Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Mayne Pavlich Fyfe

Ballantyne Houghton de Boer

Lock Pavlich into a forward role, roaming into the midfield. Gives us some structure, and makes the midfielders better at what they need to do when the get the ball.

Fyfe and Mayne should be legitimate marking targets for us, meaning that we are not welded to a simplistic kick-long-to-Pav type gameplan, and can also exploit any double-teaming that can happen.

We need a second tall with some class, and Houghton fits that better than other talls on our list, and if another pre-season gets him close to selection, I would slot him in ahead of Anthony, Johnson or Bradley who are the other potential contenders.

Ballantyne, Mayne and de Boer's defensive attributes are very important for that forward line. But the need to kick goals as well.

I don't see it as a match-winning forward line, more as a forward set up that can develop. But with the class of Pavlich, Fyfe and Ballantyne it will certainly make things happen in most games.

Look I am a big fan of Houghton, but for him to be successful (or in fact Zak Clarke or any other ruck/forward) we need another goal kicking crumber in addition to Ballantyne, preferably one that has an awesome kick on the turn alla Chapman/Des Headland style. I actually reckon this is our biggest weakness, and for all the Walters haters out there I am surer then ever we look a lot worse with him out of the main side. If he isn't training hard enough / putting in the effort then we need to go all out to find someone in this years draft who can. dare I say it we need someone cocky enough to think they can slot goals from anywhere, even if they are only above average.

You've got DeBoer as a defensive forward, Ballantyne goal sneak and pressure, Mayne pressure (needs to be able to take more marks), Pav leadership, experience and bigger man.
So there is 4. I wouldn't lock Fyfe in for a forward role because his ultimate position is wing.
I agree with the 'dangerous small forward' aspect. We have Walter's, been injured majority of the year, that could potentially be it. Another smokey is Bollenhagen. Been injured all year as well but won Perth's leading goal kicker playing just 11 games and looked dangerous in his 3 games last year for Freo. Mellington is more of a pressuring type player and plays more of a lead up style game compared to roving/crumbing.

Other players to throw in the forward line mix are:
Houghton
McPhee
Johnson
Clarke
Anthony

The thing with Walters is that he's the best kick we've ever had, bar none.

So ideally we'd get his tank up and he can play that high half forward role.
We need good ball users, who can work up the ground. Some of Sonny's best play last year was him taking a great mark or winning a contest on the wing then spearing a pass into a leading forward.

I agree with putting Fyfe deep in the forward line then have him switching into the middle like Steve Johnson but forward for most of the game he is more valuable to us there.

Its a pretty big call having Houghton as the CHF he hasnt even played a game for us yet so not sure if he is ready to take up the hardest position on the ground. Mellington and Bucovaz should be considered for forward roles next year as they both offer a strong contest and good forward pressure.

Most of all we need to find a decent goal kicking coach to teach Mayne, De Boer, Bucovaz, Mellington, Johnson, Mcphee and Ballantyne how to kick a set shot. Give old plugger Lockett a call and see what hes up to these days.

I agree with putting Fyfe deep in the forward line then have him switching into the middle like Steve Johnson but forward for most of the game he is more valuable to us there.

Its a pretty big call having Houghton as the CHF he hasnt even played a game for us yet so not sure if he is ready to take up the hardest position on the ground. Mellington and Bucovaz should be considered for forward roles next year as they both offer a strong contest and good forward pressure.

Most of all we need to find a decent goal kicking coach to teach Mayne, De Boer, Bucovaz, Mellington, Johnson, Mcphee and Ballantyne how to kick a set shot. Give old plugger Lockett a call and see what hes up to these days.

Yeah my forward line is upsdie down. I actually have as FF. And I am not saying he would play as a stay at home FF but would see him shuffling around with Mayne and Pavlich, and rotating with our rucks (Houghton rotating to the bench, not to the ruck. perhaps in a few years who knows). I would like it put to him over the off-season that we want him to step up to the best 22, and that he will be given the opportunity.

I am also not a massive fan of rucks as forwards. For sure resting there, creating mismatches etc, but not as the basis of the forward structure. I am a fan of Forwards who can give a chop out in the ruck.

Fyfe in the forward line.. what!? I think that's a total waste of a wonderful footballer. That will be detrimental to his footballing growth. Hasn't Harves said that he's being shoed in for a role in the centre? There's more to Nat Fyfe than his aerial ability.

Pavlich must start centre half forward every day. We have a dilapidated forward 50. How many times have we won it well out the middle, only to scrap it to space, or, to an opposing player? There's no screaming target. We need a trusted and tough player down there. Pavlich is the only primary candidate. He's 30 as well next year, isn't he? It'll be a positive for us if he plays in the forward line. He'll last longer, be more efficient, and give us some options. I think it's a real possibility though. Once Mora comes in, we'll have a strong centre.

I agree with the Walters call as well. I usually don't like his style of play, but I think we really need it. As good as Ballantyne can be, he slows down far too much. Has he ever championed a game in Melbourne? Sonny hasn't had too much of a chance. The kid has such self-belief. We need that. Another hassler and crumber is what Fremantle need. Walters loves having his hands on the footy - he'll never shy from thinking he's a chance. Remember round one against the Lions?

Fyfe in the forward line.. what!? I think that's a total waste of a wonderful footballer. That will be detrimental to his footballing growth. Hasn't Harves said that he's being shoed in for a role in the centre? There's more to Nat Fyfe than his aerial ability.

Pavlich must start centre half forward every day. We have a dilapidated forward 50. How many times have we won it well out the middle, only to scrap it to space, or, to an opposing player? There's no screaming target. We need a trusted and tough player down there. Pavlich is the only primary candidate. He's 30 as well next year, isn't he? It'll be a positive for us if he plays in the forward line. He'll last longer, be more efficient, and give us some options. I think it's a real possibility though. Once Mora comes in, we'll have a strong centre.

I agree with the Walters call as well. I usually don't like his style of play, but I think we really need it. As good as Ballantyne can be, he slows down far too much. Has he ever championed a game in Melbourne? Sonny hasn't had too much of a chance. The kid has such self-belief. We need that. Another hassler and crumber is what Fremantle need. Walters loves having his hands on the footy - he'll never shy from thinking he's a chance. Remember round one against the Lions?

You don't see Fyfe in the middle much, and I think if he was being groomed for that you would have. Wing alternate with HFF is his position.

Walters huge advantage is he can get the ball and kick a goal out of not much. He is however slow and has poor endurance - if the coaches don't think he can sort out these things then we should look for someone else.

I like the idea of Fyfe at half forward, maybe pressing up toward the middle occasionally. He is a great mark and also a great kick. The way he can hit targets by foot he can set up plenty of scoring opportunities.

I think you are reading the proposed selections too much as an old style football set-up. Of course Fyfe won't be a stay at home half forward, that rarely happens. But from that position he can interchange into the midfield rotations with ease.

What does "a role in the centre" mean? I guess you mean midfield, but the midfield blurs from the backline into the forward line. The purpose of getting him forward of centre is to capitalise on his marking ability and the problems of matching up on him. Simply, he will be more dangerous in that part of the ground.

Look I am a big fan of Houghton, but for him to be successful (or in fact Zak Clarke or any other ruck/forward) we need another goal kicking crumber in addition to Ballantyne, preferably one that has an awesome kick on the turn alla Chapman/Des Headland style. I actually reckon this is our biggest weakness, and for all the Walters haters out there I am surer then ever we look a lot worse with him out of the main side. If he isn't training hard enough / putting in the effort then we need to go all out to find someone in this years draft who can. dare I say it we need someone cocky enough to think they can slot goals from anywhere, even if they are only above average.

Definitely this.

We look incredibly pedestrian up forward when Ballantyne is up the ground, and the last thing I want is to limit his run. There are options in the draft when it comes to small crumbing forwards, but nobody matches the talent that we already have in Walters.

Also, it was mentioned about Houghton playing at FF not CHF. It's the opposite for me, I would keep him out of the goal square whenever possible. The more he can run, the better he will be.

Also, it was mentioned about Houghton playing at FF not CHF. It's the opposite for me, I would keep him out of the goal square whenever possible. The more he can run, the better he will be.

Yep fair enough. My keenness is to find the best 2nd tall forward that we can muster, and he is the man with the best chance. Happy for that to be as a twin CHF with Mayne at FF, or whatever structure can be conjured, but very keen to get some marking targets and structure up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Houghton is to play next year he must have a huge pre-season, will require more strength and upperbody size to compete.
Jack Watts still has trouble playing forward, and has more AFL games in the bag.

We definitely need a better structure. And unless you have some super talent, that means a strong body at full forward demanding the ball. If only we had one of those...

hf: Mayne - Houghton - DeBoer
ff: Ballantyne - Pavlich - Walters

I would play Walters too. Might go for Mellington before Deboer though. Toss up really.

FB: Ibbotson Silvagni Grover

HB: Mzungu McPharlin Suban

C: Fyfe Barlow Hill

HF: Ballantyne Pavlich Morabito

FF: Mayne Johnson/Bradley/Anthony/Houghton/M.Clarke Walters

R: Sandilands Mundy Broughton

Bench: Clarke Mcphee DeBoer
Sub: Mellington/Lower/Duffield etc.

With a fully fit midfield consisting of Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Broughton and Hill delivering to a HF of Ballantyne, Pavlich and Morabito i dont think we will have to worry about our FF line too much :thumbsu:

FB: Ibbotson Silvagni Grover

HB: Mzungu McPharlin Suban

C: Fyfe Barlow Hill

HF: Ballantyne Pavlich Morabito

FF: Mayne Johnson/Bradley/Anthony/Houghton/M.Clarke Walters

R: Sandilands Mundy Broughton

Bench: Clarke Mcphee DeBoer
Sub: Mellington/Lower/Duffield etc.

With a fully fit midfield consisting of Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Broughton and Hill delivering to a HF of Ballantyne, Pavlich and Morabito i dont think we will have to worry about our FF line too much :thumbsu:

If we don't worry about every position on the ground we will never win a Grand Final. Why would you have Walters crumbing at MJ's feet?

We definitely need a better structure. And unless you have some super talent, that means a strong body at full forward demanding the ball. If only we had one of those...

hf: Mayne - Houghton - DeBoer
ff: Ballantyne - Pavlich - Walters

I'd go for Mellington instead of De Boer. He's a more natural forward.

I'd also play Ballantyne on the HF line.

HF: Mayne - Houghton - Ballantyne
F: Mellington - Pavlich - Walters

Fyfe, Morabito, Clarke, Sandilands and Hill will be the main secondary options.

Agree with this. Mayne and Balla further away from the goals, able to work into the midfield. Mellington and Walters both closer to goal where they're more dangerous. Lots of pressure in the forward line with Mayne, Balla and Mello.

DeBoer is probably our best tagger (which is presumably why he isn't part of your forward line). He should go to whoever is the most dangerous opposition player. Would rather him shutting the best opposition player out of the game as we have less guys that can actually do this (I count 1... DeBoer)... we've got more options in the forward line.

For mine, Mellington and Bucovaz (please stay fit) to be the big improvers next year for forward births. Both have the mongrel about them that we lack in our forward line at the moment. Mayne and Ballantyne are not playing forward much (the last fortnight) and no one else is pressuring and locking the ball in without DePig there as well. Jack Anthony is a nancy boy that will turn out a complete waste, may leave the club after three years having played only a handful of games, I hope I am wrong but not looking good. I think Pitt will turn out a good player that may drift forward a bit but mainly on a wing. If we have a fully fit squad it would be nice to have Fyfe playing that roaming forward roll that Hird played so well.
What ever happens we need to draft a big gorilla with glue like hands, we have enough other forwards, when fit, to fill in around. Mayne and Bucovaz need to be 2nd and 3rd tall options in the forward line, not number one that attracts the biggest and best backman each week. I wish Sibosado had come good but sadly all the talent in the world but doesn't appear to have the drive to back it up. Sadly may be one we lose that may be spurred on to bigger things with a second chance, reminds me so much of Buddy Franklin. Needs that pep talk, like Brett Peake seems to of got recently to get him going. He may be more comfortable up in Beagle Bay though, I think that is where he is from. One from left field would be Morabito, has height and bulk to play forward, and may be a less taxing on him coming back from a knee than in the midfield. From memory he is the same height as Pavlich. Another forgotten man is one of my favs in Timmy Ruffles, he really looked good in the few games that he has played and has those natural forward instincts about him. A guy I work with goes to watch Perth every week and always raved on about Ruffles. Deserves to stay on the rookie list in my opinion, I pray those knees hold up for him.

My two bobs worth.

Definitely prefer this make up.

Mayne & Ballas to push into the middle and make their presence felt. Walter & Mellington to play the grunt & skill deep in the fwdline, these guys are yet to do their apprenticeship here so that's where they should stay for now.

Should wait n see who we delist n pick up in the trade n draft.
But if you go by what we have on our list now then this would be my foward line

HF: Fyfe Pavlich Mayne
FF: Ballantyne Anthony Walters.

EM: Bollenhagen Mcphee Mellington
Johnson Bradley Michie

Mayne has been disappointing as a forward.We have too many forwards who dont/cant kick goals.Deboer Mcphee Johnson Mayne etc

Its great to have players who can apply forward pressure but their major job is to kick goals surely.

Our forward line is our biggest weakness.Havey seems not to want to play Pav there .Without two good key forwards we will continue to struggle.I cant see anyone on our list who solves this weakness

Dont forget Roberts,good size,great skills and beautiful kick.
Perfect high,running half forward type.Club is working hard on his fitness problems and if they get it right he will be the big improver 012

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back