List Mgmt. 2014 trade/draft/FA/delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know I've harped on Goddard a bit but looking at his vision the things that alarm me a bit are his lack of athleticism and speed off the mark. He seems to be a brilliant mark and his kicking is serviceable but just seems a lumbering type. He's a nice size and we probably need a 194-195cm key defender but just not sure.

Hoping I am as wrong as I was about Haynes who has turned out an absolute beauty!

Sounds like Howe's manager just doing his best to amp up the Dees. If they don't sign him expect a year of speculation

I think the decision to go after Howe seems very driven by marketing. Having a super marker helps to sell the club as well as the more showy aspects of the game to NSW.... dare I say much like Warwick capper in the 80's (at least as far as marking was concerned)..

I think the decision to go after Howe seems very driven by marketing. Having a super marker helps to sell the club as well as the more showy aspects of the game to NSW.... dare I say much like Warwick capper in the 80's (at least as far as marking was concerned)..

Then we should draft Pickett and Laverde, 2 biggest excitement machines in the draft!

We have WHE

We don't need Howe

I know I've harped on Goddard a bit but looking at his vision the things that alarm me a bit are his lack of athleticism and speed off the mark. He seems to be a brilliant mark and his kicking is serviceable but just seems a lumbering type. He's a nice size and we probably need a 194-195cm key defender but just not sure.

Hoping I am as wrong as I was about Haynes who has turned out an absolute beauty!

Goddard actually has very good closing speed but where he falls down is with his aerial ability but at 196cm can get away with it a bit, so the opposite of Lever who is outstanding with his aerial ability but has big question marks on his closing speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i see a lot of you guys don't have you boys taking laverde at 4? Is that what you want or have you'd heard something within the club??

Thought this could be interesting reading for you, another indication of where players will be drafted
http://hurlingpeoplenow.tumblr.com/post/102568223162/hpn-consensus-phantom-draft
For in-depth analysis and more articles have a look at their website
Thanks to Mezzoculo for posting the article on bigfooty originally
Also not the most positive writing towards GWS but also an interesting article
http://hurlingpeoplenow.tumblr.com/post/100119155912/trade-analysis-gws-fire-sale

This article and its contents are flawed.

Our situation with list numbers and opportunity meant we had to trade out and also meant some highly rated kids would need to be traded out for less.

When you get to trade week and players are out of contract but want to leave you either trade out or risk losing them for nothing.

Whilst some of our drafting hasn't worked I think our recruiting team have been quite diligent in extracting value for players that have yet to establish themselves.

We paid too much initially for JOR. He was a 5-7 rated kid whom we took at 2.

In the 2 years he was with us he was largely injured but when he played he did not ever dominate a game and frequently looked lost, he also failed to show the explosive burst acceleration that drew him to us.

For him to go at pick 19 is not really a terrible outcome. It's terrible if you think we could of had Ollie Wines instead but you can't get them all right. We did steal James Stewart as well.

KJ was pick 12 and turned into pick 7 and 19 with the loss of Whiley.

KJ was finding it hard to get a consistent game in a talent laden team and was homesick.

I can only remember the game against Carlton where he really impressed me otherwise he was merely serviceable.

Long term I think he will be a bigger loss than JOR as he has real talent and KPD's take longer but we can't keep them all and pick 7 is hardly a loss.

Whiley is a ball getter, but we probably with Gold Coast have the deepest young midfield in the comp.

With his lack of leg speed he was always going to struggle to get a game. Sad to lose a good kid but hardly a loss trading wise.

I think overall we have managed our trading extremely well. No doubt the odd clanger at the draft but we are certainly not Robinson Crusoe there.

In summary that article is crap.

Last edited:
That article was completely ridiculous. For a start, they can't do maths properly. Each player is assigned a value based on their draft position less depreciation for years passed since they were drafted. Yet they value O'Rourke at a starting point of 2250 as a pick 2, then they value Jakcsh as a pick 12 with a starting value of 2250.

I would point out to them, if they had a comments section, that pick 2 and pick 12 shouldn't probably start with the same value.

Also - the basic idea is beyond stupid. You draft a raw 17/18 year old and give him 2, 3 or 4 years of training and teaching, adding experience and skill along the way, and then say he's automatically not worth as much because you once heard about this word "depreciation" in the semester of economics that you failed.

Not every asset automatically depreciates. Fine wines and classic cars don't depreciate. And Labour doesn't depreciate either. Any employee in any industry with 3 years experience in the job is worth more than a kid straight out of high school.

Dumb, dumb, and stupid.

for mine peter wright pick 4 jarrod pickett pick 6 hugh goddard pick7 or jayden laverade pick 4 pickett and goddard.

This article and its contents are flawed.

Our situation with list numbers and opportunity meant we had to trade out and also meant some highly rated kids would need to be traded out for less.

When you get to trade week and players are out of contract but want to leave you either trade out or risk losing them for nothing.

Whilst some of our drafting hasn't worked I think our recruiting team have been quite diligent in extracting value for players that have yet to establish themselves.

We paid too much initially for JOR. He was a 5-7 rated kid whom we took at 2.

In the 2 years he was with us he was largely injured but when he played he did not ever dominate a game and frequently looked lost, he also failed to show the explosive burst acceleration that drew him to us.

For him to go at pick 19 is not really a terrible outcome. It's terrible if you think we could of had Ollie Wines instead but you can't get them all right. We did steal James Stewart as well.

KJ was pick 12 and turned into pick 7 and 19 with the loss of Whiley.

KJ was finding it hard to get a consistent game in a talent laden team and was homesick.

I can only remember the game against Carlton where he really impressed me otherwise he was merely serviceable.

Long term I think he will be a bigger loss than JOR as he has real talent and KPD's take longer but we can't keep them all and pick 7 is hardly a loss.

Whiley is a ball getter, but we probably with Gold Coast have the deepest young midfield in the comp.

With his lack of leg speed he was always going to struggle to get a game. Sad to lose a good kid but hardly a loss trading wise.

I think overall we have managed our trading extremely well. No doubt the odd clanger at the draft but we are certainly not Robinson Crusoe there.

In summary that article is crap.
That article was completely ridiculous. For a start, they can't do maths properly. Each player is assigned a value based on their draft position less depreciation for years passed since they were drafted. Yet they value O'Rourke at a starting point of 2250 as a pick 2, then they value Jakcsh as a pick 12 with a starting value of 2250.

I would point out to them, if they had a comments section, that pick 2 and pick 12 shouldn't probably start with the same value.

Also - the basic idea is beyond stupid. You draft a raw 17/18 year old and give him 2, 3 or 4 years of training and teaching, adding experience and skill along the way, and then say he's automatically not worth as much because you once heard about this word "depreciation" in the semester of economics that you failed.

Not every asset automatically depreciates. Fine wines and classic cars don't depreciate. And Labour doesn't depreciate either. Any employee in any industry with 3 years experience in the job is worth more than a kid straight out of high school.

Dumb, dumb, and stupid.

You guys should give their other blog entries a read where they explain how they developed their valuation systems etc.

Last edited:
For mine, the only trade that might come back to bum-bite is the loss of Sam Frost. Athletic and tall with better reach than Davis or Mohr, he will be a 150 gamer at the Dees.

That's my worry too but I've heard those same concerns (and his kicking which looks average) talked up as strengths by Knightmare for one.
In all the highlights he's right there with who he's marking so maybe he just looks slow.
I'd love the combine stats. He is a good size though.
Meanwhile Lever looks rangy and quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back