Position 2014 SC Defenders

What structure are you going in with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh crap, I forgot Guerra retired.
I want both McViegh and Mitchell but it is looking more like I'll have to pick one.
There is no doubting Mitchell's consistency (averaged 105 over a 9 year period) but the two concerns I have for him are age and role.
I have a 'no player over 30 years old' rule for Round 1 but he is definitely worth breaking it for.
He'll be in my team but it is a matter of whether it is Round 1 or later. By mid year it could be too late.
ARRGH Decisions, decisions :eek:

I just can't see how you can miss out on Mitchell. He is a gun.

Don't get me wrong, McViegh is a gun too, but not to Sammy's level. I also question whether McViegh will average 106+ again. Last year he played back flank, with a presumed return to the midfield I can see him going back to 95-100. Which is still awesome, but I reckon you could pick him up for 450k or less eventually.

Oh crap, I forgot Guerra retired.
I want both McViegh and Mitchell but it is looking more like I'll have to pick one.
There is no doubting Mitchell's consistency (averaged 105 over a 9 year period) but the two concerns I have for him are age and role.
I have a 'no player over 30 years old' rule for Round 1 but he is definitely worth breaking it for.
He'll be in my team but it is a matter of whether it is Round 1 or later. By mid year it could be too late.
ARRGH Decisions, decisions :eek:

The Hawks play the Lions, Bombers and Freo in the first 3 rounds. If Mitchell is still copping the tag, which is likely, he'll get Crowley and probably a price drop. You could upgrade to Mitchell after round 3 if you want to use a trade.

The Hawks play the Lions, Bombers and Freo in the first 3 rounds. If Mitchell is still copping the tag, which is likely, he'll get Crowley and probably a price drop. You could upgrade to Mitchell after round 3 if you want to use a trade.

Unless you leave 200k+ in the bank who exactly would you upgrade to Mitchell after only 1 price rise? Unless it's a rookie it just seems like a wasted sideways trade very early in the season. 30 trades don't go as far as most of us would like. :rainbow:

Unless you leave 200k+ in the bank who exactly would you upgrade to Mitchell after only 1 price rise? Unless it's a rookie it just seems like a wasted sideways trade very early in the season. 30 trades don't go as far as most of us would like. :rainbow:

Yeah that's a fair point. I think my brain is adjusting to some normal weather :thumbsu:

Is anyone entertaining picking Sam Fisher? $430k, and has Melb and GWS before the first price change.

If he isn't forced to play tall, he'd be worth considering. However it's been a couple of years now since he's played that rebounding defender/quaterback role. Geary looks more likely in that position this year for around the same price.

Is anyone entertaining picking Sam Fisher? $430k, and has Melb and GWS before the first price change.
Nope. Will not go near any Saints players other than Joey, Roo, maybe Steven and the two rookies Dunstan and Billings. Rest are atrocious. There is a reason they will finish bottom of the ladder this year.

Nope. Will not go near any Saints players other than Joey, Roo, maybe Steven and the two rookies Dunstan and Billings. Rest are atrocious. There is a reason they will finish bottom of the ladder this year.

Dees and GWS will finish below Saints IMO. :thumbsu:

Dees and GWS will finish below Saints IMO. :thumbsu:

Too many variables to make accurate ladder predictions, I would think we'll finish in the bottom 3 rd of ladder, but hope we put up competitive efforts and our young players all show improvement.

If you're putting your SC team together based on where you think a team will finish on the ladder, you're cutting off so many opportunities, IMO.

Too many variables to make accurate ladder predictions, I would think we'll finish in the bottom 3 rd of ladder, but hope we put up competitive efforts and our young players all show improvement.

If you're putting your SC team together based on where you think a team will finish on the ladder, you're cutting off so many opportunities, IMO.
You know I am just stirring shit yea? :) I actually don't mind the Saints, they have a great coach now! :thumbsu:

I just can't see how you can miss out on Mitchell. He is a gun.

Don't get me wrong, McViegh is a gun too, but not to Sammy's level. I also question whether McViegh will average 106+ again. Last year he played back flank, with a presumed return to the midfield I can see him going back to 95-100. Which is still awesome, but I reckon you could pick him up for 450k or less eventually.

I read the other day (think it was the AFL site) that McViegh will be playing HBF again once the proper season starts. This move back to the midfiled talk is just SC/DT speculation based on Rhyce Shaw coming back from injury which has nothing to do with McVeigh playing HBF as he was a real weapon for the Swans playing there last year. Why would they weaken their defence by moving him back to the midfield, when they have like 12 midfielders already? Would they be a better team if they moved him back to the mids? I personally don't think so. Could RShaw play that role better coming back from a year out of the game? Highly unlikely.

Is Shaun Atley an option down back?

Could slide into the North midfield and rack up some numbers, generally has excellent efficiency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could slide into the North midfield and rack up some numbers, generally has excellent efficiency.
Heard the same argument last year. Wait and see IMO.

I read the other day (think it was the AFL site) that McViegh will be playing HBF again once the proper season starts. This move back to the midfiled talk is just SC/DT speculation based on Rhyce Shaw coming back from injury which has nothing to do with McVeigh playing HBF as he was a real weapon for the Swans playing there last year. Why would they weaken their defence by moving him back to the midfield, when they have like 12 midfielders already? Would they be a better team if they moved him back to the mids? I personally don't think so. Could RShaw play that role better coming back from a year out of the game? Highly unlikely.

I heard Slobbo on SEN yesterday say the same thing as he was up there watching the intraclub game (mainly to watch Buddy). He said even though McVeigh wants to go back into the midfield rotation, Horse's view was that McVeigh will stay down back. To cut a long story short I think he'll still average over 100 either way.

Personally I think midfield depth is king in today's football and the more midfielders available in the rotation the better. We look a better team with him in the midfield but until both Shaw and Alex Johnston are well settled back in the team he looks set to stay down back for a while.

It's fairly risky but i'm thinking of going cheap in the backline, with only 1 premium(Mitchell) atm and Suckling. Could be boom or bust but I'm willing to take the risk. That is if there's enough playing rookies around that price.

It's fairly risky but i'm thinking of going cheap in the backline, with only 1 premium(Mitchell) atm and Suckling. Could be boom or bust but I'm willing to take the risk. That is if there's enough playing rookies around that price.

I can see why, who knows how defenders are going to perform. But I think the lack of good rookie options will hold you back. For me I'd like to grab Walker or Simpson, but I'll see how they go in NAB.

I really don't know about Suckling, he's never really been a monster scorer throughout his SC career and at mid 300's, I don't think there's all THAT much potential gain. I'd prefer a rookie to make me closer to 200k, than try bank on him to get near 500. I could be wrong though.

I'm not too sure with Walker, I loved him all year, being a Blues fan and watching him sit on HB racking up a ton of possies with a relatively high efficiency was delightful. He also has a monster engine and spends a LOT of time on the ground, however I'm not sure if he's going to be used in that same role this year.

There isn't and the ones that look the most likely to play are bloody expensive.

As it stands I don't think you can start more than 2 rookies in the back line. Bring on the mid pricers!!!

There isn't and the ones that look the most likely to play are bloody expensive.

As it stands I don't think you can start more than 2 rookies in the back line. Bring on the mid pricers!!!
I hope one year there are no decent midfield rookies and they're all fwd/def. I'd love to start a team with 7-8 premos in the mid. Won't happen, be nice tho.

Atley is more than an option. He IS moving into the midfield this year, & while his appearance today was not very impressive, reports from training are very encouraging. I have him high on my list of priorities.

My main concern is having two NM defenders, with Luke McDonald confirming lock status today with 13 kicks, 9 handballs & 5 marks, looking good doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back