2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the problem at Beechworth. Ex Coach involved at another club.Ex players training with the same club. Is it the Coach?
Saints back to Bethanga - you have to be kidding - there's nothing and nobody there. Not to mention lack of facilities and the drive in and back. No-one in Bethanga and Bellbridge is interested in a cash sucking beast like a footy club anyway! Essentially no footballing population!
What they should have done was let it die a natural death and display the history of the Saints in the local pub?? Hindsight is a great thing - but they should have then formed a Baranduda club some years later with no baggage, new ground, rooms. new ideas, colors etc...10/20 years later they then do what Wodonga Demons did, because I'll tell you in that time frame Leneva etc will be enormous. Drive past/google Strathfieldsaye FC in Bendigo and see what I mean - and they didn't have the advantage of forming into a minor league first. The Saints are just a nuisance, I would suggest, to all around "the kennel" at Wodonga not to mention council etc...:spade::thumbsdown:

Whats the problem at Beechworth. Ex Coach involved at another club.Ex players training with the same club. Is it the Coach?

Don't think its the coach. If you have a closer look most of the players departing are heading to a higher standard of football. The tall marshmallow is heading to King Valley on ridiculous $$$. Ex-coach lives in Chiltern and his partner is playing there so it makes sense now he's retired. Not sure who the ex-players are that are training there b/c Beechy training looks good from all reports. They will slide a bit but won't be down with the hoppers and saints.

DJ you seem to know a fair bit about the swannies, how do their recruits look on the track, i see they have 12 new players on the clearances list, not too many gone. i dont think anyone at chiltern will be talking top 3, but finals would be a start with their signings to date. good on em for having a crack, no reason they cant improve quickly.

talking to a couple of blokes from that way im not sure they have shown their full hand yet either.......

looking forward to seeing how they fair against barny in round 1 who would be fancied top 3 contenters. will the tigers footballers play C grade cricket finals or field a full side?

oft i havea soft spot for the swannies played down there a few years ago, they are looking ok another tall might help as colman is a beanpole but played a lot of his footy for albury 2s on the wing as he wasnt to keen on the contact at centre bounces, hopefully he will continue to improve in this area didint see the game on the weekend but heard they were pretty sharp

Have they picked up any defenders?? The clearance website says john phibbs is leaving, any truth to that? Hes a handy defender!!
also everyone seems to be on thurgoonas back about spending money to win a flag... what about wahgunyah?? after all the cash troubles i heard going on there(between 30-40 grand went missing), dunno how that sort off money just goes missing lol and after paying pierri 30 grand i cant imagine how much they spent but never the less both clubs obvously have..
A: good committees with good sponsorship campaigns that the club thrives on..
or B: Locals putting alot of dough into the club to be successful

Doesnt really matter how they get the money i suppose if you have it spend it, your trying to win a premiership after all!!

:footy::footy:
Besides Joss buying Tallangatta a flag 3 years ago the club aint done much before that and it was Tallangatta that Wodonga Saints beat last year for their first win in 3years, not much difference between these clubs and with plenty more players leaving they are in for darker days ahead..
:confused::eek::thumbsdown:

What a bloody disgraceful comment.

The Tallangatta Football Club is one of the founding clubs of the TDFL. For you to suggest they get kicked out of the league shows your lack of intelligence and regard for a proud club and league.

As anyone involved behind the scenes in a footy club would know, it's tough to get players to travel to play country football. When Tallangatta won their flag they had 4 or 5 local kids playing, and that's a massive percentage in this day and age. You need to be lucky to hopefully get a few kids out of your under 17s, a couple of top players from Albury/Wodonga to come out, perhaps bring a couple of mates, maybe also get a couple of ex-locals to spread the word in town and hope that someone who works with someone wants to play footy in Tallangatta.

Bullioh Footy Club reforming took a lot of players and money out of Tallangatta FC, and whilst many of them may be seconds players in the TDFL, they still have a few that would be TDFL senior players.

Money rules country football. Don't worry about that. Every club is handing over more money than they'd like to, but if they don't they end up on the bottom of the ladder year after year.

So pull your head in.

Have they picked up any defenders?? The clearance website says john phibbs is leaving, any truth to that? Hes a handy defender!!
also everyone seems to be on thurgoonas back about spending money to win a flag... what about wahgunyah?? after all the cash troubles i heard going on there(between 30-40 grand went missing), dunno how that sort off money just goes missing lol and after paying pierri 30 grand i cant imagine how much they spent but never the less both clubs obvously have..
A: good committees with good sponsorship campaigns that the club thrives on..
or B: Locals putting alot of dough into the club to be successful

Doesnt really matter how they get the money i suppose if you have it spend it, your trying to win a premiership after all!!

John Phibbs a good defender? Are you kidding yourself?! Good defenders don't give away stupid free-kicks and thats all this kid does!As for Thurgoona/Wahgunyah spending money they both would have spent $80k plus, you can't dish that sort of money around for too long!

What a bloody disgraceful comment.

The Tallangatta Football Club is one of the founding clubs of the TDFL. For you to suggest they get kicked out of the league shows your lack of intelligence and regard for a proud club and league.

As anyone involved behind the scenes in a footy club would know, it's tough to get players to travel to play country football. When Tallangatta won their flag they had 4 or 5 local kids playing, and that's a massive percentage in this day and age. You need to be lucky to hopefully get a few kids out of your under 17s, a couple of top players from Albury/Wodonga to come out, perhaps bring a couple of mates, maybe also get a couple of ex-locals to spread the word in town and hope that someone who works with someone wants to play footy in Tallangatta.

Bullioh Footy Club reforming took a lot of players and money out of Tallangatta FC, and whilst many of them may be seconds players in the TDFL, they still have a few that would be TDFL senior players.

Money rules country football. Don't worry about that. Every club is handing over more money than they'd like to, but if they don't they end up on the bottom of the ladder year after year.

So pull your head in.

No one said anything about kicking anyone out of a League? I suggested Tallangatta join UMFL , but like always when somebody puts something on this site someone else knows better and get their knickers in a knott.
Lots of clubs have merged,folded or joined in other leagues in recent years, Its not a total lack of intelligence from my respect, I just think I would rather see these sorts of clubs step back into a neighbouring league(even if only for a period of time ) that probably needs a few more clubs to strengthen the competition too.

I think both clubs would be in good locations as to where abouts the towns are if they were join UMFL.

I've been around long enough and know to well what goes in and around football clubs to make them run and unfortunately it does take lots of $$$$$$.
:footy::footy::footy:

No one said anything about kicking anyone out of a League? I suggested Tallangatta join UMFL , but like always when somebody puts something on this site someone else knows better and get their knickers in a knott.
Lots of clubs have merged,folded or joined in other leagues in recent years, Its not a total lack of intelligence from my respect, I just think I would rather see these sorts of clubs step back into a neighbouring league(even if only for a period of time ) that probably needs a few more clubs to strengthen the competition too.:footy::footy::footy:
Sounds like your talking about a merged 2 tier comp between Tallangatta and Upper Murray leagues based on performance Bluey?:confused::confused::confused: No way known would Tallangatta and Wodonga Saints actively seek a transfer to the Upper Murray unless they were forced.

Sounds like your talking about a merged 2 tier comp between Tallangatta and Upper Murray leagues based on performance Bluey?:confused::confused::confused: No way known would Tallangatta and Wodonga Saints actively seek a transfer to the Upper Murray unless they were forced.

Not a chance these clubs will leave the league to persue success in a lower comp, my oponion on both clubs is;
Saints - Woodsy and his crew have worked to hard to go backwards now, look out for the saints in later part of this decade, i beleive they will have sustained success in the mid to long term because of their wodonga base for sponsorhsip and players. biggest hurdle is getting people to stop rubbishing them (although they would agree they deserve some of it) and let them rebuild their club. they are weeding out the idiots.

T'gatta - proud club, still plenty of passionate people out that way and they wont be down for long. always good to play against and to have a beer with after a game.

All clubs could find themselves struggling at some point, the aim is to limit the length of the struggles as it gets tougher to recruit, and unfortunately you need more money to get players to a struggling club than a thriving one.

good luck to both these clubs, i hope they suprise a few teams this year.

i think a few on here are either in their teens or have very short memories. There are a number of clubs at the top of this competition who not or that long ago where in a similar situation to the saints and hoppers. It takes a few stong minded and willed people who have the desire and patience to rebuild from the ground up and are prepared to take a couple of short term hits for a long term gain.

I can guarantee you anyone that the saints or hoppers recruit in the next couple of years a highly unlikely to play in their next premiership. What they will do is help the guys working behind the scenes change perceptions of their club. This will allow them to recruit the bigger named players/ sponsors etc...

If done right there is no reson for these clubs to go back. I think a few may want to stop shit canning these clubs as i am sure within the next few years you will be made to eat your words.

Good luck to the boys behind the scenes at the saints and hoppers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have only got to one session over the pre season but Dederang are looking ok. The coach has them working pretty hard and sends the boys a clear message. Bradshaw is a loss but if Williams & Mansell can stay on the park they will challenge some good sides. The Simms boys are beauty's from all reports so expect to see them in the best regulary. We have been lucky to hold on to our good kids that were given opportunities over the past couple of years so hopefully we get some improvement there too. Beau Packers arse will be an obstacle for some sides too ;).

Is it too early for some predictions:
Top 5:
Premier:
Wooden Spooner:
Biggest Slider:
Biggest Improver:
Barton Medallist:
Leading Goalkicker:
Recruit of the Year:
Headline you will not see:

Premier:dogs
Wooden Spooner:hoppers
Biggest Slider:lions and bushies
Biggest Improver:chiltern (key forward would help) and dederang (key backman would help) both pushing for the finals
Barton Medallist: having a mental blank but chilterns coach
Leading Goalkicker: p cook.. over 100 again
Recruit of the Year:chilterns coach. sorry cant think of his name
Headline you will not see: dogs go underfeated but lose granny

Top 5:
Premier:
Wooden Spooner:
Biggest Slider:
Biggest Improver:
Barton Medallist:
Leading Goalkicker:
Recruit of the Year:

Top 5:
Premier:
Wooden Spooner:
Biggest Slider:
Biggest Improver:
Barton Medallist:
Leading Goalkicker:
Recruit of the Year:

Premier:Barny
Wooden spoon:Tallangatta
Biggest Improver: Chiltern
Biggest Slider: beechy
Barton Medal: Jason Bartel
Leading goalkicker: Tony Pierri
Recruit of the year: Durbridge and Dodd
Headline you wont see: Rutherglen playing in September

Top 5:
Premier:
Wooden Spooner:
Biggest Slider:
Biggest Improver:
Barton Medallist:
Leading Goalkicker:
Recruit of the Year:

Premier: Barny
Wooden spoon: Wodonga Saints
Biggest slider: Rutgherglen
Biggest Improver: Chiltern
Barton Medaliiist: 3 way tie Dodd, Cook,Reynoldson
Leading goal kicker: Cook 95
Recruit of the year: Dodd
Headline you will not see: Tallangatta draw with Saints in a shoot out

Premier: Kiewa
Wooden Spoon: Tallangatta
Biggest Slider; Rutherglen
Biggest Improver: Saints
B/F B Durbridge
Leading Goal Kicker: T Stead
Recruit of the year: Dale Lappin
Headline you wont see: Ken Barnes And Ross Williams Dead heat In Grand Final sprint at
Wodonga Raiders Oval.

Premier: Thurgoona
Wooden Spoon: Tallangatta
Biggest Slider: Mitta
Biggest Improver: Barny
B/F Way (new thurgoona ruck if he plays)
Leading Goal Kicker: undecided
Recruit of the year: same as league b/f
Headline you wont see: TDFL move grand final to Albury/Wodonga

Top 5:
Premier:
Wooden Spooner:
Biggest Slider:
Biggest Improver:
Barton Medallist:
Leading Goalkicker:
Recruit of the Year:

Top 5: Barnawartha, Kiewa, Thurgoona, Mitta, Chiltern
Premier:Barnawartha
Wooden Spooner:Wodonga Saints
Biggest Slider:Wahgunyah
Biggest Improver:Barny/Chiltern
Barton Medallist:Brian Durbridge
Leading Goalkicker:peter Cook, 120
Recruit of the Year:Brian Durbridge
Headline you willnot see:Yack locals excited about new recruits

There was a bit if hype early for Barny and they are still getting good numbers to training, but have any signed?

Nothing in the clearances for them so just wondering what people are basing the top of the ladder prediction on?

They will improve, but I would think they need some talls and 1 or 2 more qaulity midfielders to be a force :confused:

A bit of shameless self promotion here, even if it is off topic!

If you're a Sydney Swans or North Melbourne supporter disappointed that there is no coverage of the NAB Cup game in Sydney tomorrow night, here's some good news. The match will be broadcast live and exclusive on Alive FM 90.5 from 6.45pm to 9.45pm. Myself (Brendan Rhodes) and John Kehoe (thanks to MMM Sydney) will bring you the action. You should be able to pick up the stream at alive905.com.au, while the station has an iphone app, and the TuneIn Radio app can be used to pick it up on android phones.

The rider is it will be wet, and the commentary position is likely to be not far above ground level, but we'll still give you 120%.

Does anyone know about any practice matches that clubs are playing? The night comp starts next week so we will get a look at Mitta, Kiewa, Dederang, Barny, Beechy, Saints but what about games some of the other clubs are playing?

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back