2015 Trading period - the wash up

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-period-winners-and-losers/story-fndv7pj3-1227578519929

LOSERS

ADELAIDE

IN: Paul Seedsman (Collingwood), Curtly Hampton (GWS), Dean Gore (Geelong), Troy Menzel (Carlton)

OUT: Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong), Sam Kerridge (Carlton)

DRAFT PICKS: 9, 13, 71, 89, 107, 125

Couldn’t have recovered much better from losing one of the best three players in the competition but in US monetary terms they’ve replaced a $1 coin (Dangerfield) with three quarters (Seedsman, Hampton, Menzel) and a dime (Gore).

The early draft picks are great given the lack of first round talent this club has secured in recent years but this trade period likely keeps the Crows a year or two away from legitimately contending.

pretty ******* disrespectful

US monetary terms hey?
They dont have a farking dollar coin. Which afl.com.au spud was that? Can someone get on twitter and abuse the living crap out of them?

We lost with the Dangerfield trade, especially seeing what Essendon and GWS were able to get - situation was tough given all of Geelong's targets but the return still wasn't ideal. Gore would have to become a pretty decent player for that trade to be considered a 'win'.

Happy with the other 3 players we've brought in who are meant to be speedy/skillful players which if they come good, will really add to our list. They're all in the right age bracket as we should be really looking to challenge in the next couple of years so I'm happy we've brought in some guys in that 20-23 age bracket.

Still a couple of areas of concern on our list but I guess it's hard to ever be fully satisfied, be interesting to see who we draft.

"We've restocked in the age demographic that we were hamstrung with in previous years due to the circumstances." - Noble #weflyasone

As much as I agree with Nobes there, I hope we can stop referring to 'the circumstances' soon, if not now. With everyday it becomes more and more irrelevant, and while I think we all acknowledge it, we need to bury it.

Why would any Australian reporter write in terms of quarters and dimes? What the hell is a dime? How much is it? Surely he could have used 20 c pieces and dollareydoos?

Not to mention the US have dollar bills not coins. If you're going to use an analogy at least know wtf you are talking about.

"We've restocked in the age demographic that we were hamstrung with in previous years due to the circumstances." - Noble #weflyasone

As much as I agree with Nobes there, I hope we can stop referring to 'the circumstances' soon, if not now. With everyday it becomes more and more irrelevant, and while I think we all acknowledge it, we need to bury it.
agree. hopefully this is the trade period that kills it

Really surprised Wright either had no trade value .....or he was un-prepared to move interstate ?

I'm not surprised, he turns 26 in a few weeks and has never really made a real impact during his career.

Players like that just hold no value to opposition clubs, his only hope is that we rookie him for 2016 (which wouldn't surprised me).

OK.. done some checking. We should be able to put Jaensch on the LTI list after all. Here's the relevant section from the 2015 AFL Rules document:

However, the club needs to put him on the list well before the start of the playing season. Once added to the LTI list, he can't come off it (and thus can't play at AFL or SANFL level) for a minimum of 8 weeks.

So even though we could, we probably shouldnt and wont?

looking at our list it becomes apparent who replaces who in our starting 22 from the final against hawks with this trade period now over. Leaving pick 9 and 13 out of it who hopefully will end up being a grade talent.
Mackay / Seedsman
Dangerfield / B Crouch (injured), Ellis Yoleman
VB / Hampton
Atkins / Menzel
Cheney / Lever
We could never replace danger with a like for like unless we got somebody like parker etc.. Overall a step in the right direction. Our rd 1 team could end up looking something like this;

Brown Talia Lever
Seedsman Hartigan Laird
Smith Thompson Sloane
Menzel Walker Lynch
Cameron Jenkins Betts
Jacobs MCrouch BCrouch
Douglas, Hampton, Cey, Knight.

We lost with the Dangerfield trade, especially seeing what Essendon and GWS were able to get - situation was tough given all of Geelong's targets but the return still wasn't ideal. Gore would have to become a pretty decent player for that trade to be considered a 'win'.

Happy with the other 3 players we've brought in who are meant to be speedy/skillful players which if they come good, will really add to our list. They're all in the right age bracket as we should be really looking to challenge in the next couple of years so I'm happy we've brought in some guys in that 20-23 age bracket.

Still a couple of areas of concern on our list but I guess it's hard to ever be fully satisfied, be interesting to see who we draft.

I agree. Just look at what Essendon got for Carlisle, Carlton got for Henderson and GWS got for Treloar compared to what we got for Dangerfield.

He can and we probably will, because we can put him on it in February if we want.

With the 8 weeks that takes you into April though and the start of the season.
Does that ban him from SANFL games too? I bet it does. We would want him to be playing around that time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking at our list it becomes apparent who replaces who in our starting 22 from the final against hawks with this trade period now over. Leaving pick 9 and 13 out of it who hopefully will end up being a grade talent.
Mackay / Seedsman
Dangerfield / B Crouch (injured), Ellis Yoleman
VB / Hampton
Atkins / Menzel
Cheney / Lever
We could never replace danger with a like for like unless we got somebody like parker etc.. Overall a step in the right direction. Our rd 1 team could end up looking something like this;

Brown Talia Lever
Seedsman Hartigan Laird
Smith Thompson Sloane
Menzel Walker Lynch
Cameron Jenkins Betts
Jacobs MCrouch BCrouch
Douglas, Hampton, Cey, Knight.

Atkins wasn't in the team against Hawthorn.

With the 8 weeks that takes you into April though and the start of the season.
Does that ban him from SANFL games too? I bet it does. We would want him to be playing around that time?

What round did he do his knee? I thought it was around R8. I personally wouldn't want him playing games 10 months after doing the knee as they are generally regarded as 12 month injuries.

Well I'm a massive cynic and even I think we did okay this trade period.

Dangerfield was a no-win scenario for us. We could of gotten pick 14 or nothing at all so to come out with Gore, Pick 9 & Pick 28 (used for Troy Menzel) is a good result really. Obviously still not a win overall but acceptable given the circumstances.

Obviously Gore is still an unknown so it's hard to judge but I'm glad we didn't go with Murdoch. The mere fact that Cats supporters kept throwing his name up made me instantly skeptical about him.

32 for Seedsman is about par. Lots of question marks but at the very least he will create competition for spots. Also we desperately need run and carry out of defense and he seems to be the right type of player for that.

Hampton. Honestly don't really know anything about him. He brings speed though which is a need. Some people are saying we paid overs but we won't really know that until the end of next year.

Troy Menzel is a good get. We only had to give up a pick we weren't going to use and a player we weren't going to select. Feels like a freebie really.

So yes we ate a giant shit sandwich with Dangerfield leaving but at least we have toothpicks.

On the Dangerfield trade; I think we could have got more for Dangerfield if we drew the process out. People here were calling Essendon idiots but look what they got for Carlisle who is not even in the top 50 AFL players. Look what GWS got for Treloar. I said before the trade period that it's a good tactic to go in really high and not agree quickly or easily, drag it out if necessary. It may have hindered other trades to do that but I think we could have got them done and I'm still leaning towards that being a better tactic for overall value. Who cares if people think we're nice or not, they'd still deal with us, it's just business.

Gore may have been a great pickup but he hasn't played AFL so who knows. Showed a stack in the VFL, could be a great find, or not, but the risk is well worth it to take him as part of the deal. Hampton, Seedsman and Menzel have shown inconsistency and are no guarantee to play 150 games but the risk is also worth it considering the holes in our list, and as an alternative I wouldn't be comfortable breaking the bank for outside players. We didn't pay a lot for them so this was done pretty well from our end.

We didn't get a good quality midfielder which I think we need. You can't rely on Brad Crouch or no injuries to other players.

I believe our recruiters are on the same page as others in regards to the depth of this draft. I think we've deliberately avoided draft picks after 15, ended up with two picks where the quality is great and another for a rookie upgrade.

Summary:
  1. I think we could have got more for Dangerfield;
  2. Addressed needs with players worth the risk for good value;
  3. Might have a beauty in Gore;
  4. Didn't pick up a good quality midfielder;
  5. Got out of the shit part of the draft and
  6. Got an extra pick inside the top 15.
Overall the recruiters did reasonably well, I'd give it a straight B.

Were Collingwood allowed to trade both their first and second round picks next year or am I missing something. From what I have seen they trade their first to GWS and second to Brisbane.

Just posted this in the Noble thread:

Think we were on a hiding to nothing with the Dangerfield trade. It's a bit like breaking your leg the week before a holiday. You're never going to have the outcome you wanted but you make the most of it.

Menzel is the type of deal we've all been screaming out for years and I think Hampton and Seedsman will see serious game time in 2016 so they're both positives. Gore I don't know too much about so jury is out for me but any contribution he makes is a win.

Probably the best off season we've had in a long while (and sure beats sanctions).

The holiday becomes sick leave, so you end up with a holiday and a half because you get another one later without a broken leg. That's the stuff of dreams mate, but I've never had enough luck.

If we had been able to offload Dmac for a pick which we could have bundled for an upgrade of 13 to something in the top ten then would have been the best ever. Getting Parker would have sent many over the edge.
Think it was a very solid B as it has filled in an age and games played demographic that was a hole from the Tippett sanctions.
I think this year with what has happened and how the club has gone about it has garnered a lot of respect from the players around the league. Having three players wanting to come back to play for the tricolours stands us in good stead as well as Gore who I think could turn into a cracking player.

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 Trading period - the wash up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back