higher. second in average disposals, and whilst he isnt doing as much with it as others, still a heap. Isnt that much worse then Jobe Watson, apart from the fact he doesnt kick goals.

no dogs should be in there apart from Griffen.

Quibbling... Rutten in there ahead of Jamison and Fletcher (and even Hooker)?
I think that might change. Has not been bad, but how high can you really have a full-back in a losing side? But as you say from 25 onwards there are 4 or 5 dozen 'arguables'

Big gap between Essendon's #1 and our 2, which could be any of 5 or 6. Outside the list, Crameri's probably next in line, then Heppell and Stanton.
Thomas' inclusion is OK by me, has been very influential. Cloke, Swan Pendles, Shaw and Thomas are in there, Dawes not quite yet, Reid not.

Sorry for not getting last week done. Once the financial year is finished I should be right for every week but until then I might miss a random week here and there.

Will have one done for this weekend. The movements will be based on the two previous rounds. Looks like I'll have Swan, Shaw, Pendlebury, Thomas, Cloke in that order for Collingwood. Reid and Sidebottom on the fringe (Reid maybe just in).

Bartel, Kelly, Scarlett, Chapman, Ottens, Enright, Selwood in for the cats (unsure of order). Corey on the fringe. Cats have had more standout players, Pies have the better spread. Might do what I did last year and base it on an average output (the player has to play 70%ish of games during the year without it affecting his movement, after that a missed game counts for 0), so Selwood might fly up the rankings this week. He has been excellent since he returned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2011 Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back