2012 AFL Draft Combine - News and Invitees

Remove this Banner Ad

From what i've heard they won't be doing the 3km, but only the beep test.

Lowrie and Nelson did well in comparison to others in the group. They both got around high 12 from memory but it will be lower than national as they did the repeat sprints just before it where they didn't do that in the nationals.

I think they feel it is unfair on the guys who under perform to have it made public. Apparently the results have been leaked in the past though.

One issue is the different conditions and testing done between combine and state screening, and between different state screening days. The state screening in Melbourne had the skills testing (handballing and kicking)- which they had all been training for- cancelled the night before the testing day (ie after all the interstate players had arrived in preparation for the morning testing session) because the stadium was being set up for an ALeague game! And then repeat sprints were added on the day - something they weren't expected to do so hadn't trained for at all! Not ideal!

And according to a couple of boys who tested, the surface at Ethiad was apparently still quite slippery this year, at least in parts, which was probably more responsible for lower than expected beep test results for some than the heat which was blamed...

Lowrie and Nelson did well in comparison to others in the group. They both got around high 12 from memory but it will be lower than national as they did the repeat sprints just before it where they didn't do that in the nationals.
Can anyone tell me where I might access the WA state combine results?

As i said earlier, he scored 2.82 on the sprints, they didn't give the agility scores out in the same way and he did his hamstring during the repeat sprints in the 4th run so didn't do the beep test...
Thanks for the info mate. Was curious to see his shuttle run, but nevertheless. I still think if he falls to the third round he will be a steal.

Thanks for the info mate. Was curious to see his shuttle run, but nevertheless. I still think if he falls to the third round he will be a steal.
It will be interesting to see where he goes thats for sure... there were some terrible results as well which makes you shake your head wondering what the kids were doing since the off-season..

It will be interesting to see where he goes thats for sure... there were some terrible results as well which makes you shake your head wondering what the kids were doing since the off-season..

I heard Yarran ran an 8-something beep. Surely won't be picked up with that effort!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I'd hand out my own awards for this combine, based on three separate criteria. True, I base my conclusions on the scant info released by the AFL, so there is a limitation on my awards, and I exclude results from anyone over-age as I feel it is unfair to compare the 18 year olds with guys four to six years older. I don't think it would change my results anyway.

Power athlete of the combine:

Jesse Lonergan (no bias, I swear): 2nd in standing jump, 2nd agility, 3rd in vertical leap, 7th in repeat sprints, and 3.01 seconds for 20m sprint.

Endurance athlete of the combine:

Tom Clurey: 1st in beep test by a long way, 2nd in 3km time trial. (Honorable mention to Joshua Kelly)

Allround athlete of the combine:

Dominic Barry: 10th running vertical jump, 9th in repeat sprints, 9th in beep test, and 3rd in 3km time trial.

Hopefully Dom Barry turns out better than DoN Barry, Told a couple of mates who support Brisbane at school that we recruited Dom barry, they were laughing at me all day, thinking that we had taken DoN barry.

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 AFL Draft Combine - News and Invitees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back