Preview 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney vs Hawthorn, MCG, 2.30pm, Saturday Sept 27th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
just like 2012 GF ? :)
Free Kicks For.
H: 21 to S: 10
Lol. Sydney fans have been playing this card for two years but have never bothered to show how any of the decisions were either costly, or wrong.

Probably because as the stats show Sydney were second to the ball all game, and were easily beaten in contested possession leaving them only able to win back possession through tackling.

They did this spectacularly well and deserved to win a flag from it, but it is also highly likely to leak free kicks. Which is what happened.

Christ the delusion that happens amongst all fans is ridiculous...

Google is really cool.

When I decide to find out some interesting information, then I can enter some parameters.

If I enter: Hawthorn Swans AFL Grand Final........... then I get awful, boring, waste my time BS about persecution, cheating and COLA

If I enter: Hawthorn Swans AFL Grand Final -umpire... then I get sensible people wanting to talk matchups, gamestyle and intensity

Mr. Big Footy.... please give us a filter

The thread is shocking and it would be worse if the mods didn't monitor it constantly. Credit to them but they can only do so much.
I cannot believe the two best teams facing off in 2014 doesn't warrant discussion about match-ups or norm smith predictions etc. except by neutrals. It's just ridiculous given how good a game we had in 2012 that more supporters don't just enjoy the moment and realise whatever mind games and other crap they post have no bearing on the result. It's a waste of time.
I for one am looking forward to the game. The two best teams all year who have won 1-1 against each other with AA littered all over the ground. If Sydney lose so be it. The odd joke here and there is fine and I've been guilty of it, but Hawthorn are a class side and you'd be foolish to actually let their supporters change your opinion of the team itself. Vice versa too.

After the game the losing team will blame the umpires for winning the game for the opposition, the winning team will blame the umpires for almost losing them the game. People only see what they want to. Everyone needs to get over this obsession with biased umpires and learn that there's not some giant conspiracy against your team!

A quote you will never hear in earnest from any fan: "The umpires favoured my team."

Anybody that can pick the winner with any certainty is kidding themselves.

Expect a brutal contest that will ebb and flow all day. It looks like it will be a slick track and a mild-warm day so there will be no excuses for either team. Conditions should be just about perfect.

Either side by under 15.5 is a super bet in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody that can pick the winner with any certainty is kidding themselves.

Expect a brutal contest that will ebb and flow all day. It looks like it will be a slick track and a mild-warm day so there will be no excuses for either team. Conditions should be just about perfect.

Either side by under 15.5 is a super bet in my opinion.
You can't pick the winner of any game with certainty unless it's fixed... Of course we are all going to have a go, what do you think footy tipping is?

We'll see if they've learnt their lesson and tag Malceski.
We tagged Malceski in Round 18. Simpkin was the player who did the job and beat him. Which stopped Sydney from getting any sort of drive off half back.
You mean like last game when we tagged Malceski with Simpkin :drunk:

While not suggesting tagging Malceski will not happen, nor be good tactically, it was a tactic in Rd 18 which left us with nothing because Shaw was out and Rohan was not playing the role he has been given in the past month.

I guess what I'm saying is a hard tag on Malceski this time around may see Shaw and Rohan find a bit more space. Leave them freely to run the lines at your peril...

I think betting a margin of 1-39 is very safe.

Were any of them as unjustified as the 50 given to McVeigh for him pretending he couldn't catch the ball (and getting an easy goal in the process)?

I agree 50 for that is too big a penalty, but it was a 50 every day of the week and you're honestly the first person I've heard who wants to blame McVeigh for it. 100% Mitchell at fault.

As for 'getting an easy goal', you've gotta be kidding. He kicked from around 40m, slight angle to the end nobody could kick it straight all day due to the ridiculous wind. In the context of the game where the Hawks had just gone on a massive roll, it was an enormous clutch goal. It should be a hyperlink in the wiki entry as an example of the true meaning of 'Captain's Goal'....

The bloke that had more to do with Hawthorn winning last years Grand Final and the man that had more to do with them winning the Prelim Final umpiring together.

Jump on the Hawks now at $2.45 their odds are not going to get any better than that.

Kudos Mark Evans you crafty bastard just got your old side back to back.

Sorry Swans not even you guys can beat Overland and Stevic working together against you

Stevic and Roughead. Family friends from Leongatha.

Personally I think this is going to be one of the most exciting Grand Finals in atleast recent history, has the rivalry and build up and can't be any worse than last years :confused:

The projected match ups are super interesting, particularly looking at each team's forwards (assuming Rioli plays) -
Buddy v Gibson
Tippett v Lake
Reid v Spangher
Goodes v Stratton
McGlynn v Burgoyne
Cunningham v Birchall
VS
Roughead v Richards
Gunston v Rampe
Hale v Grundy
Bruest v Smith
Puopolo v Malceski
Rioli v Rohan

Each team's forward line has a mismatch on their defenders and you'd expect one of Bruest/Rioli and Goodes/Reid to get a jump on their opponents. Both these teams have stacked forward lines though and its going to be super interesting as to how each team tries to nullify each other. The game will still be won in the center, by drying up supply to the forwards, in which Sydney probably will have first pick at the clearances with contested beasts in Kennedy and Parker. Teams also have to put thought into who they tag off of half back, you'd expect Birchall and Malceski to get the tag, Malceski especially after 2012, but is it worth putting a man on Burgers? Considering Birchall has a tendency to go missing in big games? Or do we put a man on Rohan for the first bit of the game and try and kill his confidence? All in all it looks to be exciting.

EDIT - Tipping Lewis to win the Norm Smith and Hawks by 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back