2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL tweaks high-contact rule to prevent players 'driving' into tackles after push for safety
Posted yesterday at 10:03pm

Photo: Players will no longer be rewarded for "driving" their heads into opposition players. (AAP: Mal Fairclough)

Map: Melbourne 3000
The AFL has made a rare mid-season tweak to high-contact rules, citing a groundswell of support for player safety.

From this weekend on, umpires will be encouraged to pay free kicks to players in possession that "drive" with their heads into other players.

The "drivers" will have to dispose of the ball or instead hear the umpire's whistle and a free kick paid to his tackler.

The AFL's guideline now reads: "Any movement where a player drives or leads with their head into a stationary or near-stationary tackler will be deemed as a drive and will be umpired as the player with the ball having had prior opportunity."

"The player must immediately kick or handball or a free kick for holding the ball, under the prior opportunity rule, will be paid against him."

Umpires boss Wayne Campbell said it was brought in as a safety issue, with Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson and Sydney coach John Longmire vocal supporters.

While tacklers will still be closely watched for high contact, Campbell said it was important that players with the ball played their part as well.

"We've incentivised someone to go in head first," he told Fox Footy.

"We think the onus has been put all onto the tackler to protect the player's head.

"We just think maybe players with the ball are taking advantage of that ... (and) we just want to shift the onus a little bit towards the player with the ball as well."

While the move is being introduced mid-season, it will not take coaches by surprise.

AFL football operations chief Mark Evans said the umpiring department had flagged a move in mid-May.

The AFL is seeking to encourage good technique when players are picking up the ball by turning their bodies to protect their heads, he said.

Just do not call it a rule change.

"It's not a rule change but it is an interpretation change," Campbell said.

See above.

Regards,

I totally get the new rule change. I think it's great !! Should have been done years ago in my opinion. What I was referring to was the footage in the vid you linked. Nat Edwards and Hayden Kennedy cant tell the difference between Matt Crouch and Chris Mayne, or apparently a Crows jumper and a Freo jumper. Didn't anyone edit or watch the footage before it was posted ??

Qafl - do you know why guise has left broady? Would have imagined left pbc to play More consistent senior AP level footy - interesting to find out why he sort a clearance to play Friday night qafl b - and I don't mean that in any way shape or form to be offensive to anyone playing in this div!

He could be in a trade or job where he is expected to work on a Saturday. Maybe he just wants to play footy with his mates if he came from out that way originally? There are any number of reasons why people choose to play in this comp, but the Friday night thing is a big drawcard.

Qafl - do you know why guise has left broady? Would have imagined left pbc to play More consistent senior AP level footy - interesting to find out why he sort a clearance to play Friday night qafl b - and I don't mean that in any way shape or form to be offensive to anyone playing in this div!

No idea. However, as much as I espouse the quality of this league and how it caters for people who want to keep their weekends free - Guise is not a guy who I think should be playing in this comp. He should be playing senior footy for a QAFL Club and pursuing a NEAFL spot.

Why he left and why he plays in this league is his business. However, I imagine if it were reasons unrelated to footy - there would be plenty of other QAFL clubs knocking on his door, or at least some QFA ones. I'm sure you blokes at Robina could put him to good use!

2 left feet and qafl - all very fair and valid points - as I said wasn't looking to pot him or the div.

I think it's great there is an alternative for blokes who can't play on a Saturday.

Don't worry qafl we could do with about 6 of him!!

My understanding is that he was very much wanted by the Broady 1's.

However, he lives at Jimboomba and either works or studies on the sunny coast. This resulted in difficulties getting to training, and he had to play ressies.

Instead of playing Ressies, he would rather play at his junior club with his mates in the 1's.

Good bloke and cracking player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simple answer is he is a redback player who has work commitments and many friends still playing for the redbacks so rather than being unable to fullfill his wish at Broadbeach he asked to come back and l applied for his clearance.
He is one guy out of 22 but one player don't win premiership

Guise is not a guy who I think should be playing in this comp. He should be playing senior footy for a QAFL Club and pursuing a NEAFL spot.

Why he left and why he plays in this league is his business. However, I imagine if it were reasons unrelated to footy - there would be plenty of other QAFL clubs knocking on his door, or at least some QFA ones. I'm sure you blokes at Robina could put him to good use!
Lets just get one thing straight im sure Jacob could play for any club but he is currently with the Redbacks who he played his juniors He aint going no where else for the season and l doubt he will next season however on the plus side he is getting about 2 goals and 10 touches less than 2 others in the centre of the ground so maybe he not the guy you need to worry about .Down at the redbacks land just because you leave don't mean we turn our back on you everybody is welcome playing or ex player. As for thinking he shouldn't be playing he is no different than the centre man who have won the past 2 grand finals or dickfos in fact he is just talented which he learnt being a redback

Prob the only opportunity for either team to have a win, scores could look more like a game of soccer 2-1
your kidding one team has 3 sides and their seniors and ressies are giving a bye on derby week great stuff governing body eagles by 200 plus with hardly any 3rd players im thinking

Cheers Thommo.

Wasn't a loaded question just was curious that's all.

Redback don't recall anyone ever questioning you blokes turning your back on juniors or anything of the like - apologies for asking what I thought was a relatively innocuous question!

Yep it does happen, but you can't blame the comp !! If and when it happens, that lands solely on the club responsible.
IF the rules allow it to happen then some clubs will do it . To stop it happening there should be rules in place.

So it is the leagues role to put in place rules that stop the dropping down of so many upper division players. The junior leagues have rules in place , sounds like the Seniors need similar rules.

Given Ipswich usually stock half their side with UQ blokes, but their seniors and ressies have a bye. you would expect they would have a few ressies guys running around to stock up the numbers - thats for sure.

Pre season meeting at AFLQ, it was mentioned the problem of teams dropping players and loading up lower division teams to get a win. AFLQ did say they would be keeping an eye out for it as it's not permitted.

Same old boring story. If a club has 3 teams and they are permitted to have players play within each grade then it becomes the clubs decision and it would be based on many factors. How do you assess a list of a club for 3 teams on who is a senior, reserve or third grade player to list per division. If there is an advantage in a thirds team playing a senior player on a given week it surely does not out weigh the benefits of a standalone club that has their selection of top end players each week. So if it's to be considered the league's fault it would not be because of lack of a rule (though I think there is a rule that QAFL players cannot play in this Division) it would be more the case that the division is not graded adequately. If a 6'5" bloke who can play a bit walks into a club that has three teams, would he likely be playing thirds?? Same player walks into a one team club where does he play??
If Ipswich Eagles were playing Kedron this week, would it be ok for them to field a stronger team and if you were in a position to do so would you not entertain it??

I think its perfectly reasonable for seniors players to have a run in the 3's. It's also reasonable for guys to have a run in the 3's if the 1's and 2's have a week off and they need match fitness.

eg. Lovett playing for Coorparoo this year in the 3's and them defeating Sandgate. He was coming back from injury and can't play at 11am on a Saturday.

The only time I disagree with it, was in the case of Yeronga last year where they outwardly weakened their reserves to strengthen their 3's when both were playing on the same weekend, to the point where they were chasing players for their 2's because they were short!

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Back