Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
From afl.com.au
http://www.afl.com.au/foxtel cup 2011/tabid/16969/default.aspx

2012 FOXTEL Cup fixture

Sat 31 March Morningside (Qld) Vs Launceston (TSL)
Metricon Stadium 11:05 EDT 11:00 – 13:00 EDT Gold Coast Vs Adelaide

Sat 7 April Port Adelaide (SANFL) Vs Subiaco (WAFL)
AAMI Stadium 11:05 EST 11:00 – 13:00 EST Adelaide Vs Bulldogs

Sat 14 April Werribee (VFL) Vs Burnie (TSL)
Etihad/Aurora (TBC)11:05 EST 11:00 – 13:00 EST Bulldogs Vs St Kilda

Sat 21 April Ainslie (ACT) Vs West Perth (WAFL)
Blacktown International Sports Park 11:05 EST 11:00 – 13:00 EST N/A

Sat 28 April Claremont (WAFL) Vs West Adelaide (SANFL) Patersons Stadium 14:05 EST 14:00 – 16:00 EST N/A

Sat 5 May Sydney Hills Eagles (NSW) Vs Mt Gravatt (Qld)
SCG 11:05 EST 11:00 – 13:00 EST Sydney Swans Vs Adelaide

Sat 12 May Williamstown (VFL) Vs South Adelaide (SANFL)
MCG 11:05 EST 11:00 – 13:00 EST Richmond Vs Sydney Swans

Sat 19 May NT Thunder (NT) Vs Port Melbourne (VFL)
TIO Stadium 11:05 EST 11:00 – 13:00 EST Bulldogs Vs Gold Coast

Note: N/A means not a curtain raiser to an AFL game

As you'll see, the Top SANFL clubs have piked on playing in the comp :thumbsdown:

how are teams picked for this comp?

Something like...

The top 3 VFL sides
The top 3 WAFL sides
The top 2 TSL sides
The top 2 Queensland sides
The top NSW side
The top ACT side
NT Thunder is an invite/state team
Plus 3 SANFL teams who accepted the invite

The top sides in the SANFL (for the 2nd year in a row) said no thanks.

Maybe they are afraid of getting a hiding from Port Melbourne (and being shown up for paying their players too much for what they are really worth)

Something like...

The top 3 VFL sides
The top 3 WAFL sides
The top 2 TSL sides
The top NSW side
The top ACT side

Maybe they are afraid of getting a hiding from Port Melbourne (and being shown up for paying their players too much for what they are really worth)

What a load of rubbish. West Adelaide lost by 19 points to Williamstown and finished 7th this year. Port lost by 17 points to Claremont by 17 points and finished 6th. Centrals have won 9 of the past 12 premierships and Woodville are a very good football team. I would tip both of these teams against any VFL or WAFL team.

What a load of rubbish. West Adelaide lost by 19 points to Williamstown and finished 7th this year. Port lost by 17 points to Claremont by 17 points and finished 6th. Centrals have won 9 of the past 12 premierships and Woodville are a very good football team. I would tip both of these teams against any VFL or WAFL team.
Easy to act tough but the fact remains your clubs ran scared.

I would top Port Melbourne to give any non AFL club a run for its money.

Something like...

The top 3 VFL sides
The top 3 WAFL sides
The top 2 TSL sides
The top NSW side
The top ACT side

Pretty sure NT Thunder made it because they won the NEAFL.

No side that whored itself out to an AFL club should be allowed to compete.

This competition should be about the best second tier club in Australia and AFL listed players should not be allowed to compete.

The competition is run by the AFL, so that's not going to happen.

Easy to act tough but the fact remains your clubs ran scared.

To suggest that the top teams pulled out of the comp because they are scared of losing to Port Melbourne is just crap. I have no doubt that our top teams would be right in the mix to win the whole thing. If West, Port or South can do it, then I am very happy to quote that post again.

They should not have pulled out the comp though. Its a terrible decision to pull out. Embrace the comp and show that you believe you are the best team in Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of rubbish. West Adelaide lost by 19 points to Williamstown and finished 7th this year. Port lost by 17 points to Claremont by 17 points and finished 6th.

Hang on a sec, in both games the winning team had big leads early before taking their foot off the pedal in junk time. Williamstown especially utterly destroyed West Adelaide. Obviously the top SANFL sides would probably perform better, but they'd be clear underdogs to beat the VFL sides.

I still don't buy the excuse that they're just focusing on the SANFL given how desperate they generally are to claim that they're the best league outside the AFL. When they actually get the chance to prove it they hide in the corner.

On the fixture, they've clearly scheduled it to try and avoid too many blowouts in the early rounds. Werribee will win by 20 goals unless they field their reserves, and West Perth should win by 10+ goals. Port Melbourne have a tricky game. Other than that, the 1st round games should be reasonably competitive. Wouldn't surprise to see all 3 SA sides bundled out in round 1. Port would be the best chance of winning.

Hang on a sec, in both games the winning team had big leads early before taking their foot off the pedal in junk time. Williamstown especially utterly destroyed West Adelaide. Obviously the top SANFL sides would probably perform better, but they'd be clear underdogs to beat the VFL sides.

I still don't buy the excuse that they're just focusing on the SANFL given how desperate they generally are to claim that they're the best league outside the AFL. When they actually get the chance to prove it they hide in the corner.

On the fixture, they've clearly scheduled it to try and avoid too many blowouts in the early rounds. Werribee will win by 20 goals unless they field their reserves, and West Perth should win by 10+ goals. Port Melbourne have a tricky game. Other than that, the 1st round games should be reasonably competitive. Wouldn't surprise to see all 3 SA sides bundled out in round 1. Port would be the best chance of winning.

I have never said that the teams should have pulled out. I think its a ridiculous decision to pull out of this comp. But to suggest that they pulled out because they are scared of losing to a good VFL team is just rediculous.

The PA v Claremont was much closer than you are suggesting. Port got within 7 points I think early in the last qtr. they could have easily stolen that game.

Why would an SANFL team be clear underdogs against a VFL team. The SANFL is the best run state comp by a mile.

If Woodville or Centrals decided to enter the comp, which they should have, I wouod back them to beat any team in this comp.

So why are the scared to play the VIc & WA teams?

But to suggest that they pulled out because they are scared of losing to a good VFL team is just rediculous.

What other reason could there be ?
It's not a big commitment to play one game and there's a lot to gain especially SA as it could say "look at us, our local league is the way to go" but no you let the series go to a WA/Victoria GF.

P.S. In GF Claremont had much more of the play for most of the game just couldn't put the scoreboard pressure on. One key positional player can make all the difference.

So why are the scared to play the Vic & WA teams?

What other reason could there be ?
It's not a big commitment to play one game and there's a lot to gain especially SA as it could say "look at us, our local league is the way to go" but no you let the series go to a WA/Victoria GF.

P.S. In GF Claremont had much more of the play for most of the game just couldn't put the scoreboard pressure on. One key positional player can make all the difference.

In no way am I in favour of them pulling out of the comp.

Here is Central Districts press release

``It just compromises the SANFL competition and your ability to be successful in our opinion,'' Grant said.

And Woodville's press release

The WWTFC would like to advise its members that it has today declined the SANFL’s invitation to compete in the 2012 Foxtel Cup competition.
Chairman Kurt Slaven said “The conditions that the AFL has set regarding entry into the Foxtel Cup competition have not fundamentally changed and on this basis, our position on our Club’s participation in the Foxtel Cup has not changed”.
“We appreciate the invitation, but we have declined it on the basis that it has the potential to compromise our ability to win the SANFL Premiership in 2012”.
“Our Club will remain open minded to the Foxtel Cup concept and any invitations we are in a position to receive in the future will be carefully considered”.

And finally Norwoods reasoning

Norwood football operations manager Mark Ross said his club would not benefit from subjecting its list to ``extra'' games during the season.
``We don't want it to jeopardise our chances of success in the SANFL competition next year,'' Ross said

All 3 have stated that they have pulled out becuase they believe it jeopardises their chance of winning the SANFL premiership. They lose there right to have 4 byes during the season, as the FOXTEL cup fixtures take place during there bye week in the SANFL.

This to me is a cop out. I agree with everyone above that they should play on the national stage, get some great exposure, get to play on the MCG (As South Adelaide will do) and play for the right to be the best team in Australia (outside the AFL).

The only thing I disagreed with in the posts above was that they pulled out because they were scared of losing to Port Melbourne. That is just wrong. All 3 teams were competitive against VFL and WAFL sides last year, and all 3 missed the finals. Centrals and Woodville were much better than those 3 teams this year, so a Centrals vs Port Melbourne game or a Woodville vs Williamstown match would have been a very tight contest. Unfortunately, we won't get to see this.

Great to see the mighty Panthers playing at the 'G. Might have to find an excuse to travel over for the weekend.

Williamstown won it last year and I liked the concept. It gives the second tier clubs and players some much needed exposure. Williamstown made the g/f in the VFL and they played all over the place in the Foxtel cup, they didn't have a bye all year. Didn't seem to hurt them.

The round 2 fixture will be a beauty if Williamstown and Port can win rd 1, they meet rd 2.

Williamstown won it last year and I liked the concept. It gives the second tier clubs and players some much needed exposure. Williamstown made the g/f in the VFL and they played all over the place in the Foxtel cup, they didn't have a bye all year. Didn't seem to hurt them.

The round 2 fixture will be a beauty if Williamstown and Port can win rd 1, they meet rd 2.

Must say (even as a Boroughs fan) it was a good effort by Williamstown to win the Foxtel Cup and make the VFL Grand Final.

Also, Williamstown rested some of their key players during the Foxtel Cup.

So really, Williamstown has proven, there are no excuses for those top SANFL clubs.

One word for them... WEAK

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Foxtel Cup Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back