2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

i am with u guys the bombers dont seem to pay out the big $$$ most of there boys are local kids, the others are guys that have been there for awhile with mansell jones and bradshaw the only new guys there and mansell works with the coach and he got the ac job and jones followed him pretty good mates and bradshaw was a target up there for years, i think they did the right thing by leaving tallangatta looking at where they are now. i know paul (coach) really well and them 3 boys are great at the club ( bradshaw gone now but if mail has it right could b back before the halfway mark of year) they have fitted in great and with dale lappin and the sims boys matt hill and if his brother andrew hill can stay injury free and jason gentile playing like last year these young boys could b a tester to a few teams... but my tip is dogs vs tigers, if barny had not of got to far ahead of them selfs in that last qrt against the hawks last year well they could of done anything and with the saints looking the same as last year and the hoppers even worse p cook could kick even more.. what was with like 24 against saints he could have 50 in 2 games

Good point. All solid - Page obviously the best in that lot. But, spread out over time and not clusters of five or six at their asking prices I reckon. :footy:

They were renowned for it back in their glory days of the late 90's early 2000's. Hasn't been as much coin thrown around for a long time which happens to coincide with the crackdown on illegal chop chop over the same period. Make of that what you will

They were renowned for it back in their glory days of the late 90's early 2000's. Hasn't been as much coin thrown around for a long time which happens to coincide with the crackdown on illegal chop chop over the same period. Make of that what you will

Didn't pay out anywhere near the money that Holbrook, Tallangatta and Yack did!! Mt Beauty / Tawonga (where all the chop chop was) had little to do with the club during these years (except for a couple of families) most of the boys were given jobs (KVE etc.), a few played due to family connections and then yes a couple on coin. I would suggest that Dederang pays the same amount for players now as back then, it’s just that money has completely stuffed country footy and now you need to pay big dollars for average footballers! Or bread them yourself which is clearly the path Dederang is going down.

Please read this Switch The Play and let me know what you think about the spelling, last time I looked this was a footy forum #polesmoker

Didn't pay out anywhere near the money that Holbrook, Tallangatta and Yack did!! Mt Beauty / Tawonga (where all the chop chop was) had little to do with the club during these years (except for a couple of families) most of the boys were given jobs (KVE etc.), a few played due to family connections and then yes a couple on coin. I would suggest that Dederang pays the same amount for players now as back then, it’s just that money has completely stuffed country footy and now you need to pay big dollars for average footballers! Or bread them yourself which is clearly the path Dederang is going down.

Please read this Switch The Play and let me know what you think about the spelling, last time I looked this was a footy forum #polesmoker
You are improving but still have a little way to go tiger.Even though your post is about "dough";I would hope the Dederang locals BREED their boys,not bread them!!!:D:D

You are improving but still have a little way to go tiger.Even though your post is about "dough";I would hope the Dederang locals BREED their boys,not bread them!!!:D:D

Good get #polesmoker I really must spend more time checking my posts? point taken I'll crawl back to the VAFA where the talk is based around football not spelling, enjoy everyone!! Go Ranga’s

Good get #polesmoker I really must spend more time checking my posts? point taken I'll crawl back to the VAFA where the talk is based around football not spelling, enjoy everyone!! Go Ranga’s

Maybe the lack of spend by the Rangas goes hand in hand with were they have finished lately, we all know you need to spend dollars to finish higher up the ladder.
Not sure how anyone could put Yack and Chiltern in the top five, sure they will improve but have to replace Mitta and Wahgunyah both who will be more than handy, Mitta have lost a few but Renyoldson is very handy and they have picked up a set of twins who will travel from Corowa that look like good players, not sure of ther names though, and Wahgunyah was in the top 2 sides for the majority of the year and Dodd is a gun so dont right them off either, as usual looks like an interesting year

Maybe the lack of spend by the Rangas goes hand in hand with were they have finished lately, we all know you need to spend dollars to finish higher up the ladder.
Not sure how anyone could put Yack and Chiltern in the top five, sure they will improve but have to replace Mitta and Wahgunyah both who will be more than handy, Mitta have lost a few but Renyoldson is very handy and they have picked up a set of twins who will travel from Corowa that look like good players, not sure of ther names though, and Wahgunyah was in the top 2 sides for the majority of the year and Dodd is a gun so dont right them off either, as usual looks like an interesting year

Are the set of twins the Turnbull's? If so they played up there last year along with their two other brothers. Probably played a part in getting Reynoldson to Mitta as he is mates with them and he had been training with Mitta when he was playing with Mansfield

You dont have to spend to finish higher up the Ladder. Look at last year Thurgoona apparently spent $120 k to finish second . I heard Kiewa spent just over $ 50 k.

I would suggest that the clubs that pull their heads in over the next five years and invest in facilities and creature comforts for locals, players and families will do far better in the long run as a club - and that is what it is all about - a place to gather that has some moral integrity. I played in a flag in a suburban league some years ago - no links left, soulless place all based on what players could squeeze out of the committee. Then played at a bush club -moved with work - where it was based on things other than money - sure we were paid something - won a flag but the best thing now is the fact that I can go back with a clear conscience and not feel like the proverbial rat or mercenary. Comments?:)

I would suggest that the clubs that pull their heads in over the next five years and invest in facilities and creature comforts for locals, players and families will do far better in the long run as a club - and that is what it is all about - a place to gather that has some moral integrity. I played in a flag in a suburban league some years ago - no links left, soulless place all based on what players could squeeze out of the committee. Then played at a bush club -moved with work - where it was based on things other than money - sure we were paid something - won a flag but the best thing now is the fact that I can go back with a clear conscience and not feel like the proverbial rat or mercenary. Comments?:)

On the money here jm I am sure Dederang is close to starting ther new netball courts and change rooms they have some good plans for updating the footy rooms as well they are a bit different from other clubs having to work in with the Race, and Golf clubs but are commited to providing good facilities for the local community. I understand we all want to win flags but they shouldnt come at the cost of everything else in the community it looks like they are on the right track though and success shouldnt be far away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone have any idea as to why the league decided to have round 1 the week before easter??? seems to me they are oblivious to the fact that Provincial and district cricket finals will be held on the same day!!! I would have thought all cricket would have been finished the week before easter(which it will), and football to start the week of easter or after?? if soo a few names may have to choose what to play...(tom stead-lavi/thur,M.Martin barn-chil/chil) though there may not be many more it still seems to be an issue that could have easily been avoided!!:confused:

We all know you won the flag, no need to skite.

:footy::footy:
Keiwa have always had a good mix in recent years that I know of and have had good juniors coming up and strong connection in town too, where Thurgoona was just like Saints not so long ago and must be hell bent on success after all these years, but with what they are doing around the club alot of effort going on and off the field and I'm sure the will stay a strong proud club even if they do spend big in the future years, Beechworth won a flag too a few years ago with bugger all $$$ spent:footy::footy::footy:

Keiwa have always had a good mix in recent years that I know of and have had good juniors coming up and strong connection in town too, where Thurgoona was just like Saints not so long ago and must be hell bent on success after all these years, but with what they are doing around the club alot of effort going on and off the field and I'm sure the will stay a strong proud club even if they do spend big in the future years, Beechworth won a flag too a few years ago with bugger all $$$ spent:footy::footy::footy:
So true. That Beechworth flag should be used as a blueprint. Local with a few others and bargain basement cheap. Great off fiel:thumbsu:d folk and support crew.

Does anyone have a practise match this weekend, the pre-season comp starts this monday time to start getting excited lads.
I don't think anyone has shown their full hand yet bar maybe Thurgoona, this could be one of the most open years with everyone expecting to improve :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Does anyone have a practise match this weekend, the pre-season comp starts this monday time to start getting excited lads.
I don't think anyone has shown their full hand yet bar maybe Thurgoona, this could be one of the most open years with everyone expecting to improve :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Chiltern V Nth Wang at North Wang on Saturday, early start by these clubs with still 5 weeks until the first round, Massive expectation down the Highway at Chiltern they are talking top 5 certainly and maybe top 3, as i have said earlier on they will improve but not enough to make the 5

If you look at today's clearances I think you could say Kiewa have shown their hand. So have Chiltern. Agree it will be an even year and I'm looking forward to the season.

Kiewa will be the team to beat!! I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about them..after all they did win the flag!! i noticed they haven't put the departures though!! scott bartel headed to lavi with j.wolf to follow!! A couple of blokes to retire ive been told too!! also not sure about Josh Bartels commitments??? I heard he was pursuing his punting career!!
Also word has saints it will struggle to field a 2nds team and 4ths team! Tallangatta to follow them to be the percentage boosters for teams in the comp!! and after looking at beechworths departures they may not be too far away either!!

Kiewa will be the team to beat!! I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about them..after all they did win the flag!! i noticed they haven't put the departures though!! scott bartel headed to lavi with j.wolf to follow!! A couple of blokes to retire ive been told too!! also not sure about Josh Bartels commitments??? I heard he was pursuing his punting career!!
Also word has saints it will struggle to field a 2nds team and 4ths team! Tallangatta to follow them to be the percentage boosters for teams in the comp!! and after looking at beechworths departures they may not be too far away either!!

:footy::footy::footy:
Send Wodonga saints back to Bethanga and than Bethanga and Tallangatta could join the Upper Murray fl, 16 a side up there so both clubs could go close to feilding two sides and being competitive, Its not good for the rest of the clubs in the league to keep these two clubs in this league.
:footy::footy::confused:

:footy::footy::footy:
Send Wodonga saints back to Bethanga and than Bethanga and Tallangatta could join the Upper Murray fl, 16 a side up there so both clubs could go close to feilding two sides and being competitive, Its not good for the rest of the clubs in the league to keep these two clubs in this league.
:footy::footy::confused:

Tallangatta won the flag 3 years ago .. And are rebuilding towards another one and with the soon to be announced club room upgrade I think it won't be too long till they will be back up there ..to put them in the same bracket as the saints is ridiculous

Chiltern V Nth Wang at North Wang on Saturday, early start by these clubs with still 5 weeks until the first round, Massive expectation down the Highway at Chiltern they are talking top 5 certainly and maybe top 3, as i have said earlier on they will improve but not enough to make the 5

DJ you seem to know a fair bit about the swannies, how do their recruits look on the track, i see they have 12 new players on the clearances list, not too many gone. i dont think anyone at chiltern will be talking top 3, but finals would be a start with their signings to date. good on em for having a crack, no reason they cant improve quickly.

talking to a couple of blokes from that way im not sure they have shown their full hand yet either.......

looking forward to seeing how they fair against barny in round 1 who would be fancied top 3 contenters. will the tigers footballers play C grade cricket finals or field a full side?

Tallangatta won the flag 3 years ago .. And are rebuilding towards another one and with the soon to be announced club room upgrade I think it won't be too long till they will be back up there ..to put them in the same bracket as the saints is ridiculous

Besides Joss buying Tallangatta a flag 3 years ago the club aint done much before that and it was Tallangatta that Wodonga Saints beat last year for their first win in 3years, not much difference between these clubs and with plenty more players leaving they are in for darker days ahead..
:confused::eek::thumbsdown:

I dont think im too keen on just ousting two clubs from the league!! i think saints just need a clean out from the top down and rebuild their reputation!! They are a wodonga based club with great facilities and yet they are struggling to field a competitive football team???
i agree with you Blues2012, everyone knows the money joss put into tallangatta, and with the departures since they won the flag and getting beaten by the saints last year where exactly are they headed??

Whats the go with barny footy club ??? do they have a cricket team? You would think football would prevail...

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back