Preview 2014 Fixture - What will it look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't look Kosher. Adelaide games at Adelaide Oval next year. And if we have only one game against Geelong I don't think it will be at Skilled.

The games at AAMI in this 'fixture' appear to be a dead giveaway that it's a load of bollocks.

Which is probably a good thing, that's a prick of a draw.

I hope we do get the Hawks at the MCG. We deserve that respect now, you don't shunt the GF replay off to Tassie.

This notion on the main board that we will struggle with a tougher fixture is amusing. The fact that we will get to play all the tough teams at home means they will have a tougher fixture this year, and will give us a better chance of knocking them out of those top couple of spots.
I agree...I hope our position means we play Hawthorn at the MCG and not in Tasmania.

Given that the top six included the results of the finals series I would have thought that you can rule out the pies for a double up. As 6th was Carlton.

I think that the AFL will give us a bum draw so I am almost certain that we will see

Hawks
Sydney
Port (We have played Geelong a lot recently)

West Coast

North - from outside the top 6 or if the AFL really wants to do us over Bombers (not that they will succeed :))

We might get Brisy (because we can travel) but there is 0 chance of getting any of the bottom 6 twice. You can rule out the "blockbuster" Pies as they have all their sweet heart deals. Carlton were only lucky to make the 6 so not hard enough for us.

While I do like the ide of the new "three tiered" draw structure, I do think it has one wrinkle, which is the impact of the rules on the teams which are traditional derby opponents.

Sides ranked 1-6 on the ladder will have a minimum of two double-meetings with other top six sides and a maximum of three meetings with sides ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting of sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides in the 7-12 range. They will have either no double meetings or a maximum of one double meeting with a side ranked 13-18.​
As Wet Toast finished 13th on the ladder, they will be our double meeting team, meaning we get no chance of any other double meetings with the lower ranked teams.

Sydney will get caught by that in 2014, as GWS have finished so low, and Sydney/GWS is a derby lock in, presumably the Swans get no other double meetings against the bottom third teams. Boo hoo for the swans. But why couldn't the Egirls have had that one win to push them up to 12th...

Seen this circulated on that other Freo forum, as supposedly a draft that the club has received ... make of it as you will:

1) Geelong Skilled
2) Collingwood (p)
3) Port (AS)
4) WCE (p) Home game
5) Richmond (MCG)
6) Essendon (P)
7) Sydney (SCG)
8) Hawthorn (P)
9) GWS (SK)
10) bye
11) Melbourne (P)
12) WB (ES)
13) GC (P)
14) North (Hobart)
15) Saints (P)
16) Hawthorn (MCG)
17) Brisbane (P)
18) Adelaide (AAMI)
19) bYE
20) Carlton (P)
21) WCE (p) Away
22) Sydney (P)
23) Collingwood (MCG)
24) North (P)

I'd take that draw in a heartbeat, considering we get Subi games against Hawks, Pies, Bombers, Carltank, Sydney and Gold Coast, 3 games at the G, no trips to Queensland (sorry Kapow!! but it is the longest trip we have to do) and we only play Essendon, Port and Richmond once each. Byes are also nicely spaced.

Don't think it is a legit document though, far too favourable to us. We're more likely to have multiple trips to Tassie, Queensland and a Darwin special thrown at us...

We'll get a bottom six side twice next year cos the Eagles finished 13th. Bottom six, I like the sound of that, suits them I think.

Yeah, but if they'd just finished 12th, we'd get to play them twice and a bottom six team twice as well. Two for the price of one really...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boo hoo for the swans. But why couldn't the Egirls have had that one win to push them up to 12th...

Course they tanked to get 13th and a better draft pick. They only ever finish top 8 or bottom 4 , however this year being an 18 team comp they tanked down to finish bottom 6. I still cannot get my head around the fact that they have had MORE PP's than us since we started in 1995 (1994 was premiership year for them is case no one has told you that :) )

The ultimate concern is how many games will we get at the MCG?

Despite nerves and poor-umpiring we just haven't found ourselves at that ground yet, and part of it is lack of exposure and poor experience when we do play there.

Because the Top 4 consisted of only one team that plays there, I'm worried we won't get enough. Hopefully we get;

- Hawthorn on a Fri or Sat night (huge crowd)
- Collingwood on a Fri or Sat night (huge crowd)
- Essendon on a Fri or Sat night (huge, drug induced crowd)

**** playing Richmond there though, the piss-poor umpiring will only reinforce our bad experience there, and playing Melbourne will be a training drill.

Given we finished 3rd and then lost the Grand Final we'll almost certainly get boned by the draw.

So Hawthorn (Launceston), Sydney and Geelong twice is almost a given. West Coast twice goes without saying, probably get the Tiggers home and away like this year and maybe AOD9604 at home and Etihad with probably Port as the other double.

We will play Cats, Port, Eagles, Hawks and Crows Twice. We will play Hawks in Tassie and a Friday night against the hawks at home. GWS at home, Swans at SCG again, and play one Queensland game.

I've always been of the opinion that the opening game of the year should be the GF reply at the winners home ground.

Not a bad way to steel yourself for a season by watching them hoist up the flag before game.

Apparently the AFL are considering play us in more blockbusters games, hopefully that means a double up against Collingwood seeing that they might be on the slide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2014 Fixture - What will it look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back