2nds 2015 NEAFL discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF, even Lionel Ritchie is getting a game for us now:D

tumblr_lqtiskqGoV1qb5gkjo1_500.jpg

Can only be a good thing. He was BOG in the 2010 GF.

Reckon Harley worked up a hard earned thirst after that big effort, and a hard earned thirst deserves an ice cold beer...oh wait

Has anyone ever thought that maybe he functions better when he's allowed to drink? I know plenty of people who do.

Guess that's how all good nicknames start.....VB - Harley Bennell..

When you see the stuff we took on as "projects" over the past 6 years, you'd think we were the AFL talent Reserve Bank
Couple that with some dodgy mature talent and its no surprise our list depth is so shallow

Another great effort from the boys on the back of some class added to the team this week.

A.Boston - i believe he has taken his game to the next level , only thing holding him back is his fitness , had 18 poss till half time more than anyone on the ground , and faded , not as bad as last week , in the coming weeks he will play a full game than watch out.
P.Wright - had some sublime delivery from Harley , kicked 2.3 , all 3 points hit the post , is really getting better every week.
T.Downie - looked like Wayne Carey for 10 mins in the 3rd , kicked 4 goals in 10 mins went through 3 different opponents , should of kicked 7 missed some easy ones , has got some good football nous and skill.
H.Bennell - was in a different league to anyone else on the ground.
B.Matera - worked his ass off , ran all day will be in seniors next week.
K.Brooksby - feel for Keegan , should be playing senior footy but for a change we have 2 fully fit ruckman at our disposal . Reminds me of your Mumford type , just a workhorse up and down the ground and has put on 3 outstanding performances in the last 4 weeks.
J.Hall - has been bloody terrible so far this year , and the first half was no different , did some nice things in the 2nd half before succumb to a ankle injury.
J.Ellis - Played on Josh Hunt who is your built like a brick shithouse , i dare say he would'nt of played on him if we had a better team on the park , but with 10 academy players it was Jared's job .
J.Leslie - played on Jack Anthony the former Coll player who kicked 7 last week , did well there where stages where it was being bombarded in the backline , but Jack held his own.
D.Stanley - Played a little angry did Danny , got in a few scuffles and as the game wore on really dominated , thought he was just behind Harley for BOG
D.Mutu - Top up/ Academy player , has played a few games for us now , this was his best , showed great skill , is a liitle on the smallish side
L.Ritchie - was dancing on the ceiling.

Last edited:
Kudo's to Jared Brennan who went Josh Hall when he went down with injury to see if he was ok , spent a good 30 sec with thinking it was bad , game wass in the balance at the time.

Can someone give me a rundown on Brooksby? I've never seen him play, but I think it's pretty obvious that Smith and Nicholls just aren't going to cut it.

Mumford came from the rookie list for Geelong before moving to Sydney and winning a premiership, only to move cross-city to the Giants thanks to the Buddy deal ruining the Swans' salary cap. Mumford is easily the best ruckman in the league. Watching him dominate the Hawks last night proves how valuable a great ruckman is. I'm hoping Brooksby is our saviour.

It's like comparing Big Show (Mumford) with a blind and mentally handicapped Ray Mysterio (Smith).

Can someone give me a rundown on Brooksby? I've never seen him play, but I think it's pretty obvious that Smith and Nicholls just aren't going to cut it.

Mumford came from the rookie list for Geelong before moving to Sydney and winning a premiership, only to move cross-city to the Giants thanks to the Buddy deal ruining the Swans' salary cap. Mumford is easily the best ruckman in the league. Watching him dominate the Hawks last night proves how valuable a great ruckman is. I'm hoping Brooksby is our saviour.

It's like comparing Big Show (Mumford) with a blind and mentally handicapped Ray Mysterio (Smith).

Got the similar body shape of a Mumford/Pyke type , has a awkward kicking style but effective . Is more than a useful forward , has kicked 6 goals in 4 games so far . Is really a workhorse that works up and down the ground and breaks the packs open . I have no doubt he'll make an impression if given the chance to play at senior level but while Tom and Zac are up and running i cant see him being elevated.

Got the similar body shape of a Mumford/Pyke type , has a awkward kicking style but effective . Is more than a useful forward , has kicked 6 goals in 4 games so far . Is really a workhorse that works up and down the ground and breaks the packs open . I have no doubt he'll make an impression if given the chance to play at senior level but while Tom and Zac are up and running i cant see him being elevated.
It's definitely not just the fans who realize that Smith and a Nicholls aren't our future. I'm positive Rocket saw glimpses of something when picking Brooksby - I hope he'll be our Mumford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Brooksby will ever really be a quality league ruckman - purely looking at his size and athletic ability. There seem to be 2 types of ruckman in the league. The super tall lanky types 202cm+ Eg. Smith, Witts, Leuenberger and then the shorter but very solid and agile types. Grundy, Mumford, Maric.

I think Brooksby is neither the first or second. 197cm..very short for a ruckman these days. Hes a man at 99kg but not agile athlete. Think hes a great pickup as a NEAFL ruckman to give the young mids a chance at actually roving to a winning ruckman (last year mainly had top ups as our rucks) but don't think he has much of a chance of being a upper echelon AFL ruckman

Not sure Brooksby will ever really be a quality league ruckman - purely looking at his size and athletic ability. There seem to be 2 types of ruckman in the league. The super tall lanky types 202cm+ Eg. Smith, Witts, Leuenberger and then the shorter but very solid and agile types. Grundy, Mumford, Maric.

I think Brooksby is neither the first or second. 197cm..very short for a ruckman these days. Hes a man at 99kg but not agile athlete. Think hes a great pickup as a NEAFL ruckman to give the young mids a chance at actually roving to a winning ruckman (last year mainly had top ups as our rucks) but don't think he has much of a chance of being a upper echelon AFL ruckman
Cheers for the insight!

interested to know who brooksby is rucking against the past couple weeks. i keep seeing these big numbers and compare them to the output of zac/tom. can we at least give him a go at the top level? haha

interested to know who brooksby is rucking against the past couple weeks. i keep seeing these big numbers and compare them to the output of zac/tom. can we at least give him a go at the top level? haha
When your reserves played our reserves we had 3 ruckmen in our team 2 weeks ago in Naismith (1 game last year and emergency for the first 5 weeks), Derickx (played seniors last year) and Nankervis (emergency for some rounds last year). And he had great numbers that day too.

Article in today's Bulletin said Brooksby was there BOG on Saturday even though Bennell had a blinder.

It said he had 27 touches, 11 clearances, 41 hit outs. Massive stats for a ruckman. Maybe he will be elevated?

It also said 7 Southport Sharks listed players that didn't get a game for the Sharks actually played for the Suns on the weekend due to new NEAFL rules.

Article in today's Bulletin said Brooksby was there BOG on Saturday even though Bennell had a blinder.

It said he had 27 touches, 11 clearances, 41 hit outs. Massive stats for a ruckman. Maybe he will be elevated?

It also said 7 Southport Sharks listed players that didn't get a game for the Sharks actually played for the Suns on the weekend due to new NEAFL rules.

Im not sure the NEAFL comp can be taken super serious when the oppostion give 7 players to you for the day.

Neafl team named today to play GWS , has a few boys coming back from injury ( Gorringe , Tape ) , still only 12 listed players playing , will be a good effort to get close to them today.

http://www.neafl.com.au/fileadmin/t..._Weekly_Team_Sheet_-_Gold_Coast_Suns_Rd_7.pdf

Players missing from both seniors and reserves this week

G.Ablett
J.Garlett
J.O'Meara
D.Swallow
N.Malcheski
S.Day
S.May
J.Martin
R.Thompson
C.Cameron
J.Glenn

11 players is still a pretty big injury list , but we have had a good 3-4 come back into the mix this week.

GWS 122
GOLD 106 FT

Good effort from the boys to get so close with so many players down , Boston had 35 poss , is now imo got to go straight into the team , fitness is now up , its Bozzo time .

Peter Wright kicked 4.2 another who has to be close to a call up
Matty Shaw 39 poss
Z.Smith 5 poss WTF

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2015 NEAFL discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back