2012/13 Melbourne Victory Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

celeski = gone
milligan = staying

sad to see billy go but i think we may make a move for mckay now which would be a perfect replacement. milligan staying is brilliant news, will defo be captain next season even though i reckon he will be off after the world cup

A-League All Star Billy Celeski is set to become the latest Australian to join the money train to the Middle East with a lucrative switch to Sharjah-based Al Shaab CSC.

Osieck: It's Milligan's decision

McKay has interest from home and abroad

Celeski – who this month stepped out against Manchester United and Liverpool in the space of five days – is expected to arrive in the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday night for a medical as he prepares to join Gulf-based Aussies Sasa Ognenovski, Mark Bresciano, Alex Brosque, Matt Spiranovic and Dino Djulbic.

Sources at Al Shaab have revealed it has been contact with Australian agent Ante Ailovic over the transfer with the clubs agreeing a “substantial fee” for Celeski, whose Victory contract was due to expire at the end of the season.

Al Shaab, which last week failed in a bid to snare Sydney FC’s Nicky Carle, finished 12th in the 14-team Arabian Gulf League and is looking to Celeski to help spark a revival, with the season kicking off against Al Jazira on 14 September.

Carle reportedly turned down $500,000 for one season – a similar sum Celeski can now expect to pocket in the tax-free haven.

Celeski’s departure will be a body blow to Victory for whom he won an A-League championship winners’ medal in his debut season in 2008-2009 following his arrival from Perth Glory.

He was one of coach Ange Postecoglou’s most consistent and creative performers last season, making 27 appearances.

In all, the former Young Socceroos midfielder, 28, has played 123 A-League games.

With speculation swirling over the future of fellow Victory midfielder Mark Milligan, the looming exit of Celeski – who with Connor Pain was a standout performer in the 2-0 loss to Liverpool at the MCG last week – will add a sense of urgency to Postecoglou’s push to strengthen his midfield following the recent disappointment of missing out of Greece captain Georgios Karagounis and Italian maverick Fabrizio Miccoli.

A Victory official declined to comment on Monday night on the Celeski situation.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1161586/Celeski-set-for-Middle-East-move

Sad to see billy go will be missed

We better be making some kickass signing soon!!!

why soon? we are still over 2 months away from the start of the season and i would rather the club not rush into signings like i feel we did with a few in the past year...

yep he is definitely staying

not that surprised he is tbh. his family is settled here, playing the best football of his career, will be captain for us + world cup year so needs as much game time as possible. if he continues his form he can get an even better offer next year

Surprised that Milligan is turning down an EPL move. I can understand why he didn't want to chase the petro dollars in the middle east but I certainly would understand if he wanted to spend this season in the EPL with Brazil 2014 coming up. Happy for him to stay though, fantastic footballer by A League standards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A massive year to be a member of Melboune Victory

7 Blockbuster Fixtures:

1x Heart (Docklands)
2x Adelaide UTD (1x Docklands 1x Swan Street)
2x Sydney FC (1x Docklands 1x Swan Street)
2 x Western Sydney (2x Swan Street)

Monday Night Football on Cup Eve v Wellington was also a big turnout last season and it's on again this season at Docklands and this tim Ernie Merrick comes back to Melbourne

5 games in Melbourne (4 home games) in a row over December.

Already got Parramatta, Perth and Wellington booked for away trips. Actually looking forward to this season!

Get onboard and enjoy the amazing ride!

Also 12,766 members is the latest to date. Have so completion this season with WSW having currently over 14,000

I think going after McKay now is a must, and I honestly believe that if Ange wants him, he'll be playing for us. I can't see us going after a big name marquee now - Pain will get first shot at replacing Rojas & Nabbout will be off the bench.

Considering Ange's distain for playing a recognised striker last year, I can't see him signing a true out and out striker

Perhaps another CB could be looked at??

Well it does seem that the goals we score are usually more tap ins and team based than out and out power and skill so it's a good chance we wont.

But Ansell and Leijer worked well together before the injuries set in. I'd love a dedicated right back personally.

Is Bru staying?

hasn't played a second of the pre-season.. will be off as soon as we can find a club for him

i said last year when we signed both Bru and Finkler that it was a bit of a risk signing them on 2 year deals, i guess ange and trimmers got 1 right but the other 1 was a total flop

Remove this Banner Ad

2012/13 Melbourne Victory Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back