List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got home and heard about the Harley deal. People have already expressed similar opinions to mine on here, so I won't even bother with it. But I am starting to get annoyed with how we are playing everything out in the media. First the whole Bennell cluster-f***, but we've been actively saying we are after Howe, Seedsman, Currie, etc every day, and that these are the 'only guys we are targeting'. Why can't we just let it play out behind closed doors that way if we don't pull something off we don't end up with egg on our face for once.

Anyway, rant over. Hopefully we do something positive with all these draft picks. :)
I agree. I can only assume we're playing everything through the media is to let our members and fans feel a little better about losing Harley and Charlie, but it's not working.

More and more reports are coming in suggesting that Howe is going to Collingwood and Seedsman has had a last minute meeting with Adelaide before heading overseas again.

I just hope that hunt for these B grade players are being played out publicly while we've got secret negotiations going on privately - but based on what Ashcroft has said, it doesn't look likely at all.

Ashcroft is really becoming Tony Abott-esque with his stupid slips of the tongue and poor eloquence.

As much I think we're doing a good job getting draft picks in and building towards the future, I can't help but think that if we were to premiership it would be at least 5 years away (but probably closer to 6-8 years), and that the majority of the players from the 2011-2012 (maybe 2013) won't be in that premiership team, which just wouldn't feel right in my opinion. The more players I see go from that period makes me disappointed. It just wouldn't feel right if guys like Ablett, Prestia, Swallow, Harbrow, Stanley, Dixon, Bennell, Lynch, Shaw, Day, Matera etc. weren't there or if only a handful of those guys were there. I just hope we get Ablett a premiership before he retires. In my opinion, our first premiership team should mostly be made up of foundation players.
I know where you are coming from but realistically Suns are delusional if they think they can win a premiership in Abletts time. I'm a Suns member but also a realist. Too many people here just think finals and a premiership will happen - it isn't that easy !
Fremantle not won a premiership since inception - going 20 yrs. St Kilda 1 in 100 yrs, Bulldogs 1 in about the same. Melbourne no premiership since 1960's. All those clubs have a greater tradition and football experience than us.
That said - we are and will be a competitive side
I just think some supporters need to lower expectations and enjoy the ride - so what if we become a kindergarten for future stars - at least we get see them first !!!

Last edited:

I know where you are coming from but realistically Suns are delusional if they think they can win a premiership in Abletts time. I'm a Suns member but also a realist. Too many people here just think finals and a premiership will happen - it isn't that easy !
Fremantle not won a premiership since inception - going 20 yrs. St Kilda 1 in 100 yrs, Bulldogs 1 in about the same. Melbourne no premiership since 1960's. All those clubs have a greater tradition and football experience than us.
I just think some supporters need to lower expectations and enjoy the ride - so what if we become a kindergarten for future stars - at least we get see them first !!!

Well it just pains me to know that with all the concessions given to us are going to waste. The concessions were designed to be a fail-proof plan for success. We had all these concessions, which was our best chance of winning a premiership, and now we're pretty much starting at ground zero like every other club that enters a rebuild. It's like winning the lottery than pissing all the money away, and now we start from the bottom like again like everyone else.

It's also painful to see GWS going so well (I know they didn't make finals, but at the start of the year after beating Hawthorn they looked like a top 4 team). With a little more consistency I wouldn't be surprised if GWS made the top 4 next year. I know GWS had better draft concessions, but they did pretty much everything right and a premiership is probably only 3 years away for them.

The 2010-2012 (2013 to a lesser extent) group of players is the reason I started following the suns, and to see the majority of them not winning a premiership is extremely disappointing, especially after all the pain we initially went through.

Well it just pains me to know that with all the concessions given to us are going to waste. The concessions were designed to be a fail-proof plan for success. We had all these concessions, which was our best chance of winning a premiership, and now we're pretty much starting at ground zero like every other club that enters a rebuild. It's like winning the lottery than pissing all the money away, and now we start from the bottom like again like everyone else.

It's also painful to see GWS going so well (I know they didn't make finals, but at the start of the year after beating Hawthorn they looked like a top 4 team). With a little more consistency I wouldn't be surprised if GWS made the top 4 next year. I know GWS had better draft concessions, but they did pretty much everything right and a premiership is probably only 3 years away for them.

The 2010-2012 (2013 to a lesser extent) group of players is the reason I started following the suns, and to see the majority of them not winning a premiership is extremely disappointing, especially after all the pain we initially went through.
Geez calm down a bit. It's not that bad. Sure we've had a horrible year but just remember we haven't had a full list playing for a long time. Bennell and Dixon were not good to the team. Rocket showed this year he can get some great footy out of us and that's with a 90% injured list. I for one can't wait for 2016!

I'm going to have the unpopular opinion here, I like the statement the club has made.. It's saying we don't care how good you are, nobody is bigger than the club, yes we've lost him cheaply, freo got a bargain and I'll be hoping he mucks up immediately now. Then we look like geniuses. The key now is to use our numerous good picks, bundle them up and get something or someone top line.

Geez calm down a bit. It's not that bad. Sure we've had a horrible year but just remember we haven't had a full list playing for a long time. Bennell and Dixon were not good to the team. Rocket showed this year he can get some great footy out of us and that's with a 90% injured list. I for one can't wait for 2016!
I know that, but we have some serious problems and it's still very disappointing seeing players leave. Almost all hope of having Ablett playing in a premiership with the suns is gone. In the space of a little over 2 years it's gone from 'suns are going be a juggernaut for the next 10 years and dominate everyone in the comp' to 'this club has some serious problems, a premiership should be the last thing they're thinking about'. People are even suggesting the club folds altogether.

I know that, but we have some serious problems and it's still very disappointing seeing players leave. Almost all hope of having Ablett playing in a premiership with the suns is gone. In the space of a little over 2 years it's gone from 'suns are going be a juggernaut for the next 10 years and dominate everyone in the comp' to 'this club has some serious problems, a premiership should be the last thing they're thinking about'. People are even suggesting the club folds altogether.
We've made changes this year to set us up for finals next year. The club is in the best shape ever IMO. The Bulldogs seemed like the worst place in the world 12 months ago but look at them now.

Id love us to bundle 10 and 16 or 19 for 5.. try and get curnow and francis, use our next pick to get Gresham.. try and get Seedsman and Curry..
Its not all doom and gloom... quality always rises to the top providing, one, they can get on the park and two we have the right culture..
We have addressed both those issues with Cordy in and Dixon/Bennell out.
Next year we will be the new Eagles..
Ablett, Swallow, Prestia, oMeara...they are the new recruits that will have us soaring to the finals..
Watch for Martin next year too.. I think we will be battling to remember who Harley is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically not many AFL players win a premiership. Why should 2010-2013 Suns players be different . No disrespect but being a new club doesn't improve their chances.

Realistically not many AFL players win a premiership. Why should 2010-2013 Suns players be different . No disrespect but being a new club doesn't improve their chances.
When did I say being a new club has anything to do with it? It's been proven that the more talent you have, the more likely you are to successful. It's about the amount of talent we had. Just look at GWS and where they're heading.

We've made changes this year to set us up for finals next year. The club is in the best shape ever IMO. The Bulldogs seemed like the worst place in the world 12 months ago but look at them now.
Trading players from our best 22 for draft picks sounds more like setting us up for 5 years down the track, more so then setting us up for next year. Also, drug, culture, leadership, development, medical, player and coach retention, high performance problems doesn't sound like the best shape ever in my opinion.

Also, the bulldogs didn't have many problems. It was mainly just on-field problems such as gameplan and structure. Off-field, doggies had pretty much no problems except maybe the finance department. The dogs also have a core group of quality senior players to guide them.

When did I say being a new club has anything to do with it? It's been proven that the more talent you have, the more likely you are to successful. It's about the amount of talent we had. Just look at GWS and where they're heading.
They finished in the same position we finished in at the end of the 4th season. Don't act like players haven't left their club. They may have had a lot more concessions than us but they also have had a lot more players leave.

Trading players from our best 22 for draft picks sounds more like setting us up for 5 years down the track, more so then setting us up for next year. Also, drug, culture, leadership, development, medical, player and coach retention, high performance problems doesn't sound like the best shape ever in my opinion.

Also, the bulldogs didn't have many problems. It was mainly just on-field problems such as gameplan and structure. Off-field, doggies had pretty much no problems except maybe the finance department. The dogs also have a core group of quality senior players to guide them.
Bennell and Hunt left with the club investigating and removing players that were apart of a "drug culture", Lynch, KK, May and Prestia have grown massively as leaders in 2015, New high performance manager who has impressed O'Meara, Prestia and Swallow so far plus is a fav of Rocket. speaking of Rodney Eade he is significantly changed things and not let players like Matera and Mckenzie have a free ride.

They finished in the same position we finished in at the end of the 4th season. Don't act like players haven't left their club. They may have had a lot more concessions than us but they also have had a lot more players leave.
That's because they have more concessions and a bigger list, which means more quality players aren't getting games. The majority of their players who leave aren't in their best 22. And players leaving them isn't that big a deal for them cause they have top 10 draft picks who can't even get a game (despite dominating in the NEAFL).

For the most part, their players are leaving cause they can't fit everyone in the side. Our players are leaving because they are losing hope in where we are going.

That was their whole idea when they recruited

That's because they have more concessions and a bigger list, which means more quality players aren't getting games. The majority of their players who leave aren't in their best 22. And players leaving them isn't that big a deal for them cause they have top 10 draft picks who can't even get a game (despite dominating in the NEAFL).

For the most part, their players are leaving cause they can't fit everyone in the side. Our players are leaving because they are losing hope in where we are going.
Bennell was ousted by the club, Dixon wanted more money and loves Hinkley and Smith wanted more opportunity. I don't know a player that has left that lost hope in the club.

Bennell and Hunt left with the club investigating and removing players that were apart of a "drug culture", Lynch, KK, May and Prestia have grown massively as leaders in 2015, New high performance manager who has impressed O'Meara, Prestia and Swallow so far plus is a fav of Rocket. speaking of Rodney Eade he is significantly changed things and not let players like Matera and Mckenzie have a free ride.
We still could have about 4-6 players from that post-season golf trip and the one who was with Harley when he did the cocaine (if he wasn't on the golf trip). Leadership is improving, but still lacking in my opinion. Player retention is still an ongoing problem and to my knowledge, medical problems still haven't been fully resolved,

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back