List Mgmt. 2015 ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Adel is our biggest threat with graham and mckernan gone they have to get another ruck

That said i know from a good source they almost had hin late in the last trade period after mumford moved but the deal fell through because sando wouldnt commit to playing 2 rucks in the same side and giles wants to pkay senior footy.

Not sure if sando has changed his tune now though

May be just as big an issue for him here.
Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Adel is our biggest threat with graham and mckernan gone they have to get another ruck

That said i know from a good source they almost had hin late in the last trade period after mumford moved but the deal fell through because sando wouldnt commit to playing 2 rucks in the same side and giles wants to play senior footy.

For our sake then I hope he's bloody stubborn :D

That said i know from a good source they almost had hin late in the last trade period after mumford moved but the deal fell through because sando wouldnt commit to playing 2 rucks in the same side and giles wants to play senior footy.

Who do we turn to, in your opinion, if we miss out on Giles?

May be just as big an issue for him here.
Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Not really because we have blitz who can play alongside a no1 ruck as he can play other positions.jacobs cant play fwd or back so its hard for them to fit 2 rucks in.

With hamish and dawson injured (i still think one will go this year) giles would be a good chance to start as 1st ruck

Who do we turn to, in your opinion, if we miss out on Giles?

Lowden if he isnt committed elsewhere,and if he is then sinclair. These guys are blocked by good rucks at their clubs and the ones most likely to want to move to a club that can give them opportunities.

Thanks.

Would our strategy be influenced if we were to lose both HMac and Simpson?

We would probably need 2 mature rucks then i think,or a trade and a state league option (like the dogs got with campbell)

We would probably need 2 mature rucks then i think,or a trade and a state league option (like the dogs got with campbell)

I get the feeling Simpson might have too many physical barriers to overcome, and HMac might have those and mental hurdles too

think we are stuck with both
should not say stuck.But think they will remain and the club will look for a ruckman in the draft
which i like to see

see the recruiters busy this time as there holes that need fixing in the list

Following the story today that Lucey has/will sign a 2 year deal, there's rumours that we're after this guy in the National Draft - Sam Baulderstone. 23 years of age, lost 40kg's to play SANFL footy, apparently the Bombers were looking at him last year but changed their mind. Played in Norwood's 2013 premiership.

(As of the start of the 2014 season): 200cm, 113kg.

Nor-Sam-Baulderstone-1.jpg
18%20Sam%20Baulderstone.jpg

10580846_736954869686047_4196348951151846822_o.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar to the Mumford story where he lost weight to play vfl and then we rookied him.

rumours that we're after this guy in the National Draft - Sam Baulderstone. 23 years of age, lost 40kg's to play SANFL footy, apparently the Bombers were looking at him last year but changed their mind. Played in Norwood's 2013 premiership.

Following the story today that Lucey has/will sign a 2 year deal, there's rumours that we're after this guy in the National Draft - Sam Baulderstone. 23 years of age, lost 40kg's to play SANFL footy, apparently the Bombers were looking at him last year but changed their mind. Played in Norwood's 2013 premiership.

Interest piqued. It's the kind of move I favour for 2015 season with a big fish (no, not Paul Salmon) target in October 2015 when we have the money and HMac retiring.

I really like these types of individuals. They may not be blessed with the natural skills of others but sometimes when you come across people who are willing to completely alter their lifestyle for the sake of following a dream, it shows their mental strength and drive.
This is something you really need in a footballer and we've seen just how good Mumford was able to become at AFL level.

Definitely worth a look and only 23 still so plenty of upside.

Should throw the kitchen sink at Ryder, Port have joined the race for his services.

Would be filthy if we didn't look into it. Would be perfect for our needs and can go forward as well.
I really rate Ryder, he would be great for us, but maybe we need one fully fit ruckman that is 203cm+, as I don't think Simpson and HMac will manage full seasons next year. Given that, then our possible rucking option are Vardy (less than 200cm) blicavs (less than 200cm), and walker (less than 200cm). So if we get ryder (only 197 cm), then we may also need to look into a slightly bigger man to take the number 1 ruckman status. However, this would be difficult, so we need to really think these decisions through properly. My dream scenario would be:
Getting someone tall who is really good in the ruck to be #1 ruckman
Ryder as the #2 ruckman, and also pushing forward
The best of key forward out of Vardy, Kersten and Walker as the #2 key forward (and obviously Hawkins as #1 key forward). I think this would provide good balance.

Last edited:
Word is Giles wants out of GWS.

Get it done.

We are unlikely to get a Otto replacement straight away but with the big leprechaun starting out, Giles and one of Hmac or Daws on the list that gives us 1/2 a chance….

Now we just need to get it done…

Go Catters

No surprise on Giles wanting out, hopefully we go for it.
Ideally our 2nd rounder but with all the trades GWS will be doing (Jaksch etc) if they could jag a pick in the early 20's I would be fairly happy to swap our first rounder for that and Giles. (they will want to upgrade but it's an even draft so wouldnt be a bad option for us)

Interest piqued. It's the kind of move I favour for 2015 season with a big fish (no, not Paul Salmon) target in October 2015 when we have the money and HMac retiring.

Baulderstone is a good option but he is unlikely to have afl standard fitness for round 1 next year

No surprise on Giles wanting out, hopefully we go for it.
Ideally our 2nd rounder but with all the trades GWS will be doing (Jaksch etc) if they could jag a pick in the early 20's I would be fairly happy to swap our first rounder for that and Giles. (they will want to upgrade but it's an even draft so wouldnt be a bad option for us)

They activated an end of first round compensation pick(20) pick and have the third pick of the second round(23), Which will both move back at least once from the Frawely compensation pick.

Giles and pick 21 for pick 14
or
Giles and pick 24 for pick 14

I'm not really happy with either option but our second round pick won't be enough given than he isn't out of contract.

One issue I have with using a pick on Giles, is that we will have McIntosh, Simpson, Vardy, blitz and the Irishman, plus Giles.

My thought on this is that this is a lot of spots clogged up for one position, possibly two counting CHF. Then add in menz and Cowan, considering those first three rucks are not medically fit, there's 6 players that may not play next year.

That's a big risk.

They activated an end of first round compensation pick(20) pick and have the third pick of the second round(23), Which will both move back at least once from the Frawely compensation pick.

Giles and pick 21 for pick 14
or
Giles and pick 24 for pick 14

I'm not really happy with either option but our second round pick won't be enough given than he isn't out of contract.

Agree GWS hold the cards 10lana, but then again they sound as though they want to treat Giles in a reasonable and fair manner and get a trade done.

I'd love not to have to part with our first-rounder, would rather offer them a player, personally - hope you're wrong in this instance, but agree someone like Giles is an absolute priority ..

One issue I have with using a pick on Giles, is that we will have McIntosh, Simpson, Vardy, blitz and the Irishman, plus Giles.

My thought on this is that this is a lot of spots clogged up for one position, possibly two counting CHF. Then add in menz and Cowan, considering those first three rucks are not medically fit, there's 6 players that may not play next year.

That's a big risk.

yup, list starts to look top-heavy.
hopefully Giles is replacing one of Simpson or McIntosh.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2015 ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back