List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only seven sleeps to the big day and I'm really none the wiser as to who we should/will/want to go for. Last year seemed so easy - if Saints went Petracca, then we'd take Brayshaw and McCartin, if Saints went McCartin, then Petracca and Brayshaw it is - this year there's too many variables, but also the players aren't announcing themselves in a clear hierarchy.

More than any other draft, I feel this one will be about luck. Out of the top ten there'll probably be two dead-set champions, three really good players, two okay guys and two or three duds. I hope so much that we don't end up with the duds; like we have in the past. This draft could complete a premiership quality list, or result in us being a couple of really good players short.
Has a bit of a 2004/2007/2009 vibe about it.

Oliver does look like a very Roos style selection
If we go Curnow at 3 then the Bombers will take Parish and Weiderman meaning that there is either Francis or Oliver for us
Thats exactly what I want because Parish isnt head an shoulders above the other mids so theres no point taking him and then losing out on a freak talent like Curnow

Oliver does look like a very Roos style selection
If we go Curnow at 3 then the Bombers will take Parish and Weiderman meaning that there is either Francis or Oliver for us
Thats exactly what I want because Parish isnt head an shoulders above the other mids so theres no point taking him and then losing out on a freak talent like Curnow
Worked out for the Bulldogs in 2012. Got the freakish forward talent in Stringer at 5 and then a very good high production midfielder in Macrae at 6 even if they didn't get the 'stars' in Toumpas and Whitfield who'd gone before (and both of whom have turned out to be inferior players anyway).

If Curnow is a top three talent I have no problem going with him at 3.

Worked out for the Bulldogs in 2012. Got the freakish forward talent in Stringer at 5 and then a very good high production midfielder in Macrae at 6 even if they didn't get the 'stars' in Toumpas and Whitfield who'd gone before (and both of whom have turned out to be inferior players anyway).

If Curnow is a top three talent I have no problem going with him at 3.

I dont think anyone is a top 3 talent really are they, 3-10 are all about the same level so its really a needs thing
May aswell take the real unknown X factor player at 3 because we can still get a good midfielder at 7

Just had a closer look at Francis... I think he could be a good pick-up for us.. I'd be happy with any combination of Darcy, Curnow, Francis, Oliver

Edit: for some reason I have a bad feeling about Weideman.. that's why he is not included.. not sure what it is, just my gut feeling!

I dont think anyone is a top 3 talent really are they, 3-10 are all about the same level so its really a needs thing
May aswell take the real unknown X factor player at 3 because we can still get a good midfielder at 7
Knowing our luck Parish will go on to be a star at Essendon.

Knowing our luck Parish will go on to be a star at Essendon.

That's always a risk with the draft. I think Petracca will be better than Parish.. probably Brayshaw too. But we don't have a "Jake Stringer type" which Curnow apparently is.

That's always a risk with the draft. I think Petracca will be better than Parish.. probably Brayshaw too. But we don't have a "Jake Stringer type" which Curnow apparently is.
Knowing out luck not only with Parish be a star but Curnow will be terrible. And probably Oliver too just for good measure.

Knowing out luck not only with Parish be a star but Curnow will be terrible. And probably Oliver too just for good measure.

Yeah either that or one or both of them will get inured for the first 2 years of their career leaving us waiting to see if they are any good!

Lets hope the negative dark-days are behind us!

On the Road to the Draft Podcast, Cal Twomey and Brenton Sanderson have run through a mock draft, going 1 for 1 (with the other deciding on matching the Academy bids)

Their top 10 is as follows ...
1. Weitering (Carl) BS
2. Schache (Bris) CT
3. Mills (Syd) CT
4. Parish (Melb) BS
5. Francis (Ess) CT
6. Hopper (GWS) CT
7. Kennedy (GWS) CT
8. Weideman (Ess) BS
9. Oliver (GC) CT
10. Curnow (Melb) BS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we're going by one person over the majority now? Also Emma often doesn't do her drafts based on who is best but rather how she thinks the draft will go based on info she gets.

She rated her top 30 players and she had Parish coming in at 11
Whilst the majority think he will go to us at 3 I dont think he is that much better a player than Curnow/Francis/Oliver/Milera at all

On his body of work, as Taylor says, Parish is the best pure midfielder in the open draft. That doesn't mean he's the player we're going with. As I said about a week ago, Dez, the club is tight enough for none of us to know until Wednesday at the earliest I reckon.

Id love Curnow @ 3 and Oliver @7.

That's my ideal outcome. However Parish and Curnow/Francis/Oliver combo would be just fine too. Wiedeman...I don't feel super confident about.

But really, wtf do I know.

On the Road to the Draft Podcast, Cal Twomey and Brenton Sanderson have run through a mock draft, going 1 for 1 (with the other deciding on matching the Academy bids)

1. Weitering (Carl) BS
2. Schache (Bris) CT
3. Mills (Syd) CT
4. Parish (Melb) BS
5. Francis (Ess) CT
6. Hopper (GWS) CT
7. Kennedy (GWS) CT
8. Weideman (Ess) BS
9. Oliver (GC) CT
10. Curnow (Melb) BS

mmm yes please. Ideal outcome for mine.

This is Snoop Dog's most recent draft. Interesting comments about him believing that McKay is a best fit for us. What does everyone think about this as a probable/possible scenario for us?

# 1 Carlton - Jacob Weitering (Dandenong Stingrays / 195cm / 94kg)

Its line ball for me between Schache and Weitering. I think they are both fantastic prospects but I think Blues just need to go with the kid that has not downsides and that you could be your Captain in a few years time when Murphy hands over. He is an exceptional kid and a proven and respected leader. His footy does all the talking he needs. I prefer him at CHB than anywhere else where I think he reads the play very well, is dominant in the air and uses the ball with real precision both short and long. Watch him closely and moves the back half around and gets them into position and is that real leader all good back lines need. For mine he is a bit of cross between Carlisle and Taylor but he potentially has a bit more upside than either of those two.

Why: They are committed to him but I think they would be hoping to get Harry McKay later. If not you wonder of Schache and Collins might not be a better pairing. Will be interesting and when I look back at this years did they get their combinations right

# 2 Brisbane - Josh Schache (Murray Bushrangers / 199cm / 96kg)

Exceptional talent and one of the best key forward prospects I have seen in a while. He is a very talented player who has great height and knows how to lead to the right spots and work his opponent over. Has a good leap on him and his hands are very good and he is reliable shot for goal. He is a big boy and loves to put a bit of fear into defenders so there is a lot to like about this kid. His work at ground level is competitive and he will work the other way and has the athletic ability to apply pressure as well.

Why: How good is getting Schache and Hipwood. Sit back and enjoy Lions fans…..will be a great pairing in 5 years time……bugger!!!

# 3 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills (NSW / 186cm / 80kg)

Why: Melbourne should and will bid on him.

# 4 Melbourne - Charlie Curnow (Geelong Falcons / 191cm / 95kg)

Real shame that we didn’t get to see Charlie at his best all year but what we saw late was very good. Stringer type who I think he could well have been a legitimate 2-3 selection if we had have seen more. Tall powerful type who has the endurance to play a few different roles including the middle but for mine suited to that medium forward type role where he can use his physical and endurance attributes to really work over his opponent offensively. Like Stringer could be played higher or dropped as a main target one out. Has terrific hands and a good ball user albeit his testing didn’t really show that off.

Why: It will be bloody hard to look past Parish but I just think Curnow might be the better long term player and a better fit with Melbourne’s current mids. Comes from a family of endurance athletes and he is one to. He is big and could ultimately play mid / HF. I would look past Weideman and land McKay later.

# 5 GWS - Jacob Hopper (NSW & North Ballarat / 186cm / 82kg)

Why: Expect Dodoro will make GWS pay as much as possible

# 6 Essendon - Darcy Parish (Geelong Falcons / 181cm / 74kg)

Terrific player who have seen plenty of. Probably not as big as you want your midfielders these days but he ticks nearly every box. Very clever player around the stoppages who can win it and create space through the congestion to get away and clear the ball. Actually has real bounce about him and would think he would be a hard player to track and stay on top of as he is always on the move. As a bottom ager I thought he was a bit outside but he was a terrific ball winner this year and has really rounded him out. His ball skills are very good (averages circa 70% DE) and he is particularly good at using lateral kicks to create the play and set team mates up. His vision is elite and his spacial awareness very good to. Just doesn't really get flustered. From a defensive aspect notwithstanding the frame he loves to tackle and whilst an average 2-3 at champs / TAC he isn't averse to it but it is an area he could do some more work on to try and get that up around 5+ per game. Always love to watch how these kids go vs men and really rated his performance for the Academy side vs Blues and Werribee. He was hard at it and really competitive and I think the game vs the Blues was particularly good. Only knock is he didn't test that well at the combine which i was surprised by because when you watch him that is not the sense you get. Not sure where he will start at AFL level. He has shown he is very good off a HB flank, demonstrated this year he is a very good all round midfielder and has pushed forward as well to kick goals.

Why: I think Dodora will be over the moon with whatever he lands but Parish would be perfect for Essendon. If not him I think they would take Curnow. Curnow, Langford and Laverde would be a good mid group to build around so good either way. Reckon Milera an outside chance.

# 7 Essendon - Sam Weideman (Eastern Ranges / 196cm / 91kg)

Terrific young prospect who we just didn't get to see enough of this year but the little we did was super impressive. He did show us a fair bit last year as a bottom ager and suspect had Gary Pert trying to get grandsons included in the F/S rules. Presents as the best tall forward in this draft albeit Harry McKay pretty close for mine. Sam is a natural forward unlike guys like Boyd etc who have been drafted high in previous years. I think coaches really value key forwards that haven't got their success camped in the goal square clunking marks but rather kids who understand how, when and where to lead. He has real speed and many will find it hard to close space on him once he is ahead of them. Once he has the space ahead of him he will use his long arms and good hands to clunk them and his finishing is generally pretty good albeit has scope for some improvement. The knock I have on him is his consistency but that happens a lot with young talls and his kicking at times is a bit erratic. Loads of potential for mine.

Why: Need support for Daniher and am not sold it is Sam…..i think it could well be Harry McKay. Either way I cant see them waiting any longer than this pick to select a key forward because history says the good ones need to be taken early. Plenty of good mids etc at the next 2 picks for them. Francis, Oliver and Milera would be tempting for them.

# 8 Gold Coast - Aaron Francis (West Adelaide / 191cm / 86kg)

Great prospect and whoever lands him will be happy. Natural footballer in the Luke Hodge type of mould. Can play anywhere and really influences and controls games. Terrific aerial player and is an elite mark of the footy. Will use it off either side and has an elite kick on both which coupled with his decision makes him an ideal type to set plays and stay to team structure from the back half which is where I think he will at least start but he does have the scope and the results to suggest midfield and forward at times. Also spent time playing senior footy as well in the SANFL and performed really well. I think he will be a round 1 player for his side. My only query is athletically how gifted is he.

Why: Think it will be hard for the Suns and this pick shapes the next 7 for mine. Do they go with Sam or Harry to replace Charlie….I decided not as Wright is a terrific prospect and hence I would go with best available and Francis is it. For mine Milera is a chance but they took Gartlett last year and think they may go a different direction.

# 9 Brisbane Lions - Eric Hipwood (QLD / 200cm / 82kg)

Wow this kid is a prospect. I actually think he good be the best player this draft produces. His ceiling is huge and he has so much talent its frightening. Has shown through his champ and NEAFL performances that he can play at a very high level and be not only productive but very influential. I think many of his draft watchers probably saw his game vs Tas when he just dominated them and arguably had the most dominant performance of anyone in the champs. Got great agility and elite speed (20m sub 3s) and is very adept at reading the ball either end of the ground. He can defend and intercept, he can lead and do it wisely and has a good pair of hands on him and in fact his contested marking is a real feature. Some of his games for the Lions post Champs very good. Saw a couple and super impressive.

Why: Kid could well become the best player of this draft. Superstar! The bid may come much earlier.

# 10 Melbourne - Harry McKay (Gippsland Power / 200cm / 85kg)

Big powerful unit with terrific athletic attributes. Bit of a revelation this year and has shown can play a number of roles. Still very raw but will develop into a terrific athlete with plenty of strength and the ability to play forward or back. Seen him forward and he works hard to create space and marking opportunities. Has terrific hands and takes a strong grab and is a lovely kick. Good on the ground as well and not much the kids cant do. He has tended to come in and out of games a bit but taller types often do and clubs know whilst he has a way to go there is an enormous amount to work with. Also remember he is only 8 days off being a 2016 draftee and hence would not surprise me to be the first key forward chosen. Huge upside.

Why: I think Melbourne would be very keen to get a partner for Hogan and this kid is made to play CHF. 3-4 years time could be a terrific pairing and having blokes like Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem, Tyson, Stretch etc feeding them. Could hit Oliver or Collins but Harry a best fit so I’d take him.

1. Weitering (Carl) BS
2. Schache (Bris) CT
3. Mills (Syd) CT
4. Parish (Melb) BS
5. Francis (Ess) CT
6. Hopper (GWS) CT
7. Kennedy (GWS) CT
8. Weideman (Ess) BS
9. Oliver (GC) CT
10. Curnow (Melb) BS
That would be a dream scenario. Can't see Curnow getting past Essendon and if we take Parish I'm thinking we get Weideman with our next pick.

This is Snoop Dog's most recent draft. Interesting comments about him believing that McKay is a best fit for us. What does everyone think about this as a probable/possible scenario for us?

# 1 Carlton - Jacob Weitering (Dandenong Stingrays / 195cm / 94kg)

Its line ball for me between Schache and Weitering. I think they are both fantastic prospects but I think Blues just need to go with the kid that has not downsides and that you could be your Captain in a few years time when Murphy hands over. He is an exceptional kid and a proven and respected leader. His footy does all the talking he needs. I prefer him at CHB than anywhere else where I think he reads the play very well, is dominant in the air and uses the ball with real precision both short and long. Watch him closely and moves the back half around and gets them into position and is that real leader all good back lines need. For mine he is a bit of cross between Carlisle and Taylor but he potentially has a bit more upside than either of those two.

Why: They are committed to him but I think they would be hoping to get Harry McKay later. If not you wonder of Schache and Collins might not be a better pairing. Will be interesting and when I look back at this years did they get their combinations right

# 2 Brisbane - Josh Schache (Murray Bushrangers / 199cm / 96kg)

Exceptional talent and one of the best key forward prospects I have seen in a while. He is a very talented player who has great height and knows how to lead to the right spots and work his opponent over. Has a good leap on him and his hands are very good and he is reliable shot for goal. He is a big boy and loves to put a bit of fear into defenders so there is a lot to like about this kid. His work at ground level is competitive and he will work the other way and has the athletic ability to apply pressure as well.

Why: How good is getting Schache and Hipwood. Sit back and enjoy Lions fans…..will be a great pairing in 5 years time……bugger!!!

# 3 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills (NSW / 186cm / 80kg)

Why: Melbourne should and will bid on him.

# 4 Melbourne - Charlie Curnow (Geelong Falcons / 191cm / 95kg)

Real shame that we didn’t get to see Charlie at his best all year but what we saw late was very good. Stringer type who I think he could well have been a legitimate 2-3 selection if we had have seen more. Tall powerful type who has the endurance to play a few different roles including the middle but for mine suited to that medium forward type role where he can use his physical and endurance attributes to really work over his opponent offensively. Like Stringer could be played higher or dropped as a main target one out. Has terrific hands and a good ball user albeit his testing didn’t really show that off.

Why: It will be bloody hard to look past Parish but I just think Curnow might be the better long term player and a better fit with Melbourne’s current mids. Comes from a family of endurance athletes and he is one to. He is big and could ultimately play mid / HF. I would look past Weideman and land McKay later.

# 5 GWS - Jacob Hopper (NSW & North Ballarat / 186cm / 82kg)

Why: Expect Dodoro will make GWS pay as much as possible

# 6 Essendon - Darcy Parish (Geelong Falcons / 181cm / 74kg)

Terrific player who have seen plenty of. Probably not as big as you want your midfielders these days but he ticks nearly every box. Very clever player around the stoppages who can win it and create space through the congestion to get away and clear the ball. Actually has real bounce about him and would think he would be a hard player to track and stay on top of as he is always on the move. As a bottom ager I thought he was a bit outside but he was a terrific ball winner this year and has really rounded him out. His ball skills are very good (averages circa 70% DE) and he is particularly good at using lateral kicks to create the play and set team mates up. His vision is elite and his spacial awareness very good to. Just doesn't really get flustered. From a defensive aspect notwithstanding the frame he loves to tackle and whilst an average 2-3 at champs / TAC he isn't averse to it but it is an area he could do some more work on to try and get that up around 5+ per game. Always love to watch how these kids go vs men and really rated his performance for the Academy side vs Blues and Werribee. He was hard at it and really competitive and I think the game vs the Blues was particularly good. Only knock is he didn't test that well at the combine which i was surprised by because when you watch him that is not the sense you get. Not sure where he will start at AFL level. He has shown he is very good off a HB flank, demonstrated this year he is a very good all round midfielder and has pushed forward as well to kick goals.

Why: I think Dodora will be over the moon with whatever he lands but Parish would be perfect for Essendon. If not him I think they would take Curnow. Curnow, Langford and Laverde would be a good mid group to build around so good either way. Reckon Milera an outside chance.

# 7 Essendon - Sam Weideman (Eastern Ranges / 196cm / 91kg)

Terrific young prospect who we just didn't get to see enough of this year but the little we did was super impressive. He did show us a fair bit last year as a bottom ager and suspect had Gary Pert trying to get grandsons included in the F/S rules. Presents as the best tall forward in this draft albeit Harry McKay pretty close for mine. Sam is a natural forward unlike guys like Boyd etc who have been drafted high in previous years. I think coaches really value key forwards that haven't got their success camped in the goal square clunking marks but rather kids who understand how, when and where to lead. He has real speed and many will find it hard to close space on him once he is ahead of them. Once he has the space ahead of him he will use his long arms and good hands to clunk them and his finishing is generally pretty good albeit has scope for some improvement. The knock I have on him is his consistency but that happens a lot with young talls and his kicking at times is a bit erratic. Loads of potential for mine.

Why: Need support for Daniher and am not sold it is Sam…..i think it could well be Harry McKay. Either way I cant see them waiting any longer than this pick to select a key forward because history says the good ones need to be taken early. Plenty of good mids etc at the next 2 picks for them. Francis, Oliver and Milera would be tempting for them.

# 8 Gold Coast - Aaron Francis (West Adelaide / 191cm / 86kg)

Great prospect and whoever lands him will be happy. Natural footballer in the Luke Hodge type of mould. Can play anywhere and really influences and controls games. Terrific aerial player and is an elite mark of the footy. Will use it off either side and has an elite kick on both which coupled with his decision makes him an ideal type to set plays and stay to team structure from the back half which is where I think he will at least start but he does have the scope and the results to suggest midfield and forward at times. Also spent time playing senior footy as well in the SANFL and performed really well. I think he will be a round 1 player for his side. My only query is athletically how gifted is he.

Why: Think it will be hard for the Suns and this pick shapes the next 7 for mine. Do they go with Sam or Harry to replace Charlie….I decided not as Wright is a terrific prospect and hence I would go with best available and Francis is it. For mine Milera is a chance but they took Gartlett last year and think they may go a different direction.

# 9 Brisbane Lions - Eric Hipwood (QLD / 200cm / 82kg)

Wow this kid is a prospect. I actually think he good be the best player this draft produces. His ceiling is huge and he has so much talent its frightening. Has shown through his champ and NEAFL performances that he can play at a very high level and be not only productive but very influential. I think many of his draft watchers probably saw his game vs Tas when he just dominated them and arguably had the most dominant performance of anyone in the champs. Got great agility and elite speed (20m sub 3s) and is very adept at reading the ball either end of the ground. He can defend and intercept, he can lead and do it wisely and has a good pair of hands on him and in fact his contested marking is a real feature. Some of his games for the Lions post Champs very good. Saw a couple and super impressive.

Why: Kid could well become the best player of this draft. Superstar! The bid may come much earlier.

# 10 Melbourne - Harry McKay (Gippsland Power / 200cm / 85kg)

Big powerful unit with terrific athletic attributes. Bit of a revelation this year and has shown can play a number of roles. Still very raw but will develop into a terrific athlete with plenty of strength and the ability to play forward or back. Seen him forward and he works hard to create space and marking opportunities. Has terrific hands and takes a strong grab and is a lovely kick. Good on the ground as well and not much the kids cant do. He has tended to come in and out of games a bit but taller types often do and clubs know whilst he has a way to go there is an enormous amount to work with. Also remember he is only 8 days off being a 2016 draftee and hence would not surprise me to be the first key forward chosen. Huge upside.

Why: I think Melbourne would be very keen to get a partner for Hogan and this kid is made to play CHF. 3-4 years time could be a terrific pairing and having blokes like Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem, Tyson, Stretch etc feeding them. Could hit Oliver or Collins but Harry a best fit so I’d take him.
Can't see us taking Curnow and then McKay. Only if we genuinely see Curnow as a player that will play predominantly up the field and through the midfield.

So we're going by one person over the majority now? Also Emma often doesn't do her drafts based on who is best but rather how she thinks the draft will go based on info she gets.

Yes. I wonder when I'm reading a mock draft whether this is where players are genuinely rated or just whether that's where someone's "heard" they're going. I think a lot of people lean towards the latter; it's not about who the better player is, it's about getting close to the actual draft order and preening feathers if the mock drafter gets the top 10 pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back