2012 Dawes or 2011 Gunston.. Who was worth more?

Remove this Banner Ad

For those potting Gunston, he came into a settled Hawthorn side as a 20 y.o in Round 11 (he'd been sub a couple of times in the first couple of rounds).

From round 11, he kicked 37! goals (including at least 2 goals in every final).

That is on track for a 50+ eason as a 20 y.o. By comparion, Tom Hawkins who was All Australian (and in the system 6 years) kicked 38 goals in that time (and 0 in the finals).

Obviousy 2012 stats is not relevant to the thread topic (it's a poor comparosin anyway) but I wanted to address those who are clearly underselling Gunston in this thread.

Ones a premiership player
Would you either take Nathan Buckley as a player or Aaron Shattock?

Gunston is a far better player, He's shown he can excell as a second option, as a first option clubs who are either bottom 4 side or a premiership contender

I'm sorry I didn't know hale and roughy Wernt the 2nd option when they went fwd, if your here saying when buddy roughy and Gunston are in the fwd line, Gunston is the second option you really are delusional
So he's never ever been a first/second option in the forwardline at any point in the season? he played half a season and both played as a first option/second option and third option terrificly.

I'll give you a few examples of when Gunston played the first target inside 50 while Franklin was away

Against gold coast, Gunston played as the main inside 50 target while Hale took the brunt of the work and Roughead played a high CHF role while not rucking, Hale did the exact same thing playing more up the ground letting gunston play close to the inside 50, this might tell the story of why Hale/Roughead were both roughly on 25+ disposals, multiple inside 50's and hardly any goals, while Gunston had a few good marks and a bag of 4.

Against Geelong while Roughead/Hale were both used to stretch geelong Gunston was clearly the first man hawthorn midfielders as Gunston rarely ventured outside 50 to play a link up role as Roughead did,

Against Essendon while it's a moot point since Gunston Roughead Hale could of lined up against traffic cones and kicked a bag again go re-watch it and you'll see the same thing, Hale/Roughead playing the role of the high marking forward outside the 50 and Gunston rarely leaving the 50.

Where you can say Second option

Against Collingwood, While Gunston did play a lot more as the marking target down the flanks he split the times as being the at home forward between him/Hale/Roughead

Against Western Bulldogs split time between Roughead resting in 50 and Gunston, However when ROughead was out rucking for Hale Gunston was definatly number 1 target inside 50 while Hale was resting

Third Option

against Carlton, Franklin playing very high on the flanks Roughead playing deeper and Gunston playing as a foil,

He's played as a first/second/third option during his short career at hawthorn and kicked 3-4 goals being a main target, second or third option and managed a few bags of 4 goals, best return i think was 5 down at adelaide

Dawes two best returns is 4 goals twice, Once in a rout 2 years ago by a very weak eagles side in melbournes and another against port adelaide, Take Gunston who kicked 5 goals in a loss by 30 points against a Stronger Richmond outfit against adelaide. A rout against the Bulldogs, a very close game against Geelong.

Gunston has showed he can turn up against limited oppotunities and capitalise, Play as a first/second/third option and is able to preform against top teams

On the other hand Dawes has Shown he struggles for goals, played his best football with superior supply against weak opposition, is a lot less versitile, You could argue he's a stronger mark ect, however only taken more then 10 marks 4 times in his career being 3 years older and 2 more seasons and averages a whole 0.6% more marks a season.

Your not only wrong in your conclusion, Your blinded with rose coloured glasses. If i was a collingwood supporter i would be absolutly stoked you sold a very average KPP player for an elite players price tag

I'll give you a few examples of when Gunston played the first target inside 50 while Franklin was away

Against gold coast, Gunston played as the main inside 50 target while Hale took the brunt of the work and Roughead played a high CHF role while not rucking, Hale did the exact same thing playing more up the ground letting gunston play close to the inside 50, this might tell the story of why Hale/Roughead were both roughly on 25+ disposals, multiple inside 50's and hardly any goals, while Gunston had a few good marks and a bag of 4.
It could also be the story of Gunston being the 3rd target behind 2 KPF's.

Against Geelong while Roughead/Hale were both used to stretch geelong Gunston was clearly the first man hawthorn midfielders as Gunston rarely ventured outside 50 to play a link up role as Roughead did,
Once again, 3rd option.

Against Essendon while it's a moot point since Gunston Roughead Hale could of lined up against traffic cones and kicked a bag again go re-watch it and you'll see the same thing, Hale/Roughead playing the role of the high marking forward outside the 50 and Gunston rarely leaving the 50.
And again, 3rd option.

CBF quoting the rest of the post, tldr. By your logic Stephen Milne was the number 1 target for st kilda, same with Ballantyne for freo etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Dawes or 2011 Gunston.. Who was worth more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back