List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it wrong to think that Weideman is the only one mooted that I don't want? I mean I've read all the blurbs and seen the highlights packages, but Weideman just feels off to me.

Is it wrong to think that Weideman is the only one mooted that I don't want? I mean I've read all the blurbs and seen the highlights packages, but Weideman just feels off to me.
In what way?

Underdeveloped? Not enough mongrel? Skills? Character?

In what way?

Underdeveloped? Not enough mongrel? Skills? Character?

That's the thing, I don't really know why, just a feeling that he's the top 10 pick most likely to end up a spud...

Maybe he feels like one of those guys who is a footy player simply because they're good at footy, and don't have much else going on. They're not driven by anything, if you know what I mean. I see Jack Watts as that type, by the way.

I honestly think we were always gonna take Parish. Thats why we traded for pick 3. In regards to your picks, I definitely agree that you guys will take Oliver, he is a good fit. I also think you guys need a forward to help Daniher. Whether that be Curnow or Weideman. My latest mail is that you guys have been heavily into Oliver, Francis and Weideman in the last week or so and have cooled on Parish and Curnow. I think they will go Oliver and 1 of Weideman and Curnow, whichever they see the better player and the better fit. Gold Coast will snap up Francis and we will take which ever forward you passed on at 4/5

Exactly my thoughts. Parish is the only one who is no chance of getting past Essendon, which to me says that's why we traded up. Essendon should be going after a mid, and Oliver fits the bill, then taking Weideman or Curnow, the remaining one shouldnt be of nearly as much interest to Gold Coast as Francis should be, leaving him for us.

That's the thing, I don't really know why, just a feeling that he's the top 10 pick most likely to end up a spud...

Maybe he feels like one of those guys who is a footy player simply because they're good at footy, and don't have much else going on. They're not driven by anything, if you know what I mean. I see Jack Watts as that type, by the way.
Yeah I think the key to good drafting is picking fewer players who are good at footy ;)

I feel the exact same way.. cant put my finger on it

Do we actually have any reason to all be believing that GC will not take one of Parish/Curnow/Weidemann if available?

Would you rather have Essendon's picks 4 & 5, or our picks 3 & 7? I'd prefer the bomber's picks personally.

With 4 & 5 we could guarantee either the Parish and Oliver combo or the Curnow and Oliver combo. Both of these options appeal to me more than the Parish and 'Mystery Player X' we will get at 7.

the fact that I'd prefer the bomber's draft position to ours tells me that after Weitering and Schache are taken its all pretty even for the next handful of picks (disregarding the zone selection picks).

Chances are that Essendon will be interested in the same sort of players early on as we are aswel. I don't buy the 'Essendon will want Weiderman to help out Daniher' argument anymore than I do the same argument but applied to Melbourne and Hogan. They are just as deficient in the midfield as they are their forward line and I think they'll look at Oliver at pick 5 and grab whoever we don't take out of Parish and Curnow at pick 4.

I'm also of the opinion that Weiderman is a high risk.

Do we actually have any reason to all be believing that GC will not take one of Parish/Curnow/Weidemann if available?
I can't see why GC wouldn't take Curnow when all year they were after Howe as a third tall, and now they've lost Dixon too.

Yeah I think the key to good drafting is picking fewer players who are good at footy ;)

Lol, yes. However, all AFL players are 'good at footy', but the really good players have something else driving them... or are just freakishly talented.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also agree with you. His injury history. Especially our curse on key forwards early in their Demon careers. From Schwartz to Molan to Clark. even Hogan last year

I can't see why GC wouldn't take Curnow when all year they were after Howe as a third tall, and now they've lost Dixon too.
My mate who is in recruiting at GWS reckons it's pretty common knowledge that GC will lose Prestia and O'Meara next year, add to this there is serious concerns that Gaz is done with one more decent injury and has 2 years max left in him and GWS is leaning to best available mid (except Balic) in their mocks.

GWS believe that if it were in GC position it has enough to cover Dixon with its talls but losing Gaz, Prestia and O'Meara in one hit would decimate its midfield and most likely send it to the bottom of the ladder again.

Not driven by anything? Love assumptions about a person based on a sport.

Not driven by anything? Love assumptions about a person based on a sport.

Sheesh, not driven to be the best player that they can be. I think Watts has confidence issues as well, but it's all part of the same thing. How else would you explain him?

Reminding me a lot of Tom Boyd in his draft year. Talent 'obvious' but doesn't play all year. Great size, but no runs on the board.

My concern is everyone is looking at his measurables without considering where he played and who against.

They'd take Parish, but I doubt he'll be available.

With Bennell gone, Ablett aging, and rumours of Prestia and OMaera moving on, I think they need more runners.

They already have Tom Lynch as their key forward, and talk is that they're very happy with what they've seen of Wright so far.

I can't see them taking Curnow and certainly not Weideman.

For me my ideal combination is Parish and Weideman. Parish is exactly the type of mid we need to complete our midfield, runs all day, precision foot skills, and can win his own ball inside aswell. I think we need one more dominant marking forward so im going with Weideman over Curnow, one of Cal Twomey or sanderson said that he could be the biggest steal of the draft at essendons pick 5, and for me curnow isn't quick enough to be a key forward and i dont know why he gets compared to stringer when he's alot slower and his field kicking is average. Weideman just needs to improve his endurance and he'll by a top talent at afl level

Sheesh, not driven to be the best player that they can be. I think Watts has confidence issues as well, but it's all part of the same thing. How else would you explain him?

I was just talking in general terms - 'not a lot else going on' kind of suggests you aren't just talking football.

For Watts - we know he hasn't been driven to be the best, as well as some other issues.

For Weideman - we really have no idea and it's probably unfair to speculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back