D2 2013 Div2, the thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my fellow VAFA Division Two scribes,

I am a long time reader, first time poster in the Big Footy threads.
Unaccustomed as I am to the written word, I will do my best to present an honest, fair and above all coherent opinion at all times.
As my moniker suggests, my heart does lie with the boys in the Maroon and Gold.
My car may have been seen idling at East Caufield Reserve for the last few Thursday nights while the 'Gryphs' have trained.
Whilst many of the players have impressed thus far, question marks still remain as to just how well they will compete this year.
I anticpate the season with the optimism any true supporter should carry.

Tradies and Gentlemen,

Emile turned up to the Kevin Bartlett Reserve today to watch South Melbourne take on Richmond Central. The Division 3 team looked far stronger, tearing the higher placed side a new one. Big concerns for the Bloods as they look forward to the 2013 season. I refuse to use the 'R' word at this time of the year, but they will need to bring much more intensity to Round 1 than they showed today.

Yours in football,
Emile Heskey

Is there anyone in this chat that is not from monash? Sick of hearing about them. They finished out of the finals last year, never looked like making them to be honest so who gives a stuff about the club.

Sorry gents, rant over. Onto some more serious business. I am hearing rumors from out east that Yarra Valley have been getting monster numbers to training all pre-season and are rearing for a crack at D2 this year, with some saying they might repeat PA's efforts from last year and jump to 2 grades in consecutive years. Look forward to seeing their progress.

P.S. I have snuck down to a couple of Parade training sessions recently and my god Boundy is looking in as good a nick as ever. Hopefully touches up monash in round 1.

Tradies and Gentlemen,

Emile turned up to the Kevin Bartlett Reserve today to watch South Melbourne take on Richmond Central. The Division 3 team looked far stronger, tearing the higher placed side a new one. Big concerns for the Bloods as they look forward to the 2013 season. I refuse to use the 'R' word at this time of the year, but they will need to bring much more intensity to Round 1 than they showed today.

Yours in football,
Emile Heskey

Don't underestimate the strength of RC this season, I find it interesting comparing clubs in similar divisions. Is there much difference between your midtable teams to that of a strong team in the below division? Don't write off South Melbourne just yet, they have some good players and almost ran over the top of us in the 3rd quarter.

Don't underestimate the strength of RC this season, I find it interesting comparing clubs in similar divisions. Is there much difference between your midtable teams to that of a strong team in the below division? Don't write off South Melbourne just yet, they have some good players and almost ran over the top of us in the 3rd quarter.

I too went down to KB reserve to represent St Johns and if what South Melbourne dished up is what is to be expected in div 2 this season we will be straight back up. They were woeful. Richmond barring a huge bloke at full forward weren't much chop, will probably sit middle table I'd imagine. Too many weak links. The backline was awful bar the red headed balding bloke they looked like a ressies backline. Whoever the one they call Sharpy should retire from the game.

How excited is everyone for this Saturday?

I too went down to KB reserve to represent St Johns and if what South Melbourne dished up is what is to be expected in div 2 this season we will be straight back up. They were woeful. Richmond barring a huge bloke at full forward weren't much chop, will probably sit middle table I'd imagine. Too many weak links. The backline was awful bar the red headed balding bloke they looked like a ressies backline. Whoever the one they call Sharpy should retire from the game.

How excited is everyone for this Saturday?
Be careful making these types of comments based on a pre-season match, they are rarely a gospel indicator of what to expect from a team during the year. South Melbourne no doubt had their eyes on round 1 and RC saw the opportunity to take a scalp from a higher divvy.

Having said that they visit the Turtledome in round 1 which I would argue is one of the toughest tasks in Div 2.

My tips for round 1:
Yarra Valley over the animals (40+ points)
Turtles over SMD by 20
SMS to defeat st Johns (not sure about this one, so i'll say it'll be close)
OP to beath Monash by 25 points
Therry over Ivanhoe 12 points

A week is a long time in football, but it's even longer when you're waiting for the year to commence.
To help me through what will be an almost unbearable countdown, is anyone willing to put their reputation on the line and pick a final 10?

My ladder reads as follows:

1. ELTHAM
2. ST. JOHN'S
3. YARRA VALLEY
4. PARADIANS
5. Monash Gryphons
6. Therry Penola
7. Ivanhoe
8. St. Mary's
9. St. Leo's
10. South Melbourne
Of course this does not account for upsets in the finals. The teams in bold are my premiership fancies, with any of them capable of taking out the Grand Final. Hopefully my ladder satisfies Rain On My Paradians, as I've tried to try out my subjective side.

C'MON ROUND 1. GO THE GRYPHONS!!!!

Logged on to expect pages and pages of light-hearted banter, but surely two pages of not much is lower than most grades in the VAFA. Anyway, we're here now, so let's fire up !

It's going to be a raffle at OPs in 2013. The early signs haven't been that encouraging i have to say. The numbers at training have only started to get back to a decent level, meaning that those stragglers won't have the type of conditioning needed. Chips is running over the ground pretty well though ;-) We've lost a ton of experience and a few players to other clubs. We will tough it out though, and after seeing what Therry have to offer, we know where the level is. They were VERY impressive.

We haven't been able to get onto the Garvey yet, but luckily we've had another ground to train on. The Garvey is looking an absolute treat though. It will be the envy of any ground in D2.

As for a ladder, I'll have a go here:

Top Four
Therry
Yarra
Eltham
Ivanhoe

<in any order. Hard to split it>
OPs
St Marys
Monash
St Johns

Bottom two
South
St Leos

Round one. And isn't this a toss up
Yarra to comfortably account for St Leos
Eltham to get some percentage over South
SMS over St Johns, only because it's played at the Glen Iris halfcourt
OPs narrowly over Monash (because I don't want to get into a betting scandal tipping against my own team)
Therry by a point over Ivanhoe, but could go the other way too.

My Prediction:

Top two:
Therry Panola (wouldn't have them up here but clearances, plus a 100 point smashing of Parade suggests they may be the team to beat)
Turtles (will not loose at home)

Fighting for 3rd and 4th:
Yarra Valley (would have them certain top two, but losing to La Trobe on the weekend has them fighting for a spot IMO)
OP (thanks for the update Chips, maybe they miss out on the 4 this year then)
Monash (who knows... will cause upsets and then be upset...)
St Johns (looks like they have had a few premiership players return)

Fighting for Survival:
Ivanhoe (May surprise me)
SMS (likely to be safe, but not quite challenging for finals... yet)
SMD (a lot of clearance through, but a 5 goal loss to Richmond central suggests none of them are big ticket items)
St Leo's (should have been relegated in 2012, will be relegated in 2013)

Welcome Chips and Garvey, looking forward to a great season filled with light hearted banter!

I was reading last years forum and David Boundy seems to be mentioned every second post. Is he playing again this year? Secondly you have put Ivanhoe quite high up in your predictions why have you done this? Any mail you can share with the forum. I've always thought if you stop ash close which isn't too hard given these days you stop Ivanhoe.

Welcome Chips and Garvey, looking forward to a great season filled with light hearted banter!

I was reading last years forum and David Boundy seems to be mentioned every second post. Is he playing again this year? Secondly you have put Ivanhoe quite high up in your predictions why have you done this? Any mail you can share with the forum. I've always thought if you stop ash close which isn't too hard given these days you stop Ivanhoe.
Not he'd enjoy that type of yap about himself CC, but yes, he's playing and coaching again. i may have been a bit harsh about our lead up too. If we don't start the season well, it definitely won't be from the coaches lack of planning, leadership or preparation. He is first class. Having a VAFA Rep captain, and ex-VFL vice-captain running around for your club is going to attract a lot of attention, plus a big game performer. There are others here at the OPs that deserve some column inches too.

As for Ivanhoe. Maybe Ash Close falls into the David Boundy category. The best known player, so the only one spoken about. Don't forget Paul Harris who won the comp B&F last year. Must be at least a bit handy. ;)

I also noticed this when doing a look through the clearances this year, there are about 20 players who have been cleared from Ivanhoe to St Leo's? Can anyone clear up whats going on there?

Very exciting times coming into Round 1, teams putting their final touches on preparations and finally this board has posters (like myself) coming out of summer hibernation. Practice matches are just that, practice matches, and South Melbourne were super competitive last year so will not be writing them off just yet on the back of comments re. the game against Richmond this past weekend. However having said that, Therry Penola were as stated earlier, super impressive against OP.

A few tips to get the season underway
Yarra vs St Leo's (The animals struggled last year, and would expect the same. Whats with all these clearances from Ivanhoe though???)
Eltham vs Sth Melb (Eltham too strong on the vast expanses of their home deck)
SMS vs St John's (Heard whispers of big numbers down at Ferndale over the summer, so expecting improvement)
Old P's vs Monash (Expecting a tight battle as clashes were last year, think Raiders are starting to hit their stride now. Boundy a tough match up for any team and looking as good as ever)
Therry vs Ivanhoe (Could be match of the round, will be interesting to see if Therry take their practice match into round 1)

I also noticed this when doing a look through the clearances this year, there are about 20 players who have been cleared from Ivanhoe to St Leo's? Can anyone clear up whats going on there?

Very exciting times coming into Round 1, teams putting their final touches on preparations and finally this board has posters (like myself) coming out of summer hibernation. Practice matches are just that, practice matches, and South Melbourne were super competitive last year so will not be writing them off just yet on the back of comments re. the game against Richmond this past weekend. However having said that, Therry Penola were as stated earlier, super impressive against OP.

A few tips to get the season underway
Yarra vs St Leo's (The animals struggled last year, and would expect the same. Whats with all these clearances from Ivanhoe though???)
Eltham vs Sth Melb (Eltham too strong on the vast expanses of their home deck)
SMS vs St John's (Heard whispers of big numbers down at Ferndale over the summer, so expecting improvement)
Old P's vs Monash (Expecting a tight battle as clashes were last year, think Raiders are starting to hit their stride now. Boundy a tough match up for any team and looking as good as ever)
Therry vs Ivanhoe (Could be match of the round, will be interesting to see if Therry take their practice match into round 1)

Went and watched Therry and they were very impressive and will be a tough assignment first up.

Hoes have lost a 4 or 5 good senior players from last year but we have faith in the players coming through for us to be more than competitive this year.

Ash Close won't play every week due to work but we have some other more than handy forwards including the Reason.

The players that have left for St Leos are clubbies players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been very interested in the tips so far all looking pretty similar! I'm going to go out on a limb here boys, I'm going to attempt to take on the role of the kiss of death for the year, picking the losers every week! So here are my tips for round one:

Yarra valley vs ST LEOS
Eltham vs SOUTH MELBOURNE
ST MARYS SALESIAN vs st johns
Old Paradians vs MONASH GRYPHONS
Therry Penola vs IVANHOE

(Tips in capitals)

Looking forward to hearing some results and will definitely be watching my boy Boundy take on the gryphons!

P.s. modest gryphons just wondering how your associated with the gryphons? Who do you know down there? My cousin has played there previously so I know a few of the boys, maybe we have met before at ECR??

Been very interested in the tips so far all looking pretty similar! I'm going to go out on a limb here boys, I'm going to attempt to take on the role of the kiss of death for the year, picking the losers every week! So here are my tips for round one:

Yarra valley vs ST LEOS
Therry Penola vs IVANHOE

(Tips in capitals)

Looking forward to hearing some results and will definitely be watching my boy Boundy take on the gryphons!

P.s. modest gryphons just wondering how your associated with the gryphons? Who do you know down there? My cousin has played there previously so I know a few of the boys, maybe we have met before at ECR??

Very funny ROMPs this form needs a kiss of death.

This form is finally firing up, but still not a peep out of anyone from Yarra Valley, SMD, SMS or St Johns. All just quietly confident lads?

St Leo's im guessing are relying on big years from the Baranello boys and hopefully a few more games out of Baluzar to stay in the division.

I think there is a case to be argued that D2 has some of the coolest nicknames in the VAFA:

- The Animals
- Turtles
- Gryphons
- Bushrangers

Yarra valley vs ST LEOS
Therry Penola vs IVANHOE

(Tips in capitals)

And so begins the Boundy love in for 2013!! ;)
All the best for the weekend lads, may your team be successful, and may the turtles come up trumps!

My Prediction:

Top two:
Therry Panola (wouldn't have them up here but clearances, plus a 100 point smashing of Parade suggests they may be the team to beat)
Turtles (will not loose at home)

Fighting for 3rd and 4th:
Yarra Valley (would have them certain top two, but losing to La Trobe on the weekend has them fighting for a spot IMO)
OP (thanks for the update Chips, maybe they miss out on the 4 this year then)
Monash (who knows... will cause upsets and then be upset...)
St Johns (looks like they have had a few premiership players return)

Fighting for Survival:
Ivanhoe (May surprise me)
SMS (likely to be safe, but not quite challenging for finals... yet)
SMD (a lot of clearance through, but a 5 goal loss to Richmond central suggests none of them are big ticket items)
St Leo's (should have been relegated in 2012, will be relegated in 2013)

FF, it sounds as though you have changed your opinion on YV, Therry and SMD after practice match results when only a moment ago you were telling us not to take these results too seriously.. which is it?

My tips this week for what it is worth:

Emmaus St Leos v Yarra Valley - Yarra Valley top 2 contender so won't drop this one
Eltham v Souths - with you on this one Finals Focus, Eltham very tough to beat at home and expect top2 finish
St Mary's v St Johns - due to return of several premiership players
Paradians v Gryphons - expect Robbo to play Rd1 therefore thinking Gryphons comfortably and would have them in my top4 this year
Ivanhoe v Therry - too many winners over the ground - with YV, ELtham, Gryphons I expect Therry to round out the top 4 this year and even though Ivanhoe will be more than competitive, Therry need to beat these sides to play finals

FF, it sounds as though you have changed your opinion on YV, Therry and SMD after practice match results when only a moment ago you were telling us not to take these results too seriously.. which is it?

My tips this week for what it is worth:

Emmaus St Leos v Yarra Valley - Yarra Valley top 2 contender so won't drop this one
Eltham v Souths - with you on this one Finals Focus, Eltham very tough to beat at home and expect top2 finish
St Mary's v St Johns - due to return of several premiership players
Paradians v Gryphons - expect Robbo to play Rd1 therefore thinking Gryphons comfortably and would have them in my top4 this year
Ivanhoe v Therry - too many winners over the ground - with YV, ELtham, Gryphons I expect Therry to round out the top 4 this year and even though Ivanhoe will be more than competitive, Therry need to beat these sides to play finals

Fair point BW1.

I don't take practice matches too seriously, but I don't ignore them completley. My opinion may have changed a little but I haven't written anyone off.

YV - I had them as a sure thing top 2. I haven't written them off, just adjusted their 'sure thing' status.
Therry - practice match or not, cannot ignore a 100+ point belting of a finals team from last year. Add to this a swarm of clearances from the EDFL.
SMD - who knows... I have them in a similar position to last year.

Yarra valley vs ST LEOS

Therry Penola vs IVANHOE

After constant badgering from Johnny, it is time to come out of hibernation and prognosticate in reference to the up and coming Division 2 season. Having spent the Summer months as high performance manager for the Poowong/Loch Cricket Club, my predictions are once again based upon past performances and limited rumour and innuendo.

As normal, I will have a stab at the ladder come Round 18:

Old Eltham (Unlucky not to play off last season and sure to be strong again).
Yarra Valley (Will be very difficult to topple at Park Orchards. Drewy has them purring)
Therry Penola (I think they are ready to challenge after a couple of mediocre years).
Old Paradians (Always competitive and consistent at this level)

SMS (Reckon they have the right structures in place to improve)
Ivanhoe (Were impressive last season, but will find D2 much harder)
Monash (Depth to be an issue this year, but will still be hard to beat at ECR)
SMD (Cannot see the Bloods being a major force, but one to keep safe)
St Johns (The Jocs need to find a winning culture again. Alas I doubt it will be this year).
Emmaus (Only stayed up due to default and will continue to leak goals like a sieve).

Round 1 Preview

Always a week of great anticipation and hope as all teams are even and nearly all go in confident that they can deliver the goods in 2013.

Yarra Valley over Emmaus by 35 Pts. (The bushrangers were virtually unbeatable last year and although they will find far more competition in this division, it is unlikely to come from the boys from Bennettswood, even if their numbers on track have improved. Rob Drew will ensure the visitors wear down the Animals with their run and spread style of play that has proved so fruitful in recent years).

Eltham over SMD by 41 Pts. (Can only see this going one way as the Turtles have been buoyed by the appointment of Montmorency Legend, Jason McBean. The twice Jim Barden Medal winner is sure to instill a greater defensive work ethic to his chargers as they aim to go one better and reach the big dance in 2013. The Bloods will give their all in the first half but be overrun as the Turtles apply the brakes and deny them the ball later on).

St Mary’s over Joc’s by 28 Pts. (I suspect the lads from Ferndale will be far more competitive this season and hence they simply cannot afford to drop this season’s opener. The St Johns of old would’ve got over the line in this one with brute force, but showed little of that resolve in 2012. Jonesy will no doubt be quoting the “together we stand” club motto, but when you lack the talent on the pitch this can only get you so far. Saints to win easily enough).

Parade over Gryphs by 13 Pts. (Reckon this one will be match of the day and Monash will fancy their chances after disposing Boundy’s Boys in Round 18. However, that one was at ECR and the Gryphons have lost a couple of key players this season. The inclusion of former AFL high flyer, Russell Robertson is sure to draw the crowds to Divvy 2, but I doubt they will be able to get it down to him with enough regularity. Parade will look to play the Gryphons at their own game and relentlessly attack the ball in a man on man rather than zoning game structure and I suspect this will mean they are able to hold out Monash just. Should be a cracker).

Therry over Hoes by 8 Pts. (Should be another close contest as Ivanhoe are reported to have recruited well and the Lions have excellent depth and I suspect 2013 could be the year they really become a contender. My spies tell me Dennis Castaldi has got Therry playing accountable football and they protect the ‘trampoline zone’ as well as anyone, so Ivanhoe will have their work cut out scoring. Having said that, the Hoes were Division 2’s second highest scorers in 2012 and had a miserly defence of their own, so they will be no pushovers).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Eltham over Sth Melbourne, looking forward to kickstarting the season with a win

Monash over Parade by 4 goals

St Johns over St Mary's by 2 goals

Yarra valley over Emmaus by 10 goals

Therry over Ivanhoe by 8 goals

Eltham turtles are the team to beat this year

Ladder:
Eltham
Ivanhoe
Therry
Parade
Monash
Yarra valley
St. John's
St Mary's
Smd
Emmaus

(I can only confirm lethal on top, other teams are just based on what I've heard and past year scores

Eltham turtles are the team to beat this year

Ladder:
Eltham
Ivanhoe
Therry
Parade
Monash
Yarra valley
St. John's
St Mary's
Smd
Emmaus

(I can only confirm lethal on top, other teams are just based on what I've heard and past year scores
No real idea as don't know the sides or who has recruited well or otherwise but my ladder is:

Ivanhoe
Therry
Yarra
Eltham
St Johns
Monash
Parade
Emmaus
St Marys
SMd

As for tomorrow with no real knowledge:
Yarra by 70 points
Eltham by 55 points
St Johns by 18
Gryphs by 30 points
Hoes by 12

Yes, I'm back to provide another season of sensational tipping !

Emmaus ST Leos vs Yarra Valley
Old Eltham vs South Melbourne
St Mary's Salesians vs St Johns
Old Paradians vs Monash Gryphons
Ivanhoe vs Therry Penola

With three teams located in my backyard and two more Saints it's going to be a tough season trying to separate my loyalities !
And enjoying the early start to all the Boundy-Love !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back