Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Footy smarts > Athletic ability
Quick mind > quick feet
Good decision maker > good kick
Composure > confidence player.
Work ethic > Natural talent

Tivendale was a beautiful kick but turned the ball over constantly because he made poor decisions, I.e. going for the difficult option to often. James Hird was an average kick who always hit his target because he made good decisions and just put the ball into the right space and had a far greater margin for error by not trying to drill passes through small gaps.

Give me the composed, hard working, quick thinking natural footballer with solid skills and natural leadership over the flighty, athlete with extraordinary skills and an iffy temperament everyday.

I would be stoked with Vlastuin.

What are people's thoughts on Corr? Very surprised by this rumour of us looking at him at 9. Saw somewhere that he had been compared to Michael Talia. A player like this developing would make our back line formidable in a couple of years and release Griffiths permanently to the forward line. Still at pick 9 he would want to be a gun considering that we could be overlooking a Grundy, Mayes, Macrea for him.

It was mentioned to me he had been interviewed three times a couple of weeks ago. Would suggest we have interest.

Corr is an interesting prospect. I like him, but don't see the point as we have a few in that position of KD/KF swing. There was talk around he could make a really big midfielder type.

I just don't see it for us.
I would be very surprised if we overlooked Vlastuin.

Good inside player from the limited bits I've seen of him. Has a good burst of speed and a good kick. Reminds a bit of Foley how he can burst away from a pack. Would be a good pick up in the 2nd round.

Very good but very unassuming goal kicking mid. Solid attitude and would be a good pick at 43 I think. Would add to our 2nd tier.

Where did you read/hear this RE: time trial?
HUN journo tweeted it this morning. Said there would be an article on the run in Sunday's paper.

Very good but very unassuming goal kicking mid. Solid attitude and would be a good pick at 43 I think. Would add to our 2nd tier.

HUN journo tweeted it this morning. Said there would be an article on the run in Sunday's paper.
It's also mentioned in the article on RFC site about Knights. Jackson was 2nd.

i remember last year the herald sun had a story that we were taking Shane Kersten with Pick 15, and he ended up going to Geelong at 34, the herald sun always takes wild guesses .. which turn out wrong

If this is true then then I have real doubts that our recruiting team has the ability to deliver the players necessary for us to win our 11th premiership. Indeed If they picked a Corr at 9 (a good pick at say 32) then the first thing the club should do is terminate the recruiting teams contracts and pay whatever they have to to get someone like Steve Wells from Geelong. I have real concerns about this. To much vanilla, to much lets just get the solid player and take no chance attitude. There doesnt seem to be any risk reward analysis if we continue to select this type of player. Having said all that Vlastuin isnt as bad as some are saying but if players like Grundy or Mayes are on the board and they dont get picked then its a disgrace.
This is what annoys me, posters suggest that we need to go out and pick high risk/high reward types, the problem with that is if we do and they fail then those same posters are invariably the ones who start complaining about how we should have taken the vanilla type safe option. Now I'm not accusing you of this Ramper so please don't think that is the case, just using that part of your post.

i remember last year the herald sun had a story that we were taking Shane Kersten with Pick 15, and he ended up going to Geelong at 34, the herald sun always takes wild guesses .. which turn out wrong
I think you misunderstood there. Quayle linked us to McGenniss. Toady was saying time trial results were from a HUN journo.

Did anyone notice Emma didn't list Vickery as a ruckman??o_O If that is the reflection of a forming consensus it is a worry!
In fairness, TV has had a good season as a second forward, but not shown a lot as a ruck. Knightmare has even suggested that Grundy is already more capable as a ruckman and it wouldn't surprise me if Grundy is the better overall player within a season or two on an AFL list - he'll be ready to play games next season. There's a few players i like for pick nine, including Vlastuin, but if Grundy is there, i really hope we take him and forget about Wood and co!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what annoys me, posters suggest that we need to go out and pick high risk/high reward types, the problem with that is if we do and they fail then those same posters are invariably the ones who start complaining about how we should have taken the vanilla type safe option. Now I'm not accusing you of this Ramper so please don't think that is the case, just using that part of your post.

Thats fair enough. I dont mind Vlastuin at 9 but after getting the likes of Conca and Ellis I hope we just go for someone with a little more class. I always been a fan of Grundy and Mayes in particular. I think the South Australians have a really good crop this year. Corr shouldnt be picked at 9 imho. Way too early.

Thats fair enough. I dont mind Vlastuin at 9 but after getting the likes of Conca and Ellis I hope we just go for someone with a little more class. I always been a fan of Grundy and Mayes in particular. I think the South Australians have a really good crop this year. Corr shouldnt be picked at 9 imho. Way too early.
Agree. I've got Corr in the 20's. Could see an expansion team grabbing him inside top 15 but not us. Don't think it will matter. If we want Vlastuin first we don't need a back-up plan IMO.

People's thoughts on Jackson Thurlow at 32?

Simply don't agree with this philosophy in these circumstances. Firstly, you can get the same midfield or even better getting Grundy and concentrating on mids and forwards predominantly for the next 4 years or whatever via draft or FA. If you wait till 5-6 years then I believe it unlikely you will get someone of Grundy' s ilk and form at that stage. Who ever is available of that quallity will be too expensive even if available on the market and you mature midfield will be busting your salary cap . On the other hand, the odds are high you will get other mid opportunities at least as good if not better than Vlastuin in the next 5 years surely. Unless Vlastuin is exceptional, the percentage is to get Grundy and then chase mids and forwards mainly etc... Most comentators do not seem to refer to Vlas as exceptional even at say a Bartel level so , for me , you have to go Grundy. Getting a Cox/Sandy via rookie is unlikely and you wouldn't bank on it or waste your time if you didn't have to, except for the odd low cost project

we'll have agree to disagree.
Everyone in the Grundy camp keeps talking about these dime a dozen mids that can be picked up down the track but havent addressed the fact that nearly all the ruckman on an AFL list right now are either rookies or later selections

I'm all for Vlastiun ahead of McCrae then Garner. IF all goes to plan next year this will be the earliest pick we have a for a while, so it's absolutely critical we get a decent player or two. Grundy, McCrae, and Garner could all end up being more regarded around the league but players like Swallow, Thompson, Bolton are just as valuable as more outside types.

There's a lot of risk in a player like McCrae, his game might not translate well to the big time much like Cale Morton's. Valstuin looks to be a low risk bet to be a solid to good contributor at minimum which is a good result especially considering the fail rate of draftees, even those taken in the top 10.

In this era of free agency, I think you will find that 17 yr old ruckman taken in the top 10 will be things of the past.

It is NOT playing the percentages, and that is why it is quite likely that Grundy will be avalaible, and that we will pass on him.

Why would you pay Pick 9, for a player that needs 3-4 years of development, when you can pay pick 37 for Maric, and have him come in the top3 of your Best and fairest in his first year? or better still get another ruckman at 25-26 yrs old for free in free agency.

While at the same time miss an opportunity to draft someone like Vlaustin, Mcrae, Mayes, that would slot in the best 22 from round 1, and keep players like Jackson out of the side, and hence improve the team immediately.

Its a very simple logic and rationale to follow, that the public will need to get used to.

If we draft a player that's an upgrade on Jackson and pushes him out I'll be more than happy.

Not with pick 9 though and not ahead of Grundy - who by the way, is a ruck/forward, not just a ruck.

Just to clarify - at pick 9, I would hope the likes of Vlastuin is more than merely an upgrade on Jackson or Tuck. Because if that's all he'd be - that's seriously paying overs.

You easily can get that kind of player with a second or even third rounder.

Why would you pay Pick 9, for a player that needs 3-4 years of development, when you can pay pick 37 for Maric, and have him come in the top3 of your Best and fairest in his first year? or better still get another ruckman at 25-26 yrs old for free in free agency.
While at the same time miss an opportunity to draft someone like Vlaustin, Mcrae, Mayes, that would slot in the best 22 from round 1, and keep players like Jackson out of the side, and hence improve the team immediately.

Although I agree with your logic, I think most in the Grundy camp are saying he won't need 3-4 years of development to start. He is right to go now. He is not a 200cm+ beanpole who needs 3-4 preseasons to get to a body size for AFL, and then start his gametime development for another 2-3 years. Most are like this I agree, and so age 24-25 they are right to go. Could he be competitive in games NEXT year...many say yes and therefore the top 10 ranking. Then also think what a player like NikNat will cost to get when he is 25-26 if he keeps improving like he is. Then there is the argument of FA picking up mids....Grigg et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back