Preview 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney vs Hawthorn, MCG, 2.30pm, Saturday Sept 27th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anybody that can pick the winner with any certainty is kidding themselves.

Expect a brutal contest that will ebb and flow all day. It looks like it will be a slick track and a mild-warm day so there will be no excuses for either team. Conditions should be just about perfect.

Either side by under 15.5 is a super bet in my opinion.

Totally agree. Was chatting to a Hawks mate of mine last night and neither of us was certain (he was mighty certain in 2012, perhaps he's learnt ;)). Could go either way, and I highly doubt there will be more than a couple of goals in it.

Totally agree. Was chatting to a Hawks mate of mine last night and neither of us was certain (he was mighty certain in 2012, perhaps he's learnt ;)). Could go either way, and I highly doubt there will be more than a couple of goals in it.

In some ways I would rather the Swans lose by 30 points than I would want them to lose by 3 points. If they lose by 3 points all I will think about is what could have been but if they lose by 30 at least I could take comfort in the knowledge that a few different decisions by the umpires or one critical play didn't make the difference. Still hoping we win though :)

In some ways I would rather the Swans lose by 30 points than I would want them to lose by 3 points. If they lose by 3 points all I will think about is what could have been but if they lose by 30 at least I could take comfort in the knowledge that a few different decisions by the umpires or one critical play didn't make the difference. Still hoping we win though :)

Geelong lost by 26 points in 2008....and their fans still make excuses to this day.;)

Just sayin'.

Lol. Sydney fans have been playing this card for two years but have never bothered to show how any of the decisions were either costly, or wrong.

Probably because as the stats show Sydney were second to the ball all game, and were easily beaten in contested possession leaving them only able to win back possession through tackling.

They did this spectacularly well and deserved to win a flag from it, but it is also highly likely to leak free kicks. Which is what happened.

Christ the delusion that happens amongst all fans is ridiculous...

Funny that, mine was a tongue in cheek reply to one of made up facts. Thanks for your detailed reply with facts!

Lol. Sydney fans have been playing this card for two years but have never bothered to show how any of the decisions were either costly, or wrong.

Probably because as the stats show Sydney were second to the ball all game, and were easily beaten in contested possession leaving them only able to win back possession through tackling.

They did this spectacularly well and deserved to win a flag from it, but it is also highly likely to leak free kicks. Which is what happened.

Christ the delusion that happens amongst all fans is ridiculous...
Hawthorn lost the match due to their poor goal kicking accuracy, whereas the Swans converted their chances well. I don't think there was any bias shown from the umps.

For those of you smart enough to never venture to the bay, I'm just going to leave this here. ;)

NaUCneg.jpg

Bound to be a 4 drink "You get the feeling X needs the next goal, don't you?" combo at some stage.

"Gee... you get the feeling x needs the next goal, don't you?" 5 drink combo is certainly a possibility too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Sydney play near their best it will have a massive bearing on how the Hawks play.
When Sydney plays their best they have heaps of the ball. Hawks can't score without the ball! And, they will do a heck of a lot of chasing. That all catches up with you (like the 4th Q against Port). That is where it will blowout.

If Sydney play near their best it will have a massive bearing on how the Hawks play.
When Sydney plays their best they have heaps of the ball. Hawks can't score without the ball! And, they will do a heck of a lot of chasing. That all catches up with you (like the 4th Q against Port). That is where it will blowout.

Good point, but of more importance is playing their best for 4 quarters. Should Sydney get a lead on Hawthorn, if they switch off for 15-20mins then potentially all that hard work goes down the drain (see MCG game this year).

Same can be said for Hawthorn though - it's going to be a tight game. Not sure if my heart will hold out if it's < a goal either way.

Good point, but of more importance is playing their best for 4 quarters. Should Sydney get a lead on Hawthorn, if they switch off for 15-20mins then potentially all that hard work goes down the drain (see MCG game this year).

Same can be said for Hawthorn though - it's going to be a tight game. Not sure if my heart will hold out if it's < a goal either way.

It will be epic for 2 and half quarters. Then it will come down to who wants it the most.
The running power of the Swans youngsters (Cunningham, Lloyd, Rohan) is grossy under rated. Their contribution to the Swans success is also grossly under rated.
The top end talent in both teams is impossible to split. It will be the lesser lights and how they contribute that will decide the result.
My view is that the Swans will run the Hawks into the ground. If that happens stopping Buddy/Tippo/Goodes/Reid becomes impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back