Position 2014 SC Defenders

What structure are you going in with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fairly risky but i'm thinking of going cheap in the backline, with only 1 premium(Mitchell) atm and Suckling. Could be boom or bust but I'm willing to take the risk. That is if there's enough playing rookies around that price.

Why not do the opposite and have Danger + 1 mid pricer in the forwards. Way more mid priced options and cheap rookies that might play Rd1 in the forwards.

Atley is more than an option. He IS moving into the midfield this year, & while his appearance today was not very impressive, reports from training are very encouraging. I have him high on my list of priorities.

My main concern is having two NM defenders, with Luke McDonald confirming lock status today with 13 kicks, 9 handballs & 5 marks, looking good doing it.

ENOUGH with the North propaganda. People are going to ruin their SC teams picking this spud with all this 'he's going to be a midfielder' rubbish.

Atley has never been much of a ball magnet, hence even though he was drafted as a mid he slid to pick 17 because he only averaged like 18 possies a game at TAC Cup level playing midfield.

Just because a player has nice foot skills and can run really, really fast doesn't make them a midfielders arssshole. Atley does not find enough of his own ball to ever trouble the SC scorers as a mid.

He has nice skills and could average 80-90 this year if played of HB, so long as North improve and become a top 4 team which probably won't happen while BScott is your coach.

Yeah, I've had Atley in my side since SC Gold opened, but I don't think I will have it in me to keep him in for lock out round 1. Just haven't seen anything to suggest that he will be consistent enough. (Edit: wouldn't have bothered with that last sentence if I'd seen the post above first!)

Thinking of Terlich to take his spot, who I can see getting consistent scores between 85 - 100, with a few 70s and hopefully a few 110+ scores.

ENOUGH with the North propaganda. People are going to ruin their SC teams picking this spud with all this 'he's going to be a midfielder' rubbish.

Atley has never been much of a ball magnet, hence even though he was drafted as a mid he slid to pick 17 because he only averaged like 18 possies a game at TAC Cup level playing midfield.

Just because a player has nice foot skills and can run really, really fast doesn't make them a midfielders arssshole. Atley does not find enough of his own ball to ever trouble the SC scorers as a mid.

He has nice skills and could average 80-90 this year if played of HB, so long as North improve and become a top 4 team which probably won't happen while BScott is your coach.
North propaganda is all I've got!

You could do a lot worse looking for a breakout defender. Many are gun shy as they got burned on Atley last year because he was playing a defensive role, when typically NM were attacking for the whole game, or attacking for 3/4 & getting overrun in the last. That affected his scoring & he will definately improve on last year in the midfield.

North propaganda is all I've got!

You could do a lot worse looking for a breakout defender. Many are gun shy as they got burned on Atley last year because he was playing a defensive role, when typically NM were attacking for the whole game, or attacking for 3/4 & getting overrun in the last. That affected his scoring & he will definately improve on last year in the midfield.

So...you're saying North won't be chokers this year? :confused:

Atley doesn't get anywhere near enough ball to be a keeper.

So...you're saying North won't be chokers this year? :confused:
All they really need is the AFL to say "you weren't good enough to make it, but hey, we'll give you a charity spot and let you play finals anyway" :rainbow:

A move to the midfield (if it does happen) does not automatically mean his scoring will increase. As stated previously, he just doesn't seem to find the ball enough.

Last edited:
Back on topic. ;)

I reckon Jack Grimes is looking like a good pick for the D4 spot in my team based on a few reasons.

1. Second year of co-captaincy now so he's had a season to get used to it.
2. Paul Roos has already turned Melbourne around and quickly as evidenced in the NAB Challenge game against Richmond
3. I reckon Grimes and all the other players really want to play for Roos so you'll see the best of players like Grimes this year
4. Is now the general down back in that SC half back/quarterback friendly role which should see him score a good amount of points consistantly
5. Has the round 10 bye which is a big plus
6. Is a great price. $436,300 is way unders for a player of Grimes talent

Locked in! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Third actually

6. Is a great price. $436,300 is way unders for a player of Grimes talent:thumbsu:
His talent has never been in question. In six years, he's played more than 15 games ONCE. That's more the problem.

Back on topic. ;)

I reckon Jack Grimes is looking like a good pick for the D4 spot in my team based on a few reasons.

2. Paul Roos has already turned Melbourne around and quickly as evidenced in the NAB Challenge game against Richmond
3. I reckon Grimes and all the other players really want to play for Roos so you'll see the best of players like Grimes this year
4. Is now the general down back in that SC half back/quarterback friendly role which should see him score a good amount of points consistantly
5. Has the round 10 bye which is a big plus
6. Is a great price. $436,300 is way unders for a player of Grimes talent

Locked in! :thumbsu:

Shuddddupppp!!!!!!

Probably could have gone in the rookies thread but who are the deffensive rookies everyone is looking at selecting ?

Im throwing one out of left field. The Port Adelaide Irishman Daniel Flynn looks a likely type.
I didn't think he had very good awareness, got caught a few times. Still pretty raw, and I don't think will get many games.

Thats a given. The fact he was so willing to take the game on speaks volumes about the kid.
Oh of course, nothing against the kid, in fact he looked a likely type as you said. However, purely talking SC viability, not this year. There are a few kids out there that are willing to take the game on that aren't SC viable, such as Lin Jong from our mob.

Oh of course, nothing against the kid, in fact he looked a likely type as you said. However, purely talking SC viability, not this year. There are a few kids out there that are willing to take the game on that aren't SC viable, such as Lin Jong from our mob.

haha, that bloke.

You mention he is SC irrelevant. There is perhaps only one absolute lock for a deffensive rookie spot (Luke McDonald for those of you playing at home).

The remaining rookie spots could be vying between, Jackson Ramsey, Matt Fuller, Alex Georgiou, Daniel Flynn, Jeremy Laidley, Clay Cameron, Joel Tippet, Tom Cutler, Shaun Edwards, Kade Kolodjashnji as guys likely to line up in round 1.

As an option, if Flynn is playing in round 1 & 2, m=I'll be having him in my side come round 3.

Probably could have gone in the rookies thread but who are the deffensive rookies everyone is looking at selecting ?

Im throwing one out of left field. The Port Adelaide Irishman Daniel Flynn looks a likely type.
Might be a good 2015 cow, but he hasn't been playing the game for long and I can't see him getting many games this year.

Might be a good 2015 cow, but he hasn't been playing the game for long and I can't see him getting many games this year.

The irishman seem to get some love early. Flynn was doing well in only his 3rd month of having an AFL football in his hands, he didnt shirk and contests, his skills seemed to be good enough. Admittedly his game awareness was very little but there is plenty to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back