2014 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers. My only query is that they lost by 80 to Collingwood when he had 52 touches and he picked up three that day. BOG is BOG, regardless of the result. Might need to try track down a copy of the game.

Edit: Cheers JanuaryMan
no worries. it was one of the filthiest days of the year in terms of weather, down in tassie, sideways rain for a fair bit of the game (hence ceglar getting the one in my tallies, he stood out for clean hands and towelled both the suns rucks)

uOJqhnj.png

That should do for now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide most votes - I have Boak, Gray and Hartlett all within 2.5 votes of each other. No-one else within cooee. So, looking at the Port quinella market, Boak/Hartlett @ $51 (Sportsbet) is my little Hail Mary wager this year.
I have gray 24-25. How does hartlett get close? Id be surprised although gray is very un proven

I have gray 24-25. How does hartlett get close? Id be surprised although gray is very un proven
Hartlett gets close coz I have Gray 14/15. Boak marginally more, Hartlett marginally less.
The planets need to align, but stranger things have happened. Gray is obviously the key.

I have Gray polling in rounds 5,7,8, 12, 16, 21, 22, 23 and possibly 18.
Any I may have missed?

Hartlett gets close coz I have Gray 14/15. Boak marginally more, Hartlett marginally less.
The planets need to align, but stranger things have happened. Gray is obviously the key.

I have Gray polling in rounds 5,7,8, 12, 16, 21, 22, 23 and possibly 18.
Any I may have missed?
Round 11 he should at least get one. Was Ports best behind Boak
Round 13 he was a standout for Port (with ebert) and should poll
Round 20 in the other game against Sydney he was equally if not more impressive. Still may be restricted to 2 votes in the loss

So add on another 5 or so votes to his tally and you'd have him at 20, which is around the starting point that most expect him to be
Obviously Gray is a bit of an unknown with regards to polling history, so he may well not feature in all the games that we expect him too, but his two performances against Sydney in losses were too good to ignore in my opinion

Robbie Gray (Summary of Votes)
Round 1 0 - votes. I have him listed in 4th place. If Polec still isnt known to the umpires which is every chance than Gray could well pick up the one. Wines and Westhoff easily the best 2. However the one vote game is wide open to mainly port players. Grays 4 goals could have been noted and the difference in a 5 goal win. I gave Polec the one, however its probably why i favoured Gray in round 3 just over Hartlett. I think Gray should be on 1 after round 3.
Round 3
1- vote. According to the Port fans you would be hard pleased not to see him with the 5 next to his name and on someone elses. This vote is really between Hartlett and Gray. Id really be giving him 0.5 if i went with that formula. 24 disposals and 7 clearances 4 in which were CC.
Round 4
0-votes. Again i have him 4th and with a 0.5 vote game against his name. Boak and Schulz will take the 3 and 2 id suspect. However it is open after that, ive favoured M.White as he usually stands out when he has good games with that speed. Should be Eberts, Whites or grays. Gray had 29 possessions, 6 scoring shots and involved in 8 FF/FA which wouldve continually been involving/seen by the umpires obviousily. Struggle not to see him snagging 1 vote in any of these first 4 games. He also had a massive last half.
Round 5
2 votes Some seem to think he was BOG and the reason they won. Fanfooty gave him the star for the game which indicates a BOG however i always take with a grain of salt. He had another massive last half wehreas Ebert was good all day but mainly dominant in the first half. All of Gray/Ebert/Darling were given 8 AFLCA votes for this game. IIRC i counted all the votes on the poart board and it had Ebert just marginally ahead. Gray could be a 2.5 vote game. gray had the most clearances, most goals on ground and was 3 possessions off the highest for port.
Round 6
1 Vote Boak and Hartlett get the 3,2. The 1 will be between Kornes, Gray and Ebert. Because i leant Eberts way the week before ive leant the way of Gray with Kornes not that popular with the umps. Gray was considered the x factor player in this game. This game i must admit looking back at it, id favour Ebert. However Kornes and Gray shared the 7 votes from AFLCA votes behind Boak. He could actually go more and get 2 but thats asking too much. gray was very good in the 3 quarters when the game was there to be won, however finished slowly in the last.
ROUND 7
2 Votes Polec clear 3. A very good win means he stays ahead of Ward in the votes for this game as i think it should be a 5 vs 1 vote game favouring Port. Gray had 30 possessions, 7 clearances of which included a massive 5 CC, 6I50's 1.2 (3 scoring shots). Ward gets the 1. Was again very good in the first 3 quarters when the game was on the line.
Round 8
3 Votes His last half won them the game and it was seen that way in the AFLCA votes with a 9. From memory he had 25 possessions in the last half which is huge against Freo. 6 clearances 4 of which were CC and 6I50's again. he was huge in the last half. Wingard did kick 5 and Fyfe had 34 and 2 goals. This could be a game where he gets just one vote but his last half changed the game for me. this round will determine alot about how he is going to fare for the season 3 and hes in contention, 1 or less and he wont be near it.
Round 11
3 Votes Must admit good chance Boaks polling history gets him over Gray here. Boak got the 10 votes from AFLCA however i think it was more from his gutsy return from an ankle injury and his game after that. I remember watching this game so i voted accordingly. I think Gray gets minimum 2. Port board had it 102 Gray, 82 Boak. Both had even games. gray got 3 FF and kicked 2 goals which keeps him under the eye they had similar clearances and possessions that wouldnt be easy to separate as an ump and Both lifted in the last half.
Round 12
2 Votes Probably gets the 3 but have favoured Hartlett. 2 is worse case id say. Probably pretty confident in him gathering 5 votes from round 11-12 games.
Round 13
1 Vote - They lost to Sydney by a kick however he gathered 35 possessions. Franklin was the match winner in a winning team he gets the 3. Ebert had 41 from memory.
Round 14
0 votes - However wouldnt be a surprise to see him sneak one. Have gone 3. Schulz for his bag. 2 Wines and 1 Westhoff. Gray/Boak 0.33 chance.
Round 16
2 votes Zaharakis BOG in a winning team. Gray clear next best. He should either take the 2 or 3 in this game.
Round 18
2 votes I think its a pretty clear 3 tyson, 2 Gray, 1 N.Jones game. Port won so at worse he gets 2 like round 16 and could very well take the 3 home with the win. 2 votes at worse again IMO.
Round 20
2 Votes Originally gave him 3 however have chanegd to giving Mcglynn the 3 and Gray the 2. From memory Gray had 28 possessions and 10 clearances till 3 quarter time. Again i think at worse he gets the 2 and the swans get 4 votes vs 2 for their win. He ended with 37 possessions and from watching this game stood out as the BOG for me. Surely 37 possessions a massive 12 clearances, 2 shots at goal and 3 FF keep in the mind of the umps.
Round 21
2 Votes Gave Hartlett the deserving 3. the coaches gave Gray an almost perfect 10 for this game so id expect 2 votes at worse which is what i gave him with Bennell gaining one. These 2 votes game really stack in his favour, not stand out 3 vote games i agree but hard to give him anything less than 2.
Round 22
3 Votes Clear BOG dont think anyone would disgaree. 31 disposasl, 4 goals 2 and 7 clearances.
Round 23
1 Vote Most have him getting 2. But im happy to give 2 votes to Schulz for his 7 goals and Neale was BOG in the winning side.

As much i mightve overpolled him early ive probably equaled it out with some underpolling late.

I think this actually has him getting 27 votes if my maths is correct.

Round 7,8 and 11 are going to be massive for him, i feel ive overpolled he byroughly 2-3 votes but these could be picked up earlier or later IMO with my votes.

I expect probably 24-25 as i usually favour the guns more than i should in votes.

Feel free to rip holes through me thanks.

I have Gray as follows:

Rnd 1 v Carl - 1 vote
Rnd 3 v NM - 1 vote
Rnd 5 v WCE - 3 votes
Rnd 7 v GWS - 1 vote
Rnd 8 v Fro - 2 votes
Rnd 11 v Melb - 3 votes
Rnd 12 v St K - 3 votes
Rnd 13 v Syd - 1 vote
Rnd 16 v Ess - 2 votes
Rnd 18 v Melb - 1 vote
Rnd 20 v Syd - 2 votes
Rnd 21 v GC - 1 vote
Rnd 22 v Carl - 3 votes
Rnd 23 v Freo - 2 votes

Total: 26

I feel sick. If Gray gets 26 votes I will chuck.

i'm looking at stats like this with regard to him - it is clearly a breakout season for him:

Before this season, gray has polled votes in 7 matches in total.
in 6 of those games, he kicked 4 goals or more - and has polled everytime he has kicked 4 goals or more. The other match he polled, he had 26 touches, 0 goals and got the 3 votes.

Before this season, he had more than 26 touches only once in a match and he did not poll in that game ( a 74 pt loss for Port that day)

This season, he has had 4 games where he has kicked 4 goals or more.

He has also had 11 games with 26 touches or more

i'm looking at stats like this with regard to him - it is clearly a breakout season for him:

Before this season, gray has polled votes in 7 matches in total.
in 6 of those games, he kicked 4 goals or more - and has polled everytime he has kicked 4 goals or more. The other match he polled, he had 26 touches, 0 goals and got the 3 votes.

Before this season, he had more than 26 touches only once in a match and he did not poll in that game ( a 74 pt loss for Port that day)

This season, he has had 4 games where he has kicked 4 goals or more.

He has also had 11 games with 26 touches or more

Nice research. I'm on the Robbie Gray train....I can see him right in the mix. And if you've backed him you know he comes hard in the last 4 games

If he had more recent history behind him hed be looking at a mid 20 vote year and I think his season has reflected that. Hes a hell of a footballer amazing what continuity can do. Hes one of the cleanest and best lateral movers in the game and his ability to go forward to kick 4 goal bags is only ablett like. Not many others have that ability.

I must admit for some reason id prefer to see gaz or selwood win it.

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back