2013 Triple J Hottest 100‏

Remove this Banner Ad

I first heard Hold On, We're Going Home on Triple R of all places...

It's weird how Triple J would never play a song like that. Yet they bump Macklemore ad nauseum because he's an 'INDEPENDENT ARTIST'.

I first heard Hold On, We're Going Home on Triple R of all places...

It's weird how Triple J would never play a song like that. Yet they bump Macklemore ad nauseum because he's an 'INDEPENDENT ARTIST'.

I havent heard any Macklemore on the J's for a long time (which is good)

Arcade Fire - Afterlife
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Birds Of Tokyo - Lanterns
Birds Of Tokyo - When The Night Falls Quiet
Cold War Kids - Lost That Easy
Empire Of The Sun - Alive
John Newman - Love Me Again
London Grammar - Strong
Queens Of The Stone Age - I Sat By The Ocean
Trouble With Templeton, The - You Are New

Well that was surprisingly easy, had 17 to chop down. Some really good songs for me this year, but thinned out quickly.

You can analyse the shit out of music if you want, that's fine. And I actually agree that Triple J is just pop music for people who consider pop music to be beneath them. I'm referring to the claim of Chvrches having a track which is a 'diaspora and call to arms' (lolwut?), people not liking Drake because of some hipstery conceitedness (irony), and you claiming that you could write a freakin essay about the title and chorus of a song that - despite admittedly being pretty good - really just fits in nicely with a lot of other good tracks in the 2010s R&B milieu....

And seriously, do you really think that listening to and loving albums by Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend, Drake, Toro Y Moi and Sky Ferreira puts you on some higher plane than JJJ listeners? Please. If you're going to be a pretentious smuck when it comes to music, at least big up some pretentious music...

The thing is, I cop that I like pop music. I don't have an issue with that and as I've gotten older, my tastes might've broadened but the pop thing has become stronger. I admit that and I cop that. You should be able to be pretentious about pop music too – it's no lesser format than anything else.

All I'm saying about Chvrches is that Gun seemed to be the moment. I mean they had the buzz and hype but that song backed up the two or three singles before it. It's the song that sounds most like them and is a representation of what they're trying to do – really syrupy, rising pop numbers. And it's the song that got them plenty of attention in a demographic they hadn't hit before it. The word diaspora kind of says that.

A$AP Rocky - F**kin' Problems {Ft. Drake, 2 Chainz & Kendrick Lamar}
A$AP Rocky - Wild For The Night {Ft. Skrillex}
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Arctic Monkeys - Snap Out Of It
Aston Shuffle, The - Comfortable {Ft. Will Heard}
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Flux Pavilion - Do Or Die {Ft. Childish Gambino}
Foals - Late Night
Lorde - Tennis Court
RUFUS - Take Me

My own votes:
A Day To Remember - Right Back At It Again
Aston Shuffle, The - Comfortable {Ft. Will Heard}
City And Colour - Thirst
Daft Punk - Instant Crush
Dizzee Rascal - H-Town {Ft. Bun B & Trae Tha Truth}
Everything Everything - Kemosabe
Just Blaze & Baauer - Higher {Ft. JAY Z}
King Krule - Easy Easy
Kingswood - Ohio
Way Of The Eagle - Rattlesnake {Ft. Dan Sultan}

My 10

Arctic Monkeys - Arabella
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Arctic Monkeys - Fireside
Arctic Monkeys - Snap Out Of It
Boy & Bear - Harlequin Dream
Everything Everything - Duet
Meg Mac - Every Lie
Queens Of The Stone Age - If I Had A Tail
Wolf Alice - She

What do people think of Arctic Monkeys - Do I wanna Know? Taking this out followed by Vance Joy - Riptide. I've been watching Instagram using the #hottest100 and these two have been the dominant songs.

TOP TEN

Banks - Warm Water
Chvrches - Gun
Disclosure - Help me Lose my Mind {Ft. London Grammar}
Disclosure - You And Me {Ft. Eliza Doolittle}
Drums Of Death - True {Ft. Yasmin}
Duke Dumont - Need U (100%) {Ft. A*M*E}
James Vincent McMorrow - Cavalier
St Lucia - Elevate
Ta-ku - I Miss You
Vance Joy - Riptide

Ta-ku for the win!!

Jon Hopkins - Open Eye Signal
Julie Holter - Maxim's I
Candy Claws - Into Deep Time (One Sun)
My Bloody Valentine - If I Am
Speedy Ortiz - MKVI
The Knife - Full of Fire
David Bowie - Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Remix)
The Field - A Guided Tour
Boards of Canada - Sick Times
Jon Hopkins - Collider

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think of Arctic Monkeys - Do I wanna Know? Taking this out followed by Vance Joy - Riptide. I've been watching Instagram using the #hottest100 and these two have been the dominant songs.

I agree with Do I Wanna Know? looking like an early winner. Don't know about Riptide as a lock in 2nd though, will be up there but too close to call.

Riptide is a bit of a guilty pleasure and I'm embarrassed to have voted for it. Judge me as you will.

JJJ.png

Additionally, I voted 3005 as my #1 song of the year, which is odd for someone like me who doesn't generally like rap music.

Riptide is a bit of a guilty pleasure and I'm embarrassed to have voted for it. Judge me as you will.

View attachment 39722

Additionally, I voted 3005 as my #1 song of the year, which is odd for someone like me who doesn't generally like rap music.

Similar taste, nice work. Nearly all of those songs were in my 40-track shortlist.

Have you listened to the rest of Because the Internet? I really like the album. "3005" is great, but there are some other awesome tunes on there too - "Telegraph Ave", "Sweatpants", "Earth: The Oldest Computer" and "Life: The Biggest Troll" are my faves

Have you listened to the rest of Because the Internet? I really like the album. "3005" is great, but there are some other awesome tunes on there too - "Telegraph Ave", "Sweatpants", "Earth: The Oldest Computer" and "Life: The Biggest Troll" are my faves

Yeah, It's a pretty good album. I don't find his standup really funny but I definitely like his music.

One thing I like about this year is that the #1 spot isn't a lock like Somebody That I Used To Know and Thrift Shop were. Any of Royals, Get Lucky, Riptide or Do I Wanna Know could win it.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what will take it home. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Royals though.

Why? Just because something gets some mainstream attention doesn't suddenly make it a bad song.

I just feel dirty for liking it. No idea why. Apparently I'm one of the few triple J listeners that's okay with liking mainstream music, judging by the comments section on Facebook. ;)

Yeah, I'm not really sure what will take it home. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Royals though.

Yeh but it pays only about $1.25sh. Whereas 'Do i wanna know', 'Get lucky' and 'Riptide' are all about $5, $5.50 and $9 (according to sportinbgbet anyway). I'd agree with Schulzenfest too that they're all in with a very strong chance which makes for at least a relatively exciting count.

And speaking of odds, is this forum appropriate for it or is their an alternative, because i seem to remember a couple of people last year getting a bit upset with the betting talks? But anyway would love to know what people place their wagers on, especially when top 5's, Australian #1 and head to head markets come out.

This is what I ended up voting for:
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Clubfeet - Everything You Wanted
Daft Punk - Instant Crush
Everything Everything - Duet
Ex Cops - James
Luke Million - Midnight
Mr Little Jeans - Oh Sailor
Owl Eyes - Closure
Strokes, The - One Way Trigger

Drake is just a poor mans Frank Ocean though.

Well and truly riding the wave of ultra-fem, not entirely boring but easily forgettable quasi alternative RnB artists.

I wish their was more variety in the countdown though - certainly going to be another year devoid of anything remarkable. Would love to see something surprising poll one year.

I might start a campaign to get Touche Amore some coverage next countdown.

I wish their was more variety in the countdown though - certainly going to be another year devoid of anything remarkable. Would love to see something surprising poll one year.

Odd you say that, I thought last couple of year's countdowns haven't been that great but I'm really looking forward to this year's. Lot of great music came out in 2013.

And for what it's worth I think Drake and Frank Ocean aren't really similar at all, but each to their own I guess

It'll be as boring as ever.

How are they not similar? Aside from the fact Ocean can actually write a decent set of prose? Thematically they're comparable, sonically they're similar.. I aside from maybe The Weeknd I couldn't think of a closer comparison to Frank Ocean than Drake.

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Triple J Hottest 100‏

Remove this Banner Ad

Back