2012/13 ABC cricket Criticism thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You can be a good cricket commentator without having played international cricket but I still don't rate Harsha Bhogle as a commentator.

Geoff Lawson, mark Taylor, Ian Healy, Michael Slater, Mark Waugh all played cricket for their states and their country, but are totally hopeless as commentators who only got their jobs because they played the highest form of cricket.

Jim Maxwell only ever played grade cricket and is one of the most respected commentators in cricket in Australia.
mark Nicholas, county cricket but is a far better than most of the morons in the channel nine box .in simple terms although people like pete roebuck, Harsha Bhogle never played cricket at the highest level but are well respected world wide and have good cricket brains & prove that you don't need to be an ex cricketer to be a good commentator

Love the ABC commentary usually.

Every now and again I get annoyed at Jim Maxwell when he slips into the bored tone of voice. I don't like that.

Despite the fact I'm a Victorian, a Victorian who hates Haddin. Despite hearing Lawson often supporting the inclusion of Haddin in the team. Despite him often going on about how the game is always making rules to benefit the batsmen, I'm sticking up for Geoff. The typical criticism of him in threads like this one, doesn't bother me as much. His analysis and stories he tells form his career a good. As opposed to KOK, who I get the impression just wings it, especially his reading of the game, opinions on players, tactical analysis. Come at me!

Lawson got caught out in one of the South African games. They were talking about other fast bowling options. Bird's name came up and Lawson had a dig at the Hobart pitch and how he was only in the discussion because of the friendly pitch, the commentator with him(can't remember who) then says he averages 21 at the other grounds, there is a pause and the next ball is delivered and Lawson changes the subject. His lack of knowledge of Australian domestic cricket is amazing, I believe he said Alex Doolan couldn't bat at 3 because he was more a number 6....
The first time I've come across criticism of Lawson where I say "fair enough". I think in this situation though, he'd have been better off acknowledging Bird's stats, then as a legit contender, than mpving onto another subject. A weakness in his style maybe, but I don't think it makes him a bad commentator.

Steve Waugh was spot on in his autobiography when he said "Henry wasn't everyone's cup of tea". Very opinionated which is always going to put some listeners off.

I'd sooner rather see Drew Morphett get the flick the cricket coverage.

I like Lawson. He calls it as he sees it and doesn't care who he upsets. He speaks the truth...

Feel the same way about Lawson. Don't necessarily agree with everything he says but one things for sure with Henry...he's no yes man. Calls it as he sees it. And good on him for doing so.

Try the Geoff Lawson Drinking Game: Drink every time he mentions the University of NSW.

has an uncanny knack to relate world topics to sydney grade cricket

if you give him 45 mins he can tell you the impact that the syrian uprising has had on the condition of sydney grade cricket pitches and how it makes public high schools better than private ones

Feel the same way about Lawson. Don't necessarily agree with everything he says but one things for sure with Henry...he's no yes man. Calls it as he sees it. And good on him for doing so.
he calls it how he see it. that's his biggest problem he is a moron full stop and has no knowledge out side cricket of NSW thats what where sick off. his limited knowledge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can be a good cricket commentator without having played international cricket but I still don't rate Harsha Bhogle as a commentator.

I don't mind Drew Morphett, he's a better footy commentator than cricket commentator but he's still very easy to listen to and doesn't take himself too seriously.
Indeed.

John Arlott. Brian Johnston. Christopher Martin-Jenkins. Tony Cozier. And so on....

And in Australia, the game was never the same without McGilvray.

^ Lawson is far from a moron. He's opiniated and NSW biased but he makes some excellent points about the game. Just because you don't agree with his opinions does not make him a moron.
im not saying i dont agree with his opinions, if i was a young cricketer in NSW playing grade cricket wanting to know about how a pitch is playing then he is the man to ask, apart from that where his knowledge stops.

im not saying i dont agree with his opinions, if i was a young cricketer in NSW playing grade cricket wanting to know about how a pitch is playing then he is the man to ask, apart from that where his knowledge stops.
Well, he is from there, he would know about that scene more than any other local comp. Do you expect him to know the conditions of the synthetic pitches in Diamond Valley cricket? (That's NE suburbs of Melbourne)

Well, he is from there, he would know about that scene more than any other local comp. Do you expect him to know the conditions of the synthetic pitches in Diamond Valley cricket? (That's NE suburbs of Melbourne)
no his job is to talk about the cricket and its current state of play, to his audience of Australia wide, its fair enough he wants to talk about Sydney grade cricket, but when he starts crapping on about which suburban 2nd 11 ground needs to cut their grass shorter it gets a bit much. his knowledge of cricket stop there

no his job is to talk about the cricket and its current state of play, to his audience of Australia wide, its fair enough he wants to talk about Sydney grade cricket, but when he starts crapping on about which suburban 2nd 11 ground needs to cut their grass shorter it gets a bit much. his knowledge of cricket stop there
Yeah, fair enough.

Hurstbridge's provides plenty of movement. :thumbsu:

Anyone hear Andrew MacDonald he said Chris Rogers should be picked for the ashes :eek:

He must've realised his bias, because he refused to name Siddle and Pattinson as being in the best 3 Test quicks currently

Hurstbridge's provides plenty of movement. :thumbsu:
Haha. You know the best innings from an opposition junior, that I've played against, was at Hurstbridge. A chunky kid that made a 50, but worth a 70, with all shots that pulled up short of the boundary, with very thick grass in the outfield. He even faced a bloke who played for lower district teams. So, maybe that hit was better than even what I gave it credit for. Loyola College has uneven bounce, like a turf wicket!

Like McGain.... Did at 1st wonder why Peter Schwab was commentating! Then they said who it was! Also had some interesting points about how Brad Hodge goes about moving the fielders where he wants when batting (this was during a stars game last week)

Did anyone else here Lawson say he was clocked at 156kph in his prime?? Surely not?

Remove this Banner Ad

2012/13 ABC cricket Criticism thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back