2013 Sheffield Shield Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, take out the final situation. You're in a match with no chance of winning (they were never going to win, any mug could see that): do you play for the draw? Of course you do!

Yeah I assume there's been a challenge from the coach/captain to bat out the day, and that's fine. If you want them to go for 440 odd runs in 85 odd overs well great for you, but I think QLD have more to learn/accomplish/take out of the innings by taking on a tough but achievable task (bat out the day) rather than a hopeless task. The first innings performance much more questionable

I think every player except Hopes would have something to play for in this situation for Queensland.

Either a push for international honours (Harris, Hartley, even Burns and Forrest in the medium term), fighting for contracts (Moller, Pomersbach, Reardon, Neser) or fighting for a spot in the side (Hauritz, Gannon).

Okay, take out the final situation. You're in a match with no chance of winning (they were never going to win, any mug could see that): do you play for the draw? Of course you do!

of course if it's a test match or a home and away shield match you go the draw. but in the final you should really go for it. there is no reason not too.

i can only assume it's coaches instructions and boof has said the match is gone, might as well try and get a couple of individual performances out of it to impress the national selectors.

don't buy into that. they aren't going to NOT pick a bloke cause he got out for 10 going the tonk trying to chase down 400 in 70 overs or whatever it was.

of course it sucks if you get rolled for 80 or 90 in the final of a first class competition but if that's the price you pay for actually going for the win then **** it. so be it. people with a brain will see it for what it was.

You might at least have a go first up.

Promote two strokemakers to open and see what happens. If they flop, then you can shut up shop and go for the draw if you must. If they get to 0/100 off 15 overs or something, and take down one or two bowlers in the process, then who knows?

I thought Hopes might have opened the batting to have a bit of a dash, and if it doesn't work, then shut it down if it was 5 or 6 down for not a huge amount of progress.

5 an over for a day is not exactly ungettable anyway. bloody tough. about a 40 or 50 to 1 shot on a last day wicket. but it's certainly worth having a crack with your top 3 or 4 batsmen. pomersbach, hopes and reardon you would've expected to come out.

whatever, too late now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't the greatest match of all time but really don't give a ****. Winnoooooors

tassie did what they need to do and well done to them.

i'm not really sure what you can do to spice the final up. you can't play it over first innings cause that would be farcical considering the whole season is played as a two innings matches. you can't have it at neutral venue's cause then no one will turn up either.

but it is disappointing that the most important game of the year is often one of the dullest, although it has produced a handful of crackers in the last decade or so.

i reckon rhianna might be giving ricky a leave pass tonight!!

A good rendition of oh we're from tigerland.

Not sure yellow and green works quite as well :)
There's something about the Richmond song being sung after winning a title that just doesn't add up these days. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Sheffield Shield Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back