FB Hurn Emac Schofield
HB Wellingham Brown Sheppard
C Gaff Sheed Duggan
HF Lecras Kennedy Darling
FF Cripps McGovern Hill
R Naitanui Shuey Yeo

I Masten Hutchings Priddis Sinclair

E Nelson Butler Rosa Lycett Ellis

Still not good enough to win a flag. Midfield still weak.

Which young player other than Duggan steps up and has a breakout year? Newman?

Are Jetta and/or Redden automatic Best 22?

We have the best forward line in the league but couldn't take our chances.

Last edited:
FB:Butler Emac Nelson
HB:Wellingham Schoey Sheppard
C:Gaff Yeo Duggan
HF:Jetta McGovern Darling
FF LeCras Kennedy Cripps

Ruck: Nic Shuey Priddis

Interchange: Masten, Sheed, Lycett, Redden

E: Hutchings, Sinclair, Hill, Lamb, Ellis

FB:Butler Emac Nelson
HB:Wellingham Schoey Sheppard
C:Gaff Yeo Duggan
HF:Jetta McGovern Darling
FF LeCras Kennedy Cripps

Ruck: Nic Shuey Priddis

Interchange: Masten, Sheed, Lycett, Redden

E: Hutchings, Sinclair, Hill, Lamb, Ellis

No Hurn?

FB: Nelson Emac Hurn

HB: Wellingham McGovern Sheppard

C: Gaff Priddis Masten

HF: Yeo Kennedy H.Bennell

FF Cripps Lamb Lecras

R: NicNat Shuey Sheed

INT: Masten Sinclair Duggan Hutchings

Hurn, Mackenzie, Schofield
Wellingham, McGovern, Sheppard
Gaff, Sheed, Duggan
Le Cras, Kennedy, Jetta
Cripps, McInnes, Darling

Naitanui, Priddis, Shuey

Yeo, Masten, Redden, Ellis

McGovern/McInnes providing support to Naitanui. Forward line functioned better when McInnes was there.

FB: Nelson Emac Hurn

HB: Wellingham McGovern Sheppard

C: Gaff Priddis Masten

HF: Yeo Kennedy H.Bennell

FF Cripps Lamb Lecras

INT: Masten Sinclair Duggan Hutchings

Ive gone for a hybrid forward line with Kennedy being the only Genuine tall forward ive selected. What i've done instead is include 3 hybrid forwards who should provide plenty a) On the lead, b) In the air as a second or third man up across the pack ( ala Josh Hill), c) Running back towards goals as we break from defence and d) Once the ball hits the ground. This of course is all gained at the cost of raw marking power, however there is still the opportunity to swing McGovern forward while still retaining some integrity down back in Schoey and Emac.

All of the other selections are pretty vanilla. Some great drive off the backline but the midfield is a little weak. Contested marking power around the ground will also be a little bit of an issue without Darling in the side, but if a few of Lamb, Bennell or Yeo can run hard up the ground and provide marking targets it should alleviate that a little.

i'd like the Eagles to select their forward line based on accuracy. Hawks slotted them from everywhere and we shanked them regularly from dead in front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, maybe as a second ruckman?
I reckon we could try a system where our 2nd ruckman is a KPF/KPD combo. Naitanui main ruckman then given a chop out by McGov and McInnes. Means we are steady up both ends and we're not carrying a tall lump like we ended up doing today.

I reckon we could try a system where our 2nd ruckman is a KPF/KPD combo. Naitanui main ruckman then given a chop out by McGov and McInnes. Means we are steady up both ends and we're not carrying a tall lump like we ended up doing today.

Like it.

A McGov/Mccinnes 2nd ruckman combo would definitely give us heaps more around the ground.

The biggest problem I see with it though is that it might increase the stress on both the body of Nic Nat and Mcgovern.

FB: Scofield Emac Hurn

HB: Wellingham brown Sheppard

C: Gaff Priddis jetta

HF: Yeo Kennedy masten

FF Cripps McGovern Lecras

INT: Duggan (???3 spots for who wants it???)

Sinclair traded for jetta, gov to play the forward/ruck role. 3 spots for the rest

In: Eric Mackenzie ~ Mitch Brown ~ Fraser McInnes ~ Liam Duggan
Out: Sam Butler ~ Mark Hutchings ~ Callum Sinclair ~ Josh Hill

Hard team to pick. Nearly missed out Yeo, was only when looking through the ins and outs I realized he was missing

BACKS - Will Schofield ~ Eric Mackenzie ~ Brad Sheppard

HALF BACKS - Shannon Hurn (C) ~ Mitch Brown/ Tom Barrass ~ Sharrod Wellingham

WINGS - Elliott Yeo ~ Dom Sheed
CENTRE - Matt Priddis

FOLLOWERS - Nic Naitanui ~ Luke Shuey ~ Andrew Gaff

HALF FORWARDS - Jack Darling ~ Jeremy McGovern ~ Mark LeCras

FULL FORWARDS - Jamie Cripps ~ Josh Kennedy ~ Fraser McInnes

INTERCHANGE - Chris Masten ~ Xavier Ellis ~ Liam Duggan ~ Matt Rosa

EMERGENCIES: Tom Barrass ~ Sam Butler ~ Jack Redden ~ Scott Lycett

Like the idea of a flexible second ruck in Jeremy or Fraser. Think someone like Sinclair needs to be thrown into a trade to get a deal done for Jetta or Redden.

Hutchings unlucky to go from starting 21 to outside the emergencies but if we land Jack Redden he will need to be on a list of players to make way.

Mitch Brown I think is in our best 22, but it all depends on match ups. I'm preparing to roll the dice with Barrass as third tall.

To me Brown and Mckenzie come in for Ellis and Butler. Some say it would be too tall but Hawks play Lake, Frawley, Stratton and Gibson.

Ellis and Butler were there for experience which we we sadly have now.

Still have Hurn, Schofield, Wellingham and Sep for run, smalls and counter attack.

Midfield is Duggan in and either Rosa or Hutchings out. Depending on trades both could be out for Redden/Jetta. If we get Redden and Jetta, Masten is on thin ice.

Lycett in for Sinclair because Sinclair can't ruck. Even though NN wasn't great he still won taps and clearances.

Forward line is obviously McGovern going to CHF with Darling becoming third tall. Lecras, Hill and Cripps as small forwards.

I reckon we will improve our best 22 by around five (maybe even 6) players which is pretty damn awesome if you ask me. :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

Reckon you'll see this in the preseason, injuries permitting.

Wear & tear is a major factor.

We need Newman, Lycett and Duggan to have a huge preseasons.

Agreed.

Duggan will be sweet, was saying after his handful of games I can't wait to see this boy after another preseason or two.

Newman & Lycett will need to show something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back